Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

national geographic magizine

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 coolbananas

Hi guys,

I signed up for this subscription, the same as yourselves (thought it was a really good bargain). After processing my details I received an order confirmation, shipping confirmation etc, everything seemed okay..

A few days later I got a letter from AIB saying that my credit card was being suspended because of suspicious activity, when i looked at my account I noticed that about 90 cent had been charged to my card under the name of NGS, I confirmed with the bank that yes this was probably from the National Geographic Store, as I hadn't ordered anything else using my card at that time. My card was reactivated.

About 2 weeks later I noticed that €600 had been charged to the credit card as payment of something on PayPal (this was not me, I have no a/c with PayPal), I called the bank, they said that somebody had also tried to pay for a toll using the card (i live nowhere near a tolled road). Needless to say, card was cancelled, a new one issued and is now being investigated for fraud.

For those of you that have subscribed I'd have a look at your credit card statements over the past month or so just to make sure the same thing hasn't happened to you.

So all in all, no geographic magazine for me - once bitten twice shy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Hi guys,

I signed up for this subscription, the same as yourselves (thought it was a really good bargain). After processing my details I received an order confirmation, shipping confirmation etc, everything seemed okay..

A few days later I got a letter from AIB saying that my credit card was being suspended because of suspicious activity, when i looked at my account I noticed that about 90 cent had been charged to my card under the name of NGS, I confirmed with the bank that yes this was probably from the National Geographic Store, as I hadn't ordered anything else using my card at that time. My card was reactivated.

About 2 weeks later I noticed that €600 had been charged to the credit card as payment of something on PayPal (this was not me, I have no a/c with PayPal), I called the bank, they said that somebody had also tried to pay for a toll using the card (i live nowhere near a tolled road). Needless to say, card was cancelled, a new one issued and is now being investigated for fraud.

For those of you that have subscribed I'd have a look at your credit card statements over the past month or so just to make sure the same thing hasn't happened to you.

Had a look after reading this - nothing was charged from my card to national geographic, not even around the date of their shipping email.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm the same. Ordered on the 5th but nothing about it on my card. Got my shipment confirmation on the 7th.

Free mags? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

I ordered it for my brother nad sister-in-law as a Christmas present.
    They are beginning to question the " I know,but honestly it'll come" line.
    If anyone does receive it, let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

same here - shipped on 5th Dec. No sign of it arriving...will check my bank account and see if there is anything sus there..

EDIT: Nothing suspicious on my acc - but no deduction by NGM either??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Received shipping conf on 9/12 as of yet nothing received and no money taken off my CC :confused::confused:

Have we been scammed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Received confirmation and shipping email. If you look it says for international deliveries it takes 6-8 weeks so I'm guessing end of this month, start of next. I've also checked my card and i don't think I've been charged yet. Has anyone been charged yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

The cost of this offer is now $37.
    LINK

This BA gives $25 free voucher for Zinio, which offers National Geographic as one of its titles, so get electronic version for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

anyone get theirs delivered yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

No didn't get mine and I suppose as they didn't charge me for it I wont be!

Did anyone ring them up and find out what happened?

• Advertisement

Didn't get it, anyone got contact details and I'll contact them tomorrow and suss them out?

sent an email to their customer service folk. see what comes back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Maybe a known one but
    12 monthly subscription for $22 = 16.4 euros'. This is from teh nationalgeographic.com site .....on the .co.uk one its 44 euro but you do get a free fleece ...
    The fleece is absolute rubbish, made of the thinnest material, my ma got one before, stretches and falls apart in the wash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

The original order confirmation email said 8 - 12 weeks for delivery.

You can log on and check your order status on the website, click the link (or google national geographic) click shop, order tracking and enter the order number from the order confirmation email you should have received. Enter *** for billing zip code and your surname.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Polar101

I've subscribed to the magazine before (on the website), I seem to remember it took about 3 months before the first magazine arrived and anything was charged on my card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

mine says shipped.............

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

Hi guys,

just before christmas my aib visa got charged $1500 in florida, i was it galway at the time, i bought a few bits from android market, i think aib/visa got hacked, card got cancelled for the christmas,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Avoid this at all costs. Once your subscription finishes they will HOUND you for years afterwards to re-subscribe. I was getting letters in the post almost monthly, and I still get emails today. It has been nearly 10 years!

This is from an e-mail I received from them when I purchased the subscription on December 9th -

"If you've purchased a magazine for delivery to the U.S. and Canada, please allow 4 to 6 weeks for your first issue to arrive. Elsewhere, allow 8 to 12 weeks."

At the moment it's only 7.5 weeks so I ain't panicking yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭crushproof

py2006 wrote: »
    Avoid this at all costs. Once your subscription finishes they will HOUND you for years afterwards to re-subscribe. I was getting letters in the post almost monthly, and I still get emails today. It has been nearly 10 years!

Meh, it's their loss sending out mail that will just go into the green bin. And emails can always be filtered! :rolleyes:
    I bought the sub as a gift for a friend....they're getting quite impatient now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I was looking on TescoDeals and notice you can have a year subscription to this magazone for €9.50 worth of Tesco vouchers. That is not too bad is it?
    About this Deal

When you subscribe you will receive as many as four superb wall maps in selected issues that bring some of our most compelling stories to life. As a subscriber you will become a member of the National Geographic Society and will have the satisfaction of knowing that a portion of your fee will help National Geographic’s ongoing worldwide scientific research, exploration and educational projects. You will also receive a personalised Membership certificate and a brief history of National Geographic.

By subscribing to National Geographic Magazine you become part of a special group of people all over the globe whose enthusiasm and curiosity about their world are enriched by belonging to the National Geographic Society. Membership is an open invitation to investigate the world... to see the infinite variety, colour and richness of the universe.

National Geographic is now offering a free world map with their magazine.

Exchange your Clubcard Vouchers to buy this Deal in full.

Terms and Conditions

Subscription is for 12 months (issue terms may vary) from issue date. Tokens are not valid for purchase of individual magazines and are for 12 months’ subscription only. The subscription may not include promotional items packaged with the magazine. Offer valid for Republic of Ireland subscriptions only.
    All standard Clubcard Deals scheme terms and conditions apply. These can be found on the website.

Ok, ok, I just noticed two other posters pointed this out too...

Apologies. Only trying to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I was looking on TescoDeals and notice you can have a year subscription to this magazone for €9.50 worth of Tesco vouchers. That is not too bad is it?

Ok, ok, I just noticed two other posters pointed this out too...

Apologies. Only trying to help.

A good tip for this is to renew with loads of time to spare, as people can see it takes ages to get your first Issue! So I renew via the tesco deals with about 4 months to spare... you state your subscription number when you renew, so you don't need to worry about getting the same issue twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

py2006 wrote: »

I have to hound them every year in order to renew my subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

National Geographic Traveller is now also available with Tesco Clubcard Deals. It's €11 in Clubcard vouchers for 7 issues, so €1.57 per issue delivered. The recommended cover price is £3.85

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

says $37 for me in that link in the first page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

jayteecork wrote: »
    says $37 for me in that link in the first page.

Yeah tis gone up now Jaytee, the $22 price is gone. :(
    The best price now is with Tesco at €9.50 in clubcard vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Anyone heard of getting theirs from the original deal?

Africa wrote: »
    Anyone heard of getting theirs from the original deal?

This is from an e-mail I received from them when I purchased the subscription on December 9th -

"If you've purchased a magazine for delivery to the U.S. and Canada, please allow 4 to 6 weeks for your first issue to arrive. Elsewhere, allow 8 to 12 weeks."

At the moment it's only 8 weeks so I ain't panicking yet.

emailed their customer service (subscribtion section), just to see what would come back. I said I'd received a order confirmation, followed by a shipping confirmation on 12th dec, which I had, and asked if its normal to take this long to make as far as here.
    They sent this back :

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thank you for contacting the National Geographic Society.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Unfortunately, we will be unable to assist you with your request. We have forwarded your E-mail to our office in Amsterdam who will investigate your situation as quickly as possible. If a further reply is necessary, we will contact you shortly.

The address, phone, and FAX numbers for our office in Amsterdam (the office that will handle your membership) are as follows:

National Geographic Society
    P. O. Box 20507
    1001 NM Amsterdam
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Tel: 31.20.4874115
    Fax: 31.20.4874119
    Email: ngsintl@customersvc.com

Thank you for your patience! We appreciate the opportunity to be of service.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sincerely,[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]National Geographic Customer Service[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]www.ngmservice.com[/FONT]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Waiting on this too - shipped in December apparently, the gift recipient is getting antsy :p

Advertisement