Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I wonder will they keep a regular intake or just ban recruitment for another five years after this one is over..

Jesus, If they done that i'd be 26 by the time i'd get a chance to join. :eek: and if they took on 4-500 people would that really make much of a difference to the struggling numbers in AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭annlewis

carzony wrote: »
    I wonder will they keep a regular intake.

Did Shatter not say he wanted/needed to have regular intakes to keep the numbers up in the force?
    I thought someone posted here about 400 this time round? Would that be 4 intakes of 100 people. We need to remember we're not going back to 4 intakes of 250.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

annlewis wrote: »
    Did Shatter not say he wanted/needed to have regular intakes to keep the numbers up in the force?
    I thought someone posted here about 400 this time round? Would that be 4 intakes of 100 people. We need to remember we're not going back to 4 intakes of 250.

Those days are long gone you said it!

Id imagine a panel being formed say 200-400 and they go from there for the next few years???

classes of 50??

Anybody have any figures for the offical garda numbers?
    Im sure i read it was around the 13,200 mark?

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Those days are long gone you said it!

Id imagine a panel being formed say 200-400 and they go from there for the next few years???

classes of 50??

Anybody have any figures for the offical garda numbers?
    Im sure i read it was around the 13,200 mark?

That definitely makes sense canyon yea, to form a panel and use it each time an intake is needed rather than have a whole new recruitment drive each time.

Going to be out pounding the pavement now from this evening :)
    Going to be doing everything in my power. I'm on the panel but at the moment im expecting the worst news that we will have to apply again until we're told otherwise.

That definitely makes sense canyon yea, to form a panel and use it each time an intake is needed rather than have a whole new recruitment drive each time.

Going to be out pounding the pavement now from this evening :)
    Going to be doing everything in my power. I'm on the panel but at the moment im expecting the worst news that we will have to apply again until we're told otherwise.

But then again Ann common sense isnt somehting that the govt tends to apply very often :)

Best off to keep active and upskilling where possible you d never know what will be announced.. I understand it is frustrating for ye on the panel!!

Have you much contact with other panel members or?

• Advertisement

Canyon86 wrote: »
    But then again Ann common sense isnt somehting that the govt tends to apply very often :)

Best off to keep active and upskilling where possible you d never know what will be announced.. I understand it is frustrating for ye on the panel!!

Have you much contact with other panel members or?

Its been as frustrating as hell but I'm not on my own I suppose. I only know 2 other folk on the panel, that's all. There seems to be a few on here that are on it plus then you have the people on it that aren't on boards so there could be a good few people in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mr magu

I'm on the panel

mr magu wrote: »
    I'm on the panel

Well hello Mr Magu, fellow panel member :)
    Another one of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dylmeister

Well hello Mr Magu, fellow panel member :)
    Another one of us.

Hey guys another panel member here from mayo, great news on recruitment. Just hope our patience and hard work and effort is not wasted over the last few years, also the money spent doing courses, trains ,buses to Dublin for aptitude test interview medical.also physical in templemore, we deserve respect and a break

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

I've been on panel for 5 years. Applied in May 08. I've no confidence in Shatter at all. I'm pretty sure he will scrap panel. And he won't give a **** about upsetting people. I think the panel should at least be put through the recruitment process again first and then opened up to everyone else

• Advertisement

Devil08 wrote: »
    I've been on panel for 5 years. Applied in May 08. I've no confidence in Shatter at all. I'm pretty sure he will scrap panel. And he won't give a **** about upsetting people. I think the panel should at least be put through the recruitment process again first and then opened up to everyone else
    It's hard to know what's going to happen, if they were going to scrap panel why wait until now to tell us if they do, the thoughts of doing the interview again makes me sick in my stomach. We deserve respect from what we have been put through the last few years. I completed all stages, the last being the physical in April 2008 I think roughly, at present going into my 3rd year in college doing business degree which has kept me sane and not thinking about recruitment every single day like I was a few years back

Devil08 wrote: »
    I think the panel should at least be put through the recruitment process again first and then opened up to everyone else

Great to see a few more panel members :)

I hope we don't have to go through the recruitment process again. Going all the way back to stage 1, aptitude test? Shouldn't we not just have to do medical and pct? Seen as we past all the other stages prior to the moratorium.
    Medical and pct would have to be redone incase something has changed since 2008/9.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Dublin fire bridge panel members were never told that their panel had been scrapped , when they inquired during the requirement drive they were told it was scrapped along with all other panels. Clarification for people would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

When did DFB start recruiting again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

I heard a rumor that there could be some legal thing there that the panel who is still eligible will have to be taken on. Don't take my word for gospil on this though guys.

Also heard from a source that some reserves and members of the public will be taken on. Its gonna be 50/50 I say.

Tyron Jara wrote: »

Also heard from a source that some reserves and members of the public will be taken on. Its gonna be 50/50 I say.

imo That's the fairest way to do it:cool:.

dylmeister wrote: »
    It's hard to know what's going to happen, if they were going to scrap panel why wait until now to tell us if they do, the thoughts of doing the interview again makes me sick in my stomach. We deserve respect from what we have been put through the last few years. I completed all stages, the last being the physical in April 2008 I think roughly, at present going into my 3rd year in college doing business degree which has kept me sane and not thinking about recruitment every single day like I was a few years back

Hi dylmeister,

I agree ye deserve respecet and recognition,

Fair play to you for going back to college and getting a degree!!

imo That's the fairest way to do it:cool:.

guess so, but still a pity if the panel are not put forward first aswell

Dylmeister, did you do your pct in april 08?
    Thats a very long wait. How come you didn't go to Temolemore in Feb 09 or May?

I do think the people on the panel should be contacted to see first of all if they are still in the country and secondly if they are still interested. Many people may have left the country or have other jobs or careers.

Dylmeister, did you do your pct in april 08?
    Thats a very long wait. How come you didn't go to Temolemore in Feb 09 or May?

I do think the people on the panel should be contacted to see first of all if they are still in the country and secondly if they are still interested. Many people may have left the country or have other jobs or careers.
    Sorry guys Its been that long since I did it I can't remember, I did the pct just before the last intake went, I was probably talking to a few of ye down there ha ha. I just think its a disgrace how we haven't had one phone call or letter even saying sorry for the wait or inconvenience caused, also people who aren't on the panel and want a job as a member I feel their pain too. We are adults at the end of the day trying to help to want to protect our nation and think we deserve our shot from being so patient and still wanting the job after this long wait. I've no problem re-doing medical and pct as it makes sense and background checks, but we have proven already we are well capable of giving the job a go after passing the aptitude and interview stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭blueforce

Has anyone rang the College or HQ yet to find out where the panel stands?

blueforce wrote: »
    Has anyone rang the College or HQ yet to find out where the panel stands?

I'm sick of ringing hq getting the same response from them saying they have no idea what's going on, I think we will find out soon where we stand because shatter will be under pressure to clarify where we stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭blueforce

I guess no one really knows for sure at the minute. Surely the panel are going to have to have background checks done again aswel?

I'd say give the guys in the depot and the college few more days to get things sorted cause im sure they are up the walls with phone calls and they probably don't know much at the moment anyway and if they do they might not be in a position to say.
    For every day that passes and we haven't been told the panel is gone is another day still on it :)

I'd say give the guys in the depot and the college few more days to get things sorted cause im sure they are up the walls with phone calls and they probably don't know much at the moment anyway and if they do they might not be in a position to say.
    For every day that passes and we haven't been told the panel is gone is another day still on it :)
    Here here!!

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    I heard a rumor that there could be some legal thing there that the panel who is still eligible will have to be taken on. Don't take my word for gospil on this though guys.

In the mid 1980's there was a similar embargo situation , some on the panel were offered positions within the Prison Services but eventually the panel was scrapped and when recruitment resumed it was back to square one for everyone. If the panel is now 5 years old a lot could have happened to candidates in the meantime , better jobs with more money that you will receive as a trainee garda , family committments, moving abroad etc. Granted a lot of people has put so much faith into the fact that the powers that be will give fair consideration to those who are currently on the panel but in reality the process will take priority and if the process is geared towards recruitment from the general public arena then that will take prescidence. The only exception might be the Garda Reserve
    and this may follow the route that the Met took last year when it hired directly from their corp of Special Constables who had mesurable experience within the job and had a large proportion of the training completed. It was viewed as a more cost effective and quicker way to get officers on the street.
    It would be wonderful to think that those on the panel would be given some credit for having gone through the selection process but this is the real world and at the end of the day it is about numbers and not individuals

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kdarragh

400 are looking to be added from the drive, Don't know whether that's to establish a new panel and take down regular moderate classes or what but 400 is the definite figure.

That was from a Supt. that I know well. He has also heard nothing on The Panel. Not a word on it which he said suggests a decision has been made (good/bad) prior to the recruitment announcement on it.

On the new requirements, he said he's heard the usual, he said the whole training program has been changed, 13 months until you're a probationary Guard so he reckons that-that suggests the introduction of new requirements.

One write up in the paper today suggested that you may no longer need a Leaving Certificate to apply either!

kdarragh wrote: »
    One write up in the paper today suggested that you may no longer need a Leaving Certificate to apply either!

I think that makes a lot of sense, I mean having a good grade in your leaving cert means nothing really.

If you can read, write and do basic maths that should be enough. Anything else should be considered a bonus :p

I think that makes a lot of sense, I mean having a good grade in your leaving cert means nothing really.

If you can read, write and do basic maths that should be enough. Anything else should be considered a bonus :p

Exactly friends of mine left school at junior cert level and have done exceptionally well for themselves, that's why I think the whole point system is unfair in the leaving cert, you should be able to go to college and study what you are interested in, not because you got 500 points and studied something for the sake of it and end up leaving that course

• Advertisement

dylmeister wrote: »
    Exactly friends of mine left school at junior cert level and have done exceptionally well for themselves, that's why I think the whole point system is unfair in the leaving cert, you should be able to go to college and study what you are interested in, not because you got 500 points and studied something for the sake of it and end up leaving that course

Well, Maybe i'm biased but I hated school from an early age and when I started 5th year they put me in the Leaving Cert Applied course, which has made thing very difficult for me as there are loads of courses I can't qualify for now, i'd need my 'traditional leaving cert'.

Luckily, I can apply for the garda but still. I don't wanna go off topic here but I really think scrapping the education requirement would be a sensible move. Having a good/bad leaving cert means nothing in the real world.

You only have to look at the disaster Irish has turned out to be. After most people learning it in school,hardly anyone can speak the language :o:o

Advertisement