Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids - what's the point?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

I love kids, all kids, I think they're hilarious and their sweet innocence makes me smile :)

I do however think some parents aren't fit to have children. I work in a clothes shop and while the parents are paying at the till their kids are throwing clothes on the ground, tearing the price tags off the garments and generally wrecking the place.

A fit parent would tell them to STOP.

But recently I decided to ask a mother to tell her child to calm down and stop messing with the tags and she took the head off me.

Unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    I love kids, all kids, I think they're hilarious and their sweet innocence makes me smile :)

I do however think some parents aren't fit to have children. I work in a clothes shop and while the parents are paying at the till their kids are throwing clothes on the ground, tearing the price tags off the garments and generally wrecking the place.

A fit parent would tell them to STOP.

But recently I decided to ask a mother to tell her child to calm down and stop messing with the tags and she took the head off me.

Unbelievable.

Explains your Avatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Why would it be devestating? I can't understand that. Why don't they find something else that is fulfilling? Basing your happiness on kids is really sad IMO.

Why would it be devastating? Oh come on, some women spend their whole life wanting children.

A lot of people wouldn't find out that they were infertile until they had been trying for a baby for a while, then to be told it's not going to happen is of course devastating.

Then of course couples who are planning children tend to have a lot of friends who start having their own, it's hard not to be sad about what you're missing out on when you're reminded of it all the time.

I'm sure some people do find other fulfilling things to do with their life but for some, nothing will ever replace what they feel like they missed out on, no matter how great the rest of their lives are.

I think it's sad too that some people won't be happy without children but I think it's sad in that I feel great sympathy for them although I presume you meant something different!

Kasabian wrote: »
    Explains your Avatar.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

krudler wrote: »
    that pisses me off too, as if people who cant or dont have kids are living pointless lives, fcuk off.

Ah yes, the oft trotted out "It's a pity your parents didn't feel the same as you before they had you" (Condescending sneer optional)
    Think it's had a few appearances in this very thread.
    Because you are worthless and your presence makes fcuk all difference in the world if you don't breed dontchaknow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I adore kids, hence why I work in a creche, but they're a hell of a lot of hard work.

I love the children I work with, but I also love going home to my little child-free house at the end of the day. I kinda always figured I'd have kids because I love them so much, but I get 100% why some people don't want them, and fair play to them for admitting it.

My brother and his wife never want kids. I don't think its a bit fair that people pat her arm and say 'some day' to her like she's trying desperately to conceive. She's perfectly happy with her family of german shepherds!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

There is nothing wrong with not wanting children just like there is nothing wrong with wanting children - issues do happen when one half of a couple wants children and the other half does not, I feel sorry for the children in these cases if they happen.

I have been protective and "maternal" since I was a young child and it would have broken my heart not to have children somehow yet 5 years ago I was faced with not being able to have them due to essential medical treatment - I chose life (did not have my eggs frozen) but we have been very lucky to have ours as well.

I love being a parent - there are so many wonderful little things that they do in every day that make me smile and I love seeing them happy, I love having my daughter in my arms and watching her sleep, I love seeing my son playing with his little sister, I love seeing them develop into little people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

What?

You said something along the lines of someone having taken the head off you. The humour he was poking at was that your avatar, is actually a picture of a head, which doesn't appear to be attached to a body! So she eat the head off you, but there's only a picture of a head.

No wait it would have been a joke if there was just a picture of a body. She didn't eat the body off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

that pisses me off too, as if people who cant or dont have kids are living pointless lives, fcuk off.

In fairness, most of the time when that's said it's in retaliation to people who say that kids are all little bastards and who wonder what the appeal is in parenting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

What?

Never mind. :o

• Advertisement

You said something along the lines of someone having taken the head off you. The humour he was poking at was that your avatar, is actually a picture of a head, which doesn't appear to be attached to a body! So she eat the head off you, but there's only a picture of a head.

No wait it would have been a joke if there was just a picture of a body. She didn't eat the body off you.
    Kasabian wrote: »
    Never mind. :o

Lol'ing ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

you know who get on my tits? people who "as a parent" now think they're some vessel of knowledge about life because they made a kid.

The power just goes to your head. You can pretty much tell your kids anything and they will unquestionably belive you. You become an authority or any subject, because you learn that saying 'I don't know' is just not going to cut it with an inquisitive 3 year old.

My kids think that the toy duck from the bath, snuck downstairs yesterday and ate the last Jaffa cake.

Obviously, he didn't, he more of a hob nob fan, and besides, I actually ate the Jaffa cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

You do learn alot from having kids though.
    Just like you learn alot from any major life experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

A woman was in the shop I work in with her two kids- one was in a buggy and was emitting ear piercing screams and the other was tugging at the mother's elbow saying "I'll buy you this if we can go home straight away, can we mommy"- about 20 times a minute. Good advert for contraception...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Good advert for contraception...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Acoshla wrote: »
    Gwyneth Paltrow recently said that having children gives your life real purpose. Cheers Gywnnie, how to kick infertile people when they're down!

Maybe she's talking about her own life?

I don't know why people take this stuff personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

OP, since nobody has conclusively answered your question yet allow me-

Kids- whats the point?

The point is the original name for the O2 arena in Dublin.

p.s. please don't assume that everyone reading after hours is a kid the next time you ask a question.

*Close thread*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

sideswipe wrote: »
    *Close thread*

That only works if you say it in bold
    .... aaaand are a mod....!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Bbbut I am a Mod, The Jam and The Who are my favorite bands of all time, I drive a scooter and where a parka.

Can't wait to have kids some day.. Most likely half Asian. From teaching 6 year olds here, have to say that kids are adorable sometimes..
    Ya have little cúnts aswell but the nice ones make it worth it. Along with the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's obnoxious to pronounce your preference as the one everyone else should have - that applies to some parents AND some non parents. I understand people being pissed off about smug platitudes from certain parents, but I don't understand angry threads like this which start off essentially expressing resentment towards people who are parents. And the rash of thanks. If you don't want to have kids, fine - no need to feel the world should know about how you're making a stand though. I sometimes wonder whether, in some cases, that is symptomatic of actually deep down wanting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Maybe she's talking about her own life?

I don't know why people take this stuff personally.

She was actually saying it about some friend of hers that's pregnant and said she is happy for her because having kids will give her life real meaning, sure I don't give a sh*te about kids but I just thought I would never say that about a friend of mine, it just sounds like until now you're life was pointless, I just thought it was a funny insult more than anything.

A parent saying they feel sorry for those who don't have kids, or that those who don't have kids don't fully understand the impact of terrible things etc - these are vile things to say to someone whose fertility you have no idea of, but simply describing your own experiences as a parent is fair enough, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Dudess wrote: »
    A parent saying they feel sorry for those who don't have kids, or that those who don't have kids don't fully understand the impact of terrible things etc - these are vile things to say to someone whose fertility you have no idea of, but simply describing your own experiences as a parent is fair enough, surely?

Or worse again "you're next" or "when are ye going ti give us news".

Before I ever even thought of children, I had a photo of my much beloved dog on my desk at work. My boss was an absolute cretin who had a path worn in the carpet to my desk. He was younger than me and had two little children and he was of the opinion that they defined his life, which was fine, for him.

Yet, he persisted on pestering everyone else about it. He spied the photo on one of his many trekking my progress trips and guffawed aloud to the whole office "you clearly don't have children then". I thought to myself, what a moron. I didn't have children, nor was I even thinking about it but what If I had been trying? And had difficulties?

People really need to develop more empathy and engage their brain before their mouth.

What a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

What a ****.

He was the reason I, and six others left a very good job. He left himself after less than a year having purged the department of 7 of it's best employees.

Strange thing is he's not alone in his views and in his self appointed God given right to make comments on people's children or lack thereof. I hear it from people who should know better ALL the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

He spied the photo on one of his many trekking my progress trips and guffawed aloud to the whole office "you clearly don't have children then".

You should have said...no I don't so I put up a photo of one of yours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

It's obnoxious to pronounce your preference as the one everyone else should have - that applies to some parents AND some non parents. I understand people being pissed off about smug platitudes from certain parents, but I don't understand angry threads like this which start off essentially expressing resentment towards people who are parents. And the rash of thanks. If you don't want to have kids, fine - no need to feel the world should know about how you're making a stand though. I sometimes wonder whether, in some cases, that is symptomatic of actually deep down wanting them.

In fairness people talk about being parents all the live-long day.
    Just log in to facebook or any of the innumerable sites dedicated to parenting.
    Why should people who aren't not talk about it?
    It's nice to talk to people you have something in common with especially when your parent friends are off being parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Why would it be devestating? I can't understand that. Why don't they find something else that is fulfilling? Basing your happiness on kids is really sad IMO.

Because people want different things in life. If you're cock stopped working tomorrow would you just say "ah well, might as well take up a hobby to take my mind off it"? No you wouldn't. The same way people who can't have kids are devastated by it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

smash wrote: »
    Because people want different things in life. If you're cock stopped working tomorrow would you just say "ah well, might as well take up a hobby to take my mind off it"? No you wouldn't. The same way people who can't have kids are devastated by it.

Well yes I'd be gutted that I would no longer be a sexual being but I'd like to think I'd deal with it.
    My main point was that I don't understand why people think life is unfulfilled without kids. I know a lesbian couple who are determined to have a kid someday, could they not just pass up on this, I don't understand why it's necessary.

Advertisement