Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Looking at getting the new Asics DS Trainer 22, I currently run in the Asics DS trainer 21 and have had 2 pairs of them and also had the 20's before that.

Has anybody on here bought/used them and is there any difference to fit etc... as i they dont have them in shops in cork but they do have them on their websites.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

What do you do when your shoes need replacing but they don't make then anymore?
    I'm not crazy into running, no marathons or the like. I started with C25k and just wore cheap runners cos I wasn't sure if I was going to stick with it. Then when I realised it wasn't just passing phase I got gait analysis, told I needed arch support and splashed my work bonus on a good branded shoe only for them to cut and blister the inside of my feet after about a month. Went back to cheap ass shoes.

Then took the plunge again in another sport store, and left with these babies:
    http://www.asics.com/gb/en-gb/gel-pulse-7/p/0010248253.9035
    They are the first running shoe that I've been happy with, never had a problem with them bar the odd blister. I treated them so well, only wore for running and nothing else. But now there's well over 600kms on them and the netting at the front of the right foot is nearly worn through (I should be keeping my toenails shorter).
    I'm just dreading the thought of looking for new shoes and that they might not match up to these.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Asics are notorious for getting holes at your big toe, that doesn't mean the shoes are worn out.

You can often get older versions online even when they're not in the shops any more. Failing that, go into a decent store with your current runners and tell them you want something as close as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

RayCun wrote: »
    Asics are notorious for getting holes at your big toe, that doesn't mean the shoes are worn out.

You can often get older versions online even when they're not in the shops any more. Failing that, go into a decent store with your current runners and tell them you want something as close as possible.

Got a new pair of asics 3 weeks ago. First thing I did was stick Gaffa tape on the inside of the toe box

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

RayCun wrote: »

Oh that's good cos there looks to be a bit of life left in the soles of them.
    When I get to replace them I will defo bring them back to the store I bought them and see if they can match me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

Picked up a pair of Lidl's finest running wear a few weeks back, even though I was in the shop at 8:05am on my way to work there was a total of one pair in my size there! Think they cost < €30 and seem fine although a little heavier than the DS trainers I binned as they had almost no sole left in them.

2hqz515.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    What do you do when your shoes need replacing but they don't make then anymore?
    I'm not crazy into running, no marathons or the like. I started with C25k and just wore cheap runners cos I wasn't sure if I was going to stick with it. Then when I realised it wasn't just passing phase I got gait analysis, told I needed arch support and splashed my work bonus on a good branded shoe only for them to cut and blister the inside of my feet after about a month. Went back to cheap ass shoes.

Then took the plunge again in another sport store, and left with these babies:
    http://www.asics.com/gb/en-gb/gel-pulse-7/p/0010248253.9035
    They are the first running shoe that I've been happy with, never had a problem with them bar the odd blister. I treated them so well, only wore for running and nothing else. But now there's well over 600kms on them and the netting at the front of the right foot is nearly worn through (I should be keeping my toenails shorter).
    I'm just dreading the thought of looking for new shoes and that they might not match up to these.

Fairly sure they have them in Asics store in Kildare Outlet Village if thats anywhere near you. You'll get them at a good price too. Give them a call and ask if they have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

boydkev wrote: »
    Looking at getting the new Asics DS Trainer 22, I currently run in the Asics DS trainer 21 and have had 2 pairs of them and also had the 20's before that.

Has anybody on here bought/used them and is there any difference to fit etc... as i they dont have them in shops in cork but they do have them on their websites.

Thanks,

Found a shop that has them, And am very disappointed as i tried on the size 8 and they were too small for my left foot and then tried the 8.5 and they were too big for my right. They have made the toe box too narrow in the new version so the size 8 does not fit me any more.

So have decided to try out a new shoe, Mizuno Catalyst 2. So hope fully they will work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

My go to training shoe Inov-8 Road-X 235 is finally breaking down as I can feel the cushioning is gone in the heel.
    It's been a trusty steed over the past few years, and despite me trying a variety of other shoes, I always returned to it.

With a half marathon next month, I had to bite the bullet, so I ordered myself a pair of Inov-8 Road X Treme 250.
    I would have gone with the 220, but they're discontinued and none left anywhere in my size.

The inov-8 shoes just work with my feet.
    I don't generally have any issues with them, can run in them straight from the box and don't get any blisters or niggles.

I've tried other brands, Brooks are ok, but the pair I bought on sale in TK Maxx a couple of years ago run a little small, so I could probably do with a half size bigger.
    Had a pair of Hoka's which I love the feel of on my feet, but any time I go longer than about 2-3 miles I start to get a blister on a specific spot. Have tried trimming back the insole but it seems to have made no difference.

So I think I'll be sticking to Inov-8 over the medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Just pulled the trigger on a pair of these:

http://www.mandmdirect.ie/01/details/ad13146/adidas-adizero-takumi-sen-boost-3-lightweight-neutral-race-running-shoes-shock-green-core-black-blue-glow

I'm not sure if I need them, but I couldn't leave them there for €78.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

http://www.mandmdirect.ie/01/details/ad13146/adidas-adizero-takumi-sen-boost-3-lightweight-neutral-race-running-shoes-shock-green-core-black-blue-glow

HBS, hope you're light and fast. And one of the two needs a 'very' before it. They are super light with not much support. When I asked a guy in a shop about 'em he didn't think 3 hours for the marathon would suit. Probably right too. If I had 'em I'd be looking to use them in a Half maybe.

Do get back to us when you've tried them.

Itziger wrote: »
    HBS, hope you're light and fast. And one of the two needs a 'very' before it. They are super light with not much support. When I asked a guy in a shop about 'em he didn't think 3 hours for the marathon would suit. Probably right too. If I had 'em I'd be looking to use them in a Half maybe.

But they're half price....:)

Seriously though, I'm neither light nor fast (73kgs, >>3 hours) but I reckon I'd at least get 10k and lower out of them. I'll know soon enough after an hours run in them to break them in.

Seriously though, I'm neither light nor fast (73kgs, >>3 hours) but I reckon I'd at least get 10k and lower out of them. I'll know soon enough after an hours run in them to break them in.

Yeah, they've finally come down in price. As you say, you'll get a 10k out of em anyway. Should be good for a Half though I reckon. They were developed with elites in mind I believe so us slower lads might regret wearing them 42.2k

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I have a pair of these, did originally purchase with the intention of using for the marathon, but after a few long runs with 10-12 miles MP I did find my legs took a battering and an extra day or 2 to recover. So too risky for me.

They come in at slightly over 180 gms for a UK size 10.5 (hope you ordered up half a size) and I've raced 10M and HM with no issues, but you really need to landing mid to fore foot for the majority of your running as there's little or no protection beyond the almost non existent 4 inches of boost.

Outside of that, they are a very comfortable shoe, with great grip, ease in to them gently, I don't even wear for warm and cool down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I have a pair of these

No ****, sherlock.

dude, you have a pair of everything

I have a pair of these, did originally purchase with the intention of using for the marathon, but after a few long runs with 10-12 miles MP I did find my legs took a battering and an extra day or 2 to recover. So too risky for me.

They come in at slightly over 180 gms for a UK size 10.5 (hope you ordered up half a size) and I've raced 10M and HM with no issues, but you really need to landing mid to fore foot for the majority of your running as there's little or no protection beyond the almost non existent 4 inches of boost.

Outside of that, they are a very comfortable shoe, with great grip, ease in to them gently, I don't even warm for warm and cool down.

I always order up a full size for adidas - although my Glide 8s are a bit larger than the Glide 7s. It's funny - a Nike US 12 is a UK 11, but an adidas US 12 is a UK 11.5. I went through 2 pairs of Boston Boost which felt small even a half size up. Actually I found the marathon hard going in the Bostons, so I'd say these won't suit me for the marathon. I have a brand new pair of Glide Boost 8s I need to break in so they'll do me.

And I just realised I ordered a UK 12 by mistake. Ah well, it'll be two pairs of socks and reserved for speed sessions then! I do heel strike, but I find in lighter shoes with a lower heel drop I tend to be a bit lighter on my feet and midfoot strike a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Speaking of which, my Kinvaras felt totally mashed yesterday. First time I've actually had the feeling that a pair of shoes were worn out. that means firing up my last new pair, so now I have THE FEAR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You were a brooks man D, how did they compare to the T7 racing flat?

Outside of that, they are a very comfortable shoe, with great grip, ease in to them gently, I don't even wear for warm and cool down.

You were a brooks man D, how did they compare to the T7 racing flat?

T7 was more forgiving, get yourself over to the Brooks Hyperion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I've just stumbled across this site called. "ascotweddingcars.co.uk"! On it are ridiculously price reduced running shoes! Could ye have a gander and point out what the catch could be?!... Apart from the name that is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

It looks the part anyway... although I'm not sure why they would call it that if it were legit! Like the old rule, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

I'd be killed anyway... I'm still trying to conceal the second last pair I bought!!

The quality of the English and the way it's worded in the 'about us' section sounds like a high quality counterfeit operation, I think.

Bahanaman wrote:
    I've just stumbled across this site called. "ascotweddingcars.co.uk"! On it are ridiculously price reduced running shoes! Could ye have a gander and point out what the catch could be?!... Apart from the name that is!

It just looks to good to be true. I'd be wary of either a scam or counterfeit goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

T7 was more forgiving, get yourself over to the Brooks Hyperion

I will give them a blast. On a separate note I was a big fan of the ST5 for longer runs/big mileage weeks, had about dozen pairs but can no longer get my size. Did you find anything similar within the Brooks range that was a close match? I did try the pure cadence/flow but was not a big fan.

I will give them a blast. On a separate note I was a big fan of the ST5 for longer runs/big mileage weeks, had about dozen pairs but can no longer get my size. Did you find anything similar within the Brooks range that was a close match? I did try the pure cadence/flow but was not a big fan.

Haven't tried them but I believe the 'Asteria' (spelling?), is the replacement, I've seen TRR running in them and he was an ST5 wearer, so maybe give him a shout.

As an alternative the Adidas Boston 5/6 (go up at least half a size) is what I'm using now. The toe box is narrower than the ST5, it's the only thing I'd change, it's a cracking all round shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The new Brooks Asteria might be worth a look. I love the hyperion.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Anyone have the Nike Air Zoom Elite 9?

Looking for a shoe to replace my Adizero Adios 3s (518 miles on them) but tempted to buy another pair of them.

Itziger wrote: »

These arrived yesterday. I think i may have injured myself just looking at them. :D I'm looking forward to taking them out for a (short) spin.

The better half picked up a pair as well - for general wear though. €35 for size 4.

These arrived yesterday. I think i may have injured myself just looking at them. :D I'm looking forward to taking them out for a (short) spin.

The better half picked up a pair as well - for general wear though. €35 for size 4.

What????? 35 yoyo for a pair of Takuma Sen?? Jesus, I'd nearly buy 'em on principle or on the off chance that I find a lover with that size feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

It appears that one of my favourite shoes is no more - adidas Supernova Glide Boost 6/7/8 - as adidas have decided to change the design and introduce much more cushioning, to the point where it sounds like a different shoe (I might be wrong!). So I'm looking for two things, recommendations for a place (shop or website) that would have a decent range of these models left in sizes 9.5 -10.5. I haven't been having much luck in finding them myself.

I would also take recommendations for a similar shoe to try out as well. I've had a few pairs of the above, rotating along with my now second pair of kinvara's and also moving onto my second pair of adidas Bostons for the faster stuff. So I'd like to stock up on the Supernova Glide part of my rotation while I can.

Help!

• Advertisement

JohnDozer wrote: »
    It appears that one of my favourite shoes is no more - adidas Supernova Glide Boost 6/7/8 - as adidas have decided to change the design and introduce much more cushioning, to the point where it sounds like a different shoe (I might be wrong!). So I'm looking for two things, recommendations for a place (shop or website) that would have a decent range of these models left in sizes 9.5 -10.5. I haven't been having much luck in finding them myself.

I would also take recommendations for a similar shoe to try out as well. I've had a few pairs of the above, rotating along with my now second pair of kinvara's and also moving onto my second pair of adidas Bostons for the faster stuff. So I'd like to stock up on the Supernova Glide part of my rotation while I can.

Help!

The Edge Sports (Cork shop with a website you can order from) has 7's in size 11 and 6's in 10.5

Advertisement