Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭redno.3

Section_4 wrote: »
    There is no attitude in that or any of my previous posts.

Obviously you didn't read my previous comment further up the thread which espoused that all employers, such as AGS, are looking for well rounded individuals; some of these well rounded individuals may have, shock horror, obtained a college degree and augmented this with other life experience(s).

At no point did I state, imply or otherwise suggest that a candidate, in having one or more college degree, would be a better candidate and / or Garda than someone who followed a different formative path. I was responding to Santa Cruz's somewhat bigoted (or misinterpreted - it's hard to detect typed sarcasm in a single sentence) comment about excluding candidates because they orate with a wider range of vocabulary than he/she is comfortable with.

There is a lot to be said for sensationalism and misinterpretation, especially advocating the view that Gardaí don't benefit from having a college degree. While the physical piece of paper may be of no use on the 'street' the life experience(s) and personal development that college students gain from the plethora of adventures, activities and situations they go through during college and it's associated diversions into the "real world" most certainly do come to the fore should they find themselves serving with AGS.

I've said enough on this and as Brad Pittman correctly said this thread has been worn out.

My apoligies

redno.3 wrote: »
    My apoligies

My apologies, I obviously took u up wrong!

I was on the panel and I have totally accepted the panel is gone but I feel I'm still entitled to vent my frustration at the way it was done.

Absolutely some previos

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Section_4 wrote: »

While the physical piece of paper may be of no use on the 'street'

http://chrisuggen.blogspot.ie/2010/04/higher-education-and-police-officer.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Scouser wrote: »

There are quite a few interesting studies that have been done surrounding the whole further education and its impact on policing debate.

The Impact of Higher Education on Police Officers Attitudes Regarding Abuse of Authority

Some police forces are looking to have third level education as a minimum requirement to entry, wouldn't surprise me if that was the norm in a decade or so.

There are quite a few interesting studies that have been done surrounding the whole further education and its impact on policing debate.

The Impact of Higher Education on Police Officers Attitudes Regarding Abuse of Authority

Some police forces are looking to have third level education as a minimum requirement to entry, wouldn't surprise me if that was the norm in a decade or so.

More luck to anyone who has third level education, it definitely will help your cause but it's not the be all and end all if you don't!

Once your sitting in front of the interview board it's up to you to sell yourself with your life experience and work ethic as a whole!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

There is no topic to discuss. It's dead, just like the panel. This has just turned into a thread about people who weren't "personally informed", that a list created over four years ago has been extinguished, even though its been said by Shatter himself and numerous others.

They are under no obligation to go to the effort of contacting every single person after all this time to inform them.

You are entitled to know “personally” if the panel has been scrapped or not. Not only is it pure common courtesy to an individual to inform them they are no longer being considered for the job, but as an employer to treat all employees and prospective employees fairly and provide information.

You are told very quickly while going through the process if you fail at any stage, that you are no longer being considered. Why should this be any different?

If you ring HQ about the panel, they are saying that they have not been informed yet officially and nothing has been decided, but they are aware of the Ministers speech.

I do believe the panel is dead and gone, but we are still entitled to get the envelope with the harp through the door at some stage, to let us know.

Yogi Bear wrote: »

You are entitled to know “personally” if the panel has been scrapped or not. Not only is it pure common courtesy to an individual to inform them they are no longer being considered for the job, but as an employer to treat all employees and prospective employees fairly and provide information.

You are told very quickly while going through the process if you fail at any stage, that you are no longer being considered. Why should this be any different?

If you ring HQ about the panel, they are saying that they have not been informed yet officially and nothing has been decided, but they are aware of the Ministers speech.

I do believe the panel is dead and gone, but we are still entitled to get the envelope with the harp through the door at some stage, to let us know.

Spot on, I'll second that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

Yogi Bear wrote: »

Don't you get it? Your not entitled to anything! Your just getting tossed aside like a used condom.

Yes it is common courtesy, and they should inform you, but they won't!

Garda HQ don't have a clue what's going on. Even if they did they won't be able to tell you. They don't decide these things. It's the department. Stop ringing ordinary Gardai, and start ringing the department for answers. It's the only way you'll get an answer is if you skip all the middle men and go straight to the top!

If you can't get your head around how this works, then how are you going to be as a Garda? There's a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes that are going to restrict how you do your job. For example if you wanted to arrest someone, but one of your superiors won't let you. Theses things happen and they have to be accepted or else your head will explode.

The second the minister made that speech your faith was sealed. If you expect anything else then prepare to be disappointed.

Yes it is common courtesy to get written confirmation, but this is severely lacking within governmental departments and it will not happen.

How many people were on the panel? What's the chances of a percentage of these people emigrating? Or have another job they don't want to give up? Or have a wife and kids? Or dead? Or have different contact details? Or no longer be interested? Realistically they can't use that panel!!! It's was four whole years ago! Never ever was it going to be used! Do you think if the panel was still there in a few more years time that it would be used? How long is a realistic timeframe? 5,6,7 or 8 years?

I'm not saying all of this to be a p***k to people. I just think people should just accept it, and prepare for the next campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

Don't you get it? Your not entitled to anything! Your just getting tossed aside like a used condom.

Yes it is common courtesy, and they should inform you, but they won't!

Garda HQ don't have a clue what's going on. Even if they did they won't be able to tell you. They don't decide these things. It's the department. Stop ringing ordinary Gardai, and start ringing the department for answers. It's the only way you'll get an answer is if you skip all the middle men and go straight to the top!

If you can't get your head around how this works, then how are you going to be as a Garda? There's a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes that are going to restrict how you do your job. For example if you wanted to arrest someone, but one of your superiors won't let you. Theses things happen and they have to be accepted or else your head will explode.

The second the minister made that speech your faith was sealed. If you expect anything else then prepare to be disappointed.

Yes it is common courtesy to get written confirmation, but this is severely lacking within governmental departments and it will not happen.

How many people were on the panel? What's the chances of a percentage of these people emigrating? Or have another job they don't want to give up? Or have a wife and kids? Or dead? Or have different contact details? Or no longer be interested? Realistically they can't use that panel!!! It's was four whole years ago! Never ever was it going to be used! Do you think if the panel was still there in a few more years time that it would be used? How long is a realistic timeframe? 5,6,7 or 8 years?

I'm not saying all of this to be a p***k to people. I just think people should just accept it, and prepare for the next campaign.

There's really no need to be quite so dismissive and aggressive towards these folks, brad. To say they're not entitled to a response from hrm is quite wrong I think. The very least these people deserve is a dear John letter or a phone call and before you say shatter has said the panel is dropped, what of those on the panel who didn't catch that answer on Kildare street or whatever? Only Garda hrm have the details of all those people on the panel so surely it's up to hrm to inform people the panel has been scrapped. I'm not disputing the panel being scrapped, I don't think anybody here is but I think these people deserve something in writing confirming same. Maybe I'm picking up the tone of your posts wrong but I don't understand the underlying aggression or frustration in your posts directed towards people on the panel. Surely if you were on this panel you'd be wanting the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭annlewis

Were you on the panel Brad ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Maybe I'm picking up the tone of your posts wrong but I don't understand the underlying aggression or frustration in your posts directed towards people on the panel. Surely if you were on this panel you'd be wanting the same?

Ill tell you the answer to this. Instead of him having the view that we are all on the same boat with a common goal, he sees us as competition and was probably delighted to see the faith of the panel as it is. Im not on the panel and I have myself said that it is probable that ye might not get confirmation but to say ye shouldn't get it or don't deserve to is bull. It's the likes of him that in my mind are afraid of competition an with the attitude he shows I would think that the interview will see through him. There will be plenty of people come this time next year still on this, dare I say it, talking s**t and thinking they know it all, but hopefully there will be a few of genuine boarders training by then. All ill say is some people will get landed back to reality during the process.

thekopend wrote: »
    Ill tell you the answer to this. Instead of him having the view that we are all on the same boat with a common goal, he sees us as competition and was probably delighted to see the faith of the panel as it is. Im not on the panel and I have myself said that it is probable that ye might not get confirmation but to say ye shouldn't get it or don't deserve to is bull. It's the likes of him that in my mind are afraid of competition an with the attitude he shows I would think that the interview will see through him. There will be plenty of people come this time next year still on this, dare I say it, talking s**t and thinking they know it all, but hopefully there will be a few of genuine boarders training by then. All ill say is some people will get landed back to reality during the process.

You've hit the nail on the head there I think. I'm not on the panel myself but I still think they should get some kind of confirmation. Anyway, best of luck to all the genuine boarders out there looking to join. God knows new bodies are needed!

You've hit the nail on the head there I think. I'm not on the panel myself but I still think they should get some kind of confirmation. Anyway, best of luck to all the genuine boarders out there looking to join. God knows new bodies are needed!

I was on the panel

I totally agree. I will give it my best shot this time cos its my last chance age wise. If I was good enough before I will b good enough again. To hell with the begrudgers I say!

I was on the panel

I totally agree. I will give it my best shot this time cos its my last chance age wise. If I was good enough before I will b good enough again. To hell with the begrudgers I say!

Same as Redno. I'm the same. Bit of a downer we have to apply again even though we were deemed eligible last time but awh well. Roll on the great announcement of when the competition opens :)

There's really no need to be quite so dismissive and aggressive towards these folks, brad. To say they're not entitled to a response from hrm is quite wrong I think. The very least these people deserve is a dear John letter or a phone call and before you say shatter has said the panel is dropped, what of those on the panel who didn't catch that answer on Kildare street or whatever? Only Garda hrm have the details of all those people on the panel so surely it's up to hrm to inform people the panel has been scrapped. I'm not disputing the panel being scrapped, I don't think anybody here is but I think these people deserve something in writing confirming same. Maybe I'm picking up the tone of your posts wrong but I don't understand the underlying aggression or frustration in your posts directed towards people on the panel. Surely if you were on this panel you'd be wanting the same?

Yes you are picking up my tone wrong. It's a bunch of letters on a page.

Yes the people on the panel were treated badly. Yes the people on the panel deserve to be told what's happening, but don't hold your breath.

This is the public service in all it's glory. One of these days you will be working for them, and you will spend the rest of your career in the Gardai complaining about them

thekopend wrote: »

Yeah that's it. You know everything. You can tell so much about someone from reading a few posts on a thread. 20,000 applicants buddy, maybe a couple hundred on the panel? You do the maths!

Yeah that's it. You know everything. You can tell so much about someone from reading a few posts on a thread. 20,000 applicants buddy, maybe a couple hundred on the panel? You do the maths!

Don't care if it's 200,000 applicants, sur we'll give it a shot!

Your right you can tell a lot about someone by reading a few posts, people who just post negative crap all the time and are bitter for some reason or another, ah it's not worth the hassle, ignore it people!

Don't care if it's 200,000 applicants, sur we'll give it a shot!

Your right you can tell a lot about someone by reading a few posts, people who just post negative crap all the time and are bitter for some reason or another, ah it's not worth the hassle, ignore it people!

That's the spirit champ :)

That's the spirit champ :)

Thanks buddy! Oh yeah!

Yes you are picking up my tone wrong. It's a bunch of letters on a page.

Yes the people on the panel were treated badly. Yes the people on the panel deserve to be told what's happening, but don't hold your breath.

This is the public service in all it's glory. One of these days you will be working for them, and you will spend the rest of your career in the Gardai complaining about them

I am already a serving member so I am quite familiar with Garda management, the public service and how the system works thanks.

• Advertisement

Folks, to be honest this Brad dude should just be ignored.

He spent time on a panel for a different position previously. Surely he has some sort of understanding.
    Maybe he doesn't....

Anyhow guys, we have accepted the panel has been removed, even if we got no letter.... and we do need to apply again and we have the experience of the test, , interview, medical and pct so let's look on the bright side :) we can do it !!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

That Brad is an awful tosser. Don't even know why hes in this thread, obviously just trying to stir sh!t. Must have failed to make the panel himself.
    The Panel still exists until we are told otherwise by HQ. This is what they told me. Shatter has not said a thing to HQ about the panel. He is just blabbering on in the Dail but has released nothing official about it.
    When HQ get an official answer about the panel, each individual WILL be contacted. So don't be upset that you have not been contacted, because they have nothing to tell us, we are still on the panel as far as they are concerned.

I agree Devil. Last time I gave them a buzz in hrm they did say they were aware of the ministeres comments and that every body would be informed should the panel be scrapped or removed. So for the time being I guess we'll hang on in there :)
    Just incase thou..do you have any of the new requirements ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Cd_doe

Devil08 wrote: »
    That Brad is an awful tosser. Don't even know why hes in this thread, obviously just trying to stir sh!t. Must have failed to make the panel himself.
    The Panel still exists until we are told otherwise by HQ. This is what they told me. Shatter has not said a thing to HQ about the panel. He is just blabbering on in the Dail but has released nothing official about it.
    When HQ get an official answer about the panel, each individual WILL be contacted. So don't be upset that you have not been contacted, because they have nothing to tell us, we are still on the panel as far as they are concerned.

First I want to say I agree that people on the panel got shafted.
    In my opinion the scrapping of the panel is the correct thing to do as so many people's circumstances have changed. Half the panel could have left the country, some could have taken new jobs, some could even be in prison or dead!
    However I think that during this recruitment campaign, people that were on the panel should get "looked after" as long as they can still pass the medical, fitness and background checks. After all, some people on the panel showed massive commitment by hanging in there.

Now, I think it's absolutely crazy that some people think the panel still exists. It's come from the horses mouth that it's gone. They probably wouldn't have a full recruitment campaign soon if the panel still existed. It seems people are just hoping and using technicalities such as "it hasn't been sent to hr in writing yet" in the hope that it won't happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

So because Shatter mentioned in the dail that it is 'unlikely' that the panel will be kept you are taking this as gospel? The man has never stuck to a word he has ever said so I'd pay no attention to it. Garda HQ look after appointments and they have said they havnt been told anything about the panel. So I'll listen to them.
    I think people just waiting to apply are hoping the panel will be scrapped and are popping up in here to try stir sh1t.
    My advice would be to stay away from this thread unless you are on the panel and waiting to hear from HQ about what's happening. This thread is for the panel to discuss the situation, those of us who have hung around the last 5 years waiting for this. Not for the johnny come latelys who decided they wanted to be a Garda 2 months ago because their corporate world is gone t1ts up.

Cd_doe wrote: »
    First I want to say I agree that people on the panel got shafted.
    In my opinion the scrapping of the panel is the correct thing to do as so many people's circumstances have changed. Half the panel could have left the country, some could have taken new jobs, some could even be in prison or dead!
    However I think that during this recruitment campaign, people that were on the panel should get "looked after" as long as they can still pass the medical, fitness and background checks. After all, some people on the panel showed massive commitment by hanging in there.

Now, I think it's absolutely crazy that some people think the panel still exists. It's come from the horses mouth that it's gone. They probably wouldn't have a full recruitment campaign soon if the panel still existed. It seems people are just hoping and using technicalities such as "it hasn't been sent to hr in writing yet" in the hope that it won't happen...

It's up to people on the panel to decide if their circumstances have changed, they should be contacted, it's not more than a year ago that shatter said the the panel was still in place for when recruitment restarted. It's probably gone but we still have to not take it lying down, contact your local td, local media, the gra, anyone who will listen!

It's has to be shown up as another complete waste of taxpayers money, anyone on the panel please don't just give up, try an fight the tossers who make these decisions!

Devil08 wrote: »
    So because Shatter mentioned in the dail that it is 'unlikely' that the panel will be kept you are taking this as gospel? The man has never stuck to a word he has ever said so I'd pay no attention to it. Garda HQ look after appointments and they have said they havnt been told anything about the panel. So I'll listen to them.
    I think people just waiting to apply are hoping the panel will be scrapped and are popping up in here to try stir sh1t.
    My advice would be to stay away from this thread unless you are on the panel and waiting to hear from HQ about what's happening. This thread is for the panel to discuss the situation, those of us who have hung around the last 5 years waiting for this. Not for the johnny come latelys who decided they wanted to be a Garda 2 months ago because their corporate world is gone t1ts up.

1. I'll pass on your advice to stay away from a public forum.

2. If your not going to take the word of Alan Shatter in relation to the panel, then why are you taking his word in relation to recruitment starting soon.

3. Garda HQ don't look after recruitment. The public appointments service do.

4. I'm not hoping the panel is scrapped (it makes no difference to me). I was just skimming through this public forum and decided to give my opinion.

5. I'm not a "johnny come lately" who decided I wanted to be a Garda 2 months ago.

There's a lot of people who are sore about the panel (and obviously I wouldn't blame them). But calm down mate. Nobody here is to blame for the past screw up in relation to the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

I know this isnt the same but the panel from the 2010 recruit competition for the defence forces was only closed just before the 2012 competition opened. So maybe they are waiting for garda recruitment competition to be confirmed before they inform panel members. Just a thought i really dont know what they will do

It's up to people on the panel to decide if their circumstances have changed, !

People on the panel don't get to decide many of their circumstances which could now render them incapable of joining.

For example their age, health and background checks.

I now feel the need to again say I totally agree the people on the panel got shafted. I think the panel should be scrapped and everyone apply again. The original panel should be "looked after" if they pass the medical, fitness and background checks...

• Advertisement

Cd_doe wrote: »
    People on the panel don't get to decide many of their circumstances which could now render them incapable of joining.

For example their age, health and background checks.

I now feel the need to again say I totally agree the people on the panel got shafted. I think the panel should be scrapped and everyone apply again. The original panel should be "looked after" if they pass the medical, fitness and background checks...

My age is ok 33, have no underlying illnesses or conditions, never been in trouble with the law in my life, neither have any relations of mine that I know of!

In reality that's not going to happen being ' looked after '. The only hope (and its a very small one) is to keep the panel and redo it all for those who still are interested in the career!

I just rang the G.R.A today and the advice I got was to write two letters, one directly to the commissioner and one directly to the minister for justice stating our situation and basically ask him to consider giving us our deserved chance!

If as many as possible from the panel could do that then at least we can't say we didn't do all we could and be able to move on and put it behind us!

I'm writing it up over the weekend and sending it Monday!

Advertisement