Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeper league

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭boccy23

We never discussed this when the league was set up.

By the rules of calling this a Keeper League, you are right. We should have a max. no. of years, i.e. 3.

Or do we run it as a semi Dynasty League wehere you keep those players indefinitely?

What do people think?

If we are putting a finite value, then I think 3 years is reasonable, i.e. next year we need to put back a lot of players into the draft pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

boccy23 wrote: »
    We never discussed this when the league was set up.

By the rules of calling this a Keeper League, you are right. We should have a max. no. of years, i.e. 3.

Or do we run it as a semi Dynasty League wehere you keep those players indefinitely?

What do people think?

If we are putting a finite value, then I think 3 years is reasonable, i.e. next year we need to put back a lot of players into the draft pool.

I would agree with that but we'd definitely need a majority consensus.

Only worry is how we track it? For instance Harper would be a keeper but I didn't draft him, I just picked him up last season and I'm not sure we'd know the date? Or how would it work?

I think 3 years is reasonable, any longer would probably be too much and be too presumptuous of how long we will all be participating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Yea, I would be up for setting a limit on how long a keepers are kept but I'm in the same boat as 8-10. None of my current keepers are from the first seasons draft. They were either traded for, drafted last season or picked up via FA. Is there any thing in Yahoo to track a players ownership rules in keeper leagues?
    8-10 wrote: »
    Im happy playing Segura everyday instead of him.
    I have Segura in the non-keeper league. Drafted him in case Escobar didn't work out but both are producing so Segura is an everyday player for me aswell. I expect his production to continue...

Do I have to drop a player in order to add an N/A?

That's very annoying. I have a blank N/A spot but can't put a player into it. I need to add him, drop another, move him to N/A and then pick up the player I dropped again a few days later if he's not called up by waivers.

Is there an alternative to this? It seems unfair. DL works the same I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

yeah, thats correct.
    you need to have a roster space available to do it.

• Advertisement

Well that's annoying. What is equally annoying is that my regular 2B is hurt, and despite having Rangers' current 2B on my roster (Profar), he isn't position eligible!

Why is Profar down as just "IF" when he's clearly a SS and how many games does he have to play at 2B for him to be eligible for that spot?

Well that's annoying. What is equally annoying is that my regular 2B is hurt, and despite having Rangers' current 2B on my roster (Profar), he isn't position eligible!

Why is Profar down as just "IF" when he's clearly a SS and how many games does he have to play at 2B for him to be eligible for that spot?
    I would have thought Profar would have been a SS once called up, maybe he was playing at 2B in the minor. For position eligibility, player needs to make 5 starts or 10 appearances at a position to become eligible for the position.

Stanton, Harper, Crawford, Utley, Lawrie.

All on DL. My bats are decimated. :(

Stanton, Harper, Crawford, Utley, Lawrie.

All on DL. My bats are decimated. :(
    Wow, thats alot of injured players to carry. And Strasburg could be on his way there if he cant get through his upcoming bullpen session.

Rendon has been called up from AAA so you'll have to make a roster move to get him into your lineup.

Coeus wrote: »
    Wow, thats alot of injured players to carry. And Strasburg could be on his way there if he cant get through his upcoming bullpen session.

Rendon has been called up from AAA so you'll have to make a roster move to get him into your lineup.

Yeah I dropped Crawford. Always likely to go on the DL and OF is the easiest to replace. Stanton could be back next week it turns out, Harper and Utley aren't far either.

It's a long season. Punting some offensive stats for a couple of weeks then hopefully keep in touch after that.

Strasburg keeping off the DL would be nice.

• Advertisement

Injuries getting more and more ridiculous. Finally made a trade Saturday for a 1B (Teixeira) and then later that day he gets pulled out of the game injured. Once the trade goes through he's probably going to be on the DL where I still have Lawrie, Utley and Harper, with Starling Marte due to go on it as well today.

So I'm already down another player this week and I'm up against the healthy player I'm trading away in the matchup.

:(

Another thing that is beginning to bother me is the Holds category.

Looking back at the last 3 full weeks I totted up the total number of holds in the league:

Week 11: 10 holds
    Week 10: 11 holds
    Week 9: 9 holds

That's a total of 30 holds in 3 weeks for 10 teams, exactly 1 per team on average per week.

That's a bit crap as a category isn't it? If we're only getting 1 each per week it's not very competitive.

I suggest either a) scrapping holds as a category after this season or b) increasing the number of RP positions and number of roster spots overall.

I just think that our league being only 10 teams and both AL and NL means that it's too shallow to properly have holds as a competitive category.

What do other people think? Is it worth having holds as a category? Should we have deeper rosters? Should we have a poll to determine?

Been thinking a bit about the make up of the league as well (last night in fact).

HLDs are a bit hit and miss alright. I like that in ESPN you can combine HLDS and Saves to SLDS.

But you end up creating a run on closers I find and don't end up using a lot of good pitchers, who are fantastic in their own right. For example, League has been shakey, but if he was solid, there would be no need to own Kenley Jansen, who has fantastic numbers! I suppsoe you can still own RPs like him for Ks and WHIP and ERA, but it's Ws and Ss that get you to sign SPs and Closers as they cover 4/5.

I tried Fielding % in one league, and tbh, its a joke of a stat :-)
    Most baseball players make very few errors, so like one error in a whole week could lose you the category.

Additional changes:
    We could bring the number of adds right down to just 3 or 4 to stop streaming of pitching and force people to work with their roster they have.
    We could target the rosters and make the waiver wire less plentiful of available talent.
    Here are 2 leagues I am in:

1) Yahoo - 12 team League. I like the way you have to pick out individual OFs by L/R/C and that you need another MI.

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, LF, CF, RF, OF, UTIL
    SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P
    5 BN
    1 DL

2) ESPN - 8 team (small league, large active roster). Fantasy 'experts' always say that if your league is small enough, you have to play to Cs.
    C, C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 1B/3B, 2B/SS, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, UT
    9 x P
    5 BN
    2 DL

I think Holds is an good category, it forces managers to look deeper into a teams bullpen for talent. Its no different from Saves really, sure some of the setup guys are much better than closer they setup for (Jansen over League been a prime example). As mentioned above combining them is an option but I'm not sure it is a category in Yahoo.

A suggestion I have for mixing up the pitching categories would be to remove Wins and replace Quality Starts. Guys like Kershaw and Harvey who are on teams who dont provide much run support have less than 50% wins for their QS. Having QS rewards having good starting pitching more than the Wins category.

I dont mind reducing the number of roster moves, I was always fine with 6. I'm good with increasing the size of active roster :)

I just remembered I am in a 16 man league (ESPN) with some nerds and the categories are:

Batting:
    HR - Total Bases - SB - AVG - OBP - SLG

Pitching:
    K - Quality Starts - SV - HLD - ERA - WHIP

I have to say I was always against the Holds catagory. Had played it before and it's so obscure and depends on a lot of luck/opportunity which is very hard to manage for.

But now what to do.

Changing next year from Wins to Quality Starts. I have no issue with that.

But to replace holds, we are still looking at an obscure type of stat. I play in a 10x10 league at the moment which has the following:

[FONT=E+H Sans]K TB ERA WHIP K/BB K/9 OBPA WIN% QS SV+H[/FONT]
    [FONT=E+H Sans]So we have plenty to choose from. But which i don't know.[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

I'm for hanging on to Holds, I really don't see the problem with it. The argument that there are only a small number of holds in our league each week is not really a convincing one, there are plenty of Holds guys out there on the waiver wire, people can pick them up if they want. It opens the pool of available players out and makes things more interesting.

What I do think we need to do is start trying to make sure that all owners are actually playing every week. For example, I am playing Seattle Seamonkeys this week. Starting for him this week are Ike Davis (in the minors), and Angel Pagan and Brandon Morrow (both on the DL). He hasn't changed his team all week, and as far as I can see hasn't touched it in months. Why is he still in this league?

Injuries getting more and more ridiculous. Finally made a trade Saturday for a 1B (Teixeira) and then later that day he gets pulled out of the game injured. Once the trade goes through he's probably going to be on the DL

Yep. Not only on the DL but season-ending surgery. Literally got injured hours after I accepted the trade. I need some luck.

boccy23 wrote: »
    I have to say I was always against the Holds catagory. Had played it before and it's so obscure and depends on a lot of luck/opportunity which is very hard to manage for.

But now what to do.

Changing next year from Wins to Quality Starts. I have no issue with that.

But to replace holds, we are still looking at an obscure type of stat. I play in a 10x10 league at the moment which has the following:

[FONT=E+H Sans]K TB ERA WHIP K/BB K/9 OBPA WIN% QS SV+H[/FONT]
    [FONT=E+H Sans]So we have plenty to choose from. But which i don't know.[/FONT]

I noticed Yahoo introduced these this year:

1. Saves + Holds
    2. Net Saves + Holds: saves + holds - blown saves

Should we be forced to play keepers?

HotBalls has been benching his keeper Hanley Ramirez for the past few weeks. Right now he has an IF player starting that is on the DL.

Hanley is batting over .400, OBP over .450 and 8 HR's in 115 at bats this year.

I don't think we should be too rigid in our selection rules, however I don't think we should allow these extremes to happen either.

Benching one of the hottest players in the game in favour of starting a DL player is unfair in my opinion as it gives obvious advantage to those against in the matchup.

I'm honestly not having a go at this particular manager, I'm just curious as to people's thoughts and figured this is a good example.

I don't doubt that anyone else would want to play Hanley the past few weeks. I would love him in my team and have proposed a trade as I hate seeing him benched!

• Advertisement

It's more inactivity than a decision to bench him?

It wasn't long ago that Ramirez was on the DL (in real life). My guess is the last time this team was looked at Ramirez was moved to the bench as he was injured. Now he hasn't been moved back as the owner might not have logged in since.

No one benches hot players? Ramirez has been either hot or injured this season...

I have offered a lot of trades this season to various teams, but I have often cancelled as there was no reply. I would prefer to be turned down, at least I know people have looked at them.

Any further thoughts on what we want to do at seasons end with the Keepers?

Maybe we could throw back all 3 year keepers and only keep any players picked up in subsequent years to a maximum of 6 as previous. If keeping, then that costs the first picks in the draft, i.e. keep 3 players and you don't get to select in the first 3 rounds.

I do like the idea of the 3 year max. For me it's a question of how do we decide what to do.

'NA' position has served a different purpose for me between now and the end of the season.

'NA' position has served a different purpose for me between now and the end of the season.

Braun I'm guessing?

You sure this guy is worth keeping now that the effects of the juice are wearing out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭bit of red72

I see you've number 1 waiver spot there Coeus......

My NA spot has been occupied all year by the number 1 hitting prospect Mr. Oscar Taveras. Absolute waste of time. I also know if I drop him then one of the Cardinals outfield will get hurt and he'll instantly get the call so I have to keep him.

I'd actually like to hold on to the Holds category. I like the slightly deeper knowledge of the bullpens that it requires. It also adds another layer to how you manage your pitchers.

I see you've number 1 waiver spot there Coeus......

My NA spot has been occupied all year by the number 1 hitting prospect Mr. Oscar Taveras. Absolute waste of time. I also know if I drop him then one of the Cardinals outfield will get hurt and he'll instantly get the call so I have to keep him.
    I'm happy with the guy I have in my NA spot. Springer is 1 HR off a 30/30 season in the minors and I expect the Astros to call him up in September. I have him there with the playoffs in mind...

Taveras hasn't done much this season. Granted he has been injured most of it. I know what you are saying about dropping him. He could be the next Mike Trout. Last season I dropped Trout cause he got sick at the start of the season and was very lucky to pick him up before he got the call!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭bit of red72

Springer is your ideal NA - a bit like Puig ended up being for you. He could be the business for you as an unfamiliar hitter later in the season. It's a roll of the dice though. A bit like any start from John Lester!

I'm hanging on to Taveras. It's bound to come good.:D

Hey Guys,

The trade deadline is August 18, 2013.

The reason I flag this is more to do with making a decision on keepers this year.

Have we decided to keep or drop players who we have owned for 3 years? Is this this track-able or do we just have to know?

Knowing what our plans are, will enable owners to make trades of players they are going to lose anyway :-)

Will people be strategic or will people in with a shout of the championship spend to win the title...

• Advertisement

Ok I've gotten royally screwed it looks like.

Used the yahoo iphone app last night 3 hours before the game started to bring in Bud Norris. Immediately moved him into the empty P slot vacated by the player I dropped. Clicked save.

However this morning he's in my lineup in the P slot but I didn't get his stats applied from last night.

On my desktop in the browser version I can now see him on my roster today in the P position but if I click on Aug 6th it gives him as being on the BN?

How can this be possible? Why would he have stayed on the bench and not gone straight into the P position? Why did this just update after the game?

FYI the Orioles game was 3:10 am start and I picked him up about midnight (shows on the site also)

I'm very annoyed that I'm missing out on this win and K's for this week :(

Advertisement