Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers Getting Fresh??

Options
  • 17-12-2011 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Anyone from Galway will know the representatives of a very well-known charity who used some interesting methods to get donations, like flattery, free hugs etc. I asked one guy if telling strangers they were pretty ever worked and he got very narky indeed.

Then as I was leaving the Eyre Sq SC yesterday another two lined up on either side of the street asked me for a donation. When I refused one made a barely audible remark which I think referred to my meanness.

Finally today at home I was asked again, when I refused the guy said I was beautiful :confused: Beautiful but cold and shallow I'm guessing?

The first two occasions I was very smartly dressed as I have to be for my job. This doesn't mean my clothes are new or particularly expensive, nor does it mean I'm a spoilt bitch who would rather save her cash for (blood) diamond-studded whips for punishing my servants and polar bear fur coats. In fact I find myself quite financially embarrassed at the moment, which makes the attitude even more galling.

Today I was just wearing (Penneys) jeans and a Dunnes coat, no make-up and hair in a greasy ponytail, so it makes even less sense.

Do chuggers honestly think that making comments at strangers will encourage donations? I know times are tough for charities but times are tough for everyone, people should be respected if they won't, or can't donate.

What say ye, Boardsies? Anyone else find this behaviour quite as reprehensible as I do? Any funny stories about chuggers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Was walking down O'Connell St. (in Dublin) yesterday evening with my Dad and a female chugger stepped out in front of him. She basically leered at him and the following conversation ensued:

Her: Wellll, good evening, Handsome! Have you a moment to spare for me?
    Dad: No.
    Her: Aww, you're breaking my heart! *pouty face*
    Dad: Get used to it, sweetheart.

I lol'd. Chuggers are a plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

OP just burst into a fit of severe coughing everytime they approach you. Helps if you can gob up a bit of sputum too. You'll soon find them backing away

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Jaxxy wrote: »
    Was walking down O'Connell St. (in Dublin) yesterday evening with my Dad and a female chugger stepped out in front of him. She basically leered at him and the following conversation ensued:

Her: Wellll, good evening, Handsome! Have you a moment to spare for me?
    Dad: No.
    Her: Aww, you're breaking my heart! *pouty face*
    Dad: Get used to it, sweetheart.

I lol'd. Chuggers are a plague.

Should have asked her for the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I think you should engage them in conversation as long as possible then eventually end with "Actuallly i hate the poor, bye now":)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

They are just as bad as the panhandling beggars who annoy you for change they dont need.

Nobody has the right to force anyone in donating or to manipulate their psyhce to do so as well.

I dont respond. I simply walk as if I never heard nor seen them. They are actually a disservice to the charity they are supporting by their behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Should have asked her for the ride.

If chuggers offered this service he might have been a bit more receptive. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

A simple f**k off usually works :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

They are a plague and should be banned. I refuse to donate to charities who hassle people this way. An abhorrent way to solicit donations. Like I'm going to give my bank details to a stranger on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Just do what Bertie did: tell them you don't have a bank account :D

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

I used to try and keep a bit of civility in my interaction with them ("it's a tough job", etc) but i've noticed over the last few months that they are becoming aggressive, rude and to be honest arseholes.

Instead of mumbling something negative which would but me in a bad humour I kind of laugh at them and say "No!" in a sort of you must be joking way.

Paying the wages of an overconfident knob who gets in your way in an already crowded street is absurd when you think about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

I saw some chuggers on Thursday and Friday in Dublin, wearing yellow jackets who seemed much more aggressive than any I've seen before. They were stepping in the way of people, shouting, chasing them and even grabbed one girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭irishgeo

mossyc123 wrote: »
    I used to try and keep a bit of civility in my interaction with them ("it's a tough job", etc) but i've noticed over the last few months that they are becoming aggressive, rude and to be honest arseholes.

Instead of mumbling something negative which would but me in a bad humour I kind of laugh at them and say "No!" in a sort of you must be joking way.

Paying the wages of an overconfident knob who gets in your way in an already crowded street is absurd when you think about it!

Start yelling " I need an adult"
    Cop: All right son, I'm going to need those two hams back.
    Chris Griffin: Huh? I don't have any hams!
    Cop: Lift up your shirt, son.
    Chris Griffin: I need an adult! I need an adult!
    Cop: [feels around under Chris' shirt] You're not a shoplifter you're just a fat kid! Huh! Sorry about that, fatty fat fatty. Hey Dom he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I usually say
    No thank you
    As if they were offering me something, and I kindly refused
    Throws them a little

Although one day a WWF guy asked me did I like animals
    I had to say
    Yes, but only on my plate
    and kept walking :)

I usually say
    No thank you
    Throws them a little

I had to say

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Curryking

Forgive me if I'm wrong but if I made personal or flirtatious comments to a complete stranger in the street I could very well be prosecuted for sexual harassment. Why are chuggers not being arrested left right and centre?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't really get everyone's preoccupation with them
    i shake my head and keep walking and they move on

the only comment i've had yelled after me was "have a nice day"

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I usually say
    No thank you
    Throws them a little

I had to say

You were right lucky he didn't body slam you. Them be big lads in the WWF.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Curryking wrote: »
    if I made personal or flirtatious comments to a complete stranger in the street I could very well be prosecuted for sexual harassment.
    Really?
    What sort of "flirtatious" comments are these chuggers making? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

An MP3 player is your friend in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

one of them said to me once, "See You Next Tuesday" , made a complaint to their office

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I had one of them in outside marks and spencers a few weeks ago, ipod in, who literally pulled my headphones cord, and started telling me about donating, and when I said I only had enough for the bus home, he said I should donate and walk home, cos its healthier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I have no time for them.
    I do be polite the first time - always - with a "No thank you".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

The joy of being Hispanic. 'No hablo inglés' is all they get from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

I'm always armed with a spud gun when I think I might meet them, its the only way to deal with people like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Curryking wrote: »
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but if I made personal or flirtatious comments to a complete stranger in the street I could very well be prosecuted for sexual harassment. Why are chuggers not being arrested left right and centre?

Hmmm, what country are you living in?

A chugger approached me when I was in town last week, the usual hoo ha, anyway, she had just jumped into her spiel when she looked at me and said
    "hold on, you probbably aren't old enough" and I thought to myself, ooooh, big mistake...so I said I was 17, and away I went, satisfied at the fact I had gotten out of it because I was too young for them to try and get me to sign up but then bitterly insulted that I was considered and believed to be under 18... I'm 20 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I hate the way they are set up in a zig zag formation along the street
    I hate the way they walk in front of you and try and link your arm.
    I don't hate those folk on the streets its the folk in the offices that are comissioning (with donations) to work the streets and doors for comission, what a horrid practice for anyone's dignity and mental health.

There were two of them at either side of the door at my local spar first time I stopped to talk to one of them and the guy turned around while talking to me and started persuing someone else :o I was offended, ended up in that shop about half an hour later with my bf and didn't stop to talk and he had the cheek to sneer God Bless You.

Horrible way to treat people, WWF, ISPCC, Trochaire, Barnados and whoever else shame on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Chuggers aren't real humans and have no souls.

I remember a few years back walking down grafton street this irritating chugger followed us for about five minutes practically begging us to listen to her fake sad story and donate money to her.
    Our response was just "no. no. no. no. no. no." the entire time with these blank expressions that read **** off.
    Eventually she said "Well maybe just do it for a bit of karma!" which was replied to with "karma can suck my dick". She left us alone after that.

One thing that really pisses me off about these 'people' is how positive and upbeat they act. I just want to crush them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

The old I'm 17 won't work anymore as I'm clinging onto 20, but hey I had more money when I was 17 :(

saa wrote: »
    The old I'm 17 won't work anymore as I'm clinging onto 20, but hey I had more money when I was 17 :(

if say your 17 (even though your not)they have to by law leave you alone.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

irishgeo wrote: »
    if say your 17 (even though your not)they have to by law leave you alone.

Damn! Won't work for me.
    I think the grey hairs give me away! :o

Advertisement