Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers Getting Fresh??

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

MyKeyG wrote: »
    **** off is never warranted however.

I disagree.

Sometimes, I used to pleasantly walk by them while giving the outstretched middle finger straight in their faces.. While wearing my office clothes in the middle of the day. Fuk them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Try asking them if you can borrow a euro for your bus fare home. They dont like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Sometimes, I used to pleasantly walk by them while giving the outstretched middle finger straight in their faces.. While wearing my office clothes in the middle of the day. Fuk them.

Lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

Would I be right in saying you're one of those people that takes things just a little bit too far? No need to be a complete pr!ck about it

• Advertisement

Don't mind much about being a prick about it.. It was only the odd time when I didn't even want to hear them start trying. I see them as scum, they see me as walking commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Don't mind much about being a prick about it.. It was only the odd time when I didn't even want to hear them start trying. I see them as scum, they see me as walking commission.

Nope, They see you you as a crazy person who's parents didn't teach him any manners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭AstridBean

Two chugger incidents stick out in my mind.

1) I was on Henry Street the Sunday before Christmas at the height of the boom (2005/2006ish). As you can imagine, the street was completely thronged. I saw a chugger CHASING after a woman who was pushing a baby buggy. I think chuggers chasing anyone is not on, but chasing someone who, for whatever reason, is impeded in how quickly they can escape, is truly awful. Even on a sparsely populated street, a woman pushing a buggy wouldn't exactly be able to leg it, but on a busy street? Fawgedditaboutit! I thought it was really, really poor form. And it's likely that women was pretty stressed as it was, because shopping that close to Christmas tends to be.

2) I was walking down Dawson Street on a miserable wet November day around the same time as the above incident. A chugger blocked my path and to avoid him, I had to actually step off the street onto the road because the path inside him to the buildings was blocked for some reason. Where I had to step out to avoid him, there was a huge flash that I stepped into, and also at that very moment, a car sped buy spraying me with water from said flash. Wet feet and wet clothes for the rest of the day. :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

One of my best friends was a chugger for a few months a while ago

I hope you are using the past tense because you ended her miserable worthless existance :)

One of her workmates was beat up so bad by someone when she was working that she ended up in hospital.

It's refreshing to hear some good news on a Chugger thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Don't understand what the big swing is on here with people.

Just say 'No thank you' and move on.

If they persist, the I & P method comes into play...Ignore and Proceed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

mossyc123 wrote: »
    You'd start to wonder (hope?) that the bad rep charities are getting from chugging (in traditional media and places like boards) will put an end to it.

But as it's probably a big earner for them I doubt it.

Much like the Roma beggars, if no one gave a penny they'd be finished in a week.

I was walking through Naas one day at about 5 or 6 and saw a Roma beggar. Usually I give money to beggars I pass in the street so I had no Problem giving her a few euro.

The next day I was in Newbridge walking by the post office at about 12 in the day and who do I see?

The same woman begging.

She would have had to walk 11km in the rain.

Not ****ing likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Couple of years back walking past the GPO with my son and one stood right in front of me and stated trying to guilt me into giving money by saying look at your child now, how would you feel if it was him starving and all that crap. Needless to say my reply wasn't very nice. What a complete eejit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

The joy of being Hispanic. 'No hablo inglés' is all they get from me.

I actually just use the english version of that. Works very well I find-

"Sorry, I don't speak english", (spoken in a Dublin accent)- confuses the hell out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Well they give you a projected figure at i made 7 times the number i earned for those little starving babies.

Fully above board charities are but if you're too mean to donate then just say so.

So people are mean if they don't give chuggers money/their bank account details? :confused: I give money to a charity of my choice every fortnight from my salary. I will never, ever give money to a charity that uses chuggers, I make a point of it. I'm not in Ireland and there's chuggers everywhere here too. They're not too agressive though.... yet.

So many people complain about them but obviously people give them money/details or they wouldn't still be out there. It obviously works - even if people like me boycott that charity because of it. They must make enough money to make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I always just say "No, thank you" or "Not interested". Nine times out of ten that is the end of it. If they persist, I just tell them to fcuk off and stop bothering me, and I do so in a slightly louder voice, whereupon my usually friendly, but very protective dog snarls at them, barks, bares his teeth and tries to lunge at them.:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

AstridBean wrote: »
    Where I had to step out to avoid him, there was a huge flash that I stepped into, and also at that very moment, a car sped buy spraying me with water from said flash. Wet feet and wet clothes for the rest of the day. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Do you mean "puddle" when you say "flash"?
    What do you call the thing on a camera that makes rapid, bright light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Anyone ever see chugger approach a black african or a homeless person and say want to help your own kind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Anyone ever see chugger approach a black african or a homeless person and say want to help your own kind?

Controversial !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I believe the chuggers were thinking of putting a badge system in place, so as to know who not to annoy.

Here is the system working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

cloud493 wrote: »
    I had one of them in outside marks and spencers a few weeks ago, ipod in, who literally pulled my headphones cord, and started telling me about donating, and when I said I only had enough for the bus home, he said I should donate and walk home, cos its healthier.

This pisses me off so much... For all he knew you could live twenty miles away. If you're struggling for money you should not be made feel guilty because someone you've never met thousands of miles away has even less.
    nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Please name the charity.

This intimidation and bullying needs to be highlighted properly.

I now ask them for money. It really throws them.

Barnados was the "free hugs" brigade.
    The other two were those disabled/homeless charities that sell scratchcards. Not technically chuggers but for all intents and purposes of this discussion....

Off-topic, I know Barnados is a good cause, but their ads are painful, the TV one about the little girl who has no quilt is just ridiculous, especially as the mother is apparently working... I know "working poor" exist but if she can't spare an hour's wages on a blanket from Dunnes she must spending all her cash on crack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

I don't get it, they walk over towards me, with their clip boards, I say no before they even say anything and keep walking. That's it. They persist, I simply ignore them, but always keep walking. Stop and they have an 'in'.

The one's that call to my house, including the ones selling esb/eircom/alarms/gas/television/sex toys. I immediately say no and close the door.

No fuss, no foul, not interested

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Nope, They see you you as a crazy person who's parents didn't teach him any manners!

She did teach me to not annoy people in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

A good few years back I was about 15 when I was in town with a couple of friends, a girl approached from some charity and asked us to donate money, me being a show of in front of the lads said ill donate money for kiss on the cheek?? The girl said ok so when she went to kiss me on the cheek I turned me head and got a nice smooch on the lips then i just walked off :D the girl was a ride too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

You'd start to wonder (hope?) that the bad rep charities are getting from chugging (in traditional media and places like boards) will put an end to it.

Much like the Roma beggars, if no one gave a penny they'd be finished in a week.

Well put. Some people must be falling for it or they wouldnt be there.
    Myself, ive decided that of the money I do, and will in future give to charity, none will go to any charity i have ever seen chugging on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Usually a foreign accent and 'sorry, here on vacation' usually works.

When I used to work for an aid charity a few years ago there was nothing sweeter than whipping out my work id card with a disapproving look when they'd lecture me on the starving babies/how I wouldn't notice the few quid every month/how I and I alone was to blame for world poverty etc. Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Hobbes wrote: »
    I believe the chuggers were thinking of putting a badge system in place, so as to know who not to annoy.

Here is the system working.

There should be an ''opt in'' system whereby self righteous cnuts can get all the attention they want and Grandpa Simpson types can tell their long pointless stories while the rest of us should be automatically assumed to be private citizens who do not wish to be bothered. I hate chuggers. I find many of them disrespectful and rude. And I really hate how they are not upfront about not working for free. When they first appeared on the streets I tolerated them because I assumed that if someone is collecting for a charity they are volunteering their time and are not mercenaries.
    They should be legally required to disclose in advance to their targets how much commission they are getting and how much of the donation actually goes towards good causes. If I buy insurance etc I will get a statement of fees and charges. Why do chuggers get away with it ? If an insurance policy is missold by a bank there are procedures which can be followed. What protections do vulnerable people have from chuggers who sell them a ''product'' they cannot afford ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭AstridBean

kazul wrote: »
    Do you mean "puddle" when you say "flash"?
    What do you call the thing on a camera that makes rapid, bright light?

A flash. What do you call it?

'Flash' for 'puddle' is a colloquialism.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭G.muny

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Yeah, been out with my friend from Africa and they always stop her. She is shy and hasn't mastered the whole telling them to ****k off thing as a result I think she is giving more than she can afford to two charities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement