Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

pedatron wrote: »
    Just got given this phone by a friend for free! Have an SGS2 but was always keen on getting a windows phone so can't complain. I'm on emobile and have extensively googled ways to unlock the phone. This includes me being willing to pay for it!! Just cannot find anything anywhere. Really has me perplexed. It's an o2 lumia 800.

Can anyone help me? I'd be very grateful!

Is your friend on bill? If so just ask him to get an unlocking code from the network. For whatever reason the lumia's are quite expensive and hard to unlock. I found a few websites ranging up to 60 euro's.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

Has anyone on vodafone with the lumia 800 got the new Tango update yet? It says on the nokia website that the update is available but it hasn't been sent to my phone yet

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

jonseyblub wrote: »
    Has anyone on vodafone with the lumia 800 got the new Tango update yet? It says on the nokia website that the update is available but it hasn't been sent to my phone yet

Try the Zune trick:

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/update-for-Lumia-800-and-Lumia-710-update-trick/td-p/1490320

Details for people who don't like clicking on links:

Start Zune,
    Turn off Data connection and Wifi on the Phone,
    Connect the Phone with the PC (USB),
    Start the update search in Zune,
    About 3 seconds later, disconnect your PC from the internet (Turn WLAN off),
    Zune finds Update. Press OK.
    Connect to the internet again and install the update.

If it does not work at first then try again until you do. Make sure you count 3 seconds before disconnecting

I did this three times on my German unlocked Lumia 800 and I am now on OS Version: 7.10.8873.98 and Firmware Version: 1750.0805.8773.12220.

I now have internet tethering - when updates have been installed go to System -> Internet Sharing and enable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Got it yesterday evening (took about 1/2 hour to update & install)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

On meteor and got the OS update yesterday, still waiting on the nokia firmware update to enable internet tethering. Although I had to force the last firmware update manually as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Guenlay

hadoken13 wrote: »

Try the Zune trick:

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/update-for-Lumia-800-and-Lumia-710-update-trick/td-p/1490320

Start Zune,

If it does not work at first then try again until you do. Make sure you count 3 seconds before disconnecting

I did this three times on my German unlocked Lumia 800 and I am now on OS Version: 7.10.8873.98 and Firmware Version: 1750.0805.8773.12220.

I now have internet tethering - when updates have been installed go to System -> Internet Sharing and enable.

Got update by the wlan off way, now I wandering why my Firmware Version is same as before: 8107.12072

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Meteor folks did ye force the update or did it actually come ?

Meteor folks did ye force the update or did it actually come ?

The OS update came auto when I checked on zune (I was less interested in the OS updated more so in the firmware).

If anyone has a link to the country variant cab for the latest Firmware I would be very grateful :). Want tethering and guessing meteor will strip it out or not send out the update period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I'm surprised O2 is the last to publish the Tango update. Would have thought they'd be one of the first.

Thank Goodness 7.8 bypasses operators. Otherwise it'd be another disaster.

got to love xda, firmware update done and internet sharing enabled :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Anyone on Vodafone? Iv got nothing?

Guenlay wrote: »
    Got update by the wlan off way, now I wandering why my Firmware Version is same as before: 8107.12072

As soon as I updated to version 8873 (after three updates) the Nokia firmware update was automatically available - you don't have to do the trick for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Try the Zune trick:

Start Zune,

Hmmm, I was about to give up on this method after about ten attempts until I read on the Nokia thread that it worked for someone in offline mode.

"Sure I'll give that a shot..." I says to myself, and be the hokey, there's the update! Now isn't that a treat!

How on earth did someone figure out that this was a method for coaxing the update, that's what I want to know...

Thank you Hadoken!

Ro

Edit: Hmmm, after updating my details are still showing up as follows:

OS Version: 7.10.8112.7
    Firmware Version: 1600.2489.8107.12072

That is what I had prior to the update I'm sure? Should I be trying to coax another update? Is it necessary to do it a few times for cumulative updates? So many questions, so little time...

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

I am in the same boat.

Did the Zune trick but details have not changed.

Ronan H wrote: »
    Hmmm, I was about to give up on this method after about ten attempts until I read on the Nokia thread that it worked for someone in offline mode.

"Sure I'll give that a shot..." I says to myself, and be the hokey, there's the update! Now isn't that a treat!

How on earth did someone figure out that this was a method for coaxing the update, that's what I want to know...

Thank you Hadoken!

Ro

Edit: Hmmm, after updating my details are still showing up as follows:

OS Version: 7.10.8112.7
    Firmware Version: 1600.2489.8107.12072

That is what I had prior to the update I'm sure? Should I be trying to coax another update? Is it necessary to do it a few times for cumulative updates? So many questions, so little time...

:confused:

I had to do three separate updates prior to getting 8773 and then after this final update, it automatically found the Nokia firmware update. I found it easier to have a network monitoring tool (I have a network activity tool on the desktop) such as task manager and after clicking update, wait for the activity to jump, as soon as it does, disconnect wi-fi. Then it should say update available and you can re-connect wi-fi.

I had to do three separate updates prior to getting 8773 and then after this final update, it automatically found the Nokia firmware update. I found it easier to have a network monitoring tool (I have a network activity tool on the desktop) such as task manager and after clicking update, wait for the activity to jump, as soon as it does, disconnect wi-fi. Then it should say update available and you can re-connect wi-fi.

OK, I didn't read / understand your other post correctly it seems. I didn't realise that you did three actual updates. I thought you meant that you made three attempts to update and it got it on the third one.

I have been trying for the past few minutes and it has picked up another update and is currently installing it. It said it was OS version 8773. I wish I had taken note of what OS it picked up lat night seeing as nothing changed, how baffling.

So if this installs correctly the firmware update should just appear in Zune if I do an update check (without the wifi off business)?

This sort of thread is a great example of the power of community knowledge and how important information sharing is. Thread win.

Edit: It picked up the Nokia update automatically and is now installing that, hopefully that will be that!

OK, I didn't read / understand your other post correctly it seems. I didn't realise that you did three actual updates. I thought you meant that you made three attempts to update and it got it on the third one.

I have been trying for the past few minutes and it has picked up another update and is currently installing it. It said it was OS version 8773. I wish I had taken note of what OS it picked up lat night seeing as nothing changed, how baffling.

So if this installs correctly the firmware update should just appear in Zune if I do an update check (without the wifi off business)?

This sort of thread is a great example of the power of community knowledge and how important information sharing is. Thread win.

Edit: It picked up the Nokia update automatically and is now installing that, hopefully that will be that!

Sorry about that, should've made the post clearer.

Yes, after my OS updated with 8773, the Nokia Firmware update installation launched automatically without having to click update. But you may have to click update if this doesn't work.

Only saw your edit there now. You should be able to go to Settings -> Internet Sharing and see that tethering is available.

I didn't have to click anything, I was about to look for a button to click but it had already cracked on and was on step 7 of 9!

Oooh exciting:

(Laptop screen) Step 8 of 9 Restarting your phone...

Step 9 of 9 Completing installation...

Checking for updates...

SUCCESSFUL UPDATE - YOU CAN NOW DISCONNECT YOUR PHONE :eek:

(Phone screen) Entering PIN... * * * *

Success! Your phone has been updated.

*** swipes to settings, swipes up ***

There it is, the holy grail, Internet Sharing :D.

So there you have it folks, the weird switch-off-your-WiFi-in-the-middle-of-an-update-check-if-you-want-to-actually-get-the-update trick works a charm, but, you might have to do it a couple of times!

Thanks Hadoken once again!

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Nice one.

I updated once on Saturday and again this morning via the Zune trick and then it automatically found the Nokia update and I am now up to speed.

I thought it may have solved my MMS problem but unfortunatly not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

Vodafone update came through Zune tonight.

Guys I have a problem, I was using my lumia 800 and was connected to the internet using wifi, While i was on facebook the wifi for some reason disconnected, When I went to the wifi option in settings, the next screen for wifi would not load, I turned off the phone hoping it would fix the problem but now the phone does not turn on,

Any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

What do you mean by "doesn't turn on"? Are you sure it's not just out of battery?

What do you mean by "doesn't turn on"? Are you sure it's not just out of battery?

It was charging while i was using it,

Guys I have a problem, I was using my lumia 800 and was connected to the internet using wifi, While i was on facebook the wifi for some reason disconnected, When I went to the wifi option in settings, the next screen for wifi would not load, I turned off the phone hoping it would fix the problem but now the phone does not turn on,

Any ideas

Try a soft reset of the phone - either hold the power button down for 10 seconds or hold the volume down button + power until the screen lights up. See if that helps. If that doesn't then it sounds like a defective handset. If it's under warranty you can bring it back to get fixed.

If you can get it turned on check to see what OS version are you running and what firmware? Settings -> About -> More information.

I haven't noticed any issue like this before.

Try a soft reset of the phone - either hold the power button down for 10 seconds or hold the volume down button + power until the screen lights up. See if that helps. If that doesn't then it sounds like a defective handset. If it's under warranty you can bring it back to get fixed.

If you can get it turned on check to see what OS version are you running and what firmware? Settings -> About -> More information.

I haven't noticed any issue like this before.

You are my hero! I did the soft reset and now its back in action,

Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Hi All

A bit embaraased i have to ask this as there are really good tips on how to force this upgrade but for the life of me i cant get it working and seems everyone else can..lol

what i am doing is

- turn off data connection on phone
    - connect phone to pc, zune auto opens
    - start update search from zune menu
    - kill wifi connection on laptop after 3 secs
    - what i get then is the searching icon is still "searching" and then i get message that the search cant be completed on zune
    - repeat above ( close zune / disconnect phone and restart all over )

am i doing this correct, i have tried it numerous times and no luck - seems to me i am following the procedure but doesn't seem to be working so just wanted to check this is what other people seen.

i have a sim free finland variant phone on Voda, update not appearing in zune still.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I've gotten the OS update but the firmware update is still nowhere to be found.

I'm surprised - I thought they'd be one in the same..!

Anyone here with vodafone that was successful with the update? I still cant get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

FGR wrote: »
    I've gotten the OS update but the firmware update is still nowhere to be found.

I'm surprised - I thought they'd be one in the same..!

WP7 has always separated firmware and OS updates. The OS update is compatible with multiple devices, the firmware is device specific.

Advertisement