Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Ok and what is this gonna do for me? :)

Well put it this way.....

Didnt get around to washing my car, and its totally bogging, not washed in about 3 weeks and have to use a road where a tractor has been in and out of a field, so the road is destroyed :mad:.....but fellow car nutter passed comment on it! :)

Me: Awwwh, dont even look at it! The state of it!!
    Him: Yeah, but look at the beading on it - did you do it recently?
    Me: Nope, back in Nov, only been washed three times since I think!
    Him: Even the shine off the car on the top half is amazing! What did you use?
    Me: Wolfs Body Wrap
    Him: Gotta get me some of that

There you have it - its sells itself!! :D

Car is easy to wash, looks great and impressive beading :p Gotta love beading! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Ok, must look into this a bit more so :)

If I remember, Ill get a picture of the dirt of the car :o and the beading (if its raining) later and post them up!! ;)

Curran wrote: »
    If I remember, Ill get a picture of the dirt of the car :o and the beading (if its raining) later and post them up!! ;)

I'm guessing it's the wrong time of year to be looking into it! :p

Goes on over/under the wax?

Curran wrote: »

Neither, it's a sealant ;)

• Advertisement

These mystic answers aren't helping :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

This is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

You don't use wax.
    It is totally independent.

Wash your car with washup liquid and apc mixed to try remove any traces of wax/etc.

What I did then was Polished the whole car with Chemical Guys P40 cleaner polish ( I am sure there are alternatives out there )
    Then you are supposed to give the car a wipe down with IPA to remove any remaining contaminants, I skipped this bit :)

Then get a small section of a MF cloth ( I cut a piece about 2" square. Put a few drops on the cloth and rub it on making sure to cover every inch of the car ( sounds more time consuming than it is )
    15~30 mins later rub it off.
    The reason for coat 2 would be to ensure full coverage.

That's it.. Car stays cleaner longer and easier to wash ( with Nano-Bathe when you need to .. Plenty of beading for a long time .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Morning all, I'm currently looking into buying the above case off ebay for about €42. It seems like a good deal but I'm wondering if I could do better. What's it like ordering from the UK websites (i.e cleanyourcar.co.uk) in terms of price and quality. Would cleanyourcar be a good website to buy from?

Have about €70 set aside for some decent stuff, so any ideas where's the best place to buy from?

Cheers in advance lads!

P.S Link for Valet case http://www.ebay.ie/itm/AUTOGLYM-VALET-CASE-10-PRODUCTS-FREE-POSTAGE-/370544550041?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item56462d2099#ht_2034wt_1043

166man wrote: »
    Morning all, I'm currently looking into buying the above case off ebay for about €42. It seems like a good deal but I'm wondering if I could do better. What's it like ordering from the UK websites (i.e cleanyourcar.co.uk) in terms of price and quality. Would cleanyourcar be a good website to buy from?

Have about €70 set aside for some decent stuff, so any ideas where's the best place to buy from?

Cheers in advance lads!

P.S Link for Valet case http://www.ebay.ie/itm/AUTOGLYM-VALET-CASE-10-PRODUCTS-FREE-POSTAGE-/370544550041?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item56462d2099#ht_2034wt_1043

You'll get a better response here, thread moved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Ok guys, I think Im next going to tackle the engine bay for a proper shiny clean.

Any advice or tips on what would be best to use for it?

I'm not going to go crazy on removing things specifically for cleaning, but will be doing my best with everything in situ to get it looking tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

dar83 wrote: »
    Ok guys, I think Im next going to tackle the engine bay for a proper shiny clean.

Any advice or tips on what would be best to use for it?

I'm not going to go crazy on removing things specifically for cleaning, but will be doing my best with everything in situ to get it looking tidy.

There's a few ways to do it. Personally the way I do it is this:

> Get the engine warmed up to full operating temperature and let it cool down. This is only necessary if say you are doing it first thing in the morning and the car has been sitting there all night. If you've been driving it already, just make sure it's not too hot.

> Cover all electrics (especially the battery) with cling film and plastic bags

> Spray on whatever degreaser you have. I use Meguiar's engine degreaser but there's a lot of different ones out there.

> Using a toothbrush, scrub any areas that are mucky, making sure that you are happy with everything.

> Spray on some more degreaser if it has kind of dried or run off

> Using a pressure washer, spray down the engine. It's VERY important to stand well back and do not have the lance close to anything you are spraying. You want to get it so that it's removing the suds and dirt but won't damage anything. If you would prefer not to use a pressure washer, a garden hose with spray nozzle thing will work but won't be as effective. You may have to go over it again or just spend longer with the toothbrush.

> Let it drain for about 5 minutes

> Start up the car, let it run for another 5 minutes and DO NOT REV IT (since you own a gorgeous ST, this part will be hard :P )

> When you're happy enough that it's reached operating temp (depending on how long this all takes you), take it for a smooth drive and don't rev the nuts off it.

> Dry any remaining water off with a microfibre cloth

> Dress it with something like Meguiar's engine dressing or Aerospace 303 protectant

> Admire your new engine bay :D

E39MSport wrote: »
    This is handy.

I've started a new thread for this here

That's quite the effort for a reply. If I could thank twice I would. Thanks a lot. ;)

I'll have to go Halfords/Online shopping again for some engine bay stuff. Damn!... :D

That's quite the effort for a reply. If I could thank twice I would. Thanks a lot. ;)

I'll have to go Halfords/Online shopping again for some engine bay stuff. Damn!... :D

I hope you'll be at the next meet, would love a spin in the ST. I was talking to you just before you and your mate left and didn't want to ask :o

If your engine bay is not that dirty ( No oil etc ) a diluted mix of APC is brilliant as well. just make sure to rinse off fully and dress all plastics. ( as a quick dressing I often use wd40 ) :D

Ah no worries, sure I'll try be at the next one anyway, no need to be shy. :D

I was admiring the MPS myself quite a bit, is even nicer in the flesh than pictures, they dont do it justice. Lovely looking motor (and that's coming from someone who doesn't like the 3MPS looks at all :P ) and similar to the ST, looks just different enough from a standard model to give it something special. Black suits it perfectly.

vectra wrote: »
    If your engine bay is not that dirty ( No oil etc ) a diluted mix of APC is brilliant as well. just make sure to rinse off fully and dress all plastics. ( as a quick dressing I often use wd40 ) :D

:rolleyes:

:pac:

Ah no worries, sure I'll try be at the next one anyway, no need to be shy. :D

I was admiring the MPS myself quite a bit, is even nicer in the flesh than pictures, they dont do it justice. Lovely looking motor (and that's coming from someone who doesn't like the 3MPS looks at all :P ) and similar to the ST, looks just different enough from a standard model to give it something special. Black suits it perfectly.

It's not that I was shy, I just didn't want to keep you on longer than you wanted ;)

Cheers :D

The reason the pictures don't do it justice is because I'm sh!te at taking photos haha

You lost me with the eyes comment?

vectra wrote: »
    You lost me with the eyes comment?

As you know, a lot of people think that WD-40 is an oil when it's actually a water displacer. Hence the :pac:

• Advertisement

As you know, a lot of people think that WD-40 is an oil when it's actually a water displacer. Hence the :pac:

As such yes but not dirty mucky oil. Spray it on a plastic part under your bonnet and wipe it off. Check it for yourself,
    Actually, hold on there a sec..don't go. I have a pic of my '02 Mondeo engine that I cleaned and sprayed plastics with WD40. Trust me, it does work.

100_0047.jpg

I never doubted that it would work, I was just pointing out the irony :P

Metz is pretty much spot on with the engine clean up method!

If its light dirt and dust - any APC will be good, try it at 10:1 (water:APC) first, if not strong enough, try 4:1, if not stong enough, move onto a proper degreaser.
    Obviously for heavily soiled, greasy engines, go straight for the degreaser, rinse, APC, rinse and she'll be good for plastic treatment. Aerospace 303 is great but expensive for under the bonnet, but any bumper trim stuff will work, doesnt have to be fancy!

As said, make sure all electrics are well covered - the altenator being a very important one!
    Tin foil works well for covering connecters at the lights etc as sometimes cling film can be awkward to wrap tightly!

When you do attack it - post up pictures of the results! :)

Re: Wolfs Body Wrap
    Didnt get a chance to take a picture - it rained on the way to work, but stopped 2-3 mins before arriving and the car was bone dry, such is the beading! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Is there any way to remove swirl marks other than a clay bar/buffer?

BDJW wrote: »

Can't remove them with a clay bar ;)

A buffer is really the only way because doing it by hand isn't fast enough to break down the chemicals in a swirl remover/polish.

Only 3 options really

1) borrow a DA

2) Buy a DA

3) Pay someone to do it

Unfortunately a Machine Buff is the only answer

You could polish the car by hand with Super Resin Polish, it will restore depth and shine, won't remove heavy swirls, but it contains fillers, which will mask the swirls for a while. It's quite effective! For best results I'd clay the car!

Removing swirls permanently requires machine polishing...hand polish could be done to remove very light swirls, but your arms will be hanging off you! DA, machine polisher, is the safest option for an inexperienced polisher.

Said I'd take pics of Wolfs Body Wrap...
    Sorry about quality...camera phone, and in a rush earlier!

Absolutely filthy
    2012-01-24181339.jpg

Beading on bonnet
    2012-01-24181323.jpg

Roof
    2012-01-24181352.jpg

Due to give it a wash tomorrow...will stick up some before and afters of that also! ;)

Bought one of these yesterday to give it a go as the price was right for experimenting. Hand application and removing of wax/polish was beginning to annoy me. Even though it does give you a decent upper body workout. We'll see how this does at removing the stuff now and what kind of shine I can get out of it...

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_188980_langId_-1_categoryId_212473

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Hi folks, am looking to spruce up the vehi-cal a bit. The paint needs some attention as it has some dulling in it. It was waxed and then left under a cover for a year or so.
    I'd like to get rid of any old wax then get a decent polish and wax at it I guess.
    I don't have an electric polisher, but random guy #103 from the green car wash place in Carrickmines said I needed to get that done. I would like to avoid that in case it went wrong, what do you think ?

What sort of products would you recommend from cleanyourcar?
    Also some nice smelly stuff for the interior

Very appreciative of any advice.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement