Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham Ante Post Pick

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

d-gal wrote: »
    Wouldn't back fingal yet as he won't run on very good ground. If there is soft in the description he will win no bother. The hill is made for horses like him.
    Very concerned about Wishfull thinking since he seems to be working well at home but can't transfer it to the racecourse.

Hopefully Yogi makes the difference to Wishfull, was expecting huge things from him.

Good shout on Fingal, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Anybody see brindisi breeze on Saturday looked very impressive

Very imprressed I have to say, a real strong galloper and basically ran them all in to the ground, and a few of those behind had pretty decent form, will have a real chance in the Albert Bartlett, wont be allowed to dominate like that in Chelt but also looks to have a few gears, the 12/1 on betfair seems very tempting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Brindisi Breeze only runs if there's cut according to the trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Will have to get my rain dance hula skirt out of the back of the wardrobe for the breeze then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ipitydafool

Will have to get my rain dance hula skirt out of the back of the wardrobe for the breeze then :p

You better get that rain dance started soon:) Whilst still 3 weeks to go, going on todays RP article ( linked below), course only got 2-3mm of rain in feb and looking like wont be much cut in ground unless it gets a good bit of rain between now and 13th Mar. Currently this 15 day forecast not showing much rain coming

http://www.meteoprog.co.uk/en/weather/Cheltenham/

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/cheltenham-festival-festival-build-up-begins-as-cheltenham-starts-watering/990600/top/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Anyone know where I can get a price history on thousand stars in the world hurdle for ladbrokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

ste2010 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get a price history on thousand stars in the world hurdle for ladbrokes?

Lol, you are so Jim Bowen from Bullseye, "Now lets take a look at the odds you could have got!" :D

ft9 wrote: »

Jesus not much value ante post for Thousand Stars with Ladbrokes. even before they went NRNB, best price since market opened has been 8's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

I like the look of Colour Squadron in the Supreme. Was going better than Montbazon (who he beat previously) before falling the last day. I think at 16/1 he looks great e/w value but wouldn't be surprised if he won.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

I hope Simonsig runs in the supreme. Travels like Harchibald

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I like the look of Colour Squadron in the Supreme. Was going better than Montbazon (who he beat previously) before falling the last day. I think at 16/1 he looks great e/w value but wouldn't be surprised if he won.

I agree, he's one of my big fancies. Couldn't believe his price after the fall.
    My only concern about backing him now would be whether Hobbs might be afraid to run him after a heavy fall. But if he lines up I think he has a smashing chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Hate bridle horses. I won't be going near that horse. Geraghty wants to go for the Neptune.

So do I Richie but Betfair would suggest he is going for the longer race :(

hucklebuck wrote: »
    ste2010 wrote: »

Lol, you are so Jim Bowen from Bullseye, "Now lets take a look at the odds you could have got!" :D
    Serious case of Alzheimer's creeping in or else I'm being done by lB's! Thought I backed him each way at 25's...now it's appearing as 8's..In assuming I was sleep gambling when I did that if I'm proven to be wrong which seems to be the theme of the day recently (proven wrong thy is) to add to my strangeness I've often had dreams of riding horses for David pipe for some reason..strange

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Any of you purchased this book before? Looks good had 13/27 winners last year. It's out this Friday.

http://www.weatherbysshop.co.uk/books/betting/cheltenham-festival-betting-guide-2012

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

baraca wrote: »
    Any of you purchased this book before? Looks good had 13/27 winners last year. It's out this Friday.

http://www.weatherbysshop.co.uk/books/betting/cheltenham-festival-betting-guide-2012

They'll list off about 5 horses per race that you should back. Useful if you want to go with stats only betting. But all the stats have been broken in the last few years

Cue Card winning bumper as a 4yo
    2 5yo Champion Hurdle winners
    HF being the first Montjeu to win at the festival

It's a decent read to get you in the mood but I wouldn't be relying on it for winners! Also remember the fact its written and published now when a lot can happen between now and the festival e.g. Grandueout (sp) needing a leg op.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

mccarte2 wrote: »
    They'll list off about 5 horses per race that you should back. Useful if you want to go with stats only betting. But all the stats have been broken in the last few years

Cue Card winning bumper as a 4yo
    2 5yo Champion Hurdle winners
    HF being the first Montjeu to win at the festival

It's a decent read to get you in the mood but I wouldn't be relying on it for winners! Also remember the fact its written and published now when a lot can happen between now and the festival e.g. Grandueout (sp) needing a leg op.

Thanks might give it a miss so, That €15 will probably serve better in my Cheltenham bank

Thanks might give it a miss so, That €15 will probably serve better in my Cheltenham bank

It might be given away at a reduced rate at some of the Cheltenham Preview nights so keep an eye on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Got it last year free from Paddy Power so hoping they send it out again.

A good read alright and like someone said, wouldn't rely on it for winners. But it can be very good for reading the trends on the big handicap races and a couple of years ago a mate at work made a nice few quid when the trends helped him pick Chief Dan George @ 33s in the Stewart Handicap.

Aside from that, you're aswell going with your own selections.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Anyone know the plan for Somersby?

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Anyone know the plan for Somersby?

Don't think it's been confirmed. Most likely the Ryanair but you'd never know with Hen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Salut Flo 20s into 10/1 for the festival plate

Off since December when gambled on in the Vote AP Gold Cup (or whatever its called now). Travelled well but had been keen and made errors until a crushing mistake knocked him out of contention.

This year's Junior maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

Great videos from the racingpost on the cheltenham build up.

I got it last year at a preview, it's a good read but li the lads said, don't rely on finding winners ,it's quite informative.

I ordered it last night along with these beauties https://www.racingpost.com/bookshop/cheltenham-festival-2012/cheltenham-festival-guide--ultimate-guide-2012/882

The guides have served me very well the last three festivals and I am looking for more winners than before. :D

Off since December when gambled on in the Vote AP Gold Cup (or whatever its called now). Travelled well but had been keen and made errors until a crushing mistake knocked him out of contention.

Given what he said about the horse at his media day yesterday Pipe looks to be pretty sweet on the horse.

SALUT FLO: He ran at the Cheltenham December meeting and was travelling nicely when making a terrible mistake four out. He did well to stand up really. He's taken a while to come out of that race, hence he hasn't been on the track since and then we got to the stage where I said to the owner can we save him for the Festival and he was keen on that idea. He's a good chance whatever race he runs in and he's entered in everything over hurdles and over fences.
    He's not over big and he has a French style of jumping fences. He's only had three runs in this country - he won first time out at Doncaster a few years ago, he was favourite for the Grand Annual before being balloted out. He went to Haydock next time and finished a good second and then was in the process of running a good race at Cheltenham before his mistake.
    He's versatile in trip, we've saved him for the Festival and he's one we're looking forward to. He handles soft ground but I think he'll be fine on better ground as well. He's had a nice break since December and we're just building him up now for 21 days' time.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=racing/12/02/21/manual_142847.html&BID=465

Given the bolded bit and his record with handicaps he could well be the next Junior!

hucklebuck wrote: »
    I got it last year at a preview, it's a good read but li the lads said, don't rely on finding winners ,it's quite informative.

I ordered it last night along with these beauties https://www.racingpost.com/bookshop/cheltenham-festival-2012/cheltenham-festival-guide--ultimate-guide-2012/882

The guides have served me very well the last three festivals and I am looking for more winners than before. :D

You can get the RP guide for free at the Boylesports Cheltenham Preview night as part of the admission price.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭El Ninotorres

Looks like Simonsig is going in the Neptune now ratherthan Supreme. Will be some race with Fingal bay and Boston Bob. Mullins seems to be rating Boston Bob as one of his best chances too. Should be smahing race.

Yeah Pipe was asked two days ago for he's best chance of landing a handicap at the festival and he nominated Salut Flo and Our Father.

• Advertisement

Looks like Simonsig is going in the Neptune now ratherthan Supreme. Will be some race with Fingal bay and Boston Bob. Mullins seems to be rating Boston Bob as one of his best chances too. Should be smahing race.
    Really is that for sure. I was expecting the opposite :-( and had simonsig lined up for bet number 2 in the supreme

Advertisement