Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Oh, and put the clay in some clean warm water before hand and perhaps once or twice during your work - helps soften it up.

Re: polish, the AG Super Resin is decent enough for a temp solution and easy to come by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Oh, so there's a difference between a wax and a polish?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

E39MSport wrote: »
    I'd remove the tar (if any) from about half way down the doors with AG Intensive Tar Remover or similar. Perhaps over the arches too or whever it gathers on your car.

Obviously wash it and dry it. :)

That stuff isn't worth using at all, you'd be better with water.

Holtz tar remover or Tardis

I won't pretend to know the definitive answer :)

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=199658

You'd be looking for somethign with a bit of bond and seal to it like AG SRP

That stuff isn't worth using at all, you'd be better with water.

Holtz tar remover or Tardis

I thought it was alright but it was the only one I had tried. Don't think water is better than it :)

I've got a load of Megs Body Solvent looking at me - I hope that's good tack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

My stuff arrived. :D

I think I might actually give the inaugural Foam wash to my dads car tomorrow. Poor thing hasn't seen a hose since he got it about 18 months ago. There are actually hand prints in the paintwork. If the weather permits it of course.

Might try and take some before and after shots as well, if they're worth doing. It'll be a lot of work anyway, I'm already not looking forward to the after foam part of the job. :(

Confab wrote: »
    Oh, so there's a difference between a wax and a polish?

I think you were talking about tackling the swirl marks on the Alfa?

After the clay run over it with some Megs Paint cleaner then Super Resin maybe. The cleaner should improve the look of the paint a bit.

dar83 wrote: »

I think I might actually give the inaugural Foam wash to my dads car tomorrow. Poor thing hasn't seen a hose since he got it about 18 months ago. There are actually hand prints in the paintwork. If the weather permits it of course.

Might try and take some before and after shots as well, if they're worth doing. It'll be a lot of work anyway, I'm already not looking forward to the after foam part of the job. :(

Last thing you said was 80 sheets worth. What you get? (Foam obvisouly)

... put a higher foam concentrate in if you are lifting heavy dirt.

I think you were talking about tackling the swirl marks on the Alfa?

After the clay run over it with some Megs Paint cleaner then Super Resin maybe. The cleaner should improve the look of the paint a bit.

Yeah but I don't really have the money to be spending it on stuff like that. In reality the best I can do is wash, detar, clay and polish so it doesn't get any worse until I have the money for stuff to really improve the paint. I'll be going to Halfords tonight.

Get some paint cleaner while you're there ;)

Pi55 easy to apply and buff off. Makes a huge difference to older paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

I have the AG HD Cleanser wonder if its any good? The weather is awful now and I haven't washed it in about 2 months!

Ended up with the Foam Lance (Karcher fitting), 5L of Valet Pro - PH Neutral Snow Foam, a Miracle Dryer - Ultra Plush 25" x 36", Autoglym - Instant Tyre Dressing and a Meguiars Tyre Dressing Applicator.

:)

I already have a selection of AG shampoo/polish/alloy cleaner. And a selection of TurtleWax shampoo/wax/wheel cleaner. Microfiber wash mitt, exterior/interior microfibre cloths and interior Polishes etc... Although nothing fancy for the interior yet, I usually keep it quite clean as it is and it's usually me in the car 95% of the time anyway.

One last question - what kind of cloths should I use? I've been used the fluffy yellow cotton ones from Halford but they seem to generate a fair bit of static that attracts more dust. Any cheap alternatives?

Yeah but I don't really have the money to be spending it on stuff like that. In reality the best I can do is wash, detar, clay and polish so it doesn't get any worse until I have the money for stuff to really improve the paint. I'll be going to Halfords tonight.

I'm guessing from previous posts I've read of yours this will be Coolock Halfords?

My advice is know what you're looking for before you go, the guys there are a little bit useless when it comes to knowledge on details.

I might actually pop in there myself on the way home from work to pick up some of that paint restorer stuff for the epic task I have ahead of me tomorrow.

One last question - what kind of cloths should I use? I've been used the fluffy yellow cotton ones from Halford but they seem to generate a fair bit of static that attracts more dust. Any cheap alternatives?

A roll of Terry cloth, white stuff, aka mutton cloth, iirc they used to wrap pigs up in similar tack.

A polish is slightly abrasive so will work out light scratches etc, a wax just seals the paint, it won't really bring back any colour or remove contaminants etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I'm guessing from previous posts I've read of yours this will be Coolock Halfords?

My advice is know what you're looking for before you go, the guys there are a little bit useless when it comes to knowledge on details.

I might actually pop in there myself on the way home from work to pick up some of that paint restorer stuff for the epic task I have ahead of me tomorrow.

They are having a bit of a soft opening at the minute, but there is a lad a few minutes away from there (beside the coolock credit union) setting up an online detailing store. I think they are due to get stock in early next week.

They are having a bit of a soft opening at the minute, but there is a lad a few minutes away from there (beside the coolock credit union) setting up an online detailing store. I think they are due to get stock in early next week.

That's good to know. The more places around the area the better for me. Do you know will he be doing online ordering only or will he have a collection service as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

That's good to know. The more places around the area the better for me. Do you know will he be doing online ordering only or will he have a collection service as well?

He is a very active forum member on BMW-Driver.net and very helpful. I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem meeting anyone to collect products. I've dropped him a pm on there to let him know about this thread (not sure if he is a member here or not)

There are actually two of them setting it up, but I'm just mentioning Chris as he is the one that lives in Artane/Coolock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Yeah the two lads will be up & running Detailingshed in the next week or so. They are real enthusiasts & have a good few examples of cars they've done over on BMW-Driver. Just search for Bill & Ben :P (That's not their real name hence :P)

RoverJames wrote: »
    A roll of Terry cloth, white stuff, aka mutton cloth, iirc they used to wrap pigs up in similar tack.

A polish is slightly abrasive so will work out light scratches etc, a wax just seals the paint, it won't really bring back any colour or remove contaminants etc.

Ah, muslin cloth, I have that. Good idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Jaysus - we're doomed before it's off the ground. He's well grumpy :D

He might be well grumpy but he is being very obliging regarding this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Use warm water when you are diluting the foam.

Double streanght for first time.
    Ended up with the Foam Lance (Karcher fitting), 5L of Valet Pro - PH Neutral Snow Foam, a Miracle Dryer - Ultra Plush 25" x 36", Autoglym - Instant Tyre Dressing and a Meguiars Tyre Dressing Applicator.

:)

I already have a selection of AG shampoo/polish/alloy cleaner. And a selection of TurtleWax shampoo/wax/wheel cleaner. Microfiber wash mitt, exterior/interior microfibre cloths and interior Polishes etc... Although nothing fancy for the interior yet, I usually keep it quite clean as it is and it's usually me in the car 95% of the time anyway.

What AG polish do you have?
    If you have the one with the red label you are sorted ( SRP )
    Try to get some Microfibre cloths for buffing off the polish

Yep, it's the Super Resin Polish. :)

Thank you Tesco for the half price AG products about a month ago. Stocked up!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Do you have the one with the gold label? Extra gloss I think it is called?
    Put a coat of this over the SRP
    that will keep you sorted for a while

Not sure about that one, I might pick up some tomorrow if you'd recommend it? Need to get a couple of other smaller things in Halfords anyway I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Get some turtlewax 'wax it wet'. That way if it starts to drizzle which 9/10 will happen, you can buff this on in a few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Moved here as it's more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Hal1 wrote: »
    Get some turtlewax 'wax it wet'. That way if it starts to drizzle which 9/10 will happen, you can buff this on in a few minutes.

I've been using this for years. It's excellent stuff.

Be aware though, it's only a booster wax and won't do much to a car that hasn't been properly waxed ;)

Ordered a tub of Swissvax Mirage :)

Anyone get anything done over the weekend?

I couldn't get time and the weather looked ideal on Saturday whe I had to leave :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Ordered a tub of Swissvax Mirage :)

Anyone get anything done over the weekend?

I couldn't get time and the weather looked ideal on Saturday whe I had to leave :(

Yeah- brother in law bought a Saab 9-3 on Tuesday on which I changed thermostat on Friday. Then I shampooed the seats (with Woodies carpet shampoo machine (rent for 20 a day, use washing powder as detergent).

Then I minterised it "in the rain" using wool mop and Chemical Guys P40.

Dried it out and applied Autoglym sealant under a garage canopy as the rain continued and the minterising was complete. Car feels like it is worth at least 1500 more now that it doesn't stink of smoke and now the body gleams. Sorry no photos.

Knackered after all that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement