Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

Picked up another pair of Lidl's €20 runners this morning, last pair I bought are over 1.5k km at this stage and still holding together ok albeit with some wear & tear on the sole. As always they have exactly one pair in the shop in the size I take so have to be in there early!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I won’t go through my full shoe roster at the minute (just in case the missus manages to stumble across this thread and recognizes me!) but I had a very fruitful trip to Kildare Village recently :pac::pac:

For old times sake I went to the Asics shop first – came across a pair of DS Trainers for a very tempting €56. Have had 2 pairs already and generally use them for races/speed work. They felt ok-ish but a bit squished around the toe box (as per other recent Asics I tried on) but I convinced myself in the shop that I’d be able to break them in (I think the price was the main reason for this tbh).

Bought them and tottered off down the New Balance shop – tried on a pair on NB 1400’s and instantly knew that I’d be buying them and returning the Asics asap. Extremely comfortable and responsive shoe that I can’t wait to break out on a 5K.

Went from NB back up to Asics to return the DS Trainers – the guy on the till wasn’t the least bit surprised and said that a lot of people were complaining about the toe-box issue.

Popped down then finally to Nike and tried on the Pegasus – again, felt really good straight away so had no hesitation in making the buy. Will be keeping these for higher mileage runs in the coming months in tandem with my NB 880’s.

Worth noting for anyone buying NB online – the girl in the shop said that most people take a half-size bigger in NB than in other shoes. The 880’s I have are my ‘normal’ 9.5 size and are pretty comfortable but the new 1400’s are size 10 and fit like a glove.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Worth noting for anyone buying NB online – the girl in the shop said that most people take a half-size bigger in NB than in other shoes. The 880’s I have are my ‘normal’ 9.5 size and are pretty comfortable but the new 1400’s are size 10 and fit like a glove.

In my experience I would say, 1400v5 + half a size especially if planning to use for long runs / marathon, but ok in your normal size for shorter runs/races. 1400v6 fits true to size.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Got myself a lovely pair of Nike Odessey Reacts last night. Love the sock like fit and can’t wait to test out the midsole.

Thanks for recommendation man. Got myself a pair of Mizunos in there after the gait analysis. Nice guy to deal with in there.

don't be afraid to go your own the next time and buy online and try different runners if you have been set up with the right type of shoes now that you know what type suits you.

eventually if you stick with the running part of the fun is seeing how different types of runners feel on a run.

• Advertisement

fennor72 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    I did try a pair on in the shop a couple of weeks ago and they felt fantastic, really comfy. The only reason I didn't buy them was I was worried how long they would last. I was going to use them as a half marathon and up shoe. I normally run in kinvaras but I'm not very impressed with the 9 so I think I'll go with the reacts

different to the kinvaras for sure but a good runner. given that the cushioning will probably last near twice what it would in a kinvara before "going dead" makes it a decent deal. I got the reacts for 95 in a lifestyle sale a while ago so was happy with that. the black / grey combo is a good colourway (as the yanks put it) imo. or maybe the ones with the all black soles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Cartman78 wrote: »
    I won’t go through my full shoe roster at the minute (just in case the missus manages to stumble across this thread and recognizes me!) but I had a very fruitful trip to Kildare Village recently :pac::pac:

For old times sake I went to the Asics shop first – came across a pair of DS Trainers for a very tempting €56. Have had 2 pairs already and generally use them for races/speed work. They felt ok-ish but a bit squished around the toe box (as per other recent Asics I tried on) but I convinced myself in the shop that I’d be able to break them in (I think the price was the main reason for this tbh).

Bought them and tottered off down the New Balance shop – tried on a pair on NB 1400’s and instantly knew that I’d be buying them and returning the Asics asap. Extremely comfortable and responsive shoe that I can’t wait to break out on a 5K.

Went from NB back up to Asics to return the DS Trainers – the guy on the till wasn’t the least bit surprised and said that a lot of people were complaining about the toe-box issue.

Popped down then finally to Nike and tried on the Pegasus – again, felt really good straight away so had no hesitation in making the buy. Will be keeping these for higher mileage runs in the coming months in tandem with my NB 880’s.

I had a similar toebox issue with a pair of Asics that I bought online and had to send back.

By the way, I still don't get the logic/science behind having certain runners for specific types of running.
    Perhaps once I eventually buy my second pair, it will all become clear.....:)

coogy wrote: »
    I had a similar toebox issue with a pair of Asics that I bought online and had to send back.

By the way, I still don't get the logic/science behind having certain runners for specific types of running.
    Perhaps once I eventually buy my second pair, it will all become clear.....:)

simple example is if someone wants to improve their 5k / 10k time then a light and responsive pair of racing orientated shoes will definitely beat a heavier and spongy training / normal running shoe and improve your time (the difference can be surprising). likewise a racing shoe does not last as long as a training shoe and is not that comfortable over long distances so you're not going to use it for "out-for-a-run" runs.

there are many other different use cases e.g. trail running shoes etc.

then there are people who have an issue with running shoes like some women have with handbags and have far too many for no real good reason at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

glasso wrote: »
    simple example is if someone wants to improve their 5k / 10k time then a light and responsive pair of racing orientated shoes will definitely beat a heavier and spongy training / normal running shoe and improve your time (the difference can be surprising). likewise a racing shoe does not last as long as a training shoe and is not that comfortable over long distances so you're not going to use it for "out-for-a-run" runs.

there are many other different use cases e.g. trail running shoes etc.

then there are people who have an issue with running shoes like some women have with handbags and have far too many for no real good reason at all!

Ah there's always a good reason for every pair of shoes. Always. Heavily cushioned for long distance, new pair of same waiting to be broken in, old pair of same relegated to running on grass/cutting the grass/painting, racing flats, slightly more cushioned flats for long races, those other flats that didn't quite suit you but you break out for the odd session, that pair you bought in a sale once that also don't suit but you can't throw out so still do the odd short easy one in, that pair that are actually fine but you think they caused an injury even though they didn't, that really really old pair that you ran your marathon PB in but never wear and can't throw out, and then some will have track spikes and cross country spikes and the the pair you also forget about sitting there in the corner like a forgotten child. All of which reminds me, I need to get some new shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Ah there's always a good reason for every pair of shoes. Always. Heavily cushioned for long distance, new pair of same waiting to be broken in, old pair of same relegated to running on grass/cutting the grass/painting, racing flats, slightly more cushioned flats for long races, those other flats that didn't quite suit you but you break out for the odd session, that pair you bought in a sale once that also don't suit but you can't throw out so still do the odd short easy one in, that pair that are actually fine but you think they caused an injury even though they didn't, that really really old pair that you ran your marathon PB in but never wear and can't throw out, and then some will have track spikes and cross country spikes and the the pair you also forget about sitting there in the corner like a forgotten child. All of which reminds me, I need to get some new shoes.

I read this thinking it was BeepBeep posting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    My fav recovery shoe at the moment, pity PI pulled out of the running market, but I did pick up 3 pairs for <€100 [EM Road N1 V2]

36800550_10214907138706309_6008197331961249792_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=8f310a9fb51bb3967b6275850aefa58d&oe=5BCE4DAB
    I've gone and ordered a pair of Women's Screaming Pink N1s for 23.xx euro. They say they're 27.5 cms which would be perfect. Hopefully they fit. Despite the slightly off putting colour I couldn't resist at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Latest pair are Saucony ride ISO ie Ride 11. Have had 2 pairs of the v10 and found them to be great

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DC.

Any Adidas Adios 3 users on here?

What sort of mileage have got got from yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

DC. wrote: »

I'm on my second pair. First ones had 350km before I stopped racing in them and bought a second pair, but i'd still use them for an odd session here and there. Bout 500km in them now.....but I wouldn't race in those ones anymore.

Great. I wore through the outsole in my first paid after less than 300km, which I was surprised at. Other Adidas shoes (Boston6 & Tempo9) have been much better for wear so thought I had got a bad pair of Adios.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

500 miles on pair, retired to grass, but still fine, 236 on another, no sign of fatigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

I got 600 miles on my pair. One my second pair now.

Thanks

Great. I wore through the outsole in my first paid after less than 300km, which I was surprised at. Other Adidas shoes (Boston6 & Tempo9) have been much better for wear so thought I had got a bad pair of Adios.

different running styles meaning different impact strike actions, surfaces run on and weight all contribute to wear differences.

for striking I remember reading to try to be conscious of being "lighter on your feet" instead of pounding the strike and subsequent push off. (more for energy conservation but would also affect the wear on outsole and cushion)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Anybody bought shoes from Sport Pursuit and did everything go ok. I see they are selling NB 1500 V4 for €46, call me suspicious but ........

Just had my order for a pair of the NB1400's cancelled and refunded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭4Ad

Got my Nike Pegasus 35 yesterday.
    Just did 20 miles..God they are comfortable..
    99 Euro from Lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

4Ad wrote: »
    99 Euro from Lifestyle.

Yes they are comfortable, I now have 180 miles on mine and they are still the same. Very impressed and they are the first pair of nike i have used.
    I am now temped by the Pegasus 35 Turbos......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Rossi7

boydkev wrote: »
    4Ad wrote: »
    99 Euro from Lifestyle.

Yes they are comfortable, I now have 180 miles on mine and they are still the same. Very impressed and they are the first pair of nike i have used.
    I am now temped by the Pegasus 35 Turbos......:D
    I second this also :) over 190 miles on mine and still like a slipper. I'll give it another month for the turbo's and hopefully they'll have dropped in price like the 35's did

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Rossi7 wrote: »
    I second this also :) over 190 miles on mine and still like a slipper. I'll give it another month for the turbo's and hopefully they'll have dropped in price like the 35's did

+1 to this. Have over 700km in mine since July. Picked up a second pair this week.....

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I will probably look at getting another pair in lifestyle as i have a few vouchers, need to get them before Dublin, Pity they don't carry more of the colors that are available on the Nike Site.

Just spotted the Turbos on sportsdirect for €135 which seems odd as every other shop still has them at €180, There must be something wrong with them????

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭thefa

Looking for a bit of advice - I'm an overpronator when it comes to runner and have had a good pair of stability Brooks runners for the last 5 years that have served me well but are in need of replacing. Typically do 5-10K runs. Have a couple of pairs that I have my eye on but they are neutral rather than stability runners.

Am I as well sticking with some new stability runners or risk the neutral support with an insole?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Anyone any experience of the New Balance 1400 racing flat. Looking for something that is a little more substance than my current Saucony a6. For road racing up to 10k max. Other suggestions welcome too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, its not really a flat. I use it for faster training runs and longer distance races.

It's a nice shoe to wear though, light weight with a bit of cushioning.

I've been using Adidas Takumi Sen for shorter races, expensive though unless you see it discounted somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

adrian522 wrote: »
    Yeah, its not really a flat. I use it for faster training runs and longer distance races.

I've been using Adidas Takumi Sen for shorter races, expensive though unless you see it discounted somewhere.

Cheers Adrian, think that's me sold on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

adrian522 wrote: »

+1, lovely shoe.
    Ran a half marathon in them yesterday, no issues. There's a little bit of wear on the outsole after 60k so I can't see them lasting as long as say an Adidas Boston which I find to be a similar shoe.

Advertisement