Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

In fairness hippies are the social issue of the day.

Like it's a lot less cringing than chakotay.

How about a 19th century Irish village?

How about a 19th century Irish village?

Never happened

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Just on that, since Michael Sullivan went against his programming, isn't he considered sentient like The Doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Just on that, since Michael Sullivan went against his programming, isn't he considered sentient like The Doctor?

Or Vic Fontaine

IvySlayer wrote: »

No. Because.....disruption in the space time continuum created a plot hole and inconsistency which was just outside our space time continuum, so the voyager crew were unable to grasp it.

Or..

Space Wizard.

• Advertisement

Oh lord, which is worse?

Fairhaven
    Captain Proton
    Hirogen Nazi's
    the one with the clown and Harry Kim..

Cant remember any of the others, but they were always bollocks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think you're forgetting someone...

latest?cb=20060114010216&path-prefix=en

Flotter?

Oh lord, which is worse?

Fairhaven
    Captain Proton
    Hirogen Nazi's

I thought the idea Of The evil clown as fear was a great concept, Just poor execution.

That list is pretty bad alright. I'd also like to include warp ten turning people into horny space lizards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

More 'splosions and bike chases.

I think "Beyond" was a step in the right direction as it had some story, was much more like the Original Series also character development and I think the next film would be more than that.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Oh lord, which is worse?

Fairhaven
    Captain Proton
    Hirogen Nazi's

Captain Proton is as it was just terrible a whole episode of that was way to much. The others I can put up with but that was terrible.

Voyager was not all bad there is some great episodes in Voyager too like

The Omega Directive,
    Timeless,
    Flashback,
    Drone.

Thats just some there is other good episodes too yes some are terrible and cringe but there are good ones too.

If only the vidians had killed off Neelix in the first season. Or even left him without lungs, confined to sickbay, where the doctor could torture him with his singing.

Ahh i didnt hate it, i just find it hard to watch it again with those awful episodes in there. It's still trek, just not as we know it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

AMKC wrote: »
    I think "Beyond" was a step in the right direction as it had some story, was much more like the Original Series also character development and I think the next film would be more than that.

Where was the character development?

Kirk as the reluctant great hero?

Spock as the repressed passionate?

McCoy as the wise cracking observer?

They are characters frozen in the very basic archetypes they were established as in the opening 30 minutes of the first film.

That beyond is a poor action film packaged under a popular brand, and nothing more.

"I won't turn the click back to correct one mistake"

Janeway to the doctor in 'retrospect'.

She has no bother doing it when the shoe is on the her foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I never bought Janeway's decision in the finale as being one that I felt it was feasible that she would make. She fundamentally and willingly changes the timeline, creating a drastically altered reality and to hell with the countless lives which will be worse and which won't even exist as a result.

I had similar feelings about 'Yesterday's Enterprise' for that matter. Picard asks his crew to sacrifice themselves to save the Enterprise C as a hail mary to stop the war. Fine. But he's also asking anyone with kids or family or anyone else they care about under the age of 20 to sacrifice those loved ones. Not even to see them die but to create a new reality in which they never even existed. They even acknowledge that the new future wouldn't be better for everyone with Tasha playing that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I never bought Janeway's decision in the finale as being one that I felt it was feasible that she would make. She fundamentally and willingly changes the timeline, creating a drastically altered reality and to hell with the countless lives which will be worse and which won't even exist as a result.

I had similar feelings about 'Yesterday's Enterprise' for that matter. Picard asks his crew to sacrifice themselves to save the Enterprise C as a hail mary to stop the war. Fine. But he's also asking anyone with kids or family or anyone else they care about under the age of 20 to sacrifice those loved ones. Not even to see them die but to create a new reality in which they never even existed. They even acknowledge that the new future wouldn't be better for everyone with Tasha playing that role.

At least with that decision the enterprise was a ship of war and Picard knew the federation were losing the war, Janeway just did it so a few people wouldn't die

And the other mitigating factor was that Picard had Guinan telling him that their reality was the 'wrong' reality and that the Enterprise C wasn't supposed to be there. Therefore his decision was effectively to put things back to where they should have been.

Nonetheless the Senior Officers realised the stakes - I'm sure I remember there being a conversation about how they would cease to exist - and you'd imagine that someone on the ship would have taken exception to what they were trying to do.

Temporal prime directive would necessitate the correction too no?

Temporal prime directive would necessitate the correction too no?

It's a closed loop though so that doesn't come I to it.

Tasha 2 and Sela already existed in the prime universe when the events of yesterday's enterprise happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Luckily someone in the comments posted a list - as several were buried in make-up on their shows:

Jeffrey Combs, Garret Wang,Martha Hackett, Casey Biggs, Eric Pierpoint, Kitty Swink,
    Dominic Keating, Nicole De Boer, Max Grodenchik, Terry Farrell, Adam Nimoy Conner Trinneer, Greg Grunberg,
    Eddie Paskey, William Shatner, Robert O'reilly, Armin Shimerman, Al Worden, Chase Masterson, Marina Sirtis, Alice Krige
    Walter Koenig, George Takei

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Was anyone else at the Birmingham event? What I learned from the weekend is that Casey Biggs is a playa'. Also I learned to steer my girlfriend away from Casey Biggs.

he must be in his 60's now, good ol Damar the ladies man :D

he must be in his 60's now, good ol Damar the ladies man :D

Chase Masterson is still hot

Chase Masterson is still hot

Indeed

As are Nicole de Boer and Terry Farrell

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

This was an amazing hoot. These guys were having an absolute blast and were totally pissed. The videos starts with Jeffry Combs singing rocket man in the style of William Shatner then Casey Biggs singing Bathleth Baby. Also on stage is Vaughn Armstrong , Max Grodénchik and Armin Shimerman who I met in the hotel afterwards !

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

But didn't she have little respect for the timeline. I seem to remember in those stories that the time cops would always complain that she had no respect for the temporal prime directive.

The time stuff is always dodgy ground.

I think there's a difference between doing what needed to be done in the moment for the complete betterment of Humanity or to fix someone else's tampering of the timeline, as you could argue her earlier timeline transgressions were, and doing something that condemns an entire timeline to oblivion because it might be better for a handful of people.

Anything with time travel is difficult to try to think about much, of course, but it is the character motivations which generally stand out for me when I'm watching anything. For a finale it just seemed like they had got completely wrong a character who after seven years they should have known inside out.

• Advertisement
    Ms

ScumLord wrote: »
    But didn't she have little respect for the timeline. I seem to remember in those stories that the time cops would always complain that she had no respect for the temporal prime directive.

The time stuff is always dodgy ground.

Yes in "Relativity" They said Voyager did appear on there screens far to often.

Advertisement