Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 houseystuff

Got the letter this week too. Typical disgraceful handling of the situation.

Thankfully I have moved on with my life. But to those who have planned the last 5 years of their lives to get to this moment, and now to be told no - my heart goes out to you. I had waited for 3 years, putting my life on hold, until i lost my patience with the whole shambles.

Would love to know who the chosen few are that has caused the maximum number to be reached. I really suspect that maximum number was zero to begin with. A simple call to see if interest was still there, and offer a chance to re-sit medical/physical would have made a world of difference to all those waiting on the panel. It would have been a simple courtesy to all our interest, effort and waiting. Not to mention the government money wasted then, and now.

Thanks for your continued incompetence Shatter...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kaffy

Apparently I got my letter too!
    It was posted home and they didn't tell me until I asked :)
    I'm living in Dubai now and seriously considering comin home when they start recruitment.
    Is everyone else still set on applying or have we lost many since 2008?
    I still can't believe it was September 2008 that I passed my interview - crazy!
    Hope everyone is doing well and see you all in Templemore next year (optimistic I know. :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 axle foley

Has anyone else not received a letter? I didn't receive anything through the post.......I don't know which is worse, being told to go to the back of the line after 5 years of hoping or not being notified at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dylmeister

How do they mean that a sufficient number had been taken from the panel when there hasant been an intake since we last applied. They must mean reserves who were on the panel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

dylmeister wrote: »
    How do they mean that a sufficient number had been taken from the panel when there hasant been an intake since we last applied. They must mean reserves who were on the panel?

They dont mean that at all

They mean 'weve scrapped the panel and no more will be going in from the previous campaign, we have enough of them'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 axle foley

Im surprised alot more people from the panel aren't piping up about this....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

A lot of people on the panel had moved on, and a lot were probably expecting it seen as it was 5 years ago. There is no point piping up because ye can't really do anything, they sent there confirmation and that is it. All that can be done for some is to go for it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

There has always been a panel of people. They used to recruit every 4 months. When we applied in 2008 we were added to a panel that already existed. They took a few on in 2008 then stopped recruiting. So whoever was left on that panel, including me have been scrapped

Devil08 wrote: »
    There has always been a panel of people. They used to recruit every 4 months. When we applied in 2008 we were added to a panel that already existed. They took a few on in 2008 then stopped recruiting. So whoever was left on that panel, including me have been scrapped

Then why keep starting new campaigns every 4 months if they had existing panels already with people waiting to go in?? There just a gang of crooks everyone one of them, people on here saying get over it and move on, for those of us who really want the job it's a lot harder to do that than just move on but we have to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Then why keep starting new campaigns every 4 months if they had existing panels already with people waiting to go in?? There just a gang of crooks everyone one of them, people on here saying get over it and move on, for those of us who really want the job it's a lot harder to do that than just move on but we have to

"A gang of crooks" That's a nice way to speak about your future employers. Bring that attitude in to the interview room and see where you'll get.
    There has been economic meltdown for the last five years and all the public service has been hit. The cushioned days are over. Get real and move on

• Advertisement

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    "A gang of crooks" That's a nice way to speak about your future employers. Bring that attitude in to the interview room and see where you'll get.
    There has been economic meltdown for the last five years and all the public service has been hit. The cushioned days are over. Get real and move on
    I have moved on in my fourth year of college getting my honours degree, maybe il say that in the interview and see where it gets me! Economic meltdown or not it took us good enough to pass every stage at the time a lot of work travelling and effort so I've every right to feel aggrieved and angry! Even if I do get in this time around it still dosent make up for the way we were treated!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭annlewis

It doesn't make up for the way we were treated but look... we all were treated the same. We need to get focused for the up coming campaign. Help each other out as best we can with queries and things. The Panel is gone. So lets just pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and plough on.

I think this thread needs closed now, there is no panel remaining anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

So how are people preparing for the upcoming campaign??

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

mycro89 wrote: »

apart from doing a prep course, im trying to get fit, running running, cycling, swimming and gym. would recommend anyone who runs to do the test in elverys. makes a huge difference having a decent pair of the right shoes for your feet. did it a few weeks ago, so much more comfortable. :D

Pretty much the same...running, keeping the weight off and some upper body strength. The push pull isnt as easy for us ladies ;) so plenty of push ups. Taking no chances !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

The best preparation you can do is to run after every politician you think may have a hand or even a finger in.

The Gardai are all about politics, recruitment, promotion and perks such as detective branch and overseas duty.
    I remember one garda talking about a Superintendent who climed up the ranks at an exceptional rate. He said wait until there is a change in government and see what happens.
    Well, there was not a change of government but a politician from his home area fell out of favour with his party and the whizz kid Super never went any further.
    His sponsor was gone.
    Best of luck with your application but do not have very high expectations; that way it wont hurt so much

annlewis wrote: »
    Pretty much the same...running, keeping the weight off and some upper body strength. The push pull isnt as easy for us ladies ;) so plenty of push ups. Taking no chances !

Push pull machine, ha If we get that far were home and dry.

thekopend wrote: »
    Push pull machine, ha If we get that far were home and dry.

Gotta be optimistic thekopend :) don't wanna fall at the last hurdle

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kdarragh

Do you's reckon if the criteria is as we have guessed that many people will be eligible to apply?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Cd_doe

kdarragh wrote: »
    Do you's reckon if the criteria is as we have guessed that many people will be eligible to apply?

If the criteria is as it always has been I can see 50000 applying.

If I was to take a guess, I'd imagine they will surly bring in some new requirement to cut the number a small bit. A requirement of a full licence is a good practical one in my opinion.

There will be a mad rush if they bring in a requirement ha ha

To cut numbers they might have an online test first and then if you pass that you progress onto the normal pencil and paper test. Surely a good amount of people would be lost that way.
    They couldn't have masses of people tested the way it was done before would they ? Would take ages n ages for the tests to be corrected and all.
    A few jobs have already done the on line test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

mycro89 wrote: »

I am having a sex change as females have more chance of getting in.

Haha good one ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Cd_doe

Canyon86 wrote: »

That was on 26th September. No it hasn't started. It just means people have registered interest with pas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Cd_doe wrote: »
    That was on 26th September. No it hasn't started. It just means people have registered interest with pas.

cheers!

thought so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

annlewis wrote: »
    To cut numbers they might have an online test first and then if you pass that you progress onto the normal pencil and paper test. Surely a good amount of people would be lost that way.
    They couldn't have masses of people tested the way it was done before would they ? Would take ages n ages for the tests to be corrected and all.
    A few jobs have already done the on line test

The written test is corrected by computer the sheet is scanned in !

Advertisement