Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

kev-bt wrote: »
    How did the secetary contact you? No mention of us getting any recognition so we will be put front of que in this recruitment drive?

Nobody will be put infront of the que is going to be open

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dylmeister

How did the secetary contact you? No mention of us getting any recognition so we will be put front of que in this recruitment drive?

Contacted me through e-mail, Christopher Quattrociocchi is his name and said we are able to apply again once we meet the egibility requirements, how do!! He said a new training structure will be in place in the college and that's why we are not going to be used which makes zero sense as regardless of the training we would have done it no matter what was involved. He made no mention of us getting recognition for next drive, he wouldn't be able to anyway, but it's just so frustrating and unfair and we have to start at fair game once again from the start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

Nobody will be put infront of the que is going to be open

Yeah exactly. If you were good enough before then you'll be good enough again.

Hard luck on the news, but surely you must of been expecting it. Now you have five years more experience and put that together with what got you on the panel the last time.

You still have a good chance. Hopefully there will be recruitment more often this time. Don't give up

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

Yeah exactly. If you were good enough before then you'll be good enough again.

Hard luck on the news, but surely you must of been expecting it. Now you have five years more experience and put that together with what got you on the panel the last time.

You still have a good chance. Hopefully there will be recruitment more often this time. Don't give up

Think ye are missing point I was trying to ask bout being in front of que. I wasn't saying that we should go straight in, I was just wondering that IF we passed aptitudes and interviews again would there be a preference to take us first since we have already been waiting 5 years. Obviously we could fail at either stage but I think we should get recognition if we get through them stages as the recruitment embargo was not our fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Iv a feeling they might be bringing in the new requirements In line with the new training programme and that's why the panel aren't suited because they never had to meet these requirements, that's the only reason I can come up with to justify there excuse of the new programme preventing intake from panel, just my two cents!

• Advertisement

Think ye are missing point I was trying to ask bout being in front of que. I wasn't saying that we should go straight in, I was just wondering that IF we passed aptitudes and interviews again would there be a preference to take us first since we have already been waiting 5 years. Obviously we could fail at either stage but I think we should get recognition if we get through them stages as the recruitment embargo was not our fault.

They probably would have said it so I'd say they won't give any preference

thekopend wrote: »
    They probably would have said it so I'd say they won't give any preference

It's an open public competition. Everybody should be treated equally

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

On the bright side, the fact they are sending out the emails now could mean recruitment is very close. Hard luck to anyone on the panel, horrible news but just give the next drive your best shot... best of luck to everyone.

Hopefully there will be recruitment more often this time. Don't give up
    If they do decide to recruit more often, how long would you say they'll wait to recruit again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Chem Lord wrote: »
    If they do decide to recruit more often, how long would you say they'll wait to recruit again?

That's been on my mind aswell :D I reckon another recruitment freeze will begin after the next one.

• Advertisement

carzony wrote: »
    That's been on my mind aswell :D I reckon another recruitment freeze will begin after the next one.
    I really hope this isn't the case. I know politicians are renowned for telling lies but Shatter did say....
    this is "very important for an organisation like An Garda Síochána, given the demanding nature of policing, to receive a reasonably regular intake of new recruits"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I really hope this isn't the case. I know politicians are renowned for telling lies but Shatter did say....
    this is "very important for an organisation like An Garda Síochána, given the demanding nature of policing, to receive a reasonably regular intake of new recruits".

If another long-term freeze happens then I think it might be time to look for another career ;) **** that, If they freeze recruitment again then it'd be years before any of us got another chance to even apply let alone join the force. :mad:

Hopefully, the economy starts to improve in the next few months/years.

I don't think there will be another freeze after, the only reason there was one was to reduce the force from 14,600 to 13,000 and that has been accomplished, the objective now is to keep replacing the retired and maintain the number as it is. I think there will be small intakes every year or two to do this, but no moratorium.

this is "very important for an organisation like An Garda Síochána, given the demanding nature of policing, to receive a reasonably regular intake of new recruits"

Lads, if I have learned anything in the last five years it is don't believe a word that comes from a politicians mouth. Heard it all before from Dermot Ahern and now Shatter! Don't mean to be a pr*ck but don't rely on a quote from any politican, you will drive yourself crazy if you go down that road!

I don't think there will be another freeze after, the only reason there was one was to reduce the force from 14,600 to 13,000 and that has been accomplished, the objective now is to keep replacing the retired and maintain the number as it is. I think there will be small intakes every year or two to do this, but no moratorium.

I don't think they'll be a freeze either. There's no point opening up temple more to close it again.

There was a recruitment freeze for the defense forces too. They started recruiting again last year and 600 were given jobs.

So hopefully a couple of hundred people will be taken on for the Gardai when it starts again, and more recruitment then once there finished there training. At least that was there's always a batch if new recruits, and the college stays open

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭annlewis

dylmeister wrote: »
    Well finally got the news we were all dreading just a minute ago via shatters private secretary stating we as in us in the panel will not be used now or in future intakes, we all knew this already probably but there was no sincerity in the e-mail, no sorry, nothing!! I am biting my tongue to send a very angry e-mail back, but that will do absolutely nothing for any of us! We have been treated like outcasts the last 5 years and this is how they repay our patience, I can't wait for the election next year and them to call to my door! This has made me even more determined to go through the whole process again and accomplish my goal in becoming a member, good luck guys from the start again.

Folks.. has anyone else had any correspondence from the Secretary? I've not received any email

Perhaps it was only sent to the person that emailed looking for an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Checked my email..nothing there..but on the bright side, I did get an email from a long lost African friend from Nigeria who has millions of pounds waiting for me in a bank account!! Just need to forward on my bank details to him!!
    Who needs AGS!!! I'm rich!!!

Devil08 wrote: »
    Checked my email..nothing there..but on the bright side, I did get an email from a long lost African friend from Nigeria who has millions of pounds waiting for me in a bank account!! Just need to forward on my bank details to him!!
    Who needs AGS!!! I'm rich!!!

Even better :) I'll be his friend too ;)

annlewis wrote: »
    Even better :) I'll be his friend too ;)

Yea I e-mailed around two or three weeks ago looking for clarification and got the response yesterday. Here it is 😪😪😪

Aver Togher,
    avertogher@hotmail.com

Minister's Reference: 0717102514

Dear Aver Togher,

I am directed by the Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence, Mr. Alan
    Shatter, T.D., to refer to your email dated 16 July 2013.

Recruitment to An Garda Síochána is governed by the Garda Síochána
    (Admissions & Appointments) Regulations, 1988 as amended.

As you are aware, the Minister recently announced that he has received
    sanction from his cabinet colleague Brendan Howlin T.D., Minister for
    Public Expenditure and Reform, to hold a recruitment competition for An
    Garda Síochána.

Following a review of the training for recruit Gardaí, a revised training
    programme has been introduced in the Garda College. In light of this and in
    view of the fact that the existing Garda recruitment panel is now
    approximately five years old, this panel will not be used in this or any
    future recruitment. People on the panel may, of course, re-apply to join
    the Garda Síochána once they meet the eligibility criteria.

I trust this clarifies the position for you.

Yours sincerely,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Iv a feeling they might be bringing in the new requirements In line with the new training programme and that's why the panel aren't suited because they never had to meet these requirements, that's the only reason I can come up with to justify there excuse of the new programme preventing intake from panel, just my two cents!

In my view the reason the panel are not being taken on is due to the fact that the medicals are now out of date and some members of the panel may be ineligible due to age etc.

the govt probably wants to keep the camapign as open as possible while also taking as many garda reserves as they can etc

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Canyon86 wrote: »
    In my view the reason the panel are not being taken on is due to the fact that the medicals are now out of date and some members of the panel may be ineligible due to age etc.

the govt probably wants to keep the camapign as open as possible while also taking as many garda reserves as they can etc

We all knew our medicals are out of date. That’s a very simple process to repeat again. Also we are not ineligible due to our age. The rules of the campaign were that once you applied while under 35 you were grand. There has been many a Garda who started in Templemore older than 35.

It still amazes me how the Dept of Justice can send an email like that, and we still have not received any official correspondence from HQ.

The revised training program was brought out in 2010. What has changed from then to now that the Panel are unsuitable? I thought the government wanted to save money. By scrapping the Panel that they spent money on, they now are going to throw it all away and start from fresh and spend even more money going back over the same things again.

Yogi Bear wrote: »
    We all knew our medicals are out of date. That’s a very simple process to repeat again. Also we are not ineligible due to our age. The rules of the campaign were that once you applied while under 35 you were grand. There has been many a Garda who started in Templemore older than 35.

It still amazes me how the Dept of Justice can send an email like that, and we still have not received any official correspondence from HQ

It a joke the way we were treated, if they had told us when the embargo started that there would be no recruitment of this panel we could have got on with our lives and gone back to college/went abroad etc. Instead we were left glued to forums like this hanging on politicians every word for 5 years.

People on here saying this new competition is open and everyone should be treated equally whether they were on previous panel or not. The people on the panel weren't treated equally, I know two lads who did the interveiw and aptitudes at same time as myself and got in just before embargo started and now we have to join a que of 30,000 rather than 300 due to no fault of our own.

It a joke the way we were treated, if they had told us when the embargo started that there would be no recruitment of this panel we could have got on with our lives and gone back to college/went abroad etc. Instead we were left glued to forums like this hanging on politicians every word for 5 years.

People on here saying this new competition is open and everyone should be treated equally whether they were on previous panel or not. The people on the panel weren't treated equally, I know two lads who did the interveiw and aptitudes at same time as myself and got in just before embargo started and now we have to join a que of 30,000 rather than 300 due to no fault of our own.

Lads seriously, you were never offered the position. You were just names on a list. That's all. Stop feeling sorry for yourselves, because it was always going to happen. Nothing you say or do will change anything. Just concentrate on the next recruitment drive, and if your good enough you'll get it.

You can hardly expect them to treat to different. If people on the panel were treated different, then they may aswel of just kept the panel altogether. They always said don't put your lives on hold. Its not there fault if you did

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭redno.3

Lads seriously, you were never offered the position. You were just names on a list. That's all. Stop feeling sorry for yourselves, because it was always going to happen. Nothing you say or do will change anything. Just concentrate on the next recruitment drive, and if your good enough you'll get it.

You can hardly expect them to treat to different. If people on the panel were treated different, then they may aswel of just kept the panel altogether. They always said don't put your lives on hold. Its not there fault if you did

I was also on the panel and I am totally disgusted with the way we were treated.

It's very easy to say tough luck and sur try again. A small bit of common courtesy was the least we deserved. They had not even the manners to contact us personally to say it was not going to happen. 5 years was a long time to be waiting, up until last year we were told the panel was still active. I will be on to my local td again about this and he can be sure he'll never get my vote again or fianna fail for that matter.

I will b applying again an will give it my best shot as its the career I want!

Nobody is feeling sorry for themselves by the way, a bit of fair play was all that was needed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

redno.3 wrote: »
    I was also on the panel and I am totally disgusted with the way we were treated.

It's very easy to say tough luck and sur try again. A small bit of common courtesy was the least we deserved. They had not even the manners to contact us personally to say it was not going to happen. 5 years was a long time to be waiting, up until last year we were told the panel was still active. I will be on to my local td again about this and he can be sure he'll never get my vote again or fianna fail for that matter.

I will b applying again an will give it my best shot as its the career I want!

Nobody is feeling sorry for themselves by the way, a bit of fair play was all that was needed!

This is the norm in the public sector. Welcome to reality.

Just out of curiosity has anybody been in contact with HQ regarding our situation? I'm going to ring tomorrow and ask for any information and if they say "no information" I wonder how they will react when I tell them of shatters secretary's email I recieved

dylmeister wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity has anybody been in contact with HQ regarding our situation? I'm going to ring tomorrow and ask for any information and if they say "no information" I wonder how they will react when I tell them of shatters secretary's email I recieved

Do you expect to be offered a job or something? An announcement has already been made. If you take on the department there will only be one winner

Do you expect to be offered a job or something? An announcement has already been made. If you take on the department there will only be one winner

It's people like you who I pray never gets in to the job. I never said anything about taking on any department I merely said why can't hq confirm it when everyone else is. Sim

• Advertisement

Heya.. I was wondering something similar myself. I read the announcement from the minister and I saw your post with your reply from the ministers office but I've not received any correspondence from anyone. Should we receive letters of some sort ? I'd imagine we would.
    I have accepted the panel has been gotten rid of and we will need to reapply but at the same time, should we be contacted ?

Advertisement