Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone have good/bad experience at Foregolf?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

big_drive wrote: »
    Fitted first in late 2009 when off 13

Fitted again last October, now playing off 5

Over that period I would have changed my shot shape from a fade to a draw. Also swing speed with driver went from 96 mph to 104 mph.
    So I now have lightweight extra stiff shafts in driver , 5 wood , hybrid and irons. Bought new driver, 5 wood, hybrid. Kept my irons but had them reshafted (dynamic gold SL X100)

Old shafts were stiff in woods and irons (Nippon 950's)

Out of interest did they say why the SL X100 were more appropriate for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sgt_Beaker

Out of interest how much did the AP2s cost you - presuming you got 5-PW? Looking at the same myself.

The AP2s cost me €1200 for 3-PW, got a bit off the total as I got a 3 Wood, Rescue, and 54* wedge too.

Edit: the shafts in the irons are TT SL X100, lightweight, extra stiff and 2" over normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭big_drive

Out of interest did they say why the SL X100 were more appropriate for you?

Basically they seemed to have tightened up my misses. With my old shafts I seemed to be having a few bad misses to the left during the course if a round. If I'm off line now it doesn't seem to be as damaging. Maybe the combination of a heavier & stiffer shaft is helping to achieve this improvement.
    I've not scored worse than 33 points since getting the clubs so with qualifying comps finally here I'm hoping to get a few cuts. Aim for year is to get from 5 to 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I'm very, very tempted - it's just that they seem very, very expensive :(

I also don't like the disengenuous price comparison on their website trying to state that they are very close in price to normal stores. Think I'll have a fitting and see what they quote me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

I'm very, very tempted - it's just that they seem very, very expensive :(

I also don't like the disengenuous price comparison on their website trying to state that they are very close in price to normal stores. Think I'll have a fitting and see what they quote me :confused:

If you know you want AP2's maybe go through your Pro to Carton. If you know him well he might not lash on to big a mark up. Got a set of CB's 3-PW (went wanting Ap2's but hit the others better and am well pleased with them) with shafts upgraded to DG SL300 and only paid just over €800 plus €50 for the Fitting (They threw in half a dozen prov's so only really €25 for the fit)

A lot to be said for being loyal to your local Pro, any decent one some business sense and remember who buys regularly off them and look after you as a loyal customer

Also remember all the extras add up quickly 8 grip upgrades to multicompound could be 8*15 = extra €120 (leave it for a few years)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

was in mcguirks yesterday and pretty sure I saw AP2 for around 600...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sgt_Beaker

GreeBo wrote: »
    was in mcguirks yesterday and pretty sure I saw AP2 for around 600...

If you want to buy off the shelf then buy off the shelf. You can't compare custom built prices with McGuirks. Try buying off the shelf, then add on a custom fit, reshafting, regripping and balancing.

Should mention I got multi compound grips on the clubs and wasn't charged extra for requesting these grips

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Sgt_Beaker wrote: »
    If you want to buy off the shelf then buy off the shelf. You can't compare custom built prices with McGuirks. Try buying off the shelf, then add on a custom fit, reshafting, regripping and balancing.

fair enough...but twice the price?
    tbh Id take my chances hitting them into the simulator in McGuirks.
    If I didn't like them I could always buy another set and sell the first and I'm still ahead.

Even for big_drive, Im guessing you got to 5 (or near enough?) with the old set, so its not like thy were holding you back...

each to their own I guess, I'd spend it on lessons (though clearly you needed an xstiff shaft in the driver at that speed)

GreeBo wrote: »
    fair enough...but twice the price?
    tbh Id take my chances hitting them into the simulator in McGuirks.
    If I didn't like them I could always buy another set and sell the first and I'm still ahead.

Even for big_drive, Im guessing you got to 5 (or near enough?) with the old set, so its not like thy were holding you back...

each to their own I guess, I'd spend it on lessons (though clearly you needed an xstiff shaft in the driver at that speed)

When I say old set I'm talking about the first set from Foregolf. Prior to that I had a set of oversize King Cobra irons with some type of lite flex shaft. Within 5 weeks of getting the Foregolf set I dropped from 13 to 8. I believe they must have helped as I spent the previous year stuck on 13. The results and improvements were almost immediate with the new clubs. Having said that it does take about 5 rounds to get used to new clubs I think.
    In 2012 then I dropped to 5. Decided to get fit again at end of year as I knew my swing had changed and I was striking better. Again the changes seem to have worked but its too soon to see if there will be an improvement in handicap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

Just to add my tuppenceworth to this thread....

Went out to Foregolf for a driver fitting today, to be honest, more as a treat to myself out of curiosity than anything, and also wanting to hit various makes/models against each other at the same fitting. I'm happy-ish with my own driver, but I wanted to see if there was something "better" out there for me. Being a lefty, the selection of models at demo nights in driving ranges isn't great and its always only one make at each demo so it can be hard to see how manufacturers stack up against one another.

Anyway, long story short, the guys out there are extremely helpful and professional and I found the whole thing excellent. Its remarkably similar to the set up with Titleist in Carton House with added the benefit of more manufacturers. Only downside is they don't do Ping (a pretty big downside in my opinion however).

I tried a number of different heads and shafts and could see the results on screen with each. I was given a recommendation and its totally up to me whether I go for it or not, there's no pressure to buy or anything like that.

I'm not in a position to buy just yet and I'll obviously compare the price quoted with what my own pro can do for me, but overall its a good experience and worth it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Mizuno Man

Playing with a young lad last year in an open comp and he told me a funny story. He went to foregolf to possibly have his driver shaft redone. When he booked in the guy in the workshop (father I think) took a look at his club and said "That's an awful shaft. Who fitted you for that?", to which the lad replied "eh, you guys did!".

Personally, I found them to be very good but extremely expensive. You can talk all day about the difference in value between a cheap fitting elsewhere and an expensive one 'done right', but let's be honest, will an of us amateurs ever swing consistently enough to be able to spot the difference??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

big_drive wrote: »
    Basically they seemed to have tightened up my misses.

Hmmm - I might send mine down there too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

lol POTY

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭plumber77

That's pure gold right there..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Hi lads.
    I'm booked in for a fitting in a few weeks time but i found it strange that the guy i was talking to on the phone wouldn't give me a (ballpark) price range for different brands they do.
    I know it depends on what the exact customisation is but surely there is a limit to how this influences the price added.

I couldn't get any commitment on this. They insisted the price was effectively open-ended.

Also, it seems to be the case that the fitting is worthless if you don't actually make a subsequent purchase. As they don't give you the specs unless you purchase. Interestingly i had to ask about this instead of this information being volunteered.

I'm willing to spend a fair amount but i don't want to go in blind. I suggested that i may just get irons first (if cost of full set was outside my budget) with a view to coming back later to pick up a couple of woods. I presume in that case a re-fitting (at a cost of 100 euro) will not be re-incurred. Can anyone confirm this for me.
    Thanks.

Ya that's correct. You can get fitted for everything the day you're in and then purchase the items whenever you can. I think it was nearly 3 months after my fitting when I ordered my irons. Got the woods a few weeks after that when got the cash together

I had a driver fitting done a few weeks back and thought it was a great experience, the guy seemed knowledgeable and there wasn't a sales push at all.
    However the price for the driver quoted was very expensive and when I got my own pro to get a price for that club spec it turns out the manufacturer doesn't offer that shaft as an option (even as a TP option). It made the cynical side of me wonder if they got a job lot of shafts in and found a way to make "their" shaft fit :)
    Possibly not, but it put a tiny seed of doubt in my mind.

Russman wrote: »
    I had a driver fitting done a few weeks back and thought it was a great experience, the guy seemed knowledgeable and there wasn't a sales push at all.
    However the price for the driver quoted was very expensive and when I got my own pro to get a price for that club spec it turns out the manufacturer doesn't offer that shaft as an option (even as a TP option). It made the cynical side of me wonder if they got a job lot of shafts in and found a way to make "their" shaft fit :)

Don't get what you mean?

The manufacturer doesn't offer it but Foregolf does. Is that not an excellent thing if its the best shaft for you?
    Means Foregolf can get it very exact for each individual as they're not tied to certain shafts the way a brand like TM, titleist, etc are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Russman wrote: »

Surely all this is a good thing. You get the shaft deemed most suitable for you, not one of the handful Taylormade can supply...

• Advertisement

You could well be right. I might source that shaft myself and try it if I do invest in a new driver and then I'd know I guess.
    I was just a little dubious as it was a shaft I'd never in a million years have suggested for my puny swing speed. The up charge also seemed a lot for what was a stock option last year with some companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I have a set of forged irons and wedges that I never had customised... anyone know if it's possible at Foregolf to have them custom fit for myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

lawred2 wrote: »
    I have a set of forged irons and wedges that I never had customised... anyone know if it's possible at Foregolf to have them custom fit for myself?

They can do anythin you want with them

Advertisement