Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭Inviere

Look abit like Captain Lorca

I had the same thought, there’s a slight resemblance

Evade wrote: »
    Is that something they were thinking about doing in the pilot or is it from Violations?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just noticed the thing on his temple it's from Violations.
    https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/9/93/Crusher_and_Picard_2354.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120418215955&path-prefix=en
    438642.jpg

The picture in question is in the Background section

Although they did have Stewart audition in a toupee

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Can't believe no one has posted anything on this,

https://trekmovie.com/2018/01/12/report-viacom-and-cbs-considering-re-merging-deal-would-bring-star-trek-under-single-company/

I think it would be good when it happens.

Hopefully it does happen.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »

https://trekmovie.com/2018/01/12/report-viacom-and-cbs-considering-re-merging-deal-would-bring-star-trek-under-single-company/

I hope then its the film series that ends, & the Discovery continues!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm naturally suspicious of any of these kind of corporate mergers, but purely from a Trek perspective it's insane the franchise was ever split in the first place. Especially when you look around at all these shared TV/Movie universes and the Trek overlords stands out as a clutch of idiots to be blunt.

You'd like to think this might green-light so more interesting developments in the franchise, if the merge goes ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Apparently the paperwork involed to use a film prop piece of tv show set piece is insane

Ms

Inviere wrote: »
    I hope then its the film series that ends, & the Discovery continues!

Why can't we have both? Discovery ain't that good really sure the quality,production all that is top notch but the ship is ugly and the Klingons well sorry they are not Klingons. All that has really happened so far is they have been fighting some odd race and now are in a mirror universe bot a whole lot really. We deserve better we deserve a proper Star Trek series back on TV where Star Trek should be.

The films are going to be rebooted again with Quinten T as the director by the looks of it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Why can't we have both? Discovery ain't that good really sure the quality,production all that is top notch but the ship is ugly and the Klingons well sorry they are not Klingons. All that has really happened so far is they have been fighting some odd race and now are in a mirror universe bot a whole lot really. We deserve better we deserve a proper Star Trek series back on TV where Star Trek should be.

The films are going to be rebooted again with Quinten T as the director by the looks of it.

What are Klingons? TOS or TNG versions?

And what's "proper" Trek. Every series is different in tone and structure from the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Evade

TMP Klingons.

Ms

And what's "proper" Trek. Every series is different in tone and structure from the rest

For me its the TNG ones. They are proper Klingons. The ones in the TOS films are good to do and at least you can see the evolution of them its nothing drastic.

What is Star Trek. Star Trek is about stories with real meanings and based on real events and issues of the day. Star Trek is about a better future for humankind. A future where we all work together for the betterment of the human race. It's about having something we can look forward to build too and care about. Star Trek is about bringing people together. Star Trek is lots of things to lots of people.

Yes every series is different in tone and structure but if I was to pick on episode of Star Trek to describe it I would pick the TNG episode '' The Measure of a man'' That there is proper Star Trek.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Star Trek 6 Klingons are the real Klingons. You can tell by the pink blood.

Everything else is just make-believe.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Star Trek 6 Klingons are the real Klingons. You can tell by the pink blood.

Everything else is just make-believe.

No, TOS are the only real Klingons. Anything else was a change for change sake and looks stupud

Impressive... Every word in that sentence was wrong (imo of course!) I find the films, barring the first one, to be good. I even enjoyed the second one! However, I don't think Star Trek on the big screen, can sustain Star Trek, as a franchise. I find ST on the big screen, to be best served as a stop gap between the gaps on the TV. So in that sense, for Star Trek to survive, it needs to be a tv show...the films alone can't do it.

As for "all that's really happened so far...", why not compare Discovery against one of the titans of Trek, The Next Generation; by episode eleven of season 1, we were watching a Lwaxanna Troi episode...I mean c'mon, pound for pound Discovery is BY FAR, the best Season 1 Star Trek there is to date. By far. Give it some time, more time, I really feel it has the potential to be at the top of the Trek charts...and I was hugely against Discovery prior to it airing.

As for the Klingons, I too love the TNG Klingons, but they've been done to death; they're glorified pantomime villains at this stage. Discovery Klingons are very new to us, and while they're very different, they're way more believable as a warrior-race. I think what they've done with the language is pure brilliance too, it sounds very alien, very different, I love it.

As for the Klingons, I too love the TNG Klingons, but they've been done to death; they're glorified pantomime villains at this stage. Discovery Klingons are very new to us, and while they're very different, they're way more believable as a warrior-race. I think what they've done with the language is pure brilliance too, it sounds very alien, very different, I love it.
    But did any of that require such a radical change to their appearance? The klingon's warrior race credibility in STD is starting to fall into the same trap all the other warrior races do in Star Trek. In a fight they lose against Starfleet personnel even when they have numerical advantage.

Evade wrote: »
    But did any of that require such a radical change to their appearance?

Personally I like the new aesthetic. I suppose the TNG-era Klingons were in danger of looking quite out of date in the modern world of tv. Again though, it's not as if Trek hasn't changed their appearance before!
    The klingon's warrior race credibility in STD is starting to fall into the same trap all the other warrior races do in Star Trek. In a fight they lose against Starfleet personnel even when they have numerical advantage.

Ultimately, being a prequel, we know the end result of the war. In a sense, the writers need to be careful in terms of not writing the Klingons as being unbeatable. I guess that's more so out of writing necessity, than any flaw of the show.

Personally I like the new aesthetic. I suppose the TNG-era Klingons were in danger of looking quite out of date in the modern world of tv. Again though, it's not as if Trek hasn't changed their appearance before!
    The 80's hair metal band armour could have used a bit of an update but I think the spikes were the wrong way to go and I still prefer the TMP->ENT style ridges and hair. I do miss the utilitarian look to their technology too, everything they have now looks very... artistisc I suppose is the best way to put it.
    Ultimately, being a prequel, we know the end result of the war. In a sense, the writers need to be careful in terms of not writing the Klingons as being unbeatable. I guess that's more so out of writing necessity, than any flaw of the show.
    I know but I always smirk when a soldier from a bad ass warrior race gets knocked flat on his back by a botanist or stellar cartographer. DS9 was the worst offender in this regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Agreed......discovery Klingons are menacing and worthy villains but when you think that per the timeline theyll become an ally of federation and eventually have Picard as arbiter of succession for their chancellor, it tames them a lot in my eyes. That's the risk of setting as prequel, havinh to stick to timeline so we know what happens ultimately. Should have been set post voyager/nemesis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Catching up on enterprise as i never got into it.
    on season 2 now, towards the end. t'pol is some piece of work isn't she?
    it seems like nearly every episode involves:
    'hey captain this happened'
    t'pol: you probably imagined it, you're under stress
    'well no i have direct proof'
    that was the end of the one i just watched, and in the next one she's back to her old tricks 'no that reading is probably background radiation'
    Not very logical there t'pol. especially when her next sentence is 'well that's very dense concentration'. yeah. so not background radiation then no

bluewolf wrote: »
    Catching up on enterprise as i never got into it.
    on season 2 now, towards the end. t'pol is some piece of work isn't she?
    it seems like nearly every episode involves:
    'hey captain this happened'
    t'pol: you probably imagined it, you're under stress
    'well no i have direct proof'
    that was the end of the one i just watched, and in the next one she's back to her old tricks 'no that reading is probably background radiation'
    Not very logical there t'pol. especially when her next sentence is 'well that's very dense concentration'. yeah. so not background radiation then no

That was the Vulcan attitude to Humans though. Nothing the humans do can be a first, as the vulcans have been there and done that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Going through enterprise myself too, albeit slowly. There's only so much stupidity a mind can handle. I've got to season 3 and yes, it has improved, but only insofar as the show crept from 'godawful' to 'mediocre'. Season 1 though, yeesh! To be fair, I can totally understand what they were aiming for: naive, eager humans making their first tentative, enthusiastic steps into the galaxy, but the execution was so frequently mishandled, making the human crew looking like utter morons - while the vulcans fare little better as the ultimate stern & disapproving parent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

First episode of season 3 has some non humanoid aliens - i like it

Tpol got a makeover!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

pixelburp wrote: »
    Season 1 though, yeesh!

I've just watched the Ferengi episode. :rolleyes:

Making much slower progress of this than I did of TNG, DS9 & VOY, all of which I watched last year.

bluewolf wrote: »
    First episode of season 3 has some non humanoid aliens - i like it

Tpol got a makeover!

Similtude, Twlight, E2 are cracking episodes in an overall solid season 3

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭starvin

I think Enterprise season 4 is a great way to tell Star Trek stories. Larger scale stories told over two or three episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Just started DS9 again, from the start of season 2, on Netflix. I had forgotten how good it is, particularly the subtle humour. e.g. O'Brien being grumpy and irritated by Bashir's up-beat attitude, Quark up to mischief, and this is apart from all the Jem Hadar & Dominion stuff that I haven't even gotten to yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭starvin

Just started DS9 again, from the start of season 2, on Netflix. I had forgotten how good it is, particularly the subtle humour. e.g. O'Brien being grumpy and irritated by Bashir's up-beat attitude, Quark up to mischief, and this is apart from all the Jem Hadar & Dominion stuff that I haven't even gotten to yet.

You missed the two best episodes in season 1. Duet and In The Hands Of The Prophets.

Worth a look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Is Kai Winn the best character we love to hate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Is Kai Winn the best character we love to hate?

She's the Donald Trump of the Vedic Assembly.

Ouch, think that insults Kai Winn ;) she knew how to play the game and (mostly) get what she wanted through politics, flattery and weaponised piousness. You hated her but she knew what she was doing. Trump is a blustering idiot way out of his depth, being shown up as a trust fund paper tiger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

She's the Donald Trump of the Vedic Assembly.

Ah no, she is a very clever lady of manipulation and power. She is more like Nixon.

Advertisement