Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone have good/bad experience at Foregolf?

Options
  • 22-11-2011 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I was thinking of going for a fitting with Foregolf, to try to find a driver to get my game back on track. i'm fairly good with the irons but the driver is very unpredictable. anyone have any comments?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭Trampas

you should try the search option on here but here you go anyway

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056142869

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

I dont know what your handicap or level of play is but personally I would recommend a session with a pro first... check the stance and the swing... make sure the spine angle is correct... get a few tips to work on at the range.

If you are happy with all of that.... then go or the fitting and new driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 finlayspub1

id head to ur local pro first , fore golf tend to recommend something that they have a lot of in stock and seem to charge an arm and a leg for it after.
    Ive seen a lot of their work and some of it was very very poor .
    My opinion only but find out for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

id head to ur local pro first , fore golf tend to recommend something that they have a lot of in stock and seem to charge an arm and a leg for it after.

You must know what you are talking about so....

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭acejeff

I have to say that my experience was totally opposite. I found there were no brands pushed on me. I knew what I wanted in my irons, Titleist CB/MB mix, yet I was still afforded the opportunity to try out mizuno, cleveland and taylormade irons. The driver i was open to all suggestions and tried a number of offerings from Taylormade, Titleist, Cleveland, Srixon and Callaway.
    I would also say that I have found their work to be top notch, yes they do charge a bit more but these clubs are hand built and calibrated and I for one, as a keen golfer with a good understanding of the game, can feel the benefits of this work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

I am shocked at the negative comments ive seen here about foregolf. Im a customer of theirs for many years, and i quite simply would not trust anyone elses opinions on equipment.
    Fore golf work with some of the best players in the world on their equipment, and i constantly hear amateurs whining about how the pros get looked after so well getting clubs made perfectly for them........
    Well we all watched Sergio winning back to back a few weeks ago???? I doubt many know who Sergio trusts with his equipment??? Fore golf......
    Expensive? Marginally..... But having the World clubmaker of the year building your clubs is a service that cannot be found anywhere. Fore golf simply dont push you into what they "have in stock" by the way. Why?? They dont carry stock! They carry vast amounts of demo equipment....then order you clubs in component form and hand build them to perfection, as opposed to mass production in a factory in china.

I know what i prefer anyway.
    Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 paperplanes1988

fore golf tend to recommend something that they have a lot of in stock and seem to charge an arm and a leg for it after.

I have come across literally at least six/seven guys over the past year who have shown me their "tour" or "limited edition" Aldila Protopype driver shaft, which Fore have told them all is a rare/wrx shaft. They are charging serious cash for it and I'm guessing are buying them in serious bulk from Golf Smith or whoever. I know at the end of the day if it works who cares, but it is just that I have seen a lot of people who fore fitted, but the similarities in all their gear is just remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 paperplanes1988

gorfield wrote: »
    I am shocked at the negative comments ive seen here about foregolf. Im a customer of theirs for many years, and i quite simply would not trust anyone elses opinions on equipment.
    Fore golf work with some of the best players in the world on their equipment, and i constantly hear amateurs whining about how the pros get looked after so well getting clubs made perfectly for them........
    Well we all watched Sergio winning back to back a few weeks ago???? I doubt many know who Sergio trusts with his equipment??? Fore golf......
    Expensive? Marginally..... But having the World clubmaker of the year building your clubs is a service that cannot be found anywhere. Fore golf simply dont push you into what they "have in stock" by the way. Why?? They dont carry stock! They carry vast amounts of demo equipment....then order you clubs in component form and hand build them to perfection, as opposed to mass production in a factory in china.

Rant over.

Seriously?! Sergio Garcia ignores the TMaG Tour Van and the various TaylorMade Tour installations in the US to get fitted by Fore Golf?

And yes, they do carry stock. They carry the shaft and build components of their clubs. They may not keep the particular heads in stock, but they most certainly keep the shafts. I know this beyond dispute from first hand info.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭acejeff

Rant over.

Well said Gorfield. (and by the way I saw on another post that you won Senior Golfer of the Year- I don't know you but congratulations, a great achievement).
    My visit this year was my first experience of foregolf having previously gone to my pro for fitting. Club pros are more likely to be brand loyal and try sell you a particular brand as many are sponsored by a particular manufacturer to do just that.
    I have had such a great experience and can feel the difference that my new irons have made in terms of feel, consistency of swingweight throughout the set and desired ball flight. Like you I will be putting my trust in them for my equipment from now on.
    Much of the negative feedback is from people who want a brand new BMW 5 series for the price of a Ford Focus.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Rant over.
    I wouldn't bother being 'shocked' by the negative comments...
    It's a wonder yer man finlayspub1 did'nt say that he knows a great place in the midlands where you can get custom fitted proper with a grand set of cleveland, cobra or nike.

With a history of being a shill, I'd hold his comments in zero regard :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Foregolf are top drawer and we're lucky to have them on our doorstep. They've never pushed me down a particular brand path and for that matter haven't been overly aggressive with their pricing either. That said I expect to pay for the service they provide and I want them to be around for the next 30-40 years.

My advice is to ignore the begrudgers and know-nothings OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭golfnut1

It was asked in another tread but it would be very interesting to hear from people who have gotten fit from fg as to your specs just to see if there is a massive difference. Perhaps a little bit of background if possible swingspeed, hcp also price might be interesting to see.
    I haven't used them so can't start the ball rolling (no pun intended) but I am considering possibly using them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

golfnut1 wrote: »
    It was asked in another tread but it would be very interesting to hear from people who have gotten fit from fg as to your specs just to see if there is a massive difference. Perhaps a little bit of background if possible swingspeed, hcp also price might be interesting to see.
    I haven't used them so can't start the ball rolling (no pun intended) but I am considering possibly using them in the future.

Good idea!!!!

Say a matrix the OP could update based on users input.

H/Cap
    driver recommended
    Driver shaft recommended
    irons recommended
    iron shafts recommended
    Wedges recommended

Would be very useful to get a closer look at them and what they are fitting people with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well I phoned them a few months back for fitting of irons, they were booked out for 3 months and would only accept a full fitting session including driver, I'm happy with my driver so said there is no need and I was told you'll have to pay for it anyhow, I asked could I get a copy of the driver fitting (given I was not going to change my driver there and then but could be useful in the future) and was told I would not be given the results unlessed I purchased a driver from them.
    So, I don't want a driver fitting but I have to have it and then I can't get the results I said, did I pick it up wrong? No says FG, thats the way we operate.

I had my irons fitted elsewhere and have no intention of going near FG. They may be busy, may have a good reputation but poor customer service, if I pay for something I expect something for my money, what's the point in paying for a driver fitting and them giving you nothing......

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 finlayspub1

im only voicing my opinion phillip marlowe , its my experience and iv no allegience to anyone , so go where you like ,you seem put out by my comments ,,,,

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

im only voicing my opinion phillip marlowe , its my experience and iv no allegience to anyone , so go where you like ,you seem put out by my comments ,,,,
    I see the commas are back in force.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭big_drive

Good idea!!!!

H/Cap
    driver recommended
    Driver shaft recommended
    irons recommended
    iron shafts recommended
    Wedges recommended

Would be very useful to get a closer look at them and what they are fitting people with.

Driver: Cleveland xl 270 with Aldila dvs 60 stiff shaft

3 wood: Cleveland launcher dst with stiff Aldila nv 65 shaft

Hybrid: Cleveland mashie 20.5 deg with stiff shaft

Irons: cleveland cg7 black peril tour with Nippon Ns pro 950 stiff

Handicap at fitting: ( April 2011) 13

Handicap now: 8

big_drive wrote: »
    Good idea!!!!

H/Cap
    driver recommended
    Driver shaft recommended
    irons recommended
    iron shafts recommended
    Wedges recommended

Driver: Cleveland xl 270 with Aldila nvs 60 stiff shaft

Irons: cleveland cg7 black peril tour with Nippon Ns pro 950 stiff

Handicap at fitting: ( April 2011) 13

Handicap now: 8

Very good.
    Would you attribute your equipment to lowering your hcp or did you get lessons? Maybe a bit of both?
    Did you want Cleveland stuff or was that recommend?
    Finally were you happy with your experience and would you recommend?
    thanks for your feedback it will help make up my mind to use them or not.

I would put it down to the clubs. The irons in particular, starting hitting more greens. And my drives were less off track so a bad shot wasn't as "bad" if u follow what I mean. Something that might have out of bounds before was still in play for example

I have never had a lesson so this was not a factor

I was given a list of reccommendations with different clubs to pick from, mostly either Cleveland or Taylormade

I was 100% happy with my own personal experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

big_drive wrote: »
    I would put it down to the clubs. The irons in particular, starting hitting more greens. And my drives were less off track so a bad shot wasn't as "bad" if u follow what I mean. Something that might have out of bounds before was still in play for example

I have never had a lesson so this was not a factor

I was given a list of reccommendations with different clubs to pick from, mostly either Cleveland or Taylormade

I was 100% happy with my own personal experience

In fairness if I shelled out over a grand and a half on clubs i'd be more motivated to work on my game or play more. I wouldn't just say its the club specs, I would hazard a guess there is also a bit of a placebo effect.

• Advertisement

Quite possibly. Think I paid something around €1,200 in total. Plus they threw in a free wedge as I was ordering a full set

Anyone know if fg pure the shafts when building the clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

Got fitted 3rd of December and must say it was worth every penny. Great experience and lovely people to deal with.

Swing Speed Driver: 96-100mph
    Handicap:14

Was fitted for a new shaft for my Titleist 910 D2 head.
    After hitting 10-15 different options I was fitted for the Proforce V2 66g Stiff and weight adjustment in the head of the driver.
    I also don't have a 3 or 5 wood and after trying out 5-6 different head shaft combo's I had a choice of 2. Went with the Taylormad Burner 2.0 Superfast 5 wood with an Oban Devition 5 Stiff flex. Going into the session I was happy with my irons and wedges and was under no pressure to buy. I did however get to hit different head/shaft combos for future reference. Haven't gotten out playing much due to weather so will update once I truly get a feel for the clubs. Pricing wasn't overly expensive compared to the price online of each component of the clubs I bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

dines08 wrote: »
    Got fitted 3rd of December and must say it was worth every penny. Great experience and lovely people to deal with.

Swing Speed Driver: 96-100mph
    Handicap:14

Was fitted for a new shaft for my Titleist 910 D2 head.
    After hitting 10-15 different options I was fitted for the Proforce V2 66g Stiff and weight adjustment in the head of the driver.
    I also don't have a 3 or 5 wood and after trying out 5-6 different head shaft combo's I had a choice of 2. Went with the Taylormad Burner 2.0 Superfast 5 wood with an Oban Devition 5 Stiff flex. Going into the session I was happy with my irons and wedges and was under no pressure to buy. I did however get to hit different head/shaft combos for future reference. Haven't gotten out playing much due to weather so will update once I truly get a feel for the clubs. Pricing wasn't overly expensive compared to the price online of each component of the clubs I bought.

So how do you know it was worth every penny?

I don't get this it was a great experience bullsh1t (mainly when people talk about foregolf on here), I'm paying to improve my scores not have some sales guy be nice to me. Has it improved your scores in some measurable way? If not then why waste the money or if you haven't had enough time playing, then how can you even say it was worth every penny?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

I don't get this it was a great experience bullsh1t (mainly when people talk about foregolf on here), I'm paying to improve my scores not have some sales guy be nice to me. Has it improved your scores in some measurable way? If not then why waste the money or if you haven't had enough time playing, then how can you even say it was worth every penny?

The fitting was worth the €100 I meant. Jury is still out on the clubs which were a gift. At the end of the day customer service is a big part of it and that's what I base the being worth every penny comment on. An hour hitting shaft and head combos unavailable anywhere else in my vicinity with feedback and explanations of the different combinations pro's and con's by a nice guy who knows what he's talking about. That to me was worth the €100 but to each his own.

Have you been to Foregolf for a fitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Have you been to Foregolf for a fitting?

I think the point bustercherry is making is that until you see some improvements in your scores its not really helping your golf game.
    I will be nice to anyone and let them hit lots of shafts for an hour for €75 euro.
    I will even give feedback on each shot
    - "That one that went way left, you hooked that one.."
    etc
    etc

As such, I dont see how its worth it for your golf game...

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭saintastic

GreeBo wrote: »
    I think the point bustercherry is making is that until you see some improvements in your scores its not really helping your golf game.
    I will be nice to anyone and let them hit lots of shafts for an hour for €75 euro.
    etc
    etc

If you get correctly fitted for clubs, it is very reassuring knowing that any future problems you have on the course are not down to the arrows, it is only the Indian's fault.

GreeBo wrote: »
    etc
    etc

No. His point seemed to be that the "great experience" someone had was BS. As this is an entirely subjective thing I wondered whether he had any experience at Foregolf of his own. If you're guessing that I doubt he's actually been there you'd be right. My suspicions were further aroused when he inferred that the fitting was "a sales guy being nice to him". My (actual) experience is that Derek and Dave, whilst being very nice guys, don't apply the snake oil at all.

There's a lot more to working with professional golf equipment technicians than someone telling you that "you hooked that one". Do you really think Sergio etc come to Foregolf for that kind of feedback?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

saintastic wrote: »
    If you get correctly fitted for clubs, it is very reassuring knowing that any future problems you have on the course are not down to the arrows, it is only the Indian's fault.
    Thats making the massive assumption that this Indians swing doesnt change at all for the lifetime of the clubs...maybe he no longer needs that massive fade bias or offset...then what...another €100 and a new set?

Off the shelf unless you are obviously tall/short/fat/skinny/strong/weak will suit the vast majority of golfers who consistently average a handicap of ~16.

Advertisement