Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham Ante Post Pick

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 donegal92

finbarrk wrote: »
    The Pipe family wouldn't say that.
    Apologies. I stand corrected. Could have sworn that's what I read in Racing Post regarding Alarazi's chances of following up in Cheltenham but obviously got that wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 donegal92

This antepost lark is a joke. Only really had 1 antepost at Cheltenham before (Hurricane Fly last year). Thought I'd try and be cute this year and have a few more on. Couple look good but most have turned to s**te

Hurricane Fly, Quevega, Big Bucks treble - did way too early last year after Punchestown but actually looking ok at minute (~11/1)
    Hurricane Fly NRNB Champion Hurdle (2/1 and 7/4)
    Oscar's Well NRNB CH (20/1)
    Captain Chris GC (14/1) - Hobbs says most likely to go here but near impossible to see him doing anything even if he runs considering jumping in Argento
    Solix Jewson (11/1) - a bit more complicated as I was assuming Peddler's was going Arkle (like everyone else) but still hopeful he'll be in shake up
    Bold Sir Brian Ryanair (33/1) - long shot but I think it has a reasonable chance and excellent performances in less than top company this year
    Kauto Stone Ryanair (11/1) - turned to s**te. Based on Ruby saying to get on before Ascot race. Not even running in this now - going for CC
    Fingal Bay (4/1) - was holding off til closer to time and decided I was probably safe enough to wade in - 3 hours later Hobbs broke news that he was 50-50 for festival. Sick
    Al Ferof (4/1) - I know there are a lot of SS fans here but I think yous are going to be turned over here. Performances of SS have been hugely impressive but I think he's going to be shown up as a flat track bully and when put on serious pressure will be vulnerable. I'm either going to be very wrong or very right. Thanks to PP I shouldn't be out of pocket either way
    Noble Prince (6/1) - I'd be happier if McCoy was on board (seems unlikely now as he's likely on Albertas Run) but course form and definate good ground animal are certainly good enough for me to think he has a great chance
    Sweet My Lord Pertemps (16/1) - WMullins recommended this as a decent ew bet for festival
    Ulck du Lin FW (8/1) - lack of a run under Nicholls and great vibes about this horse have me expecting a big run
    Steps to Freedom (7/1) - reports are that he hammered Oscar's Well by 20 lengths in run 2 days ago. JH just said she was very pleased with him when asked on Monday night preview - big s""t eating grin on her face. Course and distance form are good enough for me and will improve for firmer ground and clearly season has been based around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭razor425

Anyone know which bookies have best odds guarnteed on NRNB races?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

meriwether wrote: »
    Banker of the week for me at a price is Long Run.

Backed him today at 7/4, hopefully Kauto's recovery will boost his price a little bit.

I thought even in defeat in the KG, he ran an excellent trial for the GC. Kauto was at his imperious best, and LR was coming back at him at the end.

The small margin of the victory was much overlooked in the midst of the celebrations over Kautos winning.

LR was closing him down, and over an extra 2.5f an an uphill finish, I expect his stamina to win the day with relative comfort.

Out to 15/8 at PP, backed him again.

He's lengthning everywhere, and could well be 2/1 at the weekend. Hopefully KS's gallop goes well.

To recap, he was a general 9/4-2/1 shot last week before KS's fall emerged.
    If he's back to that level even closer to the festival, that in my opinion is illogical, and hence represents value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

UrbanSea wrote: »
    And sting, he's trained by Kieran Burke now not Karl Burke. I had to check up for myself, but is that the same Kieran Burke who rode him to victory last year??
    Stand corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Hectors Choice in the JTL Speciality Chase looks nice price. He overeached on his last start but NRNB is sweet and shouldn't line up if he's not right. He only just stepped up to 3m and has been putting in career bests the last 5 times. Shown he acts around Cheltenham and might be unpopular due to the unheralded trainer - who has in fact had a great season. Entered in the National so stamina hopes get a boost there.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

i found this and have to say it looks interesting.

Trainer Michael Scudamore is leaning towards the Pertemps Final next Thursday with intriguing French recruit Saphir River.
    The six-year-old grey fetched 280,000 euros at the Deauville sales last November, but has yet to be seen in competitive action in Britain.
    His French form nonetheless stacks up pretty well - he was a Grade One runner-up at Auteuil on his final start in November - and is feasibly well handicapped in the Pertemps, for which there is a preference over four other engagements at the Cheltenham Festival.
    Scudamore said: "We took him to Newbury for a gallop on Sunday and he worked very, very well.
    "The intention was to get a run into him beforehand, but the way things have gone, what with the weather, that wasn't possible.
    "The question mark had been whether to run him over two and a half miles or three (miles), but we are leaning towards the Pertemps at the moment.
    "Sam Thomas, who has sat on him a few times, will probably be on board as I'm sure Tom (Scudamore) will have something for Pipey (David Pipe). He's our best chance of a winner and is a very exciting horse."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

slaneylad wrote: »
    i found this and have to say it looks interesting.

Trainer Michael Scudamore is leaning towards the Pertemps Final next Thursday with intriguing French recruit Saphir River.
    The six-year-old grey fetched 280,000 euros at the Deauville sales last November, but has yet to be seen in competitive action in Britain.
    His French form nonetheless stacks up pretty well - he was a Grade One runner-up at Auteuil on his final start in November - and is feasibly well handicapped in the Pertemps, for which there is a preference over four other engagements at the Cheltenham Festival.
    Scudamore said: "We took him to Newbury for a gallop on Sunday and he worked very, very well.
    "The intention was to get a run into him beforehand, but the way things have gone, what with the weather, that wasn't possible.
    "The question mark had been whether to run him over two and a half miles or three (miles), but we are leaning towards the Pertemps at the moment.
    "Sam Thomas, who has sat on him a few times, will probably be on board as I'm sure Tom (Scudamore) will have something for Pipey (David Pipe). He's our best chance of a winner and is a very exciting horse."

Thanks for that, wish them all the best.

Looks like the only race he is not entered in is the Mares!!

Where did that guy get a quarter of a million to spend on a horse?

I'd say he'll end up in the Coral Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

How did he qualify for the Pertemps without running a competitive race in Britain or Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

mccarte2 wrote: »
    How did he qualify for the Pertemps without running a competitive race in Britain or Ireland?

He was probably declared for the qualifier that was abandoned thus qualifiying by default

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

He was probably declared for the qualifier that was abandoned thus qualifiying by default

It appears that one of the qualifiers is run in Auteil. You learn something new every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 StabiloBoss

Lads,

Any word if First Lieutenant is more likely for the RSA or the Jewson?
    If he runs in the RSA I fancy him over Grands Crus for inexplicable (Gambler's hope) reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Is any firm going best odds guaranteed ??
    Fancy getting a few bets done today.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Lads,

Any word if First Lieutenant is more likely for the RSA or the Jewson?
    If he runs in the RSA I fancy him over Grands Crus for inexplicable (Gambler's hope) reasons

Judging by the talk from Russell and O'Leary I think the RSA has always been the plan for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Invictus a major doubt for the RSA

I'm desperate to take on about 5 or 6 at the head of the RSA market & am hovering over Lambro NRNB at 25/1 as Invictus was on my list

• Registered Users Posts: 48 StabiloBoss

jimjamcos wrote: »
    Judging by the talk from Russell and O'Leary I think the RSA has always been the plan for him.

With Invictus a doubt,and not fancying Grands Crus, I think I'll back First Lieutenant E/W so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Slattsy wrote: »

Thanks in advance.
    Get on to live help and ask I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

Good friend of mine a trader with bookmaker & he never usually passes on information especially around the festival but he txt me about Red Inca last week. I'm not one for going on about I got a tip for Cheltenham coz everyone has at least 6 tips for each race....

A couple of big e/w bets received on him the 33/1 didn't last long & soon went to 20/1, which, I have him at. My mate never usually tells me anything so read what you like just thought I'd pass on information....

I see Monte Cavallo won the first at Wincanton today by 26 lengths. Red Inca beat him at Ludlow last time. Gives a little boost to the form..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

NULTY - I know you mentioned this before. Realt dubh same realt dubh which beat noble prince twice and was 1l off captain chris at punchestown. 3rd in the arkle last year. 20-1...seems ridiculously overpriced in the champ chase and ryanair even if u consider he hasn't been seen since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Goldcupfav wrote: »
    I see Monte Cavallo won the first at Wincanton today by 26 lengths. Red Inca beat him at Ludlow last time. Gives a little boost to the form..

Saw that today nice little boost for Red Inca form & increases my interest in the horse now!

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

Realt Dubh is going but no set target yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Huntley wrote: »
    Realt Dubh is going but no set target yet.

What you reckon his chances are huntey? I know he's been out of action this year but disregarding that his price seems very high

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

ste2010 wrote: »
    What you reckon his chances are huntey? I know he's been out of action this year but disregarding that his price seems very high

I want to see him in the Ryanair personally but he is probably too fresh to see out a dogged 2m 5f at this stage.

He had a bit of a blow on Monday but with a horse like him I would have preferred a run in him. He is overpriced alright but a lot of unknowns that I would be cautious about at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Gone for Balder Success in the Triumph @ 7/1. Boyles currently 8's but closed my account with them a good while back. Very easy winner last time out and looked like a classy enough sort. Have a sneaky feeling (don't ask why) Choc could decide to pick it over Grumeti aswell.

I dunno tbh. I'm very hesitant about him. I think there are better times to back him but the price is just too big. Worryingly big on Betfair at 43.00 for the Ryanair where I've backed him. Couldn't let him go unbacked though. He is definitely good enough to win the Ryanair

Noel Meade is a pretty pessimistic man and he could be underplaying the horse to people. I'll be a lot more comfortable tomorrow if he is declared for the Ryanair.

Just found this:

Meade, based in Co Meath, said: “Realt Dubh is currently 50-50 to run in either the sportingbet.com Queen Mother Champion Chase or the Ryanair Chase. I am not sure yet, but we think he is in great shape and he seems well. We have been really pleased with his work - he worked at Navan on Monday and we were very happy with him.

Mod edit: For the rest of the article, see the link below. Due to new copyright laws, only a paragraph of an article can be quoted.
    http://www.theirishfield.ie/site/article.php?id=1534&cid=1

He has to go for the Ryanair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Thanks in advance.

Bet365 are and have been since they went NRNB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

hucklebuck wrote: »

Thanks in advance.

Bet365 are and have been since they went NRNB.

Compared to PP what are they like to bet with?

Advertisement