Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Some scrathing around my engine bay from previous owner.. SRP masks it up alright.

Is it possible to polish this out? New to the whole detailing thing.
    Cheers

192491.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If your after detailing products try Cleancar.ie or detailingshed.ie the prices are usually better in euro than the British sites and the postage is a lot less. As for detailing services in Dublin I have used Detailing Shed and found them excellent. Its worth paying somebody to do a correction for you and after you concentrate on maintenance. Taking a DA or orbital to your paintwork is not for the faint hearted.

The problem is that the UK sites like cleanyourcar have a much higher amount of products in stock, so if you're looking for specific items, you'll probably have better chance ordering from the UK. And if you're ordering one thing, it makes sense to order it all and not pay stupid postage for one item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I have Nappa leather seats in my car but the drivers seat looks very shiny and used while the rest of the seats have a matt finish. Is there something I can get to put a matt finish on the original one. I got leather wipes in Dunnes and they improved it some bit but not the finish I want...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Is it possible to polish this out? New to the whole detailing thing

If you run your nail across the scrapes does your nail stick in the grooves? If so, if needs to be sanded down and repainted.

If not, you can polish them out use a cutting compound.

If you run your nail across the scrapes does your nail stick in the grooves? If so, if needs to be sanded down and repainted.

If not, you can polish them out use a cutting compound.

Cool -just went out and checked LOL and no my nail doesn't stick in the grove.

What compound would you recommend? How long does the comppund last or is it permanent?...Sorry about the n00b questions.

I'm thinking of getting a Kestrel DAS-6 kit: http://www.cleancar.ie/kestreldas-6completekit.html

Cheers

• Advertisement

Cool -just went out and checked LOL and no my nail doesn't stick in the grove.

What compound would you recommend? How long does the comppund last or is it permanent?...Sorry about the n00b questions.

I'm thinking of getting a Kestrel DAS-6 kit: http://www.cleancar.ie/kestreldas-6completekit.html

Cheers

To be honest, I haven't done, nor do I do this kind of work but I do know a bit about it.

The compound is just an agent to cut a tiny layer of lacquer off the top in which the scratches are. What you might be thinking of is a polish (Autoglym SRP) which hides light scratches and isn't permanent.

vectra did an excellent paint correction on his young lad's toledo so I suggest you ask him about compounds.

It's a pity detailer.ie is gone, haven't seen Andy around here in a long time. He would be the best person to ask but i'm afraid you'll have to settle for vectra :p

That kestrel kit is a great one for starting off. Also, are those water marks on that panel or lacquer chips?

To be honest, I haven't done, nor do I do this kind of work but I do know a bit about it.

The compound is just an agent to cut a tiny layer of lacquer off the top in which the scratches are. What you might be thinking of is a polish (Autoglym SRP) which hides light scratches and isn't permanent.

vectra did an excellent paint correction on his young lad's toledo so I suggest you ask him about compounds.

It's a pity detailer.ie is gone, haven't seen Andy around here in a long time. He would be the best person to ask but i'm afraid you'll have to settle for vectra :p

That kestrel kit is a great one for starting off. Also, are those water marks on that panel or lacquer chips?

Cheers man...oh and they are water marks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

eringobragh try Super Resin Polish first (halford 10 euro with a free cloth at the moment), it gets awards and rave reviews on detailing world, and that from guys that spend a week cleaning a single panel. It got mild abrasives to remove light scratches and fillers to fill the ones that it doesn't remove. It works by hand and machine. It a autoglym product but just cause its not made from mermaid scales and doesn't cost a fortune doesn't mean its not one of the best out there.

eringobragh try Super Resin Polish first (halford 10 euro with a free cloth at the moment), it gets awards and rave reviews on detailing world, and that from guys that spend a week cleaning a single panel. It got mild abrasives to remove light scratches and fillers to fill the ones that it doesn't remove. It works by hand and machine. It a autoglym product but just cause its not made from mermaid scales and doesn't cost a fortune doesn't mean its not one of the best out there.

Have it fitzme...it did a good job last time but I didn't put the EGP on afterwards so didn't last too long.

Is it worth getting a da polisher?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Have it fitzme...it did a good job last time but I didn't put the EGP on afterwards so didn't last too long.

Is it worth getting a da polisher?

SRP is only a temp fix. Fills more than it corrects to be fair. It is good but not good enough.
    That is the DA kit I used. Excellent machine.
    What car have you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I've got the DAS6 and I'm happy with it. Don't have any experience of other machines to compare against though. But the reviews are good for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,631 ✭✭✭✭listermint

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I have Nappa leather seats in my car but the drivers seat looks very shiny and used while the rest of the seats have a matt finish. Is there something I can get to put a matt finish on the original one. I got leather wipes in Dunnes and they improved it some bit but not the finish I want...

Get some doctor leather leather cleaner and clean all the seats properly. I have Nappa too. Those wipes are near to useless tbh.

Should that that sheen off the seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Some scrathing around my engine bay from previous owner.. SRP masks it up alright.

Is it possible to polish this out? New to the whole detailing thing.
    Cheers

192491.JPG

Judging by the photo - I would guess that 75% of that would come out with a reasonably light hit using a machine polisher. I reckon you'd get about another 15% with a 2nd or 3rd pass. The heavy looking scratch (approx 1/3rd up from the bottom), that has a second scratch parrallel looks pretty bad, but if you say that your finger nail doesnt catch, you'd make it alot less obvious with a machine polish, as when you do, it rounds the edges of the scratch and takes the harsh look off it.

As pointed out already, Autoglym Super Resin Polish is a fantastic product. Will give excellent results when hand polishing. The reason is, it contains mild abrasives, that help remove oxidisation and contaimination, bringing back depth and shine to your paint (all good) but it also contains fillers. It masks the scratches for a while, will eventually wash out and need to be redone...not a problem if you dont mind redoing it. So it gives the impression of correction, but the scratches will always be there. Does exactly what is says on the tin, and deserves its status as a great product.

Correction can be done by hand, but give then photo shown, you'd be at it for ages. Machine correction is the way forward.

Hope this helps! :)

A very diluted mixture of APC will work wonders for you! Aprrox 15 parts water to 1 part APC (doesnt have to be fancy APC, Daisy from Tesco or the likes). Spray on, gently scrub with a medium bristle nail brush or similar, wipe dry with a microfiber. This will take that very shiny look off the leather and give the matt look - condition if necessary!

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Dr Leather is supposed to be good, haven't tried it myself though. If you want an off the shelf cleaner, you should be able to pick up gliptone handy enough in a lot of car accessory shops (halfords used to do it, but I couldn't find it on their website)

http://www.liquidleather.com/car-shop.html

I use it on my car and it brings the seats up great, nice and matt. My process would be to wipe the seats with a damp cloth and then apply the cleaner with a soft nail brush (gently, don't scrub) let it dwell for a few minutes and then wipe it off with another damp cloth. You can also use the conditioner, but as your leather is probably sealed a lot of people say it isn't necessary to do that part.

vectra wrote: »
    SRP is only a temp fix. Fills more than it corrects to be fair. It is good but not good enough.
    That is the DA kit I used. Excellent machine.
    What car have you?

Its a Mk2 MR2.. I was thinking this:

http://www.cleancar.ie/kestreldas-6completekit.html

Should I add any of the optional waxes or is the kit good enough?
    Curran wrote: »
    Judging by the photo - I would guess that 75% of that would come out with a reasonably light hit using a machine polisher. I reckon you'd get about another 15% with a 2nd or 3rd pass. The heavy looking scratch (approx 1/3rd up from the bottom), that has a second scratch parrallel looks pretty bad, but if you say that your finger nail doesnt catch, you'd make it alot less obvious with a machine polish, as when you do, it rounds the edges of the scratch and takes the harsh look off it.

As pointed out already, Autoglym Super Resin Polish is a fantastic product. Will give excellent results when hand polishing. The reason is, it contains mild abrasives, that help remove oxidisation and contaimination, bringing back depth and shine to your paint (all good) but it also contains fillers. It masks the scratches for a while, will eventually wash out and need to be redone...not a problem if you dont mind redoing it. So it gives the impression of correction, but the scratches will always be there. Does exactly what is says on the tin, and deserves its status as a great product.

Correction can be done by hand, but give then photo shown, you'd be at it for ages. Machine correction is the way forward.

Hope this helps! :)

Cheers man, I used too much SRP last time and it went a bit fluffy if you know what I mean..reckon the polisher is my Valentines Day present to myself :pac:

Using SRP and the DAS-6 what sort of speed / cutting pad should I use of have you a link to the technique?

Cheers.

Looking at this maybe there should be a detailing subsection in the Motors forum, its a very popular and growing pasttime and there are a good few professional detailers on that can give advise. A single thread is not enough...off to make the suggestion

Its a Mk2 MR2.. I was thinking this:

http://www.cleancar.ie/kestreldas-6completekit.html

Should I add any of the optional waxes or is the kit good enough?

Cheers man, I used too much SRP last time and it went a bit fluffy if you know what I mean..reckon the polisher is my Valentines Day present to myself :pac:

Using SRP and the DAS-6 what sort of speed / cutting pad should I use of have you a link to the technique?

Cheers.

That DAS 6 is the one I used. Exact same kit and is more than capable of getting great results.

Start light on a test patch.
    ie.
    Black pad + light cut polish.
    Step up from there if needs be.
    it depends a lot on the paint condition overall.

Looking at this maybe there should be a detailing subsection in the Motors forum, its a very popular and growing pasttime and there are a good few professional detailers on that can give advise. A single thread is not enough...off to make the suggestion

The single thread makes it difficult to categorise sub topics etc.

Thanks.

Halfords are selling Zymol Leather cleaner. I used it over the weekend and it's pretty good at lifting dirt relatively easily.

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    That DAS 6 is the one I used. Exact same kit and is more than capable of getting great results.

Start light on a test patch.
    ie.
    Black pad + light cut polish.
    Step up from there if needs be.
    it depends a lot on the paint condition overall.

Cheers man, I take it the 3.5" pads are for the door pillars, etc.

Is it worth getting any of the wax options with the Polisher,

i.e:

Chemical Guys - XXX Carnauba Wax (+;20.00)
    Chemical Guys - Black Light (+;20.00)

etc,etc,etc :pac:

Loads of good threads out there like this: -

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=235719

see link lower down in above, here for ease
    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

I made the suggestion a while ago but was told no :(

Cheers man, I take it the 3.5" pads are for the door pillars, etc.

Is it worth getting any of the wax options with the Polisher,

i.e:

Chemical Guys - XXX Carnauba Wax (+;20.00)
    Chemical Guys - Black Light (+;20.00)

etc,etc,etc :pac:

3.5 I would use for pillars and tight bumper areas.

Larry or John will advise oyu on what best wax to use. That is if you want to use wax, I use Sealants now instead

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I made the suggestion a while ago but was told no :(

More than welcome to discuss it here.

Is it worth getting any of the wax options

Chemical Guys Pete's 53 or CGs Black Light would look great on that blue

There are certain waxes that have additives that claim to be "colour charged", meaning they will help bring out the colour....so you'd have waxes ideal for silver / grey, orange / yellow, reds, blue, dark blue / black. But once the prep work has been good, a wax charged for dark blue / black, will look great on silver! Preparation is the key to the wet look finish.

This thread is loaded with info - good stuff :)

See my sig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

The best info i've read on cleaning leather is here:

http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-faq-maintenance-repair/144182-how-professionally-maintain-protect-your-leather-seats-so-they-never-crack.html

The pictures seem to be missing out of it these days but its all spelt out anyway.

There's no special stuff to give leather a matt finish, the shinyness is grease & dirt, a good clean will sort it out. Leather cleaner + soft bristle nail brush + microfibre cloth = clean matt leather.

• Advertisement

Matt finish on leather I use Chemical Guys Liquid leather. I don't use creams as it makes them sticky and shiny. The leather cleaner and conditioner from dynamics is top class I have used it many times and there kits for redoing leather and repairing cracks are fantastic. See here http://www.dynamixdyes.com/leather-care-products-12-c.asp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement