Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diablo 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

folks, now the hype and excitement should have died a little - for a non-diablo gamer, should i get this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hype and excitement died?

Youve never played a Blizz game before have you?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Zulu wrote: »
    folks, now the hype and excitement should have died a little - for a non-diablo gamer, should i get this game?

What are your favourite games?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

grizzly wrote: »
    What are your favourite games?
    In terms of RPG's I loved dragon age (this was my first foray into RPG), dragon age 2 and mass effect 2 & 3.
    Loved fallout 3 but got bored of new vegas.
    Enjoyed skyrim, but lost interest and haven't gone back.

I go for RTS & strategy games (Medieval2 total war, civ 5, command & conquers)

FPS are alright, but Flashpoint, & COD2 were my favourate, and battlefield 3. Got tired of COD after modern warfare 2. Playing and loving arma dayz atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

In terms of RPG's I loved dragon age (this was my first foray into RPG), dragon age 2 and mass effect 2 & 3.
    Loved fallout 3 but got bored of new vegas.
    Enjoyed skyrim, but lost interest and haven't gone back.

I go for RTS & strategy games (Medieval2 total war, civ 5, command & conquers)

FPS are alright, but Flashpoint, & COD2 were my favourate, and battlefield 3. Got tired of COD after modern warfare 2. Playing and loving arma dayz atm.

From that list, I'd say you'd enjoy it – purely based on me having the same opinion on all those games. I can see myself getting bored with it in a few months, but I've put in over 30 hours and am still enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

TheDoc wrote: »
    Level 20 Barb. I'm jumping alot through characters but might give him some more love this week.

Its slower paced obviously, taking your time through the areas as you are really gear dependant and dont want to do anything silly.

Goblins turn into a cock tease, as when you chase you inevitably pull so much crap with it.

But its a really good mode and option, suprised there isnt many rage videos of people raging over death.

Kungens first Barb 60 died while he was alt tabbed and he lold.
    His Monk 60 died after a net disconnect in Sweden and he was " meh"

Wish I had that amount of time to level :D

I watch Kungen's stream alot. He is so down to earth and interacts with his viewers alot. Has pretty much 5k-10k viewers most of the day, im kinda glad he is earning a living off it.

For me, hardcore or no core. I never played Hardcore in D2 but im loving it in this installment. Got a level 45 Monk soon to kill Azmodan in Nightmare. Softcore is a joke at the moment. You can zerg all the content, respawn and zerg again, and team up to face an Act boss and play res tag. its totally mindless. Plus the fact that the AH is flooded, good items come very cheap, and when you can buy all your items off the AH to fit out your char i really dont see the point in farming beyond that.

But in hardcore your working towards the goal of killing Diablo in Inferno, AH prices are very high and are not flooded with stuff. Each new item you get is your progression for an Act before you feel you are ready to kill the boss/farm elite packs. In Softcore you dont really need high level gear for anything other than bosses who have enrage timers, since you can just zerg everything. Im starting to sound like an elitest.

If you have got a softcore char to inferno and hit the level cap and feel the experience starting to bore you, hardcore is your next step.

I never played Diablo or Diablo 2 and I am really enjoying it. It's more accessible than you may think and you can play it with one hand on the mouse and another drinking a beer.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I watch Kungen's stream alot. He is so down to earth and interacts with his viewers alot. Has pretty much 5k-10k viewers most of the day, im kinda glad he is earning a living off it.

For me, hardcore or no core. I never played Hardcore in D2 but im loving it in this installment. Got a level 45 Monk soon to kill Azmodan in Nightmare. Softcore is a joke at the moment. You can zerg all the content, respawn and zerg again, and team up to face an Act boss and play res tag. its totally mindless. Plus the fact that the AH is flooded, good items come very cheap, and when you can buy all your items off the AH to fit out your char i really dont see the point in farming beyond that.

But in hardcore your working towards the goal of killing Diablo in Inferno, AH prices are very high and are not flooded with stuff. Each new item you get is your progression for an Act before you feel you are ready to kill the boss/farm elite packs. In Softcore you dont really need high level gear for anything other than bosses who have enrage timers, since you can just zerg everything. Im starting to sound like an elitest.

If you have got a softcore char to inferno and hit the level cap and feel the experience starting to bore you, hardcore is your next step.

So you've completed all 4 acts and killed Diablo on Inferno softcore I take it?

Big Knox wrote: »
    So you've completed all 4 acts and killed Diablo on Inferno softcore I take it?

Alot of people went straight into Hardcore tbf

There isnt a progression step

Complete Softcore inferno then onto hardcore. Alot of people go straight into Hardcore as they enjoy the challenge more.

I know alot of guys on my list are exclusively hardcore, but I dont think one is tougher then the other. The difficulties are the same.

Just the penalty is the ultimate one.

Alot of people went straight into Hardcore tbf

There isnt a progression step

Complete Softcore inferno then onto hardcore. Alot of people go straight into Hardcore as they enjoy the challenge more.

I know alot of guys on my list are exclusively hardcore, but I dont think one is tougher then the other. The difficulties are the same.

Just the penalty is the ultimate one.

Oh no I know the difficulty is the same, i'm asking because YSML goes on about how softcore is a joke and the only real challenge is hardcore but that's clearly not true. Inferno is overly hard so I don't really see his point.

I can understand the lure of Hardcore as there is a very serious penalty for dying and that brings a different level of tension and excitement but saying softcore is a joke is a bit ridiculous as I would hazard a guess that less than 2% of the playing population can complete it legitimately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

went through the game handily enough (slowed in act4 hell for a little bit - heralds of pestilance are pretty ghey I found), but geez, inferno is a brickwall.. money grind is on I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Finally?:D
    Auctions may now be canceled at any time.

An upcoming change. url=http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/uoyyg/a_few_new_and_upcoming_changes_from_todays_amaa/]source[/url

Oh no I know the difficulty is the same, i'm asking because YSML goes on about how softcore is a joke and the only real challenge is hardcore but that's clearly not true. Inferno is overly hard so I don't really see his point.

I can understand the lure of Hardcore as there is a very serious penalty for dying and that brings a different level of tension and excitement but saying softcore is a joke is a bit ridiculous as I would hazard a guess that less than 2% of the playing population can complete it legitimately.

A he said himself that he was starting to sound elitist

I dont buy into the **** of one is more serious then the other etc. Its a different challenge thats all.

I wouldnt buy anyone saying they were " better" simply because they played hardcore or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

A he said himself that he was starting to sound elitist

I dont buy into the **** of one is more serious then the other etc. Its a different challenge thats all.

I wouldnt buy anyone saying they were " better" simply because they played hardcore or anything like that.

*goes to create a hardcore character

*goes to create a hardcore character

Elitist no gooder!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

If you enjoy making alts and replaying the same content, albeit at a higher difficulty, and enjoy getting new gear then you should be able to get value for money. If not, then I'd wait a while for the price to fall.

I enjoyed D1 and D2 back in the day and enjoyed D3. I've clocked up 23 hours so far but for me personally, with limited time or interest in grinding for money and replaying the same content, I wish I'd waited for the price to come down.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Sarn wrote: »
    ......I enjoyed D1 and D2 back in the day and enjoyed D3. I've clocked up 23 hours so far but for me personally, with limited time or interest in grinding for money and replaying the same content, I wish I'd waited for the price to come down.
    As a time constrained gamer I appreciate that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Ah... this bit's interesting:
    • First time boss kills on difficulties higher then Normal will guarantee "first time loot".

So the reason you get **** loot after Normal is that bosses are treated as having already been beaten, even if it wasn't on that difficulty level. Seems like something easy they could fix right away though...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

Only reason I can't face hardcore is that my connection to my router cuts out from time to time due to how the apartment is setup. I couldn't handle losing a character because of that :(

just made a hardcore WD for ****s and giggles.

now is it me, or WD voice is just really damn wrong! i expected him to sound like half zombie and he sounds like a fecking gentleman! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

roll on 1.0.3 - Inferno Act II is just plain stupid - and I'm damned if I am going to run the butcher for hours on end just to get a bit more cash that might let me survive.

so I guess I'll leave D3 until they fix it - Act II inferno is plain broke - and frustratingly broke - just when you think it couldn't get worse you try public - and it does!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Yeah i suppose i did sound abit harsh. I only killed the Butcher on Inferno then my char got hacked, so i deleted him anyway because i wanted to switch to hardcore. May i should rephrase what i said. I think softcore isnt punishing enough, as does Blizzard apparently since in a recent site update they felt playing res tag on bosses wasnt how they intended the fights to go. So they decided to increase the gold needed for repairs at 60. Still not punishing enough imo when you can just take them down to half HP in one life then respawn and finish the job, hench the zerging. On the other hand fighting bosses solo is nice because the encounter starts over once you die, but then they need to add CD timers on being ressed. Not all the time, but only during boss fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Yeah i suppose i did sound abit harsh. I only killed the Butcher on Inferno then my char got hacked, so i deleted him anyway because i wanted to switch to hardcore. May i should rephrase what i said. I think softcore isnt punishing enough, as does Blizzard apparently since in a recent site update they felt playing res tag on bosses wasnt how they intended the fights to go. So they decided to increase the gold needed for repairs at 60. Still not punishing enough imo when you can just take them down to half HP in one life then respawn and finish the job, hench the zerging. On the other hand fighting bosses solo is nice because the encounter starts over once you die, but then they need to add CD timers on being ressed. Not all the time, but only during boss fights.

Your in for a shock when you hit act 2 then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well just hitting diablo on hell now with my Wiz and it aint plain sailing....took this long as I played through the game with the barb and loved it, beat diablo with a lvl 27 barb in the end so onto NM now.

Really weired going back trying to play the wiz on HELL after playing the barb....might need a hand beating diablo or maybe a skill set suggestion of the pros on here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Was playing as a barb for ages. Some unreal gear on him but I couldn't even start act 2 as I would get killed straight away. So I got a demon hunter to 60 and im motoring through act 2 inferno now. I still die a bit but at least I can progress and not just farm act 1 every time I play.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭irishmadboy

Diablo 3 or wait for Guild wars 2, that is the question.
    I'm more of an MMO person so I'll likely end up getting GW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Get both. Different games. I think guild wars will have more lastability though. Atleast until d3 expansions or dlc comes out. and that might take a while.

Good game....but not alot of meat in it. I think after 50 hours or so you start to get diablo fatigue tbh. I know I did. Doesn't happen as much in an mmo.

Kirby wrote: »
    Get both. Different games. I think guild wars will have more lastability though. Atleast until d3 expansions or dlc comes out. and that might take a while.

Good game....but not alot of meat in it. I think after 50 hours or so you start to get diablo fatigue tbh. I know I did. Doesn't happen as much in an mmo.

I really can't agree that a mmorpg will be more lasting them random slash and hack character building game.

It all depends from person. I personally could not even get to max level of swtor. It was just ... Not fun for me anymore. Mmorpg are just all boring at this stage. You played one, you played them all ( all last gen auto attac stuff, can't comment in tera ). Then again I have 85h on my DH, 10 hours on baba. The game is not even out for a month yet and I got full time job, misses and other stuff to do after work.
    What I am trying to say, that just because game is mmorpg it does not mean it will have longer appeal. You will see, content will be cleared in few weeks and everyone will be sitting max level in main cities bank waiting for content patch. Where's in Diablo it's a grind on its own withno end. There is always space for improvement of your character.
    Now just wait for pvp arena stuff to come out too. It will mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I think I'm playing this too much, had a dream last night that I got a legendary drop! Not seen one on three different characters (granted my highest level is 36)

• Advertisement

Ah to be honest I always like your posts and views on games, you always seem to be playing what I am ha. As I said I can fully understand the lure of hardcore and I will definitely be doing it myself in future but Inferno is mental at the moment. You can't zerg it, it's really not possible the champion and elite packs are insanely hard as you progress through each act and they enrage after a few deaths making it impossible to zerg them. It is a serious challenge!! The bosses you can still res on but the real challenge is the elite and champion packs.

Best of luck doing Inferno on hardcore it will honestly be insanely tough and risky, I don't even think Kungen attempted it past act1. Keep us updated on the progress!

Advertisement