Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Rawr

She's brilliantly played. Louise Fletcher was an inspired choice and quite a coup to get her

Kai Winn was gloriously unlikable (by design) and a clear political villain in the show. She was great to watch while she very clearly spent the show scheming her way to the top. All the while knowing that although she spoke softly about the "Will of the Prophets", that she'd instantly stab anyone in the back if if served her quest for power.

She was brilliant.

However I felt that they missed out on a possible thread with her. She would have been a prefect candidate as a Bajoran "Quisling" during the Dominion War. I can easily imagine a situation where the Dominion would offer to make her "Regent of Bajor for life" if she agreed to ally Bajor with the Dominion (not just non-aggression pact).

You could of had a Plot thread where Winn's Bajoran police-state (backed up by Jem Hadar) would enforce the Dominion agenda in the name of Winn's State and Church (thus creating all kinds of moral dilemmas for the Bajorans).

There was already plenty going on in DS9 at the time so it might have overloaded it, but I still imagine it as something that might of added an extra dab of "awesome" to that story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Evade

Rawr wrote: »
    However I felt that they missed out on a possible thread with her. She would have been a prefect candidate as a Bajoran "Quisling" during the Dominion War. I can easily imagine a situation where the Dominion would offer to make her "Regent of Bajor for life" if she agreed to ally Bajor with the Dominion (not just non-aggression pact).

You could of had a Plot thread where Winn's Bajoran police-state (backed up by Jem Hadar) would enforce the Dominion agenda in the name of Winn's State and Church (thus creating all kinds of moral dilemmas for the Bajorans).
    Cool as it sounds I'm not sure that type of storyline would work with Wynn. She hated the Bajoran collaborators during the Cardassian occupation I don't see here turning into one for the Dominion.

Evade wrote: »
    Cool as it sounds I'm not sure that type of storyline would work with Wynn. She hated the Bajoran collaborators during the Cardassian occupation I don't see here turning into one for the Dominion.

Thus a moral dilemma for Wynn herself:
    Blindly trusting her own instincts to grab power, she suddenly finds herself becoming the very thing she once hated. Only near the end does she realise this, with her own people pounding down the doors in resistance, much like they had resisted the Cardasians before.

Loads of character-development drama possibilities there :) It might have disrupted the whole Pa'rathes / Dukat story...but I guess you could still throw that in anyway as a story of Wynn trying to find comfort for what she had done...with "the devil"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Rawr wrote: »
    Kai Winn was gloriously unlikable (by design) and a clear political villain in the show. She was great to watch while she very clearly spent the show scheming her way to the top. All the while knowing that although she spoke softly about the "Will of the Prophets", that she'd instantly stab anyone in the back if if served her quest for power.

She was brilliant.

There was already plenty going on in DS9 at the time so it might have overloaded it, but I still imagine it as something that might of added an extra dab of "awesome" to that story.

That's why I hated the Winn/Dukat/Pah'Wraiths storyline. It was messy, felt rushed and honestly a bit boring and anticlimactic!

Although she was a nutjob, she had faith in the prophets and sometimes even Sisko himself. She trusts Sisko (telling Bajor to keep out of the Federation) and goes to him for advice on occasion. I believe she would have done anything the Prophets asked of her. She kept her faith all the way though the Occupation and was beaten daily. I don't think she was a villain, after all she helped Sisko defeat Dukat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I wonder if there was ever a story going to introduced with Bashir going to Garak for help to track down Section 31? Just seems a missed opportunity!

One thing I never realised how Garak and Sloan are connected. Both are assassins, members of a intelligence organisation, take a liking to Bashir etc but they also contributed to the Dominon War.

Sloan and Section 31 implanted the virus which was killing the Founders

Garak and Sisko pulled the Romulans into the war

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I wonder if there was ever a story going to introduced with Bashir going to Garak for help to track down Section 31? Just seems a missed opportunity!

One thing I never realised how Garak and Sloan are connected. Both are assassins, members of a intelligence organisation, take a liking to Bashir etc but they also contributed to the Dominon War.

Sloan and Section 31 implanted the virus which was killing the Founders

Garak and Sisko pulled the Romulans into the war

For some reason that comparison made me imagine Sloan as "Plain Simple Sloan" with his tailor-shop on the promenade, while occasionally flirting with Bashir at the Replimat.

What I'm imagining is kind of creepy, but also kind of hilarious because of it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good news for those looking to learn a new language: Duolingo just launched its new Klingon course today. Qapla'!

https://www.duolingo.com/course/tlh/en/Learn-Klingon-Online

• Registered Users Posts: 60,439 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Terry Farrell married Adam Nimoy.

Leonard Nimoy's Son Adam Marries Star Trek Actress Terry Farrell on His Late Father's Birthday
    On Monday, which would’ve been Leonard Nimoy‘s 87th birthday, his son Adam wed Star Trek: Deep Space Nine actress Terry Farrell in San Francisco, California.

The couple, who announced their engagement in August 2017, shared their wedding selfie with film critic Scott Mantz who tweeted the happy news, writing, “Adam Nimoy & Terry Farrell got married today at a civil ceremony at City Hall in San Francisco! Today is the birthday of Adam’s father #LeonardNimoy! Big CONGRATS to the happy couple!!”

Following the wedding, Farrell, 54, added, “Mrs. Adam Nimoy,” to her bio on Twitter. “Freakin AWESOME day!! Love ya all!” the bride tweeted on Monday.

http://people.com/tv/leonard-nimoy-son-adam-marries-terry-farrell/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,753 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah, if only.....

Never really took to the Sovereign class/-E to be honest, and the -D still had plenty left to give (as we saw later on in DS9 with Galaxy wings)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've never liked any of the TNG enterprises, they've all just been as ugly as sin. So ungainly and deformed. Not knowledgeable of designations, but the TV version is to me one of Treks ugliest designs. It may be heretical to say mind. Am I banned? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,730 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Ah, if only.....

Never really took to the Sovereign class/-E to be honest, and the -D still had plenty left to give (as we saw later on in DS9 with Galaxy wings)

I have to say the Enterprise-D looks stunning there but maybe a little overdone on the windows. Have to say do I love the E and thought the way they introduced it in First Contact was perfect. Would have loved to seen it in a new series. I think if the D had of been used in First Contact it would have needed on upgrade with more advanced weapons, defensive systems, sensors and computer as otherwise the Borg would have easily destroyed it as they knew everything about it.

AMKC wrote: »
    Would have loved to seen it in a new series.
    Or some of the other Sovereign class ships in those big DS9 battle scenes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

I have to say the Enterprise-D looks stunning there but maybe a little overdone on the windows. Have to say do I love the E and thought the way they introduced it in First Contact was perfect. Would have loved to seen it in a new series. I think if the D had of been used in First Contact it would have needed on upgrade with more advanced weapons, defensive systems, sensors and computer as otherwise the Borg would have easily destroyed it as they knew everything about it.

I generally liked the exterior of the Enterprise E in first contact; it was clean and simple. They ruined it in the later films by adding so many unnecessary details and ugly plating- it just looked messy and unrefined. I really wish they had done the Enterprise D properly for a film, instead of rushing into Generations after the TV show was done. If they had spend a good year or so ameding the Enterprise D for a movie, and had a bigger budget, it could have looked stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,753 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I generally liked the exterior of the Enterprise E in first contact; it was clean and simple. They ruined it in the later films by adding so many unnecessary details and ugly plating- it just looked messy and unrefined. I really wish they had done the Enterprise D properly for a film, instead of rushing into Generations after the TV show was done. If they had spend a good year or so ameding the Enterprise D for a movie, and had a bigger budget, it could have looked stunning.

Same crowd did a Venture-variant of the same shot..

I have to say, I think it looks better - the darker paint job makes the ship look bigger and more up for a fight IMO

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I have to say, I think it looks better - the darker paint job makes the ship look bigger and more up for a fight IMO
    That looks very nice. Making the internal lights less bright makes a big difference too.

Ms

I can't say I really noticed that much. I know they added rear photon,quantum torpedo launchers as they did not have any on the ship for First Contact as there was no need for any in that film.

That was always the problem do they were always limited by what they could do because of the budget. Maybe if it was remastered they could make it look really good now and not for to much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Inviere

What is the Venture-variant of the Ent-D? Looks nicer, whatever it is! Very movie like, and better than the Sovvy imo

Inviere wrote: »
    What is the Venture-variant of the Ent-D? Looks nicer, whatever it is! Very movie like, and better than the Sovvy imo
    USS Venture. The model is the future Enterprise from All Good Things without the third warp nacelle. It first showed up in Way of the Warrior and a few more times throughout the Dominion War

Evade wrote: »
    USS Venture. The model is the future Enterprise from All Good Things without the third warp nacelle. It first showed up in Way of the Warrior and a few more times throughout the Dominion War

Ah, a refit of sorts. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

the yamata was another galaxy class, it featured in DS9 introducing the dominion and was destroyed

the yamata was another galaxy class, it featured in DS9 introducing the dominion and was destroyed
    The Yamato was destroyed in season two of TNG.

That was the Odyssey

ah right, my mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 12,284 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Odyssey's destruction scene was awesome

All Eyes On Rafah

paramount announced tonight there are 2 new trek movies coming...most likely the abrams francise one

Ms

Odyssey's destruction scene was awesome

It showed how far the Dominion were willing to go. It was lucky that there was only a skeleton crew on it and that all the families on it had been taken off at DS9.

Ms

paramount announced tonight there are 2 new trek movies coming...most likely the abrams francise one

Just seen this this morning. Nice news to see. They must have great confidence in them announcing two movies. I am hoping they can be something good. Maybe the will do a JJ Verse one and a Prime Universe one. That would be great and would keep everyone happy. It is what should have been done for the 50th Anniversary.

Maybe the will do a JJ Verse one and a Prime Universe one.
    If they were to do a Prime Universe film do you think they'd use a new crew or existing crew? And if it's an existing crew would they recast?

• Advertisement

Just seen this this morning. Nice news to see. They must have great confidence in them announcing two movies. I am hoping they can be something good. Maybe the will do a JJ Verse one and a Prime Universe one. That would be great and would keep everyone happy. It is what should have been done for the 50th Anniversary.

The last one was a step in the right direction IMHO.

Right after JJ left to do his copy/paste on Wars

Advertisement