Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

Ah sure it's only fair that ya send a pic on, of course :) I just don't want one up in public :o

Also, I'd rather get ignored after sending a pic, than be led on or even get a message saying 'sorry you're not my type'! If you're ignored after sending a pic, it's safe to assume they're not attracted to you. No biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    You don't need to know. :p

Ah, we do.

Sharing is caring! Tis what the thread is all about! :D

Just kidding you don't have to if you don't want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Oh God, the peer pressure!

*runs away to hide in AH*

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Have a date for early next week. He seems really nice. Looking forward to it but nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

Nerves should go once you sit down....I always get butterflies before meeting someone, but usually chill pretty quickly.That's why it's important to keep first meets very informal, less pressure.

Anyway, what's the worse that could happen..... :p

Probably best not to think of worst case scenarios when it comes to internet dating :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Just forced myself into sending a couple of messages. My heart just isn't in this :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

So after uploading a new OKC pic yesterday I have 30 profile visits....

"Oooh, who's this new one? She seems nice...oh no wait, it's just her again. :( "

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Just forced myself into sending a couple of messages. My heart just isn't in this :(

You might be better off taking a break from it for a while if that's the case, online dating can get a little full on....

If you're not that into it, I wouldn't bother imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

You might be better off taking a break from it for a while if that's the case, online dating can get a little full on....

If you're not that into it, I wouldn't bother imo.

I've only just got back into it after about 7 months away! I was with guy for a while and I've been licking my wounds for quite a while since we broke up so I decided to get back on the saddle, just still pining for the ex.

I'll battle through :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

What's with all these guys on their POF profiles suggesting bungee jumps as a first date??

I mean fair enough if you want to show that you have an adventurous side, but it's not very realistic :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Created a profile on OKC last week. Having a lot of trouble taking it seriously though... feels like my heart is somewhere else. Not sure if it's for me at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

So I literally just signed up to POF. 5 mins in, 5 messages! 1 saying "So you look hot" even though my pictures are on private!

Yeah sometimes I really wonder why people join if they can't be bothered to read your profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Daisies wrote: »
    So I literally just signed up to POF. 5 mins in, 5 messages! 1 saying "So you look hot" even though my pictures are on private!
    They can smell the hawt off ya D,I'd take it as a compliment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

They can smell the hawt off ya D,I'd take it as a compliment.

Go back to your Guinness you drunken poster! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I've a non alcoholic drink date today/tomorrow. Eek! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Larianne wrote: »

I am always on non alcoholic drink dates as I am a pioneer......luckily she isn't so I gave her all the glasses of wine I would have had, worked out well!

Best of luck with your date, keep us updated ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

When you create a new profile and add photos to it sometimes POF takes a few minutes to register that your photos should be set to 'Private', so it's possible that the person saw your photos in that short space of time before they were hidden. Of course the alternative that it was simply a copy & paste message you received is also quite possible given that it is POF. Oh the constant struggle of online dating, do we live as an optimist or a realist. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, things are a bit slow on my ventures; I've been chatting to a nice girl for a few days, she is the short message reply type which would usually make me guess that the person is just trying to be polite by replying even though they're not interested, the messages do however contain questions trying to progress the conversation so I'll live in hope for the moment :)

cade wrote: »
    When you create a new profile and add photos to it sometimes POF takes a few minutes to register that your photos should be set to 'Private', so it's possible that the person saw your photos in that short space of time before they were hidden. Of course the alternative that it was simply a copy & paste message you received is also quite possible given that it is POF. Oh the constant struggle of online dating, do we live as an optimist or a realist. :rolleyes:

Gosh darn it! Well, we'll see how things go from here. Any tips? Not going to lie, I've been reading this thread and it doesn't fill me with hope!

Gosh darn it! Well, we'll see how things go from here. Any tips? Not going to lie, I've been reading this thread and it doesn't fill me with hope!

The only things I can offer is that you set up some restrictions on who can mail you, just to cut out those only looking for penpals, those who admit to being married or who have mailed persons looking for NSA. The Minimum characters in the first mail settings is a good option too as it'll make people put effort into a mail to you, so cuts out time wasters.

Add a few hooks to your profile for interested people to latch on to in their mails to you. i.e. interests, hobbies activities. Otherwise you'll get simple copy & paste messages or terrible pick up lines. Oh and 'Prefer not to say' in any of the answer boxes will always make people suspicious.

When you do get a mail or see a users profile that interests you it is worth throwing the url of one or more of their pics in tineye just to make sure that the picture is not simply stolen from the net meaning a fake profile.

These things will help but you will still get messages from weirdos, assholes, timewasters, people looking for NSA or FWB. Despite all the negatives there are some genuine nice people on the site so it is worth the sifting effort. Though the worst part of online dating is the whole 'oh they're nice but I won't pick them as someone better could come along' aspect to it which leads to promising mail exchanges simply ending abruptly. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Larianne wrote: »
    I've had both types of date (with/without alcohol) and to be honest the coffee ones cut to the chase faster. If they are very quiet sometimes the drinks date will cover that and first time you meet with no alcohol conversation is a total struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I had a coffee date yesterday. The company was far more entertaining than the 0-0 football match.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

ladylost wrote: »
    I've had both types of date (with/without alcohol) and to be honest the coffee ones cut to the chase faster. If they are very quiet sometimes the drinks date will cover that and first time you meet with no alcohol conversation is a total struggle.

My first date with a girl around 11 weeks ago was a coffee date followed by a light dinner. We got on great.

We're still dating so coffee dates are not a bad first meet and greet in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Ended up running into someone i was talking to on cs, while in a bar with my friend. He said he'd stay for a few minutes as he found me funny for some reason. Few minutes turned into getting the last bus, which turned into him not bothering to get the last bus and staying out til 4am with us. 8 hours! Also ended up kissing a few times, followed by the suggestion of coffee during the week. Also, date yesterday was fun. Funny guy. :)

Thanks for the tips cade!

Thanks for the tips cade!

No worries Daisies, just bear in mind that I myself haven't been successful on such sites as of yet; they are simply my own observations of profiles I'd be more likely to visit and subsequently mail. :cool:

Once your profile has content and lists interests that others can use to mail you about, without them being too far removed from what could interest the majority of users, i.e. it's cool to have an interest in Paleontology but I like I'm sure many people wouldn't be able to hold a conversation about it, then you should be sorted. ;)

The absolute worst way you could leave a profile is to have it saying something bland like 'love going out with the girls at the weekend and having a laugh'. This portrays a complete lack of personality. Not that you would do that mind Daisies I'm just saying that for anyone else lurking in this thread. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Gotta love how small Ireland is when a girl you messaged 2 days ago on POF pops up on your facebook newsfeed in a picture with your cousin

I really badly want to post a photo of a guy kneeling begging to be my slave....

It's not explicit or anything, but I reckon that's a bit mean if I post it here... since I'm a nice girl I'll just mock him verbally instead :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I wonder do blokes ever get the female equivalent of that.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't think so. If they did, I suspect the profile and photo would be fake, and the sender a hairy interweb man :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement