Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers Getting Fresh??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

They act like we have to give them something, like they're entitled to it. **** off you begging twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

One of my best friends was a chugger for a few months a while ago, and seriously, their working conditions are sh1t. They're expected to get at least 3 people to sign up everyday, and they have to stay out as late as they can to get this number (she had to stay out working to 10pm before after starting at 9am, with only an hour's break). If they don't reach the targer they're immediately sacked. They're not paid extra for overtime, just paid the same every day, which isn't much. She was spat on, groped, and verbally abused nearly every day in the job. One of her workmates was beat up so bad by someone when she was working that she ended up in hospital. Half the money that people give via signing up goes to the companies that the charities employ to advertise for them like that; it's ridiculous.

Seriously, chuggers annoy me as much as the next person, but they do have it quite tough. And also it's far better to actually directly donate to the charity instead of letting cnuts of companies take a large share of the money.

She didn't have to do anything.

She would survive without the "job" and it's not as if she was conscripted into it.

No chugger i've ever encountered looks gaunt, unwashed or starving.

On the contrary, they seem to be well spoken students/recent graduates who appear to come from well off backgrounds.

It's probably the case they "need" the money to pay for their next drinking session or their iphone bill rather then out of real economic necessity.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    But its better than the dole right?

No.

Being on the dole doesn't involve annoying hundreds of people on a daily basis and adding to the stress levels of people who are just going about their business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

mossyc123 wrote: »
    She didn't have to do anything.

She would survive without the "job" and it's not as if she was conscripted into it.

No chugger i've ever encountered looks gaunt, unwashed or starving.

On the contrary, they seem to be well spoken students/recent graduates who appear to come from well off backgrounds.

It's probably the case they "need" the money to pay for their next drinking session or their iphone bill rather then out of real economic necessity.
    I don't know why too many people would take a job like that over the dole if as you say "they mostly come from well off backgrounds". Surely then mummy and daddy would only be more than happy to fork out for the iPhone bill?

And it depends on what you mean by survive. Dole for people between 21 and 25 is €144 a week. It's hard to pay rent, bills, food, loan etc on that.

She did give up the job in the end because it was much more trouble than it was worth and it was making her sick, but I just wanted to point that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

hucklebuck wrote: »
    I would rather my daughter on the dole rather than being groped earning €7 an hour. There are other jobs out there too, you could be a cleaner and not get groped for the same money

I did it during the summer whilst at college. I was on 13e an hour so decent money -i probably won't ever chug again as it was soul destroying but i still rather do it than collect dole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

No.

Being on the dole doesn't involve annoying hundreds of people on a daily basis and adding to the stress levels of people who are just going about their business.
    Correct, on the dole I don't:
    Rudely step in front of people on the street to force them to talk to me.
    Knock on their door begging for money.
    Make them feel bad with stories of disabled children when they know I myself couldn't care less.
    Pry into their budget and demand how much disposable income they expend a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

No.

I'd say it annoys hundreds of thousands actually.

Still wouldn't chug though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

At this stage it has become like Spam mail. As in why the fcuk do they bother. Surely no one falls for this ****.

later10 wrote: »
    I'd say it annoys hundreds of thousands actually.

Still wouldn't chug though.
    Only the hundreds of thousands of snobs in employment who would get a very severe test of their so called conviction if they lost their job in the morning and had no choice but to claim welfare.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Correct, on the dole I don't:
    Rudely step in front of people on the street to force them to talk to me.
    Knock on their door begging for money.
    Make them feel bad with stories of disabled children when they know I myself couldn't care less.
    Pry into their budget and demand how much disposable income they expend a week.

So you rather beg from the comfort of your own post office?

• Advertisement

I don't know why too many people would take a job like that over the dole if as you say "they mostly come from well off backgrounds". Surely then mummy and daddy would only be more than happy to fork out for the iPhone bill?

And it depends on what you mean by survive. Dole for people between 21 and 25 is €144 a week. It's hard to pay rent, bills, food, loan etc on that.

She did give up the job in the end because it was much more trouble than it was worth and it was making her sick, but I just wanted to point that out.

Well in fairness, students can't get the dole but there are still grants available if they are really at risk of poverty, no?

If there are literally no other jobs available then how come tens of thousands of foreign nationals can come here and find work in low-skilled studenty type jobs in deli's, cafe's, shop's, bar's, etc?

I did the chugger equivalent myself in college back many years ago (albeit asking people for their time rather then their money with a telemarketing research company... shudder!) but I would have to be seriously desperate to take on the role of annoying people in a morally dubious job again.

Yep I have no problem begging back the thousands of pounds/euro I paid in tax the past 13 years. Don't sound so smart now do ya?

I did it during the summer whilst at college. I was on 13e an hour so decent money -i probably won't ever chug again as it was soul destroying but i still rather do it than collect dole.

Why?

Your not producing anything of value and are adding to the general stress levels in society.

It can be enough of a pain in the arse getting around the narrow, sodden streets of Dublin (and others) without being harassed by chuggers.

This idea that "anything is better then the dole" simply isn't true.

The Dole is begging now?

How much Dole money leaves the country versus the stuff you raised so resource rich African nations can continue to not look after their own people?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

One of the more unfortunate aspects (from a personal level) of this whole chugging business, is that it has left a deep-seated skepticism of hot members of the opposite sex who (on the v. rare occasion) happen to approach and chat to me:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

due to this agressive form of charity - I will now only give money directly to people in need - every shop i go into there seams to be someone outside agressivly asking for money - people should donate to charity cause they want to , not be intimadated by a paid 3rd party shouting at passers by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The line "I already give to charity" is the one I use. Never had a problem with a street chugger or door to door chugger with that line

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I get the impression that there are all kinds of pseudo-scientific sales tricks coming and going inside the "chugger community". This year, for example, I've noticed that every one of them wants to shake my hand. I guess that a lot of people automatically accept a handshake whenever it's offered, and that it subconsciously signals that there's some kind of relationship there. All in the interest of getting more money out of you, of course.

Is it an Irish thing, this automatic acceptance of an outstretched hand? I'm not Irish, and when a stranger extends a hand at me, I'm immediately suspicious. I can't pretend a stranger is a long-awaited friend. Even worse is when someone touches you, which is also an attempt to manipulate your subconscious - though (to be fair) I've never had that from a chugger. A good thing too - for their sake. :mad:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    One of the more unfortunate aspects (from a personal level) of this whole chugging business, is that it has left a deep-seated skepticism of hot members of the opposite sex who (on the v. rare occasion) happen to approach and chat to me:(

Ah yes, Hanly's Angels.

thebaz wrote: »
    due to this agressive form of charity - I will now only give money directly to people in need - every shop i go into there seams to be someone outside agressivly asking for money - people should donate to charity cause they want to , not be intimadated by a paid 3rd party shouting at passers by

You'd start to wonder (hope?) that the bad rep charities are getting from chugging (in traditional media and places like boards) will put an end to it.

But as it's probably a big earner for them I doubt it.

Much like the Roma beggars, if no one gave a penny they'd be finished in a week.

• Advertisement

Why?

Your not producing anything of value and are adding to the general stress levels in society.

It can be enough of a pain in the arse getting around the narrow, sodden streets of Dublin (and others) without being harassed by chuggers.

This idea that "anything is better then the dole" simply isn't true.

Well to be honest i took a year out to travel so i had a few grand debt as well as having to pay college fees and survive. I did just under 6 months and made around 10k, if i got dole it would be around 2.5k so it was much better than the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

At this stage it has become like Spam mail. As in why the fcuk do they bother. Surely no one falls for this ****.

exactly this , there is so much of it going on its ridiculous, i've had 4 people call to my door recently for some worthless cause or the other and my green bin is full of junk mail crap :mad:

Well to be honest i took a year out to travel so i had a few grand debt as well as having to pay college fees and survive. I did just under 6 months and made around 10k, if i got dole it would be around 2.5k so it was much better than the dole.

Ah, better for you as in your "bottom line".

Right.

Was thinking you meant better for your well-being, sense of self, etc rather then cold, hard cash ;)

Also, forgot about the 100 a week for under 24's(?) change to the dole system.

Edit: How many starving African children would 10k save?! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I was walking down Oliver Plunkett street in Cork last Christmas when a chugger approached me and my friend. He immediately said no, we kept walking and she called him a miserable bastard. My buddy just left it go. He has a PhD in development studies and has been working with AIDS sufferers in sub-Saharan Africa on and off for the past 5 years. I'm sure he's done more to help than she ever did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Was passing them today and they recognized me as I donated before and they said thanks which I thought was nice of them. Had to pass them again and I heard somebody tell them to **** off. I understand they annoy you but there's polite ways to act to fellow human beings.

Was passing them today and they recognized me as I donated before and they said thanks which I thought was nice of them. Had to pass them again and I heard somebody tell them to **** off. I understand they annoy you but there's polite ways to act to fellow human beings.

I dunno about that.

If absolutely everyone they came into contact with gave them a good, cold stare into the eyes and a firm "**** Off!" the streets would be empty of them in about 24 hours :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

Most people only stay in the job for a couple of weeks - if ye're talking about the type where they want your bank details. It's largely commission based and they have to hit targets that just aren't achievable for most people.

Like I said I told one to mind his own business when he got personal about my finances but one day I actually shouted at one. I had already told one of them to 'please don't stand in front of me'. I was walking through the market place and was feeling a bit bad about being so abrupt. I was thinking if it might be worth going back apologising and saying I'm not interested when immediately one of his colleagues jumped out from hiding in a doorway and scared the crap out of me. I shouted 'I SAID NO!!!'

Yes there are polite ways to talk to people but when you provoke using some of the underhanded tricks these people use they can't be surprised when they get negative responses. **** off is never warranted however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

I've also been hassled by them in the past. They really piss me off. I wonder how much of their own wages they donate to charity themselves. It's not as though they're doing this work for free:rolleyes:
    I'm all for raising awareness and funds for causes, but badgering people to the point where it becomes abusive is counter productive for these charities at the end of the day.
    Assholes!

• Advertisement

Ah, better for you as in your "bottom line".

Right.

Was thinking you meant better for your well-being, sense of self, etc rather then cold, hard cash ;)

Also, forgot about the 100 a week for under 24's(?) change to the dole system.

Edit: How many starving African children would 10k save?! ;)

Well they give you a projected figure at i made 7 times the number i earned for those little starving babies.

Fully above board charities are but if you're too mean to donate then just say so.

Advertisement