Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

bluewolf wrote: »
    i don't know about jadzia's season 3 hairstyle now

Worse than this?

tumblr_inline_ngn02okDY31qfwod8.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm afraid so!

Man I'd forgotten about all this founder and jem hadar stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Evade

thesearch1_004.jpg

This is it. It's got a heavy 80's mullet vibe going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Keiko's hair has definitely improved.
    Fashion Of DS9

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What about those nifty suits of Quark though? Now those were some quality 90s future fashions right there ...

I was just admiring his suit in the klingon episode :D

Warning : main fusion reactor will overload in 6 mins

Sisko and O'brien : well there's definitely no point running to the controls we need to disable it. Let's stroll the corridors casually

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭Inviere

Warning : main fusion reactor will overload in 6 mins

Sisko and O'brien : well there's definitely no point running to the controls we need to disable it. Let's stroll the corridors casually

Civil Defense? Which scene was that? I thought the only way to disable the overload was to do so at the core itself?

Inviere wrote: »
    Civil Defense? Which scene was that? I thought the only way to disable the overload was to do so at the core itself?

When they've just disabled the forcefields and ops has said they can manually release something at junction 34. Sisko and obrien are like well ops won't make it in time but we will. jake says I WANNA GO TOO. sisko says okay son. they have a moment and casually stroll off.
    scene in ops.
    cut back to obrien sisko and jake approaching junction 34 ... at a casual stroll.
    it was before they had to crawl through the tube thing because it didn't work.
    i snerked again at the 'it isn't working due to the power surge - we could try x but we don't have enough time'. i wanted to say maybe you would have if you had run!!! :D

I like the smaller details they put into these episodes.
    'odo you're a shapeshifter, why don't you just shapeshift past whatever this forcefield is' -odo gives some kind of reason
    'why wasn't the vedek transported directly to the infirmary?' -some plasma interference reason
    Just that they bring up stuff you know someone would ask on watching it.

• Advertisement

I forgot sisko got a beard. what a development! it's not even a new season

I've been rewatching a few of my favourite episodes of DS9 over the last few days and Once More Unto the Breach is a probably the best Klingon-centric episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Daith

I like the smaller details they put into these episodes.
    'odo you're a shapeshifter, why don't you just shapeshift past whatever this forcefield is' -odo gives some kind of reason
    'why wasn't the vedek transported directly to the infirmary?' -some plasma interference reason
    Just that they bring up stuff you know someone would ask on watching it.

It beats the times on TNG when Troi's powers would have been so handy but she's not on the ship at the time

'hello, child'
    let's punch kai winn in the face

Have you gotten to Improbable Cause yet? It's probably the best episode of season three.

'hello, child'
    let's punch kai winn in the face

She's brilliantly played. Louise Fletcher was an inspired choice and quite a coup to get her

Evade wrote: »
    Have you gotten to Improbable Cause yet? It's probably the best episode of season three.
    yep! i'm on ep 24 of season 3 now
    She's brilliantly played. Louise Fletcher was an inspired choice and quite a coup to get her

She really is! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kai Winn is magnificent, and another example of why DS9 is not just the best Trek, but one of the best shows of its era, period; long before Game of Thrones was a televisual obsession, Kai Winn operated as a textbook example of the kind of scheming, manipulative, and nearly always unflappable figurehead who came out on top, regardless of the result.

She was quite brilliantly played, and Fletcher always came off like she was having an absolute blast playing the role.

It's got some great love to hate them villains alright.

It's the simplest of narrative tricks that so, so many stories forget, or simply ignore, that it's crazy that writers still make the mistake: the best villains are the ones who consider themselves the heroes of their own story. Take any of the great antagonists of fiction - Kai Winn included (hell, Gul Dukat is an even better example) - and often their motivations are never empirically evil as such. Sure, Kai Winn may have only ever acted to perpetuate her own power and position, but she honestly believed it ultimately all aligned with Bajor's best interests . Same with Dukay: a brutal, murderous man who was unrepentant about his actions, truly believing to be a benevolent man bringing order to those he subjugated.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

pixelburp wrote: »
    why DS9 is not just the best Trek, but one of the best shows of its era, period; long before Game of Thrones was a televisual obsession, .

The best trek show in my opinion, even the secondary characters like Garak, Martok, Dukat, Weyoun, Brand Nagus, Brunt, Damar Admiral Ross, etc had more depth than some of the main characters in the other shows like the annoying wesley crusher, the boring and awful geordie, travis mayweather.

can they not just use replicators to make more of these magic Reclamators that take toxins out of the soil

can they not just use replicators to make more of these magic Reclamators that take toxins out of the soil
    They must be one of those unreplicatable things like warp cores, latinum, or photon torpedoes. Or because the plot needed it.

Oh Holy Sh1t.
    1990s or not Profit and Lace is so bloody wrong.

An episode which could have been a great introspective on a huge cultural shift around gender rights gets it wrong at every step.

From Quark basically saying "hand job or you're fired", to the gender swap, "hormones", Leeta just there to say a woman is just her walk, Zek cracking on to "Lumba", Harvey Weinstein CEO of Sluggo Cola

Christ it's bad

They're Ferengi. Quark's handjob remark is out of character at this point but the rest, might as well complain about Klingons being fighty.

I suspect somewhere in the writers room, Profit and Lace was someone's initial idea to riff on that classic of cross dressing comedy, Some Like it Hot; the end result though was so, legitimately, offensively bad, it actually undermines the while claim of Trek being this gold standard of fictitious inclusiveness and progressive ideals. Even TOS wasn't as horrendously vulgar as that DS9 episode was.

Evade wrote: »
    They're Ferengi. Quark's handjob remark is out of character at this point but the rest, might as well complain about Klingons being fighty.

They might be Ferengi but it's a terrible script and concept.
    Again it could have been a great episode about social upheaval but instead became a horrible episode of stereotypes and sexual assault dressed up as comedy.

Just saying "they're Ferengi" is meaningless. My shock is at the producers and show runners.
    I had only seen this episode once before so didn't remember how terrible it was

They can't all be hits. I haven't seen it in a while but if you were to try scrape the episode for some value none of the non Ferengi really bat an eye at Quark (for some reason) changing his gender.

That episode is bookended with quark first demanding sexual favours from his staff (he was always super leery but that was the most graphic and blatant), then IIRC showing sympathy towards the same employee before becoming all weepy, cos women get emotional and hysterical dont'cha know. Yeeeeesh.

• Advertisement

I'm not really trying to defend it, it's a bad episode, but I don't get being offended by it.

Advertisement