Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers Getting Fresh??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

I've never had any trouble with chuggers tbh. Now,in fairness, this is probably because I look poor and smell of wee.:pac:

I must say,this is a terribly depressing thread. I used to do a bit of chugging when I was in college, but it was all students doing it voluntarily.
    There was no onus on us to reach any targets and there was no personal incentive to try to raise as much as we could (except in the interests of the charity).

You just agreed to give up a few hours of your time, and then stood there on Grafton Street shaking your bucket, and if someone wanted to donate, they would come over to you and throw some money in, and you would give them a sticker to put on their lapel, (or else a rake of stickers to their kids, to cover themselves with.)

Why does this not happen anymore? I'm rarely in town, but it all seems to be people looking for Direct Debits these days. Surely, if the sentiments expressed in this thread are anything to go by, there must be a market for
    some charity to engage in non-aggressive once-off cash donations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Because people have figured how to make money by paying employee's little wages and keeping the profits for themselves? And so to get more money, employee's practically chase people down the street?

I'm sure a lot of it could be harassment. But if it happens enough times, I think its perfectly ok to tell them to **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

A chugger more or less clotheslined me on Grafton street once. I stopped and asked him what the fu€king hell he thought he was doing. He slapped me in the face lightly and told me that I needed to wake up to the real issues in the world. He very nearly had a real issue to deal with there and then, namely my fist landing repeatedly on his jaw, his head hitting the pavement and then my erect penis going in and out of his anus rapidly without consent, the dirty little beast.

Yep, a jolly good rogering was just the best way to deal with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

just keep walking at full pace.
    if they want to block your path and risk getting knocked over, that's their perogative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

I must say,this is a terribly depressing thread. I used to do a bit of chugging when I was in college, but it was all students doing it voluntarily.
    There was no onus on us to reach any targets and there was no personal incentive to try to raise as much as we could (except in the interests of the charity).

You just agreed to give up a few hours of your time, and then stood there on Grafton Street shaking your bucket, and if someone wanted to donate, they would come over to you and throw some money in, and you would give them a sticker to put on their lapel, (or else a rake of stickers to their kids, to cover themselves with.)

Thats' not exactly chugging. Chuggers purposely block extremely busy roads on all sides , making it even worse for pedestrians on traffic jammed streets whereas you stood at some respectful position visible but not vulgar or offensive . Chuggers don't work for free and in fact takes a bigger share of donated money than the starving child in Africa does. Chuggers don't carry change buckets but instead try to scam bank details off people. A chugger with a change bucket would disappear into the Supermac jacks and return with a considerably lighter bucket. Why ? Because they are mercenary scumbags who never donate their time to charities for free and who will extract money from the vulnerable through any means necessary to fund their own selfish lifestyles and are not to be trusted. The complete opposite of your good work above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

The only street charities i donate to are the ones who are just sitting there, clearly working voluntary with their bucket, not pressuring anyone and then giving you like a daffodil or something. Irish cancer society etc.

Was knocking around UCD yesterday visiting the girlfriend and there were these annoying young ones outside the library trying to force me into giving them money for cancer research or something like that. They targeted me cuz i was smoking a fag, and started making cheeky references to it when i told them to leave me alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

As I've said before - abusing a chugger is just like going into a bank and calling the tellers scum -

Chuggers are just kind folk trying to do their best to end 3rd world problems like hunger and doing it all for a modest wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

Oranage2 wrote: »
    As I've said before - abusing a chugger is just like going into a bank and calling the tellers scum -

Chuggers are just kind folk trying to do their best to end 3rd world problems like hunger and doing it all for a modest wage.

My brother is a chugger with an expense account for taxis and was just given a playstation 3 as a prize for reaching targets. He's currently chugging for barnardos.

Seriously thinking of cancelling my direct debit and finding a more useful way to help those in need.

K

When's the last time a group of bank tellers blocked your path down a busy street, tore your headphones off and then poked you on the chest? Chuggers are scum, no two ways about it. If the charity was so dear to them they should be doing it voluntarily, instead they receive a substantial hourly rate and when they reach targets are rewarded with expensive gifts. I'm not a violent person but the next time a chugger lays his hands on me I'll be leaving the cnut on the pavement. Grabbing at someone's headphones is a sure fire way to get a fist to the face and telling me tgat I should be Ashamed of myself for spending 70 euros on them while people starve is the way to ensure I push you into oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Wouldn't the whole thing be so much easier if they just devised a way for them to accept money on the street?

That's called pick pocketing and don't be giving them ideas.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

K

When's the last time a group of bank tellers blocked your path down a busy street, tore your headphones off and then poked you on the chest? Chuggers are scum, no two ways about it. If the charity was so dear to them they should be doing it voluntarily, instead they receive a substantial hourly rate and when they reach targets are rewarded with expensive gifts. I'm not a violent person but the next time a chugger lays his hands on me I'll be leaving the cnut on the pavement. Grabbing at someone's headphones is a sure fire way to get a fist to the face and telling me tgat I should be Ashamed of myself for spending 70 euros on them while people starve is the way to ensure I push you into oncoming traffic.

I think you're think of Anto and Deco the local heroin addicts.

Chuggers dont get involved in this behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Ha ha ha, good one :pac:

I think you're think of Anto and Deco the local heroin addicts.

Chuggers dont get involved in this behavior.

Guess I got confused when people wearing Concern jackets blocked my path a few weeks back and when I told them I wasn't interested pushed through them only for one to grab at the lead for my head phones tearing them off in the process. I guess that I also imagined the part when I turned to confront them and one poked me in the chest. Perhaps I also imagined the part where I pushed him back and them he and his associate threatened me.

Chuggers are mercenaries who will sink to any level in order to ensure their 12-13 euro an hour wage. If every chugger in the world dropped dead at once like in the Happening the streets of the world would be a hell of a lot easier to walk

Guess I got confused when people wearing Concern jackets blocked my path a few weeks back and when I told them I wasn't interested pushed through them only for one to grab at the lead for my head phones tearing them off in the process. I guess that I also imagined the part when I turned to confront them and one poked me in the chest. Perhaps I also imagined the part where I pushed him back and them he and his associate threatened me.

Chuggers are mercenaries who will sink to any level in order to ensure their 12-13 euro an hour wage. If every chugger in the world dropped dead at once like in the Happening the streets of the world would be a hell of a lot easier to walk

Now I'm not calling you a liar but this sounds quite unbelievable - Sounds to me like you walked straight through him assaulting him and when he went to defend himself he accidently knocked your headphones out whilst you were in a fit of rage.

I find it hard to believe such noble people giving their time up for a charity would engage in such behavior.

If you went to a team leader or even rang up concern now telling them what happened ie. street and discription of that person, they'd probably would be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

dubscottie wrote: »
    Maybe someone could confirm what I am thinking..

I walk into and out of Dublin City Centre and on the way I can be approached by Concern chuggers in Rathmines, Camden St, Georges St and then anywhere between there and Henry St.

Its the same on the return. So in effect I can get approached by them 10+ times in a day and each time I say NO!

Now.. If a company was to cold call you on the phone or to your door 10 times a day it could be classed as harassment.
    If you have to tell someone more than 3 times that you are not interested it becomes pressure selling.

So to whom would I report these chuggers? Could I report them to the Garda?
    Because the way I look at it I am being harassed and pressure sold something from a company 10+ times a day every day nearly. And its not just Concern.
    The problem there is that it's easier to report a company who fail to stop calling to an address or a phone number but short of them carrying your picture around there's no way you could prove you were approached by somebody who knew you shouldn't have been.

Unfortunately there's no law that prohibits an individual attempting to engage another in conversation in a public place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Unfortunately there's no law that prohibits an individual attempting to engage another in conversation in a public place.

Yeah, because that's a law we should definitely have.

Now I'm not calling you a liar but this sounds quite unbelievable - Sounds to me like you walked straight through him assaulting him and when he went to defend himself he accidently knocked your headphones out whilst you were in a fit of rage.

I find it hard to believe such noble people giving their time up for a charity would engage in such behavior.

If you went to a team leader or even rang up concern now telling them what happened ie. street and discription of that person, they'd probably would be fired.

Either your trolling or just attempting to stir the pot.
    Numerous people on boards have had negative experiences with chuggers.b From intimidation, 5 male chuggers stopping a girl in an alley off of temple bar to them pulling headphones off of people's heads to blocking people's path and refusing to move.

Im Pretty certain that deliberately blocking someone's path and refusing to allow them to pass us as bad if not worse than me pushing my way through. And when someone grabs at a lead and pulls there is intent there. I actually spoke to a guard after the incident and he went with me to a cafe and asked for a copy if their CCTV from outside. I haven't bothered to press charges but the guard told me that what occurred was assault upon my person and any judge would rule against the chuggers.

Either your trolling or just attempting to stir the pot.
    Numerous people on boards have had negative experiences with chuggers.b From intimidation, 5 male chuggers stopping a girl in an alley off of temple bar to them pulling headphones off of people's heads to blocking people's path and refusing to move.

Im Pretty certain that deliberately blocking someone's path and refusing to allow them to pass us as bad if not worse than me pushing my way through. And when someone grabs at a lead and pulls there is intent there. I actually spoke to a guard after the incident and he went with me to a cafe and asked for a copy if their CCTV from outside. I haven't bothered to press charges but the guard told me that what occurred was assault upon my person and any judge would rule against the chuggers.

Neither, A long time ago i use to give up my time for the war on poverty and if did anything like this I'd have been fired in a heart beat - how long ago did it happen, ring concern with the day the street and a description you'll mostly likely get an apology and the guy sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

sbEdge wrote: »
    I was walking down a street in Cork a few years ago and was approached by one of these chuggers. I told him that I didn't have a bank account. He asked me to show him my wallet so he could check if I had an ATM card in it.

Ah now, that was obviously the wallet inspector. Don't be confusing his vital job with scumbag chuggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I usually say
    No thank you
    As if they were offering me something, and I kindly refused
    Throws them a little

Although one day a WWF guy asked me did I like animals
    I had to say
    Yes, but only on my plate
    and kept walking :)

Could you smell what he was cooking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Flaker

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I find that headbutting a chugger winds you up in jail.

But with a sense that you did something for humanity :pac:

The young ones really grate me with their "hip" and "happening" attitude and that awful psuedo Irish-American twang to their voices.

Had one scrotum come up to me in Sligo where I just said "No!" to him and I carried on walking. 5 seconds later he came after me, pulled my headphones out of my ears and said "Why not!?!"

I had to bite my tongue hard, really hard from hitting the obnoxious little turd. I did make rather obscene threats at him though which would make Bernand Manning blush. :pac:

Would pulling your headphones out not be assault or something? They shouldn't be able to touch you or your belongings, and if they do, you should be able to "touch" them back (in other words,give them a dig).

You'd swear they are canvassing on the street for the good of the charities and not themselves. How dare they they try and make anyone feel guilty for not donating? Donating is voluntary and compulsory. They should automatically have money deducted from their own wages - bet they wouldn't like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Flaker

"I find it hard to believe such noble people giving their time up for a charity would engage in such behavior."

Orange2, you are a troll right? Noble for what reason? You're getting paid! If that's the case then I am a "noble" office worker. I do a lot of stuff for a voluntary organisation (for free I might add) and I would never have the cheek to refer to myself as noble. You are ridiculous...........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

maybe he's just confused...

you see Orange2, these "noble people" you idolize are volunteers who go out with buckets hoping to get some spare change. they'll make themselves seen but usually not interfere with people (unless they're trying to collect from traffic or deliberately blocking your path, but that's a different topic) and very few would have a problem with them unless they engage in underhand behavior, which some do. think bag-packers at dunnes.

the chuggers that Darko mentioned in his post were most likley doing it for the money, paid by comission/depending on how much they collect, therefore they will use any and all means to sign you up to whatever it is on their clip-board as they are singing for their supper.

these people are not above persistently following a person down the street, standing beside and staring at stationary people looking for attention, intimidating people, guilting people and last but not least, luring susceptible men in with the (.)(.)

I hope this has been educational.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I did something I've always promised I would today.

I approached by a "shakey your handy" chugger on Grafton Street asking for my time....

I said no thanks to which she gave me more of her pitch.

So I asked for her mobile number and said I'd call her for more information later this evening when i finished work.

Cue uncomfortable smile.

Best feeling I've had all week....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

what annoys me is some people dont have bank accounts and they dont believe them when thay say it:confused:

I have one account- wages go in and morgage comes out- THATS IT! And i am not giving that to ANYONE! But Chuggers( that have called to my house) seem to think i should give them my morgage account. Why so they can take out the wrong amount one month and i get a missed morgage payment because of it-**** off. Had that **** already with sky:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Flaker wrote: »
    Would pulling your headphones out not be assault or something? They shouldn't be able to touch you or your belongings, and if they do, you should be able to "touch" them back (in other words,give them a dig).
    !

Possibly could be seen as attempted theft (like a pick-pocket), the victim wouldn't be too out of order in lashing out with a fist straight on the noggin .....in self-defense style of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

giftgrub wrote: »

I approached by a "shakey your handy" chugger on Grafton Street asking for my time....

Best approach with those idiots is to have a discreet fap in the supermac jacks before shaking her hand but don't worry about tissues ;) By the time she realises its not snot you'll be long gone :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

A Lancashire council has banned chuggers fom its main shopping street because they scare away shoppers
    Daily Mail linkithingimajiky

It is sorely needed in this part of the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Btw I caught Fergus Finlay of Barnardos on the wireless earlier talking about chuggers. He said his charity employs a chugging agency and that he receives an average of (only) two complaints a month from the public about aggressive chugger behaviour. He said each complaint is investigated.
    So, ensure you contact the charity who these people are raising funds for to air your grievances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I keep reading all these complaints about chuggers but I've never once had any problems from them :confused:

Advertisement