Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Or most of the men on the site are very desperate. Seems a more logical explanation!

Ah, I wouldn't think like that. I guess, its better to meet up sooner rather than later to see if you click than waste time chatting on line to someone and when you do meet-up neither have any interest in taking it further.

No set formula with online dating...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Larianne wrote: »
    You're obviously so cool and hot that the guys are afraid you'll be snapped up by someone else! :) If you're not comfortable meeting up in such a short space of time just let them know.

Or most of the men on the site are very desperate. Seems a more logical explanation!
    I'm the opposite I prefer to meet up sooner rather than later. 5 would be ok for me once I got decent info. I'm not looking for a penpal so I prefer to meet up sooner to see if there is a spark!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

I dunno, I tend not to waste time on a "pen pal" and weeks of messages back and forward. If I don't have an interest in someone after 4/5 messages. I'm not going to waste my time sending messages back and forth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

BigDuffman wrote: »
    I dunno, I tend not to waste time on a "pen pal" and weeks of messages back and forward. If I don't have an interest in someone after 4/5 messages. I'm not going to waste my time sending messages back and forth!

I don't mean I want messages lasting weeks, just three or four exchanged in 20 minutes seems a bit fast! I was thinking a day or two!

I don't mean I want messages lasting weeks, just three or four exchanged in 20 minutes seems a bit fast! I was thinking a day or two!

Yeah but when can you meet? It may not be for another week or so, and then ye will have messaged for a few days :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Pembily wrote: »
    Yeah but when can you meet? It may not be for another week or so, and then ye will have messaged for a few days :)

Hmm. I didn't consider that, actually. I need to learn this online dating etiquette. It's so much easier to just get stuck into someone at a bar, I swear.

Hmm. I didn't consider that, actually. I need to learn this online dating etiquette. It's so much easier to just get stuck into someone at a bar, I swear.
    Haha! If I was to start messaging someone now I can't meet them for about 2 weeks. So while they ask you on a date today you may not meet them for over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

The worst is someone coming along who might be interesting, but you're genuinely too busy to meet them, so there's this prolonged period of back and forth, where they're dropping the "let's meet up!" hints like crazy, but you've got nothing but "I'm stupidly busy" to reply with. In real life it's somewhat understandable, but online people can feel that you're just not interested.
    Once had a girl give out to me for being busy "If you're so busy, why are you on an online dating site?!" as if not being able to meet up in the next two weeks was cause to close down my profile :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Haha! If I was to start messaging someone now I can't meet them for about 2 weeks. So while they ask you on a date today you may not meet them for over a week.

I'm the same. My free time is so limited its not funny & I'm not paying a babysitter €30 to go meet someone for coffee. If I got chatting to someone today the soonest I could meet them is next Sunday. Heck, the guy I'm chatting with is being fit into a trip to Dublin to see family & even then time will be limited because my family don't know where I'm going.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

That tineye.com is a serious site, the amount of girls I've caught with fake photos is incredible.

• Advertisement

Owen wrote: »
    That tineye.com is a serious site, the amount of girls I've caught with fake photos is incredible.

Sounds handy alright

That's the one for checking them, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dolly Daydreams

No way? ha ha.. Did you tell them you caught them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

What sites do people use for online dating other than pof and okc? Had a quick look but theres so many different ones and Id prefer to sign up to something reputable that wont just spam me constantly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

No way? ha ha.. Did you tell them you caught them out?

Nope, just report the profile and paste a link to the tineye search results for the admins to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dolly Daydreams

Nope, just report the profile and paste a link to the tineye search results for the admins to deal with.

I don't get why they'd bother doing it..

OHMYGOD, classic message - Can I lick ur hoop

That was it, no punctuation and text speak! Eh nope, no, nope, no!

But then... part of you wonders, maybe he was a crime-fighting billionaire from Scotland, trying to text with his nose while defusing a bomb. Instead of hoop he meant face, instead of lick he meant kiss, instead of ur he meant "your uniquely beautiful".

I think you should take the chance Pem. It could be magic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Got a mail from a guy who's profile pic is a cocker spanial asking me for coffee.Looked at his profile, not filled in.Said, "Ah, I know nothing about you", response "Blue is my favourite colour". He's a keeper!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

Daisies wrote: »
    Got a mail from a guy who's profile pic is a cocker spanial asking me for coffee.Looked at his profile, not filled in.Said, "Ah, I know nothing about you", response "Blue is my favourite colour". He's a keeper!

You sound awfully fussy :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

tatumkelly wrote: »
    Daisies wrote: »

You sound awfully fussy :p

Can't deny that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

:eek:

Fewcifur wrote: »
    But then... part of you wonders, maybe he was a crime-fighting billionaire from Scotland, trying to text with his nose while defusing a bomb. Instead of hoop he meant face, instead of lick he meant kiss, instead of ur he meant "your uniquely beautiful".

I think you should take the chance Pem. It could be magic.

Oh god, how did I mis-read it :P :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

POF.com keeps showing up the same faces all the time. This is getting boring.:(:rolleyes:

I have also found a guy who is an enigeer! It's getting worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

POF.com keeps showing up the same faces all the time. This is getting boring.:(:rolleyes:

Yup same happening here, also my views are pretty much nonexistent.

Quick question for people, ive probably been a bit too picky about contacting girls whos profiles just consist of that generic "love going out with the girls, if you wanna know more just ask" etc or even girls who seem interesting but just have very limited profiles. My question is what to ask? Hobbies, music? or what? im just unsure as to where to go with those.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Very easily, Google photo, upload!! Galva has a link that you can check the photo through!

I've never used that website. I'm so well known on this thread I'm known for things not of my doing! Not sure if that's a good thing....
    So you're the boards hoe that I've been hearing so much about. ;)

You dont exactly hear about them coming back for seconds though do you? ;)
    VinLieger wrote: »
    Quick question for people, ive probably been a bit too picky about contacting girls whos profiles just consist of that generic "love going out with the girls, if you wanna know more just ask" etc or even girls who seem interesting but just have very limited profiles. My question is what to ask? Hobbies, music? or what? im just unsure as to where to go with those.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kaldea

VinLieger wrote: »

I'm the same, I've never done the online dating thing but for the first time last night I looked at a few websites to see what its like an whether I'd give it a go! But I wanna know specifics! Like are they into the same things that I'm into! tv, games, movies etc! But I don't know how to spark up a convo an go 'hey, do you like stuff!?'

Galvasean wrote: »
    Very easily, Google photo, upload!! Galva has a link that you can check the photo through!
    I've never used that website. I'm so well known on this thread I'm known for things not of my doing! Not sure if that's a good thing....
    Did you not mention it? I'm blaming my confusion on being sick :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭red_diesel

Anybody ever been to a POF singles night?? There are a few this weekend in Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement