Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panel

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭annlewis

3fullback wrote: »
    The written test is corrected by computer the sheet is scanned in !

I know that, but what im saying is...if there were less people doing these it would be easier and quicker. To loose a few at the online test stage to make numbers smaller for the pencil/paper test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Don't see an online test being done. Think the campaign will stay the same. There was no decision to change it in any plan, like there was with the training course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I reckon there will be online aptitude tests. The cost of holding test centres for 20-30,000 people would be astronomical

Do an online one and then do another one, it will reduce the number alright but it will be a pain to have to do two.

Another reason why I think it won't happen is because it would make too much sense. We all know they don't really do the logical cost saving routes for sum reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Tommy_utd16

thekopend wrote: »
    Another reason why I think it won't happen is because it would make too much sense. We all know they don't really do the logical cost saving routes for sum reason.

Online test is defo going to be the first stage. I would put my house on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Sure ill just get my genius friend to do it for me ? How will they top this happening with online test ??

I would presume if there going to want to reduce applicants, it'll be done by adding in requirements !

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Tommy_utd16

3fullback wrote: »
    Sure ill just get my genius friend to do it for me ? How will they top this happening with online test ??

I would presume if there going to want to reduce applicants, it'll be done by adding in requirements !

You do the online test, obviously have to pass a minimum standard and are placed on a panel in order of results. At stage 2 you will have to resit stage one along with other tests possibly interviews or report writing. If your results vary significantly you will not progress. It's already been done recently in other emergency services recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kdarragh

You do the online test, obviously have to pass a minimum standard and are placed on a panel in order of results. At stage 2 you will have to resit stage one along with other tests possibly interviews or report writing. If your results vary significantly you will not progress. It's already been done recently in other emergency services recruitment.[/QUOTE

Yea you're right there pal, A friend of mine did his Fire service Online test there a couple of months back.

Anyone apply for the PSNI???

• Registered Users Posts: 7 arosair

I was one of the panel, received my friendly letter too.
    Can I ask of all the people who were on the panel and who havent changed there minds, have you looked into the changes in contracts pay and allowances for new recruits?
    Before any smart ass chimes in bout only wanting the guards for the job for life brigade, This is no different to any job, the conditions pay and contract has to be worth the job your doing.
    Cant seem to find anything official, But from whats been doing the rounds on the grapevine, 5yr contracts are on offer. the entry level pay is seriously reduced. and frighteningly the allowences which the GRA argued have long been considered part of the general salary at this stage could all be removed for new members??
    Now, loving the job and wanting it badly or not, this potentially leaves me 32, starting a new career at the bottom of the ladder, risking life and limb daily for a salary less then joe who works the till in tesco!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Yep I've heard the wages are going to be even ****ter than they already were. People shouldn't just accept it though, why should you risk your life for minimum wage? Wages in the uk, Northern Ire, USA are crazy compared to here. It's morally wrong to pay a police officer money they would struggle to live on.
    I was on the panel too. Looking forward to seeing the new salary scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Base wage always appears small. What will make up for it is the annual increments, inflation, overtime incurred, subsistence, travel expenses etc. Net annual pay is always significantly more.

Don't worry about 5 year contracts. You will have to do something seriously wrong for them not to renew after 5 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Base wage always appears small. What will make up for it is the annual increments, inflation, overtime incurred, subsistence, travel expenses etc. Net annual pay is always significantly more.

Don't worry about 5 year contracts. You will have to do something seriously wrong for them not to renew after 5 years.

All of the above have been cut back or abolished. On big matches at Croke Park you see Reserves brought in to do the work Gardaí used do on overtime. The plan is working well

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    All of the above have been cut back or abolished. On big matches at Croke Park you see Reserves brought in to do the work Gardaí used do on overtime. The plan is working well

i can almost gaurentee you that the reserve quota on the day could be prob counted on one hand (no more than two hands!) and they would all be reserves from the home district/division

I always see the same faces doing the same duties

Reserves supplement, they do not replace

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Scouser wrote: »
    i can almost gaurentee you that the reserve quota on the day could be prob counted on one hand (no more than two hands!) and they would all be reserves from the home district/division

I always see the same faces doing the same duties

Reserves supplement, they do not replace
    From my experience the above is totally correct. It's question of numbers on the day. reserves are called upon when there are not enough regulars available it is not a matter of money or budgets

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Raider190 wrote: »
    From my experience the above is totally correct. It's question of numbers on the day. reserves are called upon when there are not enough regulars available it is not a matter of money or budgets

there will always be enough regulars

the policing plan for certain events demands a certain amount of gardai in order to go ahead

you can be assured that this number is made up of Garda rank

lets say Croke Park needs 150gardai- so they get 120 Gards and 30 Reserves to 'save' money

saturday night before the match, 20 reserves pull out for various reasons (work, family, injury, sports etc)

well then the whole policing operation is in jeopardy

Garda management couldnt run that risk. thats why there will always be the proper contingent of fulltime mules, supplemented by reserves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

So with the results all out from stage 1 and the different bands, who from the panel has reached stage 2 and what bands are you in?
    I kno it's a long journey yet but Congrats to all esp considering how ye got treated these past 6 months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 RonBurgundy73

Panel member '08.

Made band 1 too.

What I don't understand is why scrap a 5 year old panel if their intentions are to create a panel for use for the next three years? What's the difference? Obviously there were issues with the old panel, but most would've been solved easily enough.

Anyway glad to be through stage 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Im a former panel member...
    I passed and am in bamd 1 also :)
    Delighted with that :)

Well done guys !!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dylmeister

Passed and I'm in band 1, this time 5 years ago we would be looking forward to an interview stage... Oh well!! Long long road this time! Well done guys

• Advertisement
Advertisement