Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

What you want to remove the old wax is so clay bar and lubricant. The lube is basically a water based solution with a few additives do the clay bar can run smoothly over the paint. It erl remove any bonded contaminants in the paint....old wax, road grime, fallout etc. Paint work will be clean after this.

Then I suggest that you buy so polish that contains fillers....for example, Autoglym's Super Resin Polish. This will restore depth and shine, removing any oxidation, and as it contains fillers, it will help mask the swirls. Only way to remove swirls is by machine polishing.

One the car is polished using AG SRP its ready for protection. Something like AG High Definition Wax would bond really well to the SRP as both are the same manufacturer. AG Extra Gloss Protection would be a good sealant if you wanted to go down that road.

If you spend some time doing the above the car should look alot better! ;)

The pictures I took the other evening were shockingly bad.....so here are better ones!

Pretty bad eh!
    2012-01-25112849.jpg

2012-01-25112827.jpg

Gave her a quick wash!
    Thick snow foam, let dwell for 5 mins
    Rinse
    Wash, two bucket method
    Light snow foam mixture, rinsed almost straight away.
    Leaving.....

2012-01-25113012.jpg

Dried off using a large drying towel!
    About 25 mins, including wheels, resulted in this....

Wolfs Body Wrap is great! :D

2012-01-25120804.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Paintwork is looking Fresh on that Bee-Em .. Nice motor.;)

vectra wrote: »
    Paintwork is looking Fresh on that Bee-Em .. Nice motor.;)

Cheers, it's an 03, with 85k! Was in decent condition when I picked it up 18 months ago. Gave it a light machine polish when I got it home; it's actually in need of a light polish again and I've been considering actually doing a full correction on it, to get it looking like a mirror!
    But once it's had a good enchantment, probably enough for a daily driver, it's just a matter of using proper wash techniques to limit swirls and using correct products that don't harm your LSP (wax or sealant, Last Stage Protection)

Clayed it 3 or 4 times since, when putting on a fresh coat of protection, to keep it looking it's best and making it easy to wash and dry! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

^^ Good stuff. Looking very good.

Get her fully done. Those black E39s look amazing when fully finshed imo :)

• Advertisement

Curran wrote: »
    Cheers, it's an 03, with 85k! Was in decent condition when I picked it up 18 months ago. Gave it a light machine polish when I got it home; it's actually in need of a light polish again and I've been considering actually doing a full correction on it, to get it looking like a mirror!

What combo did you use?
    I have been doing the Toledo over the past week or so and trust me when I say the paint is shockingly bad on it, Getting good results on most panels but the bonnet will be a no hoper I'd say, riddled with stone chips.

What I have been using if the Megs MF pads on a DA with Carpro Fixer. Seems to work well. Finished off with Fixer on a polishing pad and topped with Bodywrap.
    Looking a lot better now in places.

Might be worth a try for you?
    Got it from Brian at Spirit Detailing.
    Here it is in action
    http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=74249

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I need some new drying towels, any suggestions,cheapest and best please. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Aldi have excellent MF cloths, 2 for €1.79 or something like that. They're the only cloths I use on cars and they last a long time considering they're washed each time I use them.

Best thing is you can come out of Aldi having spent about €12 and have LOADS of them :D

How big are they?

Got a new one recently from Cleancar.
    Part of a bundle
    http://www.cleancar.ie/towel-and-applicator-bundle.html

Good big towel

• Advertisement

What combo did you use?
    I have been doing the Toledo over the past week or so and trust me when I say the paint is shockingly bad on it, Getting good results on most panels but the bonnet will be a no hoper I'd say, riddled with stone chips.

What I have been using if the Megs MF pads on a DA with Carpro Fixer. Seems to work well. Finished off with Fixer on a polishing pad and topped with Bodywrap.
    Looking a lot better now in places.

I used Menzera Power Finish on a 3M finishing pad, on a rotary polisher....doesn't offer much correction on hard BMW paint, but it looks great. My paint was good so it resulted in maybe 80% correction, which I was happy with for a one stage polish! :)

Not used Megs MF on a DA system, but was actually intrigued, until I read on Detailing World, during an experiment, it removed 4um of clear coat, while using proper wet sanding techniques, the wet sanding removed only 2 um :eek:
    It's designed to give quicker correction with a DA, which isn't a bad thing, once the person who is using it understands the potential risks.....generally speaking, people would say it's difficult to do damage with a DA, as it didn't generate the heat...clearly not the case....the MF's pads generate alot of heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Ok guys, I'm considering getting my car properly detailed. There are a few scratches and some noticable swirl marks under certain light, there's also some marks/chips in the front/back bumpers that I wouldn't mind getting neatened up.

I know detailer.ie is out of action, so does anyone else know good places to get this done that doesn't cost the earth? And that wont have my child away from me for too long. :P

dar83 wrote: »
    Ok guys, I'm considering getting my car properly detailed. There are a few scratches and some noticable swirl marks under certain light, there's also some marks/chips in the front/back bumpers that I wouldn't mind getting neatened up.

I know detailer.ie is out of action, so does anyone else know good places to get this done that doesn't cost the earth? And that wont have my child away from me for too long. :P

There's a guy on here by the username TomMc who does it. Also, Curran (BMW above) does it too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

if your based in dublin you could try http://www.detailingshed.com/

those lads give nothing but love and attention and weirdly enough they actually love the thought of cleaning a car.

You mean some people don't ? ;)

Yeah sorry, probably should have stated I'd be looking for somewhere around the Dublin area.

I'll check out the link anyway, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

E39MSport wrote: »
    You mean some people don't ? ;)

:D

yeah my girlfriend for one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I see Lidl are doing a recharchgable rotary polisher today.... a few left in Marlay park. Dunno if good / bad / indifferent!

I see Lidl are doing a recharchgable rotary polisher today.... a few left in Marlay park. Dunno if good / bad / indifferent!

It's good as long as you're not expecting to do a paint correction with it!

Give Brian at http://spiritdetailing.com/

He is in Leixlip Co.Kildare. Should be close enough to you?

Would be handy fro removing polish/wax

• Advertisement

Dar....
    This is awkward, as I've asked for clarification, but got no reply and I dont want to get on the wrong side of the mods....but of you follow the advice of fellow boardies, you'll find your way to me! :)

E39MSport; hows that new purchase fairing out...viewed it during the week...mint...was trying to get figures to add up, but wasn't to be!
    Congrats...extremely jealous! :)

Has a few issues that need sorting but yes, very good for its age. You looking to swap a 5er and spons?

E39MSport wrote: »
    Has a few issues that need sorting but yes, very good for its age. You looking to swap a 5er and spons?

Yeah, I'd have to have let my 525i go in a swap deal...even though I didn't want to let it go....she wouldn't drive it :( so wouldn't have been able to sell hers!

Keeper I assume? If you are ever selling, give me first refusal! :)

Somebody on here said a few days ago that a keeper is a bloke between the posts :D

Curran wrote: »
    Dar....
    This is awkward, as I've asked for clarification, but got no reply and I dont want to get on the wrong side of the mods....

haha, don't want to get you in trouble, but if you're based in Dublin give me a PM with your URL/details for me to check out and you can be safe in the knowledge you aren't shilling. :)

Got a new one recently from Cleancar.
    Part of a bundle
    http://www.cleancar.ie/towel-and-applicator-bundle.html

Good big towel

Ended up getting this,very impressed

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/miracle-dryer-ultra-plush-25-x-36-/prod_362.html

Ya, they look good alright.
    What was delivery cost from them? I need to stock up on some Wolf's products

I think it was 9 pounds, got a few more things to make it worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

If your after detailing products try Cleancar.ie or detailingshed.ie the prices are usually better in euro than the British sites and the postage is a lot less. As for detailing services in Dublin I have used Detailing Shed and found them excellent. Its worth paying somebody to do a correction for you and after you concentrate on maintenance. Taking a DA or orbital to your paintwork is not for the faint hearted.

• Advertisement

If your after detailing products try Cleancar.ie

I buy 90% of my products form Cleancar but unfortunately they do not stock Wolf's chemical goodies

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement