Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham Ante Post Pick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

What do people make of ScottIrish chances?

Hard to beat I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

What do people make of ScottIrish chances?

Good chance but terrible jockey assuming it's patrick mullins

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭El Ninotorres

Slattsy wrote: »
    Hard to beat I reckon.

I like uncle junior too for that race. Think the two of the mcould fight it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Sorry slattsy, but have you seen the Bumper last year? Cinders and Ashes was cantering all over them up until the turn when he came under pressure and had no more to give. I'm putting that down to youth and weakness but no way could I say that the horse isn't fast enough for the supreme. He may not be good enough be he'll lay up with them no matter the pace. They went very fast in the Bumper last year and he had no problem going the gallop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Thinking of a bet in the Pertemps.

Grand Vision or Thehillofuisneach.Any opinions?

• Advertisement

Nulty wrote: »
    Sorry slattsy, but have you seen the Bumper last year? Cinders and Ashes was cantering all over them up until the turn when he came under pressure and had no more to give. I'm putting that down to youth and weakness but no way could I say that the horse isn't fast enough for the supreme. He may not be good enough be he'll lay up with them no matter the pace. They went very fast in the Bumper last year and he had no problem going the gallop.

My view on horses like that, and I'm not saying I'm always right, I was wrong once many moons ago :P was that although it shows plenty of pace and travel well.. they often seem to empty quicker and plug on one paced, so a longer trip will suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Just put on my 1st bet for the festival. A 4 horse accumulator, Quivega,Hurricane Fly,Big Bucks and Sizing Europe... I wouldnt be the most knowledgable re horse racing so would someone be able to tell me if they fancy it to come in and which other horses will cause them the most concern, cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

UrbanSea wrote: »

Have a look at Poungach and his form behind Oscar Whisky and Sprinter Sacre (albet it over hurdles). Has been given 11-9 but I assume PN will have a claimer on board.

That race is over hurdles mccarte

That race is over hurdles mccarte

I know, I meant Sprinter Sacres race over hurdles when he was undoubtedly not the horse he is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I wont be swapping my 20/1 EW about Beuna Vista, after seeing his run last time out.. He surly wont win it again tough...

Its hard to make out these handicaps yet when so much is unsure..

He could have won last time out had he been really pushed.

I'm previewing the Thursday so I'm getting quite in depth on those day's races. Think I'll go for Grand Vision, 12/1 NRNB next door in Ladbrokes. Should get in with a nice weight

Just a reminder for people backing ante post in handicap races. If your horse is balloted out you get your money back, in case you're going to throw your docket away

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭El Ninotorres

TheNap wrote: »
    Just put on my 1st bet for the festival. A 4 horse accumulator, Quivega,Hurricane Fly,Big Bucks and Sizing Europe... I wouldnt be the most knowledgable re horse racing so would someone be able to tell me if they fancy it to come in and which other horses will cause them the most concern, cheers..

Nice accumulator and have something similar myself, I think Quevega, Big Bucks and the fly will be in the bag, Sizing Europe should win on from but who knows. I'll be hoping he crosses the line 1st anyway. Big Zeb and Somersby would be the dangers IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Just did my first bet for the Festival.

Long Run 9/4 - This track is perfect for him, uphill finish will hurt Kauto and we have all witnessed how good Long Run stays. Bet of the festival IMO

Doubling him with Sivola De Sivola 6/1 in the Pertemps, obv a wide open race but I really like his chances here so getting in now before his price drops!

The double is just over 20/1

Have you done them in a double Moscow or as two singles?? Because if its two singles I'd wait with Long Rum, joe public will pile on Kauto and Long Run will definitly be bigger than 9/4 on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Myerz

Vendor 4/1 for The Fred Winter. Alan King says Vendor is his best chance of the festival, being heavily backed today.

West Brit 50/1 pp for The Triumph. I got on at 100/1 in Ladbroke's Monday, he's now 33/1 there. He won the Scottish Triumph on his second ever hurdle race, pulled up on his first just for his own safety. Supposedly he is training and in excellent condition at home, well worth an e/w bet. If he was a Henderson horse and had won his second ever hurdle by 4L what odds would he be?

Hurricane Fly, now odds on but I got on at 9/4 in January and doubled with Quevega at 6/4 I got 8/1 on it, looking forward to hopefully a big return on that. I also would back Al Ferof in Paddy Power as if Sprinter wins you'll get your money back. Al Ferof won me a bit last year in the Supreme and is really impressive in the home straight, i'll stick with him and if Sprinter takes it, i'll get refunded. Peddlers is not confirmed yet, and could go to the jewson, questions around his current form.

I reckon Sizing Europe will take the Queen Mother, Evens is a good price to but in a double or Lucky 15 etc. The horse is amazing around cheltenham and I reckon he can hold off Big Zeb.

Other picks so far include Simonsig 7/2 for the Neptune, and Oscar Whiskey 7/4 WO Big Bucks for the World Hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Realt Dubh will find it hard to win first time out but he's beaten Noble Prince every time they've met. At 37/1 on Betfair, I'm very willing to take the chance that he goes there ready to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I think this festival will be one for the bookies. Going to look at the outsiders instead this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Nulty wrote: »
    Realt Dubh will find it hard to win first time out but he's beaten Noble Prince every time they've met. At 37/1 on Betfair, I'm very willing to take the chance that he goes there ready to win.

Is he defo going to the ryanair?

I think this festival will be one for the bookies. Going to look at the outsiders instead this year!

Personally I think its going to be the exact opposite, 2003 all over again imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Personally I think its going to be the exact opposite, 2003 all over again imo.

Jeez i hope not, looking back on it that may be my only loosing festival for years, im not a favs backer.. Altough i have taken out some multiples insurance this year just in case.

Peddlers beginning to drift like a barge on the machine. Out to greater than 5/1 now.

Is Peddlers Cross going for the Jewson afterall????
    Could be worth backing Al Ferof now in PP at the price as he will surely come second to SS if PC is pulled...

Slattsy wrote: »
    Is Peddlers Cross going for the Jewson afterall????
    Could be worth backing Al Ferof now in PP at the price as he will surely come second to SS if PC is pulled...

Still entered in the Champion Hurdle aswell!

After Mullins glowing report of Sir Des Champs I'm very tempted to back him these evening. 6/1 the best available with Boyles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The fact that McCain is even thinking about the Jewson for Peddlers Cross doesn't really say much about his confidence in the horse. I was watching a Racing Post preview of the Arkle recently and somebody said they didn't think Peddlers Cross has been right since he ran in last year's Champion Hurdle. He ran like a drain at Aintree afterwards. He won 2 egg and spoon novice chases at Bangor and then got thumped out of sight by Sprinter Sacre in his first real test at Kempton and hasn't been seen since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Kauto Star only 50-50 to run in the Cheltenham Gold Cup after schooling fall. More to follow.

From Sportinglife.

Would be an awful shame if he doesn't go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Kauto Star only 50-50 to run in the Cheltenham Gold Cup after schooling fall. More to follow.

From Sportinglife.

Would be an awful shame if he doesn't go.

Awful news. Hope first of all the horse is ok, buy would be a serious shame to miss it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Grand Crus to run in the gold cup now?

Advertisement