Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

mickdw wrote: »
    I thought you had a bad back vectra?

Yeah but I was going to use my hands to sand it not my back :pac:

.... back pain/back issues manifest themselves in all manner of different ways, I knew one or two folk over the years who had back trouble who got up to various activities (weight lifting, playing golf etc etc) that on the face of it you'd imagine they shouldn't be doing but it was often with the encouragement of their medical practitioners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

only 9,877 replies to go 'til we have our own subforum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

E39MSport wrote: »
    only 9,877 replies to go 'til we have our own subforum :D

DO you remember how the DIY/Maintenance subforum started? People were asked if they would be interested in it! Why not this for Detailing sub forum :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

And the DIY forum still isn't being used properly. There's still a truck load of threads coming in which shouldn't be here at all. I'd concentrate on getting this forum recognised and used for what it was supposed to be used for before wanting to dilute the Motors forum further. My 2 cents anyway.

• Advertisement

Owen wrote: »
    And the DIY forum still isn't being used properly. There's still a truck load of threads coming in which shouldn't be here at all. I'd concentrate on getting this forum recognised and used for what it was supposed to be used for before wanting to dilute the Motors forum further. My 2 cents anyway.

Wasn't it set up for people to post DIY How To threads rather than people asking question which is what the main Motors forum is for?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Exactly, and we still get dozens of threads like 'Can someone recommend a mechanic', or 'How much will I have to pay to have this fixed'.

Anyway, it was too bloody wet today to get anything done and when it stopped it was too cold and too much beer in the fridge looking to be detailed....

Anyway, it was too bloody wet today to get anything done and when it stopped it was too cold and too much beer in the fridge looking to be detailed....

You should have done what I did before, I drove the car half under the front porch so it was covered, polished and waxed that side then moved it to get the other side covered :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

vectra wrote: »
    Yeah but I was going to use my hands to sand it not my back :pac:

How silly am I :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

How silly am I :rolleyes:

Not sure really :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

vectra wrote: »
    Not sure really :D

I think I have you confused with someone who has a severe longterm disability. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You should have done what I did before, I drove the car half under the front porch so it was covered, polished and waxed that side then moved it to get the other side covered :D

Do it in the rain, stops the shampoo drying anyway :D

Do it in the rain, stops the shampoo drying anyway :D

True but what happens when it comes to waxing???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I think I have you confused with someone who has a severe longterm disability. Apologies.

Ease up on the personal comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Anyone up for a detailing day in Dublin? I have a car I can volunteer... :D

Confab wrote: »
    Anyone up for a detailing day in Dublin? I have a car I can volunteer... :D

You volunteering a (heated) premises too ? :D

You volunteering a (heated) premises too ? :D

How's an underground carpark in North Dublin? I could probably heat it by burning a few 316i's though. Maybe an Octavia or two.

Couldn't look at all the stuff in the box any longer so had a pop at the Bora.

The Lance: -

lance.jpg

Foamed: -

foamed.jpg

The result: -

result.jpg

I used the ValetPro stuff at about 1:15 and was very happy with it despite the fact that it was my first attempt. Stuck very well to the paint work and did a great job at lifting the dirt.

Great stuff.

Also used the Sonus Der Wunder drying towels and while the yare very good, you need 2 of them. One for initial dry and second to completely dry.

I also misted the car with Last Touch spray detailer before rinsing and again after rinsing to aid drying and appearance.

Oooh shiny. You missed a tiny detail though...

Detailing a Bora is like gold plating a sink plunger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I also misted the car with Last Touch spray detailer before rinsing and again after rinsing to aid drying and appearance.

That stuff is the biz.
    Confab wrote: »
    Oooh shiny. You missed a tiny detail though...

Detailing a Bora is like gold plating a sink plunger.

why?whats wrong with it?When does it become acceptable for someone to take care of their car?

Yeah ;)

I don't even get what that means but it sounds a bit like an insult :)

It's in retty good nick and shines up well. The E39 needs a serious amount of work and was heading out so will tackle it this weekend hopefully.

Due to the amount of work required on it I will only go as far as: -

- foam, power hose
    - body solvent
    - shampoo, dry
    - clay
    - shampoo, dry
    - Megs paint cleaner
    - bond/seal
    - AG SRP
    - Sonus Glanz

No DA work.

I don't even get what that means but it sounds a bit like an insult :)

It's in pretty good nick and shines up well.

It certainly does, I'm just illogically biased against Boras.

Anyway, as some of you already know, It has already been detailed to within an inch of its life .... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Okay, so I'm sitting here drinking a cup of tea to warm myself up, its freezing.

I've been absolutely pummeled with college work for the last few week and my mental health and my car have taken the brunt of it :P

The car looks as rough as a badgers arse at the moment, filthy on the inside. Outside covered in dust, bird cack and road dirt. Wheels are nearly the same colour as the tyres with brake dust.

So, yesterday was the end of said college work and now its time I repaid my trusty steed with some TLC after the last few months of abuse (although it did have its oil and filters changed) :P

The thoughts of heading out to that ice aren't fun but I know I need to give the car one last prep before winter truly sets in. I was planning on waxing it but Im not sure if its too cold to wax. I have a pot of Dodo Juice hard wax and I think it may be too cold for the wax to properly work onto the body work.

What has been your experience as regards winter prep work?

Also considering taking the wheels off and cleaning the backs of them after VoodooMelon's lovely work on his wheels. I reckon there is a couple of mm worth of dust at the back of mine.

While the wheels will be off I'd then consider giving the hubs a lick of black hammerite to seal them and also scrape "carpet" of filth out of the wheel arches.

Any tips for sub zero car detailing (besides tea and gloves :P )

While you have your wheels off to clean the insides (best thing to use for that is TUrtleWax Wheel Clean), you may aswell take off all the tar. For this, I would use Holts Tar remover along with one of those green wirey dish cleaning pads.

I'm not too sure about whether or not the cold will have an effect on wax working properly. TomMc might be able to adivse you on that ;)

I've been out washing and wet-waxing my car all morning. The cold didn't have any effect on the wet wax but my god did it have an effect on my hands :(

Happy detailing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Ohhh and lads.....I have to second the posts about not rushing out to wet sand a car!
    Its not necessary, the majority of the time, and you could end up doing costly damage - if you feel you want to do it, please do so on a test panel and practice many times before attempting, on your own (anyways), pride and joy! :)

Removing orange peel or in exteme cases removing bird etching is the only real need to wet sand....otherwise, patience and a few passes with a dual action polisher, with a heavy cut polish, on a cutting pad will suffice - again, try on a test panel before rushing out to the garage or driveway! ;)

Howdy Curran.

My opinion on your post is that it could do with a bot more detail on products used, methods etc rather than a here's what we (our business) can do :)

This is a DIY forum and while I respect your drive and don't want to back seat mod, you appear to be advertising rather than contributing.

Howdy Curran.

My opinion on your post is that it could do with a bot more detail on products used, methods etc rather than a here's what we (our business) can do :)

This is a DIY forum and while I respect your drive and don't want to back seat mod, you appear to be advertising rather than contributing.

Now that you mention it :o

I agree

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@ Curran - please don't advertise on here without talking to someone first

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement