Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panel

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

dylmeister wrote: »
    It's people like you who I pray never gets in to the job. I never said anything about taking on any department I merely said why can't hq confirm it when everyone else is. Sim

People like me? pray all you want then. My point is that it was announced in the Dail. Shatter said it himself, and emails were sent out by his secretary. Garda HQ have enough work to be doing then answering questions to people, when it already has been answered. They are just normal Gardai who can't answer you.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dylmeister

People like me? pray all you want then. My point is that it was announced in the Dail. Shatter said it himself, and emails were sent out by his secretary. Garda HQ have enough work to be doing then answering questions to people, when it already has been answered. They are just normal Gardai who can't answer you.

Were you even on the panel??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

I've contacted HQ and I know others on the panel who also did. HQ said they have not been informed of anything from the minister in relation to the panel but they have heard the comments from the dail. They said as soon as anything is made official they will contact each member of the panel to explain the situation.
    Unlikely the panel will be kept reading the statements from the dail, but nothing has been signed off yet and the panel is still in place until you personally hear otherwise from HQ.
    don't let idiots like above get to you, I've seen plenty of them in this thread over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭annlewis

Devil08 wrote: »
    I've contacted HQ and I know others on the panel who also did. HQ said they have not been informed of anything from the minister in relation to the panel but they have heard the comments from the dail. They said as soon as anything is made official they will contact each member of the panel to explain the situation.
    Unlikely the panel will be kept reading
    the statements from the dail, but nothing has been signed off yet and the panel is still in place until you personally hear otherwise from HQ.
    don't let idiots like above get to you, I've seen plenty of them in this thread over the years

Did you contact them recently Devil?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

annlewis wrote: »
    Did you contact them recently Devil?

About 2 weeks ago

• Advertisement

Devil08 wrote: »
    About 2 weeks ago
    So still since the announcement was made from the minister.
    Who knows whats on the cards for us then so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Canyon86 wrote: »

Dont think its that bad. They didnt say no recruitment. Or did I read it wrong 8)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kdarragh

Here I know that we on The Panel are more than likely scrapped, but that Brad Pittman is an awful cabbage isn't he??

The forum clearly states that it sole use is for Panel members.

Just looking for an argument, the bleedin aul1! :D

kdarragh wrote: »
    Here I know that we on The Panel are more than likely scrapped, but that Brad Pittman is an awful cabbage isn't he??

The forum clearly states that it sole use is for Panel members.

Just looking for an argument, the bleedin aul1! :D

Cabbage isn't quite accurate. Maybe try cluster or clusterf***. My whole point is that everyone was told that the panel has ceased to exist.

It's a public forum, and you may not agree with what I say but I don't care.

My opinion is that people should just accept the facts, stop fighting a loosing battle, and concentrate on the next competition.

Yes I was on a panel before

And also be careful what you reveal up here, because you never know who reads this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Nothing we didn't know already, wouldn't worry bout it, they won't mind bringing in new recruits too much, the sh**e pay that they be getting wont hurt the buget that much. 😕

Nothing we didn't know already, wouldn't worry bout it, they won't mind bringing in new recruits too much, the sh**e pay that they be getting wont hurt the buget that much. 😕

some people may not have read the whole thing, click 'read more' to read full article(canyon86) its not bad news. 'An announcement on progressing a garda recruitment campaign is expected within weeks, while applications are being sought for promotions to sergeant and inspector. It is likely that vacancies for around 80 sergeants and 20 inspectors will be filled.'

don't sound too bad to me!

My whole point is that everyone was told that the panel has ceased to exist.

I wasn't told. I never received any official notice the panel has ceased to exist. Hrm said they would contact everyone on the panel when they know what is happening. They can't expect everyone to take what the minister said and not receive offical notice.
    Yes, we are concentrating on the next drive in the event of the worst outcome but if it turns out we are to be kept, great..its a bonus.
    Like the linked article above says it really is only a matter of weeks away anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

thekopend wrote: »
    some people may not have read the whole thing, click 'read more' to read full article(canyon86) its not bad news. 'An announcement on progressing a garda recruitment campaign is expected within weeks, while applications are being sought for promotions to sergeant and inspector. It is likely that vacancies for around 80 sergeants and 20 inspectors will be filled.'

don't sound too bad to me!

Sorry lads, I didn read it fully,, I only read the bad part lol

How is everyone ?

Very quiet around these parts. Still nothing to report. All quiet and no official Dear John. Odd, cause I thought soon after the ministers announcement that we would have got letters about the panel being removed, or not being used in future recruitments. Been a good while now since that was said.
    Dail will be back shortly too, about 2 weeks is it ? We'll probably hear something then.

To be honest did anyone realistically expect the panel to be used after 4/5 years. I don't think they will give ye anything more than a phone call, as awfull as it is at the end of the day there was no guarantee of anything and all ye wer was numbers on a page to them, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they never bothered to make contact only for ye're efforts to get answers, it's a cut throat world.

thekopend wrote: »
    To be honest did anyone realistically expect the panel to be used after 4/5 years. I don't think they will give ye anything more than a phone call, as awfull as it is at the end of the day there was no guarantee of anything and all ye wer was numbers on a page to them, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they never bothered to make contact only for ye're efforts to get answers, it's a cut throat world.

Even a phone call would be nice.
    At this stage, thekopend who knows what this government is capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

annlewis wrote: »
    Even a phone call would be nice.
    At this stage, thekopend who knows what this government is capable of.

Why exactly would you expect a phone call? Were you officially offered a position or something? A panel is just for possible future recruitment, it is not a solid job offer. They generally have a lifespan of 3-4 years, then they're scrapped. They're under no obligation to inform people on the panel that it has been scrapped.

Anyone who thinks they're still going to use the last panel is living in cloud cuckoo land. The country has changed so much in the last four years and the powers that be know this. In today's world they will be able to recruit specifically from people who have law degrees, criminology degrees, Garda reserves, PSNI officers, prison officers etc etc. It would be insane to go back through an old panel when they know full well that this competition will have the most highly qualified and experienced candidates for Garda recruitment, possibly in the history of the State.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Why exactly would you expect a phone call? Were you officially offered a position or something? A panel is just for possible future recruitment, it is not a solid job offer. They generally have a lifespan of 3-4 years, then they're scrapped. They're under no obligation to inform people on the panel that it has been scrapped.

Anyone who thinks they're still going to use the last panel is living in cloud cuckoo land. The country has changed so much in the last four years and the powers that be know this. In today's world they will be able to recruit specifically from people who have law degrees, criminology degrees, Garda reserves, PSNI officers, prison officers etc etc. It would be insane to go back through an old panel when they know full well that this competition will have the most highly qualified and experienced candidates for Garda recruitment, possibly in the history of the State.

While they may be recruiting people with degrees etc. I would much prefer a Garda that has a bit of knowledge of the world and knows how to mix with ordinary people and uses his/her discretion e.g. barmen, bus drivers etc. and not someone who has spent four years living in the unreal world of third level colleges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    While they may be recruiting people with degrees etc. I would much prefer a Garda that has a bit of knowledge of the world and knows how to mix with ordinary people and uses his/her discretion e.g. barmen, bus drivers etc. and not someone who has spent four years living in the unreal world of third level colleges

I agree, You can't beat life experience:D Take my brother for example. He was always top of the class but when it comes to everyday things like dealing with people, driving and just using common sense he is useless:o

This campaign will also have every yob in the country applying for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Section_4

What about those people who spent four (or more) years living in the "unreal world of third level colleges" and augmented their educational achievements with "knowledge of the real world" by mixing with "ordinary people" through part / full time employment, voluntary activities, participating in sports, travelling and so forth.

I would tentatively suggest that any prospective employer, AGS included, would have a preference for well rounded individuals and as such would look at the entire package someone has to offer and would not be so dismissive towards someone who invested time and effort in getting themselves through college and out the other side as you are in your comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

I think this is quite dismissive and disrespectful to people that were on the panel. Whose to say there aren't any of the above you've described already on the panel? The people who were on the panel were on it because they were already deemed to have qualities necessary for a career in this job.

Just because no actual offer of employment was ever given by hrm, I'd still like to think the job would be decent enough to send some kind of written confirmation to these folks considering they've done all the required tests and interviews necessary for acceptance as a trainee. It's not their fault a mororirium happened and they were effectively in limbo for the past 4/5 years. If you ever failed a stage three exam be it medical or pct, you were given confirmation of that by the depot in writing. I don't see why they couldn't put something similar in place now. I'm assuming you're not on the panel? Surely if you we're you'd want some kind of correspondence or at least acknowledgement from Garda hrm? I really don't think it's a lot to ask but maybe that's just me.

Well that's exactly it northside girl. Wouldn't any other job send you correspondence in relation to your application be it a dear john or other ? Or they would make some contact with you. From having worked in a hr role, contact was always made with applicants be it good news or bad, by post or phone. Common courtesy I would think.
    Don't get me wrong either, there's every possibility the guys in hrm don't know the situation. The last time I called they were unable to give me any info sadly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Section_4 wrote: »
    What about those people who spent four (or more) years living in the "unreal world of third level colleges" and augmented their educational achievements with "knowledge of the real world" by mixing with "ordinary people" through part / full time employment, voluntary activities, participating in sports, travelling and so forth.

I would tentatively suggest that any prospective employer, AGS included, would have a preference for well rounded individuals and as such would look at the entire package someone has to offer and would not be so dismissive towards someone who invested time and effort in getting themselves through college and out the other side as you are in your comment.

My first task would be to eliminate any candidate who uses the word "tentatively"

My first task would be to eliminate any candidate who uses the word "tentatively"

Fortunately successful professionals, such as those on the interview board that Garda recruit applicants will face, aren't so naive; therefore candidates who elect to exercise such vocabulary have naught to fear.

I think we've gone way off topic from this thread so lets call it quits before we're instructed by a mod to do so eh?!

Fortunately successful professionals, such as those on the interview board that Garda recruit applicants will face, aren't so naive; therefore candidates who elect to exercise such vocabulary have naught to fear.

I think we've gone way off topic from this thread so lets call it quits before we're instructed by a mod to do so eh?!

There is no topic to discuss. It's dead, just like the panel. This has just turned into a thread about people who weren't "personally informed", that a list created over four years ago has been extinguished, even though its been said by Shatter himself and numerous others.

They are under no obligation to go to the effort of contacting every single person after all this time to inform them.

If people just can't accept this fact, then they are going to haunt themselves forever. Everybody knows how this country and our government operate. Do you honestly expect the department to care? Or think to themselves that they should be polite enough to break the bad news to you? This is how things are done. Your just a name on a page.

Four years is a lifetime. People change. Realistically this should of been said within 1 -2 years if the panel been formed.

But then again the department doesn't care

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭redno.3

What a load of bull!

That's the type of attitude that has this country in the mess it's currently in!

U can have all the degrees and qualifications under the sun but it still doesn't mean ur automatically going to make a good guard on the street!

• Advertisement

redno.3 wrote: »
    What a load of bull!

That's the type of attitude that has this country in the mess it's currently in!

U can have all the degrees and qualifications under the sun but it still doesn't mean ur automatically going to make a good guard on the street!

There is no attitude in that or any of my previous posts.

Obviously you didn't read my previous comment further up the thread which espoused that all employers, such as AGS, are looking for well rounded individuals; some of these well rounded individuals may have, shock horror, obtained a college degree and augmented this with other life experience(s).

At no point did I state, imply or otherwise suggest that a candidate, in having one or more college degree, would be a better candidate and / or Garda than someone who followed a different formative path. I was responding to Santa Cruz's somewhat bigoted (or misinterpreted - it's hard to detect typed sarcasm in a single sentence) comment about excluding candidates because they orate with a wider range of vocabulary than he/she is comfortable with.

There is a lot to be said for sensationalism and misinterpretation, especially advocating the view that Gardaí don't benefit from having a college degree. While the physical piece of paper may be of no use on the 'street' the life experience(s) and personal development that college students gain from the plethora of adventures, activities and situations they go through during college and it's associated diversions into the "real world" most certainly do come to the fore should they find themselves serving with AGS.

I've said enough on this and as Brad Pittman correctly said this thread has been worn out.

Advertisement