Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Sorry lads - probably stretched the boundaries there a little! :o

I was trying to contribute to the thread by offering to answer any questions about products or techniques....I was only made aware of this thread recently - will try and drop by more often to answer any questions that come up....there was no "recent" questions to answer that hadnt already been answered.

Anyways - I'll gladly help and pitch in where I can! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Right, my foam is too runny. I cant seem to get a good sticky batch together. (oooh-errr matron! :P) Anyone got any tips? I'm using a Karcher 1600 (I think, from memory) and I think it might be slightly too powerful for the foam to mix properly with the water and the mixture seems to always be water heavy, unless I open the nozzle completely in which case it's still slightly too watery but the reservoir is empty in about 30 seconds and I get about 3 panels covered...

This is my second whinge about this, but it's upsetting me. :( haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

dar83 wrote: »
    Right, my foam is too runny. I cant seem to get a good sticky batch together. (oooh-errr matron! :P) Anyone got any tips? I'm using a Karcher 1600 (I think, from memory) and I think it might be slightly too powerful for the foam to mix properly with the water and the mixture seems to always be water heavy, unless I open the nozzle completely in which case it's still slightly too watery but the reservoir is empty in about 30 seconds and I get about 3 panels covered...

This is my second whinge about this, but it's upsetting me. :( haha.

What foam and what mix are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Add a stronger concentrate of foam or...

f37d8637-527c-482b-a530-046ee0b8a863.jpg

Haha. Thanks for that.

I'm using ValetPro PH Neutral stuff. And I probably used a concentrate of 1:10 with the latest wash... which is somewhat more concentrated than the 1:25 they recommend.

• Advertisement

I have the HD foam lance from cleancar.ie
    I use their foam as well.
    about one inch of foam in the container and half fill with warm water seems to do the trick for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I posted my setup above using the ValetPro stuff and very happy. I reckon the lance has a big part to play in the end result.

I also used a tip of warm water to mix the solution especially in this weather. I used 15:1 I think.

vectra wrote: »
    I have the HD foam lance from cleancar.ie
    I use their foam as well.
    about one inch of foam in the container and half fill with warm water seems to do the trick for me.

That would appear to be the same one I am using... http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/snow-foam-lance-various-fittings/prod_371.html

If you only half fill the container, do you not find it runs out in about 15 seconds? To get any sort of thick foam at all I need to have the valve on top pretty much, if not fully "open/+". I always use warm water with it as well. I dunno, maybe I'm expecting too much. :P

Not at all.

I got a good while out of half of the lance bottle - enough to cover the car twice.

I still have more than half left for next time...

I'll head out to the garage and check the settings on it later.

You could have a duff one.

edit: -
    So, here's a pic of how the nozzle looks. The gap is about the thickness of a credit card.

foamNozzle1.jpg

The turn dial on top is set to about 1.5 full revolutions of the knob anticlockwise from full close (if you turn it clockwise until it goes no further)

Hope that helps :)

edit2: The guys at CYC are very helpful I find in case this gets you nowhere

E39MSport wrote: »
    Not at all.

I got a good while out of half of the lance bottle - enough to cover the car twice.

I still have more than half left for next time...

I'll head out to the garage and check the settings on it later.

You could have a duff one.

edit: -
    So, here's a pic of how the nozzle looks. The gap is about the thickness of a credit card.

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac237/k1elliott/random/foamNozzle1.jpg

The turn dial on top is set to about 1.5 full revolutions of the knob anticlockwise from full close (if you turn it clockwise until it goes no further)

Hope that helps :)

edit2: The guys at CYC are very helpful I find in case this gets you nowhere

Couldn't have said it better myself

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info, I'll have to wait until Saturday but I might give it another shot then and see how it goes. Think the opening on the front of mine was pretty wide, so I'll try and use it that tight and see how it goes. :)

I shall provide pics (of success hopefully!) and owe you a pint if it works! Cheers.

Chrimbo pressie to self

mirageWax.jpg

Perfect opportunity today but I think the weather is supposed to turn for the weekend. Typical.

Some more cleaning today.

Used Megs APC for the first time. Great stuff. Lifts dirt very well.

Sprayed it on and left for a few minutes then wiped off with old microfibre cloth.
    Agitated the pedals with a large nail brush after spraying on APC then wiped off.

Finished everything with Megs Last Touch.

Want to get some trim dressing.

nearFrontInterior.jpg

nearRearInterior.jpg

bootInterior.jpg

driverFootwell.jpg

engineBay2.jpg

dar83 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, I'll have to wait until Saturday but I might give it another shot then and see how it goes. Think the opening on the front of mine was pretty wide, so I'll try and use it that tight and see how it goes. :)

I shall provide pics (of success hopefully!) and owe you a pint if it works! Cheers.

Did you get a chance to try it out Dar....how did you fair out?
    Chrimbo pressie to self

Perfect opportunity today but I think the weather is supposed to turn for the weekend. Typical.

Did you get to use it yet....how did you find application?

Was meant to say previously....that VW is an iconic car on DW :D Hope you are keeping it clean....it appears you are! ;)

Plan was to use the wax on the E39 - needed a good seeing to ;)

Sadly, that is not to be now for personal reasons :(

Bored with the Bora already so its up for sale and won't be wasting my wax on that one (or the Esty), so on the hunt for a new candidate to polish ....

Curran wrote: »
    Did you get a chance to try it out Dar....how did you fair out?

I didn't get a chance to do it last weekend, stupid drizzle wouldn't stop long enough for me to have the confidence to start a wash. I'm hoping to maybe get a crack at it tomorrow on my lunch. Should be getting new alloys delivered then too, so I'll need the car to be shiny before I put them on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Plan was to use the wax on the E39 - needed a good seeing to ;)

Sadly, that is not to be now for personal reasons :(

Bored with the Bora already so its up for sale and won't be wasting my wax on that one (or the Esty), so on the hunt for a new candidate to polish ....

Have you settled on any contenders??

Still slightly leaning towards VRS.

My main criteria are: -
    - moderate sized engine (hate spending shed loads on tax)
    - something I can put minimum maintenance hours into (let me focus on 8er restoration and Esty maintenance)
    - bit of fun
    - 4 doors
    - inconspicuous

I want the Bora to sell first before I tease myself with adds/choices. No bites there really.

I have a feeling I'll probably end up with something like E34 M5, S6 or 540i or similar which will make me happy in the short term but I won't be able to stop myself from upgrading / problem finding .....

Deffo try to go for a nice VRS. There's some lovely E39's out there though .... agghhhhhhh, stop, stop stooopppppppp

• Registered Users Posts: 33,633 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Still slightly leaning towards VRS.

My main criteria are: -
    - moderate sized engine (hate spending shed loads on tax)
    - something I can put minimum maintenance hours into (let me focus on 8er restoration and Esty maintenance)
    - bit of fun
    - 4 doors
    - inconspicuous

I want the Bora to sell first before I tease myself with adds/choices. No bites there really.

I have a feeling I'll probably end up with something like E34 M5, S6 or 540i or similar which will make me happy in the short term but I won't be able to stop myself from upgrading / problem finding .....

Deffo try to go for a nice VRS. There's some lovely E39's out there though .... agghhhhhhh, stop, stop stooopppppppp

Theres some lovely E39s out there now for pittance ;)

listermint wrote: »
    Theres some lovely E39s out there now for pittance ;)

And great value on E39 M5s - a lot of car for the money!! :D

Will be my next change, whenever I can afford it.....well, once petrol doesnt keep crawling up at the rate it is! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Weather is awful, car is longing for a wash and wax :(

Weather is awful, car is longing for a wash and wax :(

Mine is just looking for a wash.. No more waxing for me after using Body Wrap last November.. Car still beads like it has been just waxed :cool:

vectra wrote:
    Mine is just looking for a wash.. No more waxing for me after using Body Wrap last November.. Car still beads like it has been just waxed :cool:

Same as mine....Wolf's Body Wrap, applied in Nov ;)

She's filthy, but a quick wash and she'll be as good as new! Might do it tomorrow :)

Really impressed with it, will be my LSP of choice come next Oct / Nov.

Undecided about what to put on it, when I get around to polish it at the end of Feb, want a change from Pete's 53, great wax though! Might give HD a bash, or CG's Blacklight as it's supposed to work great with V7 when you wash the car and want to top it up!

vectra wrote: »
    Curran wrote: »
    Same as mine....Wolf's Body Wrap, applied in Nov ;)

She's filthy, but a quick wash and she'll be as good as new! Might do it tomorrow :)

Really impressed with it, will be my LSP of choice come next Oct / Nov.

What's this stuff then?

What's this stuff then?

Andy at Detailer sold me my one but I have no idea where to get it now. Probably a supplier in the UK
    I can ask Jesse if you wish?

http://www.wolfschemicals.com/wp-0nt.html

Wolf body wrap.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/wolf-39-s-chemicals-nano-body-wrap/prod_901.html

I got some G|techniq wheel armour and windscreen polish/sealant from a mate. Looking forward to using it. Love a good windscrren bead.

Ok and what is this gonna do for me? :)

Ask Curran and Vectra :p

Ask Curran and Vectra :p

I thought I just did :p

• Advertisement

I thought I just did :p

Nice shine.. Nice sealing.. Personally I find the car much easier to wash with Wolf's Nano-Bathe ( recommended to use on BW ).. I Coated my car in it Last November and got another coat about 2 weeks later.. Still beading like I waxed it yesterday. Loving the stuff.. Got a chance to clean the inside today and treat the leather.. Wind and drizzle then so not worth washing it... Hopefully tomorrow and next rain/drizzle i will take a few pics.
    Have a look here > http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=248670&highlight=body+wrap

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement