Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers Getting Fresh??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

This has really got me thinking, if they didn't do this then think of all the money the needy would lose at the cost of us being mildly insulted and harassed but there has to be regulation on how these chuggers operate there are limits.

And again I'll say shame on those office bruts of these charities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Swear I saw them today, practically side stepping into people who were walking fast as possible to avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Anyone ever see chugger approach a black african or a homeless person and say want to help your own kind?

- Yep black people were very generous
    - asian never gave
    - Eastern europeans also were very generous
    - Homeless people would just annoy you

She did teach me to not annoy people in public.

Well she obviously didnt teach you well enough if you're sticking your finger up at people in public -

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Spent a whole summer working a long side these people. I was working in tourism sector and had a good few run ins with them. When they were around it was very difficult to make sales.
    I believe they are employed by the same people who employ the sales reps who call to your door from the likes of Airtricity and Sky.
    "I'm working at the moment" used to be a good one to get rid of them. Or maybe it was the fact that every time I was stationed beside them, outside of Clery's, I used to laugh at when they failed to make sales! They didn't appreciate my humour! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

What laws do they operate under? Are they classed as street-traders?

Also there are laws against aggressive begging. I don't think there's much difference between what beggars and chuggers do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭suzie987

You could try this in future OP :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

face1990 wrote: »

Also there are laws against aggressive begging. I don't think there's much difference between what beggars and chuggers do.
    Well there's definite competition. I saw a guy totally berate a fellow chugger one day because she set up her table on his spot. Talk about a hostile takeover!

They should be legally required to disclose in advance to their targets how much commission they are getting and how much of the donation actually goes towards good causes.

I'm almost sure they do have to tell you that they're paid fundraisers by law.
    What protections do vulnerable people have from chuggers who sell them a ''product'' they cannot afford ?

YOu can just go to your bank and cancel your direct debit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

ooo come on please they think there charming now :pac:

no no they don't :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Can't stand the fcukers. A lot of them collect dole and get paid from the charity at the same time.

Next time I encounter one I am gonna ask them how much they give to their charity from their commision. :cool:

• Advertisement

Karona wrote: »
    Can't stand the fcukers. A lot of them collect dole and get paid from the charity at the same time.

Next time I encounter one I am gonna ask them how much they give to their charity from their commision. :cool:
    Yeah I wonder how many of them are actually signed up for €15 a month to their 'chosen' charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

A couple of weeks ago this guy asked me for money for a dog charity.

I showed him the big scar in my face and told him a dog bit me when I was a kid.

And that was the end of it.

face1990 wrote: »

From working along side them during the summer ... I believe they are classed as street traders. I noticed that they all have photo ids strapped around their necks. Not sure if they are official ids or if they are just supplied by their employers.

Barna77 wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago this guy asked me for money for a dog charity.

I showed him the big scar in my face and told him a dog bit me when I was a kid.

And that was the end of it.
    Not sure what that has to do with anything.

Because 'A' dog bit you once (my sympathies in all sincerity) that means the whole doggie world should be denied charity?

This thread is about how chuggers operate not that it involves charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Folks need to realise that the chuggers don't give fiddlers about the cause or charity they work for - they are professional fundraisers who would happily work for a KKK charity if it paid.
    They are all obnoxious and no one charity is worse than the other though PAWS would test my commitment in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Not sure what that has to do with anything.

Because 'A' dog bit you once (my sympathies in all sincerity) that means the whole doggie world should be denied charity?

This thread is about how chuggers operate not that it involves charity.
    Suppose yeah, but that's how I got rid of him. Just told him don't dare asking me money for dogs...

Cruel me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Cruises street in Limerick is the hotspot for the chuggers, however they are easy enough to brush off.

What I hate are the ones that call your front door, how dare they to be honest. had a crowd a few weeks ago looking for me to donate to a childrens charity, I said - sorry lads but I already support a charity.

They started to launch into their pitch regardless, I interuppted with 'I have five grand in arrears in my mortgage maybe call back when I have it cleared'

To which they replied - 'how many babies will have died in the meantime?' - i politlely closed the door on the their faces.

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Cruises street in Limerick is the hotspot for the chuggers, however they are easy enough to brush off.

What I hate are the ones that call your front door, how dare they to be honest. had a crowd a few weeks ago looking for me to donate to a childrens charity, I said - sorry lads but I already support a charity.

They started to launch into their pitch regardless, I interuppted with 'I have five grand in arrears in my mortgage maybe call back when I have it cleared'

To which they replied - 'how many babies will have died in the meantime?' - i politlely closed the door on the their faces.
    Wow that's pretty strong. I tell them about my 6k debt and they start asking about my drinking habits and what not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Delancey wrote: »
    Folks need to realise that the chuggers don't give fiddlers about the cause or charity they work for - they are professional fundraisers who would happily work for a KKK charity if it paid.
    They are all obnoxious and no one charity is worse than the other though PAWS would test my commitment in that regard.

I must admit, PAWS, have this almost untouched longevity to their scam and I call it a scam because it is no less than a scam. Chuggers are paid and then it goes to the "official fund raising professional" who takes a cut, minus costs, stock etc. etc. No tax is paid anywhere and the turnover is massive. After that the actual "charity" PAWS is meant to get its share. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. PAWS in particular have been featured in the news for running their "chugging" activities at the expense of local animal charities and for running foul of the actual law on sending people out to collect for them. The license they have is not valid. I understand that PAWS have hired someone independent of them to run this activity, but they are in agreement with the tactics used.

Overall, the entire concept of chugging needs regulation as it is nothing more than an earner for innocent students/arseholes on the streets, while its making serious money for the "officially" recognised charities and the mickey mouse ones, who are using "agents". Concern and Trocaire, may seem unsavoury, but they are legitimate and traceable. PAWS in particular is nothing more than an unaccountable, tax evading, disaster, that's making a few people wealthy, while holding the actual charity to ransom. But then, PAWS are happy with this.

Donate very carefully.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Wow that's pretty strong. I tell them about my 6k debt and they start asking about my drinking habits and what not.

See that's your problem, your showing an interest just say no straight off the bat, the minute you stop your a potential customer.

• Advertisement

The only unusual response I have gotten from one of these agents was a few weeks ago.

I walked past him and he said "Can I speak to you for just a minute". I replied "I'm ok thanks", to which he replied ... " ... and that's the problem! You're ok! What about those in Africa... I'm sure they're not ok!"
    I turned to him and said ... "So .. what are you on these days? 8 euro an hour, 10 even?.... I'm sure you could do with donating some of that!"

Didn't get a reply.

Their tactics are downright rude and they should come under the aggressive begging act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

G.muny wrote: »
    Yeah, been out with my friend from Africa and they always stop her. She is shy and hasn't mastered the whole telling them to ****k off thing as a result I think she is giving more than she can afford to two charities.

I was collecting for charity on the street last year from time to time. It was for free. No way would I charge a charity for my work. And while I shook the tin in a discreet position, there was no way I would be stepping in peoples way and giving them all the shyte they get from chuggers. In fact I could recognise that people had their own business to take care of so purposely acted to step out of their way as I felt that was only good manners and giving a good impression. And I found those of obviously African heritage who passed me by were among the most generous. Even an African teenager stuck 20 euro into my tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

after reading many of the posts im quite upset about this, from what i know to be a charity in ireland you only have to donate 17% of donations to the people who benift directly from the charity the rest can be spent on 200k a year wages, advertising on tv billboard, lowly chuggers wages etc, in short IMO its a racket.... i was unfortunate enough to have a conversation with one of these guys a few years ago i explained that do donate but only to local charites & i felt there were too many charities operating here and that i give to local ones batterd wifes/homeless aid,... medicine san frontiers/goal and the rest etc can go t feck when people are freezing on the streets of dublin and women and kids are being beaten in their own home by alcoholic husbands.... it seamed to make him see sence and he left me alone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Had someone sap knock on the door of the gaff during the year, when i said no thanks, he turned to the mrs's car and said you can afford that why cant you afford to donate...

Wanted to kick 7 bells out of him.

Hate chuggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

bnt wrote: »
    I get the impression that there are all kinds of pseudo-scientific sales tricks coming and going inside the "chugger community". This year, for example, I've noticed that every one of them wants to shake my hand. I guess that a lot of people automatically accept a handshake whenever it's offered, and that it subconsciously signals that there's some kind of relationship there. All in the interest of getting more money out of you, of course.

Is it an Irish thing, this automatic acceptance of an outstretched hand? I'm not Irish, and when a stranger extends a hand at me, I'm immediately suspicious. I can't pretend a stranger is a long-awaited friend. Even worse is when someone touches you, which is also an attempt to manipulate your subconscious - though (to be fair) I've never had that from a chugger. A good thing too - for their sake. :mad:

Sneaky.....I almost missed it til I went back and re-read it. Love that song.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I find that sticking your tounge out one side of your mouth, humming and drawing a figure of 8 on their shoulder with your finger usually gets them to back off quicker than a hot snot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I find that headbutting a chugger winds you up in jail.

But with a sense that you did something for humanity :pac:

The young ones really grate me with their "hip" and "happening" attitude and that awful psuedo Irish-American twang to their voices.

Had one scrotum come up to me in Sligo where I just said "No!" to him and I carried on walking. 5 seconds later he came after me, pulled my headphones out of my ears and said "Why not!?!"

I had to bite my tongue hard, really hard from hitting the obnoxious little turd. I did make rather obscene threats at him though which would make Bernand Manning blush. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

cloud493 wrote: »
    who literally pulled my headphones cord, and
    If I didn't see them, I would most likely think they were trying to steal my headphones. I'd probably then show them how much I like the WWF... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sbEdge

I was walking down a street in Cork a few years ago and was approached by one of these chuggers. I told him that I didn't have a bank account. He asked me to show him my wallet so he could check if I had an ATM card in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Duggy747 wrote: »
    5 seconds later he came after me, pulled my headphones out of my ears and said "Why not!?!"

I had to bite my tongue hard, really hard from hitting the obnoxious little turd.:pac:

Advertisement