Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

pconn062 wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of the New Balance 1400 racing flat. Looking for something that is a little more substance than my current Saucony a6. For road racing up to 10k max. Other suggestions welcome too.

I've 500 miles on a pair of V5's and 360 on another plus a handful of miles on a pair of V6's.

It's a very versatile shoe and my go to mid mileage, longer tempo and MSR/LSR runs. If I could only have one shoe, this would be it.

The V5 has a nice 3D print seamless upper, which is very comfortable and for me required no breaking in. It has a 10mm offset but sits relatively low, which makes the transition from easy to faster paces pretty smooth.
    The sole is pretty grippy and I've had no issues on wet surfaces, it does, however have a diamond cut out where I've grabbed a stone off-road before.
    Fits like the Boston 6 and most Adizeros for me, so go up half a size.
    Weighs in at 221gms for a size 10.

The V6 has some minor changes to the upper in an effort to lose a little weight, real-world loss is 10gms, it now runs truer to size, so back to a size 10 for me.
    They've slimed down the tongue and have used a different matterial up top, these combined have dropped the weight, but have sacrificed a little comfort. Time will tell once I've put a few more miles on them, but they don't have the same 'out of the boxness' as the V5's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

thefa wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice - I'm an overpronator when it comes to runner and have had a good pair of stability Brooks runners for the last 5 years that have served me well but are in need of replacing. Typically do 5-10K runs. Have a couple of pairs that I have my eye on but they are neutral rather than stability runners.

Am I as well sticking with some new stability runners or risk the neutral support with an insole?

I have trained for/ran a couple of marathons in Brooks Adrenaline 17's & 18's and decided to try the NB Fresh Foam Vongo on the advice of the NB shoe guru at the London expo. Lovely comfortable shoe, plenty of cushioning and as NB say "with a touch of stability" but having worn them in 4 x 20 milers and had a really bad run in each of them I went back to the Adrenaline 18's because I found that my legs couldnt cope with the 4mm drop in the Vongo as compared with the 12mm in the Adrenaline. I was finishing those runs with sore everything from the Achillies up to the glutes. The Adrenaline are off to Berlin next weekend....heres hoping all will be well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I've 500 miles on a pair of V5's and 360 on another plus a handful of miles on a pair of V6's.

It's a very versatile shoe and my go to mid mileage, longer tempo and MSR/LSR runs. If I could only have one shoe, this would be it.

The V5 has a nice 3D print seamless upper, which is very comfortable and for me required no breaking in. It has a 10mm offset but sits relatively low, which makes the transition from easy to faster paces pretty smooth.
    The sole is pretty grippy and I've had no issues on wet surfaces, it does, however have a diamond cut out where I've grabbed a stone off-road before.
    Fits like the Boston 6 and most Adizeros for me, so go up half a size.
    Weighs in at 221gms for a size 10.

The V6 has some minor changes to the upper in an effort to lose a little weight, real-world loss is 10gms, it now runs truer to size, so back to a size 10 for me.
    They've slimed down the tongue and have used a different matterial up top, these combined have dropped the weight, but have sacrificed a little comfort. Time will tell once I've put a few more miles on them, but they don't have the same 'out of the boxness' as the V5's.

Great post BB, thanks a lot. Bit the bullet and bought a pair of 1400v6's for €80 or so. I ran a 5k at the weekend in a pair of saucony a6's and my legs were in bits after it, not for the first time. Great shoe but just can't hack hard racing on the road in them, so will keep the for track races and sessions. Hope the 1400's can do the job now.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

just got a pair of Adidas Bostons, after a couple of years of Brooks Launch. The current Launch feels a bit clunkier, and my last pair of Launch 4s are getting a bit old, so needed something new for the marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Hey folks,

finally getting my hands on some new running shoes next week!

Any suggestions as to how best to break in a new pair of running shoes? These will be my marathon runners and am currently in week 12 (ARGH!!!) of the Boards training plan.

:)

Walk around in them, start with some shorter runs, only do longer runs when you've had two or three comfortable short runs

RayCun wrote: »
    Walk around in them, start with some shorter runs, only do longer runs when you've had two or three comfortable short runs

Thanks Ray.

As for my current pair, I'm pretty certain that by now I have well exceeded their suggested maximum mileage. Been running in them since last November. :(
    Is it simply a case of retiring them and demoting them to 'general household chores' status?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭4Ad

boydkev wrote: »

Thanks.
    I just bought 2 pairs, I love them so.much..

coogy wrote: »
    Thanks Ray.

As for my current pair, I'm pretty certain that by now I have well exceeded their suggested maximum mileage. Been running in them since last November. :(
    Is it simply a case of retiring them and demoting them to 'general household chores' status?

See how they feel after you've worn your new pair - do they feel flat and dead?

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    See how they feel after you've worn your new pair - do they feel flat and dead?

Ok, thanks. I did notice a massive difference when I tried them on in the shop but that could just be down to the design?

Ok, thanks. I did notice a massive difference when I tried them on in the shop but that could just be down to the design?

After you've worn your new shoes for a week or two, they're going to feel normal.
    So, if you go for a run in your new shoes on a Monday, and your old shoes on Tuesday, do you feel sore during or after your Tuesday run?

There are no fixed limits on these things. It's just a feel for the level of cushioning you want/need in a pair of shoes, and whether a pair still provides that level. That's hard to judge in isolation, usually easier when you can compare to a new pair.

Finally!

20180920_164817_zpsyli49qt9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭seanin4711

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

opus wrote: »
    Picked up a pair of Lidl's finest running wear a few weeks back, even though I was in the shop at 8:05am on my way to work there was a total of one pair in my size there! Think they cost < €30 and seem fine although a little heavier than the DS trainers I binned as they had almost no sole left in them.

2hqz515.jpg

And 1677k later they are still going strong!

461773.jpg

Wearing a bit more on the sole of one shoe but I've an awkward running style due to a tractor driving over my right foot when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

1677k! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Finally!

20180920_164817_zpsyli49qt9.jpg

Brooks ravenna ya??? How do you find them so far???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Anyone know when the Asics GT-2000 7 will be out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Anyone know when the Asics GT-2000 7 will be out?

They're promoting them on Asics social media (US account) and store. Dunno how long it takes for new products to come to a small market like Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭seanin4711

clayton now
    and gaviota next
    took a fair few runs to get them to sit right(blisters on arches)
    wouldn't use anything else now

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Had to go for a pair of the classic Hoka Clifton 1's. Have ran in the Clifton 4's and Napali. On Go ride 7's now which I love.

Out of the box the Clifton 1's felt bad, as in 'why would anyone want this brought back?' bad, but went out and did a 15K and could see why people love them. Very light for the cushioning and soft but not sinking soft. Real fun to run in, bit of trouble with the arch but settled in. Not sure how long they will last as durability could be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭4Ad

Elverys/Intersport doing a deal, buy 1 pair get the 2nd half price...
    There's only so many Pegasus 35's I need though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Anyone wearing 361° running shoes? I see a few running shoes pushing them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Picked up another pair of Pegasus 35's on https://m.nike.com/ie/en_gb/ for €58 today with the code CLEAR30. Absolute bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Picked up another pair of Pegasus 35's on https://m.nike.com/ie/en_gb/ for €58 today with the code CLEAR30. Absolute bargain!

Nice, Thanks for this. Great shoe, this will be my 3rd pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Adizero Tempo 9 on sportsshoes.com for €79. Any comments on these as a shoe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Got me a pair of Boston Boost yesterday for 40 euro. They came without the box as it was a kind of clearance sale thingy. I don't know exactly what number they are though!! I'm thinking 5 cos of the green colour and when I Googled Adizero...... Green it was the 5 that came up.

What a price though. Going to do a run in 'em today and will get back to you. (How many folk read Boards anymore??)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

I'll be hitting Lidl on the 31st to get the single pair of size 11.5 they'll have of their trainers. This things, last pair I got went to over 2k km before the sole got so worn that they became just too hard to run in.

Did pick up a pair of Altra Escalante's in the US a month ago just to try something new but haven't really ran much in them yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Itziger wrote: »
    Got me a pair of Boston Boost yesterday for 40 euro. They came without the box as it was a kind of clearance sale thingy. I don't know exactly what number they are though!! I'm thinking 5 cos of the green colour and when I Googled Adizero...... Green it was the 5 that came up.

What a price though. Going to do a run in 'em today and will get back to you. (How many folk read Boards anymore??)

Where’d you find these? Bricks and mortar or online? Looking to replenish runners.

Advertisement