Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone have good/bad experience at Foregolf?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

No. His point seemed to be that the "great experience" someone had was BS. As this is an entirely subjective thing I wondered whether he had any experience at Foregolf of his own. If you're guessing that I doubt he's actually been there you'd be right. My suspicions were further aroused when he inferred that the fitting was "a sales guy being nice to him". My (actual) experience is that Derek and Dave, whilst being very nice guys, don't apply the snake oil at all.

There's a lot more to working with professional golf equipment technicians than someone telling you that "you hooked that one". Do you really think Sergio etc come to Foregolf for that kind of feedback?

Right lets get your suspicions cleared up Inspector Clouseau :rolleyes:

No where have I implied that Foregolf do a bad job. But lets be clear, they are a business and in business to make money; so yes the guys doing the fittings are essentially salesmen too.

What I think is BS is the same old tired posts about having a great experience getting fitted. I should hope so, you have just paid 100 quid for the privilege and you don't even get the results of a fitting you have paid for after (by the way i'm not getting into a debate on their business model either). O and yes I have been fitted by Foregolf, I found the experience good but I am under no illusions, unlike yourself. I paid a premium, in order for them to sell me the clubs they recommended for me.

The objective of getting fitted is to improve your game, ultimately reflected in the scores you shoot and not to have a nice day out. The point I made was how can you say that it is worth every penny getting fitted when their is no evidence it improved your game.

As for Sergio getting fitted there, I assuming he was in the day you were there ;)

dines08 wrote: »
    The fitting was worth the €100 I meant. Jury is still out on the clubs which were a gift. At the end of the day customer service is a big part of it and that's what I base the being worth every penny comment on. An hour hitting shaft and head combos unavailable anywhere else in my vicinity with feedback and explanations of the different combinations pro's and con's by a nice guy who knows what he's talking about. That to me was worth the €100 but to each his own.

That's fair enough but surely the ultimate goal of getting fitted, is to improve your scores and not have a nice time. I can think of better ways to waste a 100 euro ;)

Like you said though, each to their own, but keep us informed on how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

There's a lot more to working with professional golf equipment technicians than someone telling you that "you hooked that one". Do you really think Sergio etc come to Foregolf for that kind of feedback?

Sergio et al have the machine-like ability to (pretty-much) repeat the same swing, so if the only factor changing is the club (head, shaft, grip whatever) then you can draw some conclusions from the results.
    With you or I the same conclusions cannot be drawn as we could hit the same club 10 times and get 10 different results.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

That's fair enough but surely the ultimate goal of getting fitted, is to improve your scores and not have a nice time. I can think of better ways to waste a 100 euro ;)

Like you said though, each to their own, but keep us informed on how you get on.

The original message was a little confused. The proof is in the scores and I'll keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

Whilst I don't doubt Sergio visited Foregolf (actually, I don't know, or care, either way :)), I do find it hard to believe it was purely for a fit and that there wasn't some other marketing/promotional motivation behind it. I can't imagine the TaylorMade facility in Carlsbad being inferior to the setup in Foregolf to be honest.

Thats not to knock Foregolf in the slightest, I'm sure they do a good job and lots of people have great things to say about them. The reason I won't use them is the whole "not getting your specs" issue. If I pay for a fit I should be given the specs IMO - thats what I'm buying from them, the fitting and results. I'd think differently if the fit was part of the purchase price of any clubs, but from what I can gather its not, and IMO the purchase of clubs should be a separate transaction.

As regards fitting in general, its probably a good thing for most people to have done. There's always going to be a subjective element as to whether its worth it though. A bad swing will produce a bad shot no matter what, but ultimately in golf the aim of any fitting or lessons is to make your bad shots better (or less bad), your good shots will still be good. You're probably not going to start peppering the pins just because you got irons fitted.

eg if you've had a fitting you may be more confident with, say, your driver and that in itself might mean you hit 1 less bad drive than normal. That in turn might lead to hitting 2 less bad drives over time etc etc, which will lead to a few more greens hit...........you get the picture.

I recently had a fitting with Titleist in Carton House and think it was well worth it (I can't quantify just yet due to lack of golf with the weather), but in the few rounds I have managed to squeeze in I'm definitely hitting a few more fairways than I would normally do which in turn is improving my scores, driving has been my nemesis for the last few years ;) !!
    I also picked up approx 12-15 yards on my 6 iron by using a different shaft, this was actually where I was really amazed at the results.

All in all, I think a fitting is definitely a good exercise but you shouldn't expect miracles unless you've been using clubs that are totally and utterly wrong for you. Of course you might not know they are until you get fitted :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭big_drive

What format does the fitting in carton house take? Do you pay for fitting seperate or what's the story

You book it through your own club pro (or a golf shop or anyone with an account with Titleist as far as I know) and the bill is sent to whoever you booked it through and you pay them.
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think the cost of the fit is deducted from the purchase price if you then order clubs.
    Full fit took about 90 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭golfnut1

Russman wrote: »
    Whilst I don't doubt Sergio visited Foregolf (actually, I don't know, or care, either way :)), I do find it hard to believe it was purely for a fit and that there wasn't some other marketing/promotional motivation behind it. I can't imagine the TaylorMade facility in Carlsbad being inferior to the setup in Foregolf to be honest.

Thats not to knock Foregolf in the slightest, I'm sure they do a good job and lots of people have great things to say about them. The reason I won't use them is the whole "not getting your specs" issue. If I pay for a fit I should be given the specs IMO - thats what I'm buying from them, the fitting and results. I'd think differently if the fit was part of the purchase price of any clubs, but from what I can gather its not, and IMO the purchase of clubs should be a separate transaction.

As regards fitting in general, its probably a good thing for most people to have done. There's always going to be a subjective element as to whether its worth it though. A bad swing will produce a bad shot no matter what, but ultimately in golf the aim of any fitting or lessons is to make your bad shots better (or less bad), your good shots will still be good. You're probably not going to start peppering the pins just because you got irons fitted.

eg if you've had a fitting you may be more confident with, say, your driver and that in itself might mean you hit 1 less bad drive than normal. That in turn might lead to hitting 2 less bad drives over time etc etc, which will lead to a few more greens hit...........you get the picture.

I recently had a fitting with Titleist in Carton House and think it was well worth it (I can't quantify just yet due to lack of golf with the weather), but in the few rounds I have managed to squeeze in I'm definitely hitting a few more fairways than I would normally do which in turn is improving my scores, driving has been my nemesis for the last few years ;) !!
    I also picked up approx 12-15 yards on my 6 iron by using a different shaft, this was actually where I was really amazed at the results.

All in all, I think a fitting is definitely a good exercise but you shouldn't expect miracles unless you've been using clubs that are totally and utterly wrong for you. Of course you might not know they are until you get fitted :D

Spot on russman totally agree especially with your point that the sale of equipment should be a completely separate transaction.
    Good luck with the new clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Russman wrote: »
    You book it through your own club pro (or a golf shop or anyone with an account with Titleist as far as I know) and the bill is sent to whoever you booked it through and you pay them.
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think the cost of the fit is deducted from the purchase price if you then order clubs.
    Full fit took about 90 mins.

That sounds like a good deal if you are into the Titliest gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Just in case anyone is interested Fore golf are now based in Kileen Castle.

• Advertisement

k.p.h wrote: »
    That sounds like a good deal if you are into the Titliest gear.

Yep, thats the only thing ForeGolf have over Carton IMO in that its only Titleist in Carton whereas you can try all the brands with Foregolf.

I ended up getting Mizuno's equivalent irons in the same specs as the Titleist ones that Carton recommended, ssshhhh don't tell Mr Titleist !!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Right lets get your suspicions cleared up Inspector Clouseau :rolleyes:

No where have I implied that Foregolf do a bad job. But lets be clear, they are a business and in business to make money; so yes the guys doing the fittings are essentially salesmen too.

What I think is BS is the same old tired posts about having a great experience getting fitted. I should hope so, you have just paid 100 quid for the privilege and you don't even get the results of a fitting you have paid for after (by the way i'm not getting into a debate on their business model either). O and yes I have been fitted by Foregolf, I found the experience good but I am under no illusions, unlike yourself. I paid a premium, in order for them to sell me the clubs they recommended for me.

The objective of getting fitted is to improve your game, ultimately reflected in the scores you shoot and not to have a nice day out. The point I made was how can you say that it is worth every penny getting fitted when their is no evidence it improved your game.

As for Sergio getting fitted there, I assuming he was in the day you were there ;)

It's a shame you didn't get more out of your fitting with them and I'm glad you don't share my illusions whatever you think they may be. You also seem to have me confused with someone else who has seen no evidence of improvement since visiting Foregolf. I've enjoyed solid improvement. But to each his own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

GreeBo wrote: »
    Sergio et al have the machine-like ability to (pretty-much) repeat the same swing, so if the only factor changing is the club (head, shaft, grip whatever) then you can draw some conclusions from the results.
    With you or I the same conclusions cannot be drawn as we could hit the same club 10 times and get 10 different results.

But that's entirely the point. The results indicate what the correct setup will be. Nearly every player will have certain tendencies and traits that can be optimised. Club fitting is not just for pros, most golfers will benefit from having the tools that give them the best opportunity to play well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

Im going to Foregolf tomorrow, and on the point of Sergio using foregolf instead of taylormades facility.....Well i also have taylormades tour dept at my disposal for free if i want it. And after using them for some of my equipment, im now going to foregolf to pay for my equipment to be sorted... :)
    Il report back with my experience tomorrow night, but on past visits ive had nothing but good results......

It's a shame you didn't get more out of your fitting with them and I'm glad you don't share my illusions whatever you think they may be. You also seem to have me confused with someone else who has seen no evidence of improvement since visiting Foregolf. I've enjoyed solid improvement. But to each his own I guess.

I got what I needed out of it but as I pointed out at the end of the day they are a business; and that great experience, which you pay a premium for, is there to sell you clubs. It does not provide you with a fitting, as they don't pass these details across to the customer.

My reference to have seeing no improvement was directed at the original poster and how he claimed the purchase was well worth the money, even though he has not had enough time to see any improvement. But then again you wouldn't have known that as you seem incapable of reading through the thread and are only intent on challenging anyone who you perceive being negative towards Foregolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

I'm sorry, but can some one show me a link or a piece that says Sergio is a customer of ForeGolf's?? the only thing i can find is that he asked could he have a look around the truck and use some of the equipment while they where set up at the Old Head. ForeGolf do carry stock of heads and shafts, and quiet a bit of the time they will, like any other business, after all this is what they are, push a product on to customers that makes them the best margin. And there is nothing wrong with doing so if it is not detrimental to the player.

Had a full fitting today in their new facility in Killeen castle, the new setup is of the highest quality end of.

Right my situation.....Im ordering new irons, and wanted an opinion on my R11 driver burner 3w and rescue, purely on the shafts as the heads were tour issued so nothing wrong with the heads!

Irons- My current setup is fine, only changes to make for new irons is weight, which is ideal as the new irons ordered are tmade mb blades with interchangeable weights......Foregolf are the only golf company permitted to carry these weights independantly- Result! So-i wasnt at any time pushed into changing the shafts for profit reasons....in fact i wanted something different and Derek highlighted the performance from my own is spot on!

My new irons will have 3,4,5 iron with nippon 950gh x tipped 1/4".
    6-pw iron with DG SL x100
    So..........You might notice 2 different shafts in my irons?? This is the setup i have at the mo however my current 6-pw are much heavier than my 3 4 5 iron...... These were built on tour......:rolleyes:
    Foregolf will be able to have all my new irons weighted identical.... I cant see anyone else being able to build a set of clubs in this detail!
    This attention to detail dosnt seem to me like a slamdunk business transaction.... We left my wedges until end of feb as im in OZ from next week at tournaments. Again no pressure.

They refused to change my driver shaft, my current one performing well, however as im working on my fitness il need something slightly different later in the year, so they are building me a Miyazaki black x, this will be a backup for later months and can be collected whenever!

3w- Changed this......motore speeder will be replaced for an oldschool speeder 757 x flex.....and will be ready in a few days......

rescue- No change as my own felt and performed well.

Loft and lie check and adjustments on all irons..(at my request)

Not once did i feel like i was being sold anything, whoever comes up with this opinion obviously goes there with a chip on their shoulder or some kind of agenda. Yes of course these people run a business! The fitting fee clearly covers an hour (and more usually) of world class golf club fitters, along with a huge selection of equipment in all brands at your disposal! I mean come on!! Where else would you get this facility without being a tour player!

Anyway its certainly worth it to be given the option of having the best equipment possible in your bag. Im very lucky to be a good player, but never have i asked for or recieved special treatment. Ive always been treated exactly the same as a 20hcap person trying to improve, and thats a good thing!

So end the begrudgery i think and lets applaud an irish run business that has grown hugely in stature in a very difficult period in Ireland.

G

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abugarcia

can custom fitting be of benefit to ones game even with a high handicap?:mad:

Abugarcia wrote: »
    can custom fitting be of benefit to ones game even with a high handicap?:mad:

Of course! Higher hcap should benefit more than a good player as they need more help from technology!

gorfield wrote: »
    Had a full fitting today in their new facility in Killeen castle, the new setup is of the highest quality end of.

Right my situation.....Im ordering new irons, and wanted an opinion on my R11 driver burner 3w and rescue, purely on the shafts as the heads were tour issued so nothing wrong with the heads!

Irons- My current setup is fine, only changes to make for new irons is weight, which is ideal as the new irons ordered are tmade mb blades with interchangeable weights......Foregolf are the only golf company permitted to carry these weights independantly- Result! So-i wasnt at any time pushed into changing the shafts for profit reasons....in fact i wanted something different and Derek highlighted the performance from my own is spot on!

So..........You might notice 2 different shafts in my irons?? This is the setup i have at the mo however my current 6-pw are much heavier than my 3 4 5 iron...... These were built on tour......:rolleyes:
    Foregolf will be able to have all my new irons weighted identical.... I cant see anyone else being able to build a set of clubs in this detail!
    This attention to detail dosnt seem to me like a slamdunk business transaction.... We left my wedges until end of feb as im in OZ from next week at tournaments. Again no pressure.

They refused to change my driver shaft, my current one performing well, however as im working on my fitness il need something slightly different later in the year, so they are building me a Miyazaki black x, this will be a backup for later months and can be collected whenever!

3w- Changed this......motore speeder will be replaced for an oldschool speeder 757 x flex.....and will be ready in a few days......

Not once did i feel like i was being sold anything, whoever comes up with this opinion obviously goes there with a chip on their shoulder or some kind of agenda. Yes of course these people run a business! The fitting fee clearly covers an hour (and more usually) of world class golf club fitters, along with a huge selection of equipment in all brands at your disposal! I mean come on!! Where else would you get this facility without being a tour player!

Anyway its certainly worth it to be given the option of having the best equipment possible in your bag. Im very lucky to be a good player, but never have i asked for or recieved special treatment. Ive always been treated exactly the same as a 20hcap person trying to improve, and thats a good thing!

So end the begrudgery i think and lets applaud an irish run business that has grown hugely in stature in a very difficult period in Ireland.

G

Great feedback gorfield
    I have no doubt these guys are good at what they do but the problem I and others have is if their niche market is custom fitting then fine let them charge x for fitting and specs.
    Making a sale mandatory in order to get the specs is like eating your cake and wanting it too in my opinion.
    I'm sure they are nice guys and all that but there business model puts a lot of people off using them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭big_drive

G

Just wondering how many wedges you carry & what lofts?

Also what putter you use & what specs etc? Were you fitted for putter

big_drive wrote: »
    Just wondering how many wedges you carry & what lofts?

Also what putter you use & what specs etc? Were you fitted for putter

I have 48 53 58.5 wedges

I use a 16yr old taylomade nubbins.....why?? It works!!

golfnut1 wrote: »
    Great feedback gorfield
    I have no doubt these guys are good at what they do but the problem I and others have is if their niche market is custom fitting then fine let them charge x for fitting and specs.
    Making a sale mandatory in order to get the specs is like eating your cake and wanting it too in my opinion.
    I'm sure they are nice guys and all that but there business model puts a lot of people off using them.

what's the point in you taking your specs and some cowboy butchering your clubs?? Don't be silly, go to foregolf, your full of criticism and you haven't been there! I think a Ferrari is terrible value for money, they won't sell you a new one, u have to be invited by them to own one!! I heard they are real gangsters in maranello!! Have I been there? No... Have I driven a Ferrari? No.... :rolleyes:

Great feedback gorfield

what's the point in you taking your specs and some cowboy butchering your clubs?? Don't be silly, go to foregolf, your full of criticism and you haven't been there! I think a Ferrari is terrible value for money, they won't sell you a new one, u have to be invited by them to own one!! I heard they are real gangsters in maranello!! Have I been there? No... Have I driven a Ferrari? No.... :rolleyes:

By cowboys I presume you mean custom built direct from the likes of mizuno, titleist, taylormade yeah I know right cowboys alright.
    If you can't figure out why you have to purchase in order to get your specs that's your own fault.
    The old saying fool and his money comes to mind

By cowboys I presume you mean custom built direct from the likes of mizuno, titleist, taylormade yeah I know right cowboys alright.
    If you can't figure out why you have to purchase in order to get your specs that's your own fault.

I have access to tour dept of many brands!! Do you think id ignore that if i wasnt sure foregolf was the best? sorry but my equipment is of the upmost importance to me! For the sake of a small price difference im delighted with the fact i have the best clubs possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

How about this for a scenario: Foregolf fit you for a full set of clubs. You go direct to Titleist with their spec sheet and ask them to build your clubs as per fore golfs fitting.

Six months done the line you're not entirely happy with the driver, who's accountable? You cant go back to Titleist as they only built the clubs you asked for, Fore Golf will tell you they can't be responsible for clubs they didn't build.
    Why on earth would you want to get fitted by one company and get another to build your clubs? That sounds like madness to me...

Benny Cake wrote: »
    How about this for a scenario: Foregolf fit you for a full set of clubs. You go direct to Titleist with their spec sheet and ask them to build your clubs as per fore golfs fitting.

Six months done the line you're not entirely happy with the driver, who's accountable? You cant go back to Titleist as they only built the clubs you asked for, Fore Golf will tell you they can't be responsible for clubs they didn't build.
    Why on earth would you want to get fitted by one company and get another to build your clubs? That sounds like madness to me...

Thread closed. :D

I have access to tour dept of many brands!! Do you think id ignore that if i wasnt sure foregolf was the best? sorry but my equipment is of the upmost importance to me! For the sake of a small price difference im delighted with the fact i have the best clubs possible!

I'm glad your happy with your with equipment. As I said before I'm sure the guys are great at what they do. At the level you play at I have no doubt that your are more than qualified the access whether they are the business or not.
    I just don't like the pricing structure and as a matter of principle would not use them but each to there own.

Benny Cake wrote: »

Who's accountable? That would be you for being such a fussy git!!!

If you can't understand why I'd like that as an option well I'm not going to bother explaining it to you

• Advertisement

I'm glad your happy with your with equipment. As I said before I'm sure the guys are great at what they do. At the level you play at I have no doubt that your are more than qualified the access whether they are the business or not.
    I just don't like the pricing structure and as a matter of principle would not use them but each to there own.

Thats a pity, one of my clubmates bought new titleist irons there and including the fitting price the price difference from mcguirks custom fitting into a net was a little under 190e. If you have your clubs 4yrs thats 47.50 per year. Possibly worth the investment imho

Advertisement