Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diablo 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Magill wrote: »
    Act 2 is easy.

A lot of players don't agree, I don't agree, and Blizzard don't agree, I see a pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

A lot of players don't agree, I don't agree, and Blizzard don't agree, I see a pattern.

The difficulty in inferno aside, I didn't think much of the act in general.

Dunno why but until you get to the dahlgur oasis I thought it to be a bit boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

yeah, not a fan of it at all, in any difficulty. Inferno just takes the cake bigtime

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

The "problems" with Act II inferno are related to the gear you really need to clear it not being available until Act 3/4 - leaving players no choice but to buy gear on the AH from people who cleared through it earlier using the nerfed skills/exploited chests or played it in a way some of us can't be bothered doing.

That aside, the general speed of mobs, some very silly attributes on them, complete nerf of all the players abilities (all behind the scenes you need to have forensic skills and a lot of time to see if some skill still works on inferno. I mean if 5% life steal ISN'T 5% life steal then A) WTF call it 5% life steal and B) Why have it in the game?

It seems to make the later stages less about skill/tactics rather just gearing up your damage and defense until you can just play "DPS me vs them" or "DPS kiting". Forget about trying to use a combination of skills in a useful/fun/tactical way - that won't work - just have more DPS then them,

Whoever decided that if you can't kill a pack within a time limit then you need to reload the game as going anywhere near that pack results in skull over your head and death in 2 secs needs to be taken out of the blizzard building and shot in the car park (or at least never work in the game industry again).

/rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

hey guys, quick question... playing a barbarian, and I'm using 2 one-handers, should I try using a 2-hander? which would be better

• Advertisement

Links234 wrote: »
    hey guys, quick question... playing a barbarian, and I'm using 2 one-handers, should I try using a 2-hander? which would be better

It sort of depends how you want to play.

In the harder difficulties a 1hander and a shield might be worth it for more survivability.

I like 2-handers for purely aesthetic reasons. I just bought a rake of cheap lvl 57-60 ones off the AH, including a 2handed hammer with about 750 dps, 350 life steal on hit and 3% life steal on hit for about 2500 gold.

I think in pure dps terms two 1 handers are the best. You could also gear your passives and shouts to maximise damage and just kill everything before it has a chance to do much damage.
    You'll probably die more and have to run away from elites a bit but it'll be a lot of fun.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Gbear wrote: »
    It sort of depends how you want to play.

In the harder difficulties a 1hander and a shield might be worth it for more survivability.

I like 2-handers for purely aesthetic reasons. I just bought a rake of cheap lvl 57-60 ones off the AH, including a 2handed hammer with about 750 dps, 350 life steal on hit and 3% life steal on hit for about 2500 gold.

I think in pure dps terms two 1 handers are the best. You could also gear your passives and shouts to maximise damage and just kill everything before it has a chance to do much damage.
    You'll probably die more and have to run away from elites a bit but it'll be a lot of fun.:pac:

If I recall correctly, the "3% life steal" only actually applies to 20% of the damage you do. So only 0.6% of damage is converted to life. With 20k damage, that's about 120 life steal per hit.

One thing I've always disliked about Blizzard is that they don't always tell you exactly what your skills/stats really do. There is often hidden modifiers and they seem to think that it is fun for the players to 'figure them out'. I guess it keeps the math geeks happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Finished act 2 on inferno after 100 or so deaths with DM :rolleyes:
    Act 3 in so much worse, every crappy little spawning mob one shots you.
    Gotta agree act 1-2 is too big a gap, i even do act 1 in full MF gear and rarely ever die

If I recall correctly, the "3% life steal" only actually applies to 20% of the damage you do. So only 0.6% of damage is converted to life. With 20k damage, that's about 120 life steal per hit.

One thing I've always disliked about Blizzard is that they don't always tell you exactly what your skills/stats really do. There is often hidden modifiers and they seem to think that it is fun for the players to 'figure them out'. I guess it keeps the math geeks happy.

Ah what? So it's a totally useless stat then?

Isn't the ceiling for the stat 3% anyway? So it's not possible for it to be of any use. If you did enought damage to get a non-trivial amount of life steal then you'd probably have so much life it'd still be relatively trivial. With that weapon I'll be doing about 10k damage so it'll be 60 + the flat 350 odd.

I discovered something interesting and it makes it far easier to choose skills.
    There's an option in the gameplay settings called something like "advanced tooltips". It puts more concrete numbers on the differences between skills. Now I know that cleave doesn't do more damage, it does 120% of your base damage and one of the runes brings it up to 156%.

I was having to go on hunches before but now that there's more concrete numbers it's far easier to know what I need and when.

Just killed the butcher on hell and I said I'd go for all out attack.

Extra criticals, damage, extra damage with rage at maximum, frenzy, etc.

Died in 2 seconds.:pac:

Tried again more conservatively and whittled him down in a few minutes.
    Slow and steady seems to be the idea with melee classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Isn't the ceiling for the stat 3% anyway? So it's not possible for it to be of any use. If you did enought damage to get a non-trivial amount of life steal then you'd probably have so much life it'd still be relatively trivial. With that weapon I'll be doing about 10k damage so it'll be 60 + the flat 350 odd.

There's an option in the gameplay settings called something like "advanced tooltips". It puts more concrete numbers on the differences between skills. Now I know that cleave doesn't do more damage, it does 120% of your base damage and one of the runes brings it up to 156%.

I was having to go on hunches before but now that there's more concrete numbers it's far easier to know what I need and when.

When you press ctrl you get proper values and numbers. I know blizzard is trying to make as simple as possible for newcomers, but some things are just a piss takers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Life Steal "%damage to life" is broken at the moment and not working as intended.

However for melee even when fixed it realistically will never be that viable a build compared to life on hit. If you stack IaS and get our attacks to 3/s with 2000 life on hit you are gaining 6000 hp/s on a single target. With the right mitigation that is more than enough to sustain any amount of incoming damage, that includes the hardest packs on Act4.

%damage to Life when fixed would be more beneficial to DH's and Wizards who Kite constantly but for melee Life on Hit will always be king!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Big Knox wrote: »
    If you stack IaS and get our attacks to 3/s with 2000 life on hit you are gaining 6000 hp/s on a single target. With the right mitigation that is more than enough to sustain any amount of incoming damage, that includes the hardest packs on Act4.

Tbh I can see this getting a nerf. I don't think they intended people to be able to stand there and nuke without having to move about, even melee classes. It's the reason they nerfed wizard diamon skin.

I would guess they will cap the amount of health returned off of one hit to something like 1 or 2% of max HP or some low figure like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Kirby wrote: »
    Tbh I can see this getting a nerf. I don't think they intended people to be able to stand there and nuke without having to move about, even melee classes. It's the reason they nerfed wizard diamon skin.

I would guess they will cap the amount of health returned off of one hit to something like 1 or 2% of max HP or some low figure like that.

Well to be fair, it really only is viable to do that if you have 3 attacks/s and 2000+ life on hit along with massive resists and armour in the region of 1000 all and 8k+.

At the moment that would easily cost you in the region of 100 million+ if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Wizard regen builds were keeping people alive forever so it got nerfed. They nerfed the wizard skills but left regen alone. Then wizard crit builds were keeping people alive forever so more skills got nerfed but they lift crit alone. etc. etc. They seem to just change the skills around instead of dealing with the actual problem itself with is the stat. They have done similar nerfs with all the classes.

Life on hit and all Life regen stats are designed so that you can go longer in the fight without running or healing. They aren't designed to give you infinite health.

If they are keeping a character alive indefinitely, they aren't working as intended. Even with the best gear, people shouldn't be able to roflstomp it. They expect people to die. Aslong as people are facetanking stuff , they will keep nerfing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭civilnug

Had mobile authenticator on my account and it wouldn't allow me to login (kept getting Error 315300). Had to e-mail tech support to remove authenticator from my account, including providing then with a copy of my drivers license. They reset my password and when I logged back in by game was wiped.

I haven't put in the same time as others on here. I was still plugging my way through my first run getting in a few hours when I can, but was on Act III with my DH and it's all gone now.

Was enjoying the DH but think I'm gonna start over with a different class this evening. Thinking of going with the Monk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Can you request they roll it back to a previous state? Not sure how it works :confused:

Yeah I have a support ticket in about it so hopefully it'll get sorted out. Think there is usually about a two day turn around on then. So going to try out some of the other classes because I want to keep playing when I get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

How much DPS do you need per level?

At 500dps normal was a cake walk

1k dps now and nightmare is providing a challenge, but still only in act 2.
    I'm thinking I'll need to be closer to 2k to keep up in act 4.

BizzyC wrote: »
    How much DPS do you need per level?

At 500dps normal was a cake walk

1k dps now and nightmare is providing a challenge, but still only in act 2.
    I'm thinking I'll need to be closer to 2k to keep up in act 4.

I found it was tough with around that amount in act 4 but then I unlocked a new weapon and went up to 4k and it was almost too easy.

So 3k. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Kirby wrote: »

They've already said they're nerfing it. Although its not just monks as they've said they're nerfing increased attack speed.. which is a bit of a kick in the balls for me :D But oh well.

• Advertisement

civilnug wrote: »
    Had mobile authenticator on my account and it wouldn't allow me to login (kept getting Error 315300). Had to e-mail tech support to remove authenticator from my account, including providing then with a copy of my drivers license. They reset my password and when I logged back in by game was wiped.

I haven't put in the same time as others on here. I was still plugging my way through my first run getting in a few hours when I can, but was on Act III with my DH and it's all gone now.

Was enjoying the DH but think I'm gonna start over with a different class this evening. Thinking of going with the Monk.

Check account options to ensure you are logging into the correct regional servers. If it somehow changed, then you won't see your characters. E.G. Chars created on EU server are only visible if logged into EU region servers.

Cheers, I'll check that out this evening after work.

Magill wrote: »
    They've already said they're nerfing it. Although its not just monks as they've said they're nerfing increased attack speed.. which is a bit of a kick in the balls for me :D But oh well.

Did they say how they were going to nerf attack speed?

In a game where attacks do damage that kills monsters I don't see the sense in nerfing attack speed really. There seems to be an aversion to making some stats "more important" than others but attacking as quickly as possible is always going to be important.

I presume they'll just lower the cap on attack speed (25% at the moment I think) or change the way it stacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

I would imagine its blizz's hope to bring both:

high attack speed (2x 1h) + on hit effects (life on hit)
    &
    high damage (2h) + % damage effects (vamp)

into some sort of alignment, so that 2hr's get a bit more use perhaps..?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Heres what they said about it.
    We’re fixing a number of bugs with Attack Speed, mainly related to the stat not working on some items, but we’ve also decided we need to reduce the effectiveness of Increased Attack Speed overall. Many players have commented that Increased Attack Speed is such a dominant stat they feel it’s required. While we don’t have an issue with there being important stats, Increased Attack Speed in particular has secondary effects on mobility in combat, resource generation and resource consumption. We want there to be options and considerations for how you gear up, and one uber trump-everything stat can really work against choice and options. There are two different solutions we’re considering to reduce the effectiveness of Increased Attack Speed. The first is to simply reduce the value on all the items to their desired values. In general our desire is to never change items as that makes them feel less concrete, but the upside is you would still be able to look at an item and know exactly what you are getting. The other approach is to change the formula used for attack speed aggregation so that stacking attack speed from multiple slots suffers from diminishing returns. The downside of that approach is that it introduces yet another hidden modifier on an item property (and many people dislike hidden modifiers), and complicates the already difficult decision of item gearing. We’re currently leaning toward the first solution, to simply reduce the value on items, but we’d be interested to read people’s thoughts on the problem.

P.S. Pretty bored of the game atm, had hoped it would keep me entertained much longer than it has tbh (Although i've still gotten a crazy amount of hours out of the game).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

I've given up on the game for now.

I will get back into once it has balanced out a bit, As right now there is too many game changing updates coming that I can't justify spending time playing when my effort could be diluted by an update.

WTB new LMB finger!

I've had to give the game a break purely because my finger was starting to constantly ache. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's still the only game I play. I play a wee bit of bf3 now though and I will include a lot more bf3 from tomorrow :D.

All day today me and my friend were farming inferno butcher. He finally geared up a bit do he can survive :D.
    His damage is like only 6k, but I do all of the damage as glass cannon and he takes all the blows for me. Works awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DracusWlf

Hi Guys,
    I was wondering and i'm probably way too late. I don't suppose anyone has a guest pass?? would love to have a go of it as i cant get my hands on a copy. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

think its going open to everyone in a few days, i could be wrong but i thought you only need a guest pass for the first month

Advertisement