Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Seanie Johnston Kildare Transfer?

1679111238

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Dixon1983


    Lojak wrote: »
    I can tell you as somebody who has been around the Cavan setup that he has an attitude problem and nobody that knows him from cavan will disagree, the current panel are not one bit disapointed that hes gone!!!

    Yeah you have been around the Cavan set up allright. 3 Years on this board. 16 posts in 3 years and 8 of them in this last few days all about Seanie.
    I see.


  • Registered Users Posts: 50,846 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover


    Dixon1983 wrote: »
    Yeah you have been around the Cavan set up allright. 3 Years on this board. 16 posts in 3 years and 8 of them in this last few days all about Seanie.
    I see.

    Correct and right. The groundsman should stick to his job.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭RickRoll


    Lojak wrote: »
    I can tell you as somebody who has been around the Cavan setup that he has an attitude problem and nobody that knows him from cavan will disagree, the current panel are not one bit disapointed that hes gone!!!
    No wonder they can't win a match if you're the type of person around their setup.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1


    Seanie Johnson apparantly won 25k in a local casino and gave a tramp outside 1k.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Dixon1983


    Lojak wrote: »
    Who are these so called clowns? all i see is last dedicated to playing for there county!! With comments like this i think there is only one clown about!!!!

    There is a groundsman there up in Breffni park by the name of Sean O rinn. Actually you remind me of him with the ****e that you write. he always at training with his note book taking notes of HIS potential targets for Val.He hates Seanie too with a passion.

    I think this groundsman is so far up Vals arse that if Val ever goes we might need a new groundsman .

    WELCOME TO THE BOARDS SEAN O RINN


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭RickRoll


    He keeps Breffni park in good nick though, fair play to ya Lojak.


  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak


    Dixon1983 wrote: »
    There is a groundsman there up in Breffni park by the name of Sean O rinn. Actually you remind me of him with the ****e that you write. he always at training with his note book taking notes of HIS potential targets for Val.He hates Seanie too with a passion.

    I think this groundsman is so far up Vals arse that if Val ever goes we might need a new groundsman .

    WELCOME TO THE BOARDS SEAN O RINN

    Haha lads you make me laugh!! sean o rinn i am not, cannot even stand the man! but i can see that you are gaels boys with your heads in the clouds. wake up and smell the coffie seanie is showing the gaels no respect, they are the club that he has grown up playing with and he wants away!!!

    BTW the reason I have so few posts in the last 3 years is because i signed up in college and never used boards until i was sent a link to this forum by a friend!!!!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1


    Seanie Johnson was on his way to work this morning and stopped at a petrol station, he then told all in the forecourt to fill up their tanks as he was paying.


  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin


    dcr,

    My comment wasnt directed at you personally I was referring to the almost universal assumption that he must be a trouble maker as odd, apologies if you thought I was aiming my comment directly at you.

    And I have read the entire thread, and I have read numerous forums and Articles on the matter and veryu little in Johnsons career suggests to me that he has an attitude problem it just seems a clash of personalities between himself and Andrews.

    There were problems with Seanie in the Gaels camp last year too. He didn't start a number of the early Championship games.

    Rumours even went round that he had lost interest in GAA and was concentrating on golf. I can't comment on the golf rumours to be honest but there were definitely problems with his club when he wasn't starting games and that was widely known in the county.

    Donal Keoghan also commented in 2007 that Johnston would never play for him again after he disappeared off to Chicago when Cavan were knocked out of the Championship rather than sticking around for the qualifiers.

    www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=88628


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Dixon1983


    Lojak wrote: »
    Haha lads you make me laugh!! sean o rinn i am not, cannot even stand the man! but i can see that you are gaels boys with your heads in the clouds. wake up and smell the coffie seanie is showing the gaels no respect, they are the club that he has grown up playing with and he wants away!!!

    BTW the reason I have so few posts in the last 3 years is because i signed up in college and never used boards until i was sent a link to this forum by a friend!!!!


    Seanie showed Gaels respect in so far as he tried to get an Inter County transfer without changing clubs. But this was refused.

    Secondly its the Gaels being the innocent party here are losing a good player through a row between Andrews and Seanie.

    Cavan Gaels have been accused in the past unfairly of not pushing its good players towards playing for the County team. Well after this episode do we really expect them to care if any of their players play County football?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Dixon1983


    RickRoll wrote: »
    I can assure you he will.


    Did Seanie turn up last night RICKROLL LOL


  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin


    Dixon1983 wrote: »
    Seanie showed Gaels respect in so far as he tried to get an Inter County transfer without changing clubs. But this was refused.

    Secondly its the Gaels being the innocent party here are losing a good player through a row between Andrews and Seanie.

    Cavan Gaels have been accused in the past unfairly of not pushing its good players towards playing for the County team. Well after this episode do we really expect them to care if any of their players play County football?

    To be honest, this whole debacle shouldn't have any effect on the Gaels view of County football. Cavan Gaels are a club side who participate in the Cavan championship and have represented Cavan on numerous occasions in the Ulster Championship.

    Therefore they should be proud for their players to represent Cavan county teams at all levels.

    The fact that one player has been dropped by management shouldn't effect that. I also don't know why you presume there was a "row" between Seanie and Andrews. Neither party has mentioned any row or falling out.

    Seanie was told he wasn't required by the county team. That could be for a number of reasons - tactical, the poor year he had last year, his attitude, that the selectors feel there are forwards who are more on form in the county, that the selectors want to move forward with a different set of players etc. There could be countless reasons.

    Seanie is the one who wants to move county now so its his decision that is effecting the Gaels. Not any made by Andrews. No player is undroppable at any county. Any team is bigger than one player.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Dixon1983


    Lemlin wrote: »
    To be honest, this whole debacle shouldn't have any effect on the Gaels view of County football. Cavan Gaels are a club side who participate in the Cavan championship and have represented Cavan on numerous occasions in the Ulster Championship.

    Therefore they should be proud for their players to represent Cavan county teams at all levels.

    The fact that one player has been dropped by management shouldn't effect that. I also don't know why you presume there was a "row" between Seanie and Andrews. Neither party has mentioned any row or falling out.

    Seanie was told he wasn't required by the county team. That could be for a number of reasons - tactical, the poor year he had last year, his attitude, that the selectors feel there are forwards who are more on form in the county, that the selectors want to move forward with a different set of players etc. There could be countless reasons.

    Seanie is the one who wants to move county now so its his decision that is effecting the Gaels. Not any made by Andrews. No player is undroppable at any county. Any team is bigger than one player.

    Seanie had a poor year last year in the Championship 2 matches but wasnt substituted in either game. Strange that if he was as poor as ppl say. Poor by his standards maybe.

    There is actually a player who Andrews dropped this year glad he was dropped because he had no intention of listening to Andrews this year because of the crap that came out of Andrews last year. So in fact Andrews has done this player a favour by dropping him. It saves him walking away.

    There is a good crop of young lads around without a doubt. But they need experience with them. Experience that Andrews dropped because these experienced players saw that Andrews was a bluffer from his results and weird tactics last year.

    Finely the one think that made the Gaels successfull was their ability to blend nice experienced heads with young skillful talent. Andrews cant do that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants


    Alaska1 wrote: »
    Seanie Johnson was on his way to work this morning and stopped at a petrol station, he then told all in the forecourt to fill up their tanks as he was paying.

    Any chance you could give it a rest. You are ruining every thread you happen to post in.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1


    largepants wrote: »
    Any chance you could give it a rest. You are ruining every thread you happen to post in.

    Lighten up, if you don;t like it don't read it, simple as. :)

    Meant as a joke.

    Thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭keane2097


    Alaska1 wrote: »
    Lighten up, if you don;t like it don't read it, simple as. :)

    Meant as a joke.

    Thanks

    How does he know he doesn't like it before he's read it?

    Just post less garbage - it'll help your own enjoyment of the forum as much as it will everyone else's.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1


    keane2097 wrote: »
    How does he know he doesn't like it before he's read it?

    Just post less garbage - it'll help your own enjoyment of the forum as much as it will everyone else's.

    Whack me on ignore than, tbh I couldn't care who reads or doesn't read.

    Going way off topic , if you don't like the post, report it.

    Now back to the superstar that is Seanie.


  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin


    Dixon1983 wrote: »
    Seanie had a poor year last year in the Championship 2 matches but wasnt substituted in either game. Strange that if he was as poor as ppl say. Poor by his standards maybe.

    There is actually a player who Andrews dropped this year glad he was dropped because he had no intention of listening to Andrews this year because of the crap that came out of Andrews last year. So in fact Andrews has done this player a favour by dropping him. It saves him walking away.

    There is a good crop of young lads around without a doubt. But they need experience with them. Experience that Andrews dropped because these experienced players saw that Andrews was a bluffer from his results and weird tactics last year.

    Finely the one think that made the Gaels successfull was their ability to blend nice experienced heads with young skillful talent. Andrews cant do that.

    I can't comment on why Seanie wasn't substituted. Only Andrews or the selectors can. I'd imagine though taking off the captain and star player was one of the last things they wanted to do. Did you not find his performances below par last season?

    You seem to have a vendetta against Andrews. No-one is saying he was a huge success last year but you have to gauge what he had to work with. Successive managers have failed to find success with Cavan and have complained about the attitude of the players. In relation to players he dropped, I gave my opinion on the Cavan GAA thread where you posted originally and you have failed to reply:

    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056198368&page=14
    I saw a list of six lads (not the same as the list you named) who were told they weren't in the Cavan panel back late last year. I know none of the lads personally. However, I can confirm that I did see two of them in pubs in Cavan town after the atrocious Longford performance. One was sitting at the bar in the Black Horse with a group of the U21s surrounding him like he was the 'big fella' and to be honest I could see from there he was a bad influence and I was delighted to see him dropped. The other was sitting in another pub down the town with a big smiley head on him. Now I'm not asking these lads to give their life and soul, they're not professionals but I've a clubmate who played when Cavan lost by 21 points to Tyrone in 2005. He didn't leave the house for anything other than work for a month after it because he was so disgusted. Lads need to care. They should hurt when the team loses.

    I have given my opinion on those dropped above and also why I am not sad to see the loss of any player who has been asked to leave the panel or told that they aren't required. The attitude described above is the wrong attitude to have and its been going on for far too long in Cavan. Antrim were a poor Division 4 team in 2005 when Cavan drew with them in the first round of the Ulster Championship. Six players had to be disciplined for being in a nightclub in front of the entire town that night locked drunk. Then we had the debacle a couple of years ago of a player missing a match to go to Oxegen. Things like this have to end and I've no problem with some of the lads dropped. For years we've had lads walking around Cavan town in county training tops thinking they're something when they've won nothing. The county panel was a joke for a few years in the mid 2000s. Lads were called up to it and didn't even bother going into Breffni. 2 lads I know went to Liverpool after they won the European Cup in 2005 rather than attend the game against Antrim that weekend.

    I've also seen players that previously there were problems with brought back into the panel so I don't think Val or the selectors are holding grudges against anyone. The attitude needs to change in Cavan and, with the new young players coming through from the minors and U21s, I don't think it's bad that a few of the older generation are moving on, particularly given the fact that I saw with my own eyes one of them sitting in a pub surrounded by members of the U21s as I described above. If you ask me, alot of the 1997 players hung around far too long and it damaged the panel rather than helped it.

    You're making a number of assertions that you have obviously nothing to back up. Andrews dropped the players. None of them walked. So if they have said its because of his bluffing, its easy for them to say that now. The fact remains that experienced players still remain - Ray Cullivan, John McCutcheon, Michael Brennan, Padraig O'Reilly, Ronan Flanagan, Joey Jordan, Mark McKeever, to name but a few. These lads have been playing for Cavan since the mid 2000s. So your point that Andrews can't blend experience with young skilful talent is just downright wrong, as are alot of your other expressed opinions IMO.

    Andrews inherited a poisioned chalice and he has to try and work with it now. Last year was poor but time needs to be given to turn things around. Changing managers every 2 to 3 years will not work.


  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants


    Alaska1 wrote: »
    largepants wrote: »
    Any chance you could give it a rest. You are ruining every thread you happen to post in.

    Lighten up, if you don;t like it don't read it, simple as. :)

    Meant as a joke.

    Thanks

    I love a joke as much as the next fella but honestly you're not being funny.


  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666


    I notice hoganstand have taken down the topic from their board in Cavan. Looks like CB get their way again! If your not with them your against them, free speech not wanted or tolerated!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666


    Hogan Stand pull Johnson topic off web
    I notice hoganstand have taken down the topic from their board in Cavan. Looks like CB get their way again! If your not with them your against them, free speech not wanted or tolerated!

    At least highlighting it made them put it back up. It was off the site and forum page for hours.


  • Registered Users Posts: 50,846 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover


    breffni666 wrote: »
    Hogan Stand pull Johnson topic off web
    I notice hoganstand have taken down the topic from their board in Cavan. Looks like CB get their way again! If your not with them your against them, free speech not wanted or tolerated!

    At least highlighting it made them put it back up. It was off the site and forum page for hours.

    Is Andrews a bit of a dictator who cannot stand to be questioned ?
    He is very quiet on the matter as are the county board and the Cavan PRO so they must be backing him. It is a pity to see the best forward in the county for years being dropped because the manager does not like his methods to be questioned. Debate and communications are the way to go in all arguments so i am surprised the county board did not go down that road before this became a national issue. Sweeping things under the table never sorts out anything.


  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin


    breffni666 wrote: »
    Hogan Stand pull Johnson topic off web
    I notice hoganstand have taken down the topic from their board in Cavan. Looks like CB get their way again! If your not with them your against them, free speech not wanted or tolerated!

    At least highlighting it made them put it back up. It was off the site and forum page for hours.

    I doubt Cavan County Board had anything to do with the topic being pulled. I'd imagine the Hogan Stand legal department watch that forum very closely as, after all, comments are made about players which border on the ridiculous at times and the last thing they want is a legal battle.


  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin


    Is Andrews a bit of a dictator who cannot stand to be questioned ?
    He is very quiet on the matter as are the county board and the Cavan PRO so they must be backing him. It is a pity to see the best forward in the county for years being dropped because the manager does not like his methods to be questioned. Debate and communications are the way to go in all arguments so i am surprised the county board did not go down that road before this became a national issue. Sweeping things under the table never sorts out anything.

    I do not see why he needs to comment. He rang the player and told him he wasn't required. He's said his piece.

    He has a panel to work with and he is getting on with that. Lads are dropped from the panel every week. Should he comment on all of them?

    I'm sure the way he sees it is that Seanie Johnston shouldn't be treated any differently to the other players he has dropped.

    I'm sure the County Board feel the same way. Everything is coming from the Johnston/Kildare camp. I'd imagine they've released it because they feel they will get media support.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone


    Lemlin wrote: »
    I do not see why he needs to comment. He rang the player and told him he wasn't required. He's said his piece.

    He has a panel to work with and he is getting on with that. Lads are dropped from the panel every week. Should he comment on all of them?

    I'm sure the way he sees it is that Seanie Johnston shouldn't be treated any differently to the other players he has dropped.

    I'm sure the County Board feel the same way. Everything is coming from the Johnston/Kildare camp. I'd imagine they've released it because they feel they will get media support.

    Ah Lemlin you are been very liberal with the truth and reality here, now lets put aside any question of trouble making or clash of personalities, are you genuinely suggesting to that there are 30 better footballers than Seanie Johnson, fcuk me if there is ye have done some job keepin them hid, FWIW there arent 30 better players in Ulster.

    So yes Seanie is been treated differently as he has clearly been droped for non-footballing reasons and surely the very least that should be offered is an explanation, see Eoin Kelly in Waterford and how that was handled, from a rookie manager an awfull lot better than this mess, Andrews is not exactly easy to work with either.

    During my time in Dublin I had a couple of dealings with him, I remember he ran for county chairman one year and he just came across to me as extrememly egotistical and full of he's own importance, I would imagine this clash with Johnson is borne out of them both thinking they are bigger than they are, If I was a Cavan man I would kind of expect my CB to back their own guy in this instance or at least give him a fair hearing, he seems to have been cast to one side very easily, its not as if Andrews is some sort of messiah either who is guaranteed to bring success to Cavan.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭keane2097


    Yeah if it was Kerry and some guy had come in from elsewhere to manage the team and decide he'd had his fill of Colm Cooper's attitude and all of a sudden Cooper was off to play for Galway or something I'd be more interested in getting in a manager who can handle his players properly than saying cheerio to the player.

    And it's not like we're stuck for quality forwards either.

    People seem to be looking at this as though Val Andrews were Alex Ferguson or something - with a proven amazing record and judgement to be trusted implicitly. Nothing in his achievements, nor anything I've read or heard about him anecdotally suggest he deserves any such faith.

    He'll probably be gone after this year having achieved close to nothing, and Cavan will have lost the best player they've produced since Stephen King for good.

    Priorities are all in a hoop imo.


  • Registered Users Posts: 50,846 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover


    Lemlin wrote: »
    I do not see why he needs to comment. He rang the player and told him he wasn't required. He's said his piece.

    He has a panel to work with and he is getting on with that. Lads are dropped from the panel every week. Should he comment on all of them?

    I'm sure the way he sees it is that Seanie Johnston shouldn't be treated any differently to the other players he has dropped.

    I'm sure the County Board feel the same way. Everything is coming from the Johnston/Kildare camp. I'd imagine they've released it because they feel they will get media support.

    Seanie apparently asked him if he knew what he was doing tactically and made a comment. Andrews took exception and dropped him. Not because Seanie was playing bad but because he dared to ask. Seanie was last years captain.
    I know a few Cavan supporters and they would ask Val too because they don't know what he is at with the county team. They seem to think he hasn't a clue tactically and his record with other teams would suggest that they are right. Just look at last years championship debacle.


  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin


    Ah Lemlin you are been very liberal with the truth and reality here, now lets put aside any question of trouble making or clash of personalities, are you genuinely suggesting to that there are 30 better footballers than Seanie Johnson, fcuk me if there is ye have done some job keepin them hid, FWIW there arent 30 better players in Ulster.

    So yes Seanie is been treated differently as he has clearly been droped for non-footballing reasons and surely the very least that should be offered is an explanation, see Eoin Kelly in Waterford and how that was handled, from a rookie manager an awfull lot better than this mess, Andrews is not exactly easy to work with either.

    During my time in Dublin I had a couple of dealings with him, I remember he ran for county chairman one year and he just came across to me as extrememly egotistical and full of he's own importance, I would imagine this clash with Johnson is borne out of them both thinking they are bigger than they are, If I was a Cavan man I would kind of expect my CB to back their own guy in this instance or at least give him a fair hearing, he seems to have been cast to one side very easily, its not as if Andrews is some sort of messiah either who is guaranteed to bring success to Cavan.

    How am I being liberal with the truth and reality? Where did I say there were 30 better footballers than Seanie in Cavan or Ulster? You seem to be pulling a number of assertions from my post which I never made. Johnston is a great player but great players don't always fit into teams or tactics. That's my point.

    And do you think none of the others have been dropped from the panel have been dropped for non footballing reasons? Its clearly apparent that some of the other lads have been dropped for that reason and, as I've said, I've absolutely no problem with that. My point is that why should Seanie Johnston be any different to them? Seanie says he got a ten second phone call. He hasn't mentioned anywhere about questioning his dropping or about going back to management re it. He admits himself he was poor last year. As I said, there were better footballers playing for Cavan in the forward line last year than Seanie Johnston.

    Andrews is the manager. I'm happy enough to row in behind him as someone who has watched the past ten years in Cavan with nothing more than other distate. Other than 2005, where we had a decent run in the qualifiers, we've been terrible. I'm sick and tired of players snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, of seeing county players out on the town with important games coming up, of players being called into the county panel and not turning up, of players attending Oxegen instead of matches. If Andrews wants to make a break from the past decade and move forward with the county U21s and minors, the first teams in a long time to actually win anything for the county, I've no problem with that.

    It's fairly evident from the managers that have been through the revolving door in Cavan over the past decade that the managers aren't the problem. I've never said the fella is the Messiah, and he made plenty of mistakes last year, but there was success at underage level and Terry Hyland, who coached the U21s is working closely with Val, so I'm hoping for future improvement. It mightn't come but Andrews is right to make a break from the past IMO. If nothing more, he'll have sorted some of the unmotivated chaff from the young players coming through. I actually feel sorry for some of these lads because alot of their attitude may come from the fact that they were first called into the county team when it was a joke. If Andrews is now forced to drop them to get a more professional setup going, I'm all for it.

    It may be egotistical but I don't see anything wrong with people keeping their own counsel which is what Andrews is doing. If Seanie wants the reasons, why doesn't he go back and ask Val rather than asking the Independent? I'm a Cavan supporter and I've no rpoblem with what he's doing. perhaps if you knew the ins and outs of our county team over the past twenty years like I do, you'd also agree.


  • Registered Users Posts: 50,846 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover


    Lemlin wrote: »
    How am I being liberal with the truth and reality? Where did I say there were 30 better footballers than Seanie in Cavan or Ulster? You seem to be pulling a number of assertions from my post which I never made. Johnston is a great player but great players don't always fit into teams or tactics. That's my point.

    And do you think none of the others have been dropped from the panel have been dropped for non footballing reasons? Its clearly apparent that some of the other lads have been dropped for that reason and, as I've said, I've absolutely no problem with that. My point is that why should Seanie Johnston be any different to them? Seanie says he got a ten second phone call. He hasn't mentioned anywhere about questioning his dropping or about going back to management re it. He admits himself he was poor last year. As I said, there were better footballers playing for Cavan in the forward line last year than Seanie Johnston.

    Andrews is the manager. I'm happy enough to row in behind him as someone who has watched the past ten years in Cavan with nothing more than other distate. Other than 2005, where we had a decent run in the qualifiers, we've been terrible. I'm sick and tired of players snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, of seeing county players out on the town with important games coming up, of players being called into the county panel and not turning up, of players attending Oxegen instead of matches. If Andrews wants to make a break from the past decade and move forward with the county U21s and minors, the first teams in a long time to actually win anything for the county, I've no problem with that.

    It's fairly evident from the managers that have been through the revolving door in Cavan over the past decade that the managers aren't the problem. I've never said the fella is the Messiah, and he made plenty of mistakes last year, but there was success at underage level and Terry Hyland, who coached the U21s is working closely with Val, so I'm hoping for future improvement. It mightn't come but Andrews is right to make a break from the past IMO. If nothing more, he'll have sorted some of the unmotivated chaff from the young players coming through. I actually feel sorry for some of these lads because alot of their attitude may come from the fact that they were first called into the county team when it was a joke. If Andrews is now forced to drop them to get a more professional setup going, I'm all for it.

    It may be egotistical but I don't see anything wrong with people keeping their own counsel which is what Andrews is doing. If Seanie wants the reasons, why doesn't he go back and ask Val rather than asking the Independent? I'm a Cavan supporter and I've no rpoblem with what he's doing. perhaps if you knew the ins and outs of our county team over the past twenty years like I do, you'd also agree.

    A good place to start would be retaining your best footballers and not ditching them in favour of a manager who never won anything.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin


    keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah if it was Kerry and some guy had come in from elsewhere to manage the team and decide he'd had his fill of Colm Cooper's attitude and all of a sudden Cooper was off to play for Galway or something I'd be more interested in getting in a manager who can handle his players properly than saying cheerio to the player.

    And it's not like we're stuck for quality forwards either.

    People seem to be looking at this as though Val Andrews were Alex Ferguson or something - with a proven amazing record and judgement to be trusted implicitly. Nothing in his achievements, nor anything I've read or heard about him anecdotally suggest he deserves any such faith.

    He'll probably be gone after this year having achieved close to nothing, and Cavan will have lost the best player they've produced since Stephen King for good.

    Priorities are all in a hoop imo.

    Are you forgetting Dermot McCabe? Larry Reilly? Jason Reilly? Anthony Forde? All better players than Sean Johnston IMO. The other side of this is that people are painting Johnston as some sort of messiah. He is a good footballer but not as good as some are stating.

    As I said above, I'm happy enough with what Andrews is doing - getting rid of elements of the old guard with the younger players coming up. It needed to be done long ago in the county so that is why I am happy to support him at the moment.

    Even if we have another terrible season, hopefully the attitude in the camp will have at least changed.


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement