Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham Ante Post Pick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

ft9 wrote: »
    This years top favourites look nailed on.

The likes of. Hurricane Fly, Sprinter Sacre, Big Bucks, Sizing Europe, Quevega.

Expect them all to win, I will not be taking any of them on.

It just seems to good to be true doesn't it.

My heart says yes, they will all romp home, but my head says at least one will get beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I have a small accum done on some of them, was tempted to go bigger but yeah as you said theres always one.

The races just seem a lot more clear cut than previous festivals.

The GC I think may throw up a surpise, Long Run does not look like he will be winning. Can Kauto do it again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Slattsy wrote: »
    This years top favourites look nailed on.

The likes of. Hurricane Fly, Sprinter Sacre, Big Bucks, Sizing Europe, Quevega.

Expect them all to win, I will not be taking any of them on.

It just seems to good to be true doesn't it.

My heart says yes, they will all romp home, but my head says at least one will get beat.

I have 20 accumulators revolving around these.

See the news about some of Nicholls horses coughing?

Would there be enough time to treat them and wind them up?

I think they should be fine for the festival, I would not worry too much, trainers experience this problem all the time. You are probably only hearing about it as it's Nicholls and the festival is 3 weeks away.

I'm no expert though thats just my opinion.

Fryern over in the gambling forum seems to think they might not run at all

20 accumulators? Seriosly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Huntey

hucklebuck wrote: »

Are you sure you have SS hucklebuck? You posted this on the 8th of February.

"Cue Card V Sprinter Sacre is a watching brief for me, I thought Cue Card was impressive last time out too and I felt the reaction to Sprinter Sacre's win was over the top.

I too will be siding with Peddlers at Cheltenham."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

If Big Bucks turns up with pneumonia he will still win, but we might get a better price

What do you make of this cough in Nicholls yard Huntey.

It seems like a very small problem, which Nicholls is treating with extreme caution. I personally would not get too excited about it, if anyone will have them right for the festival its Nicholls.

If Big Bucks turns up with pneumonia he will still win, but we might get a better price

Haha :pac:

It seems like a very small problem, which Nicholls is treating with extreme caution. I personally would not get too excited about it, if anyone will have them right for the festival its Nicholls.

Depends on how serious it is, but viruses tend to spread pretty quickly and will knock the edge off a lot of horses.

He is good at getting them ready but not much he can do if his yard is infected and horses are missing work.

I wouldn't be ringing alarm bells just yet but a horse generally needs a run into them after a virus to strengthen up, some serious work at home would do the trick aswell but nobody wants to be going too heavy at this stage.

As far as I know the top boys like Big Bucks and Kauto are kept in a different enclosure so he may have got lucky in that regard.

Huntey wrote: »

Are you sure you have SS hucklebuck? You posted this on the 8th of February.

"Cue Card V Sprinter Sacre is a watching brief for me, I thought Cue Card was impressive last time out too and I felt the reaction to Sprinter Sacre's win was over the top.

I too will be siding with Peddlers at Cheltenham."

I said 20 accumulators revolving around those horses, you must think I am a loon to put them all in each one.

Think I have SS in 2 after last week but Peddlers is in more to be honest. Like I said around then Peddlers not only nearly cut himself in two at the first but he did not look happy going right handed and it was his first outing right handed.

To be fair Huntey, I think its in the same thread that I posted I had under estimated Sprinter Sacre and gave you credit. I am not scared to admit when I am wrong inspite of my bullishness. Peddlers could very well be a free bet the way SS is shortening and I still intend backing him as even though I under assessed SS I think I am spot on about Peddlers. You would not recognise Denman going right handed.

BTW I think you should rename your SS thread to "Told You So" :pac:

I have gone for two or more in each accumulator along with the likes of Midnight Game, Dildar, Kauto Stone, Grands Crus and Burton Port. Its just a tactic to get lowish stakes on to try maximise return. Hoping to buy another house this year so looking to Cheltenham for the deposit :D

Anyone else got mad strategies?

• Advertisement

Haha :pac:

Depends on how serious it is, but viruses tend to spread pretty quickly and will knock the edge off a lot of horses.

He is good at getting them ready but not much he can do if his yard is infected and horses are missing work.

I wouldn't be ringing alarm bells just yet but a horse generally needs a run into them after a virus to strengthen up, some serious work at home would do the trick aswell but nobody wants to be going too heavy at this stage.

As far as I know the top boys like Big Bucks and Kauto are kept in a different enclosure so he may have got lucky in that regard.

Is it a virus or coughs I am sure I read somewhere that Nicholls gives his horses a flu jab in November/ December.

If its a virus it will be longer than 3 weeks imo, he may just swap the sick ones with the horses in his mini yards.

I said 20 accumulators revolving around those horses, you must think I am a loon to put them all in each one.

Think I have SS in 2 after last week but Peddlers is in more to be honest. Like I said around then Peddlers not only nearly cut himself in two at the first but he did not look happy going right handed and it was his first outing right handed.

To be fair Huntey, I think its in the same thread that I posted I had under estimated Sprinter Sacre and gave you credit. I am not scared to admit when I am wrong inspite of my bullishness. Peddlers could very well be a free bet the way SS is shortening and I still intend backing him as even though I under assessed SS I think I am spot on about Peddlers. You would not recognise Denman going right handed.

BTW I think you should rename your SS thread to "Told You So" :pac:

I did acknowledge that Peddlers will be closer at Cheltenham. In relation to Denman, he didn't like going right handed but there is a bigger issue in relation to that performance. He was running in the same season after the Gold Cup, it very rarely pays dividends and is a foolish routine that Nicholls has come accustomed to.

I have no interest in getting praise, I am more pleased with you changing your opinion about SS because it will save/make you money.

I've only read about it being a cough.

I did acknowledge that Peddlers will be closer at Cheltenham. In relation to Denman, he didn't like going right handed but there is a bigger issue in relation to that performance. He was running in the same season after the Gold Cup, it very rarely pays dividends and is a foolish routine that Nicholls has come accustomed to.

I have no interest in getting praise, I am more pleased with you changing your opinion about SS because it will save/make you money.

I think Nicholls is more bullish than a few of us on here, forgot that Punchestown race was after Cheltenham. Dont think I have ever seen such a change in a horse, he spent the race almost on the outer rail and still jumping left, the jockey must have had brown pants after it.

I was only fishing!!

I think its folly not to have a bit of cover when you have so many accumulators.

I've only read about it being a cough.

And he wont say which horses, hopefully its not his top string.

Could be a price ploy though Kauto Stone ran no race and Minack didnt seem to be travelling well.

With many of the horses having it I presume it would be some sort of bacterial infection, there is various possibilities it could be mould, etc.

Nicholls is straight as a buck though and has warned people there is an issue, and he is doing the right thing with keeping everything in house at this stage.

Havingotascoobydoo out for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Havingotascoobydoo out for the season.

Anyone hear anything more on realt dubh?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

ste2010 wrote: »

Noel Meade said this in January,
    "I've entered him in the Ryanair and the Queen Mother Champion Chase with the Ryanair the more likely.

"He got well enough hammered in the Arkle last year as he probably wasn't good enough having got outpaced but he came back and won a two-and-a-half mile Grade One and I'd say that the 2m5f of the Ryanair looks to be his trip."

"I would hope he would run mid-February and then go to Cheltenham."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Johner wrote: »

Noel Meade said this in January,
    "I've entered him in the Ryanair and the Queen Mother Champion Chase with the Ryanair the more likely.

"He got well enough hammered in the Arkle last year as he probably wasn't good enough having got outpaced but he came back and won a two-and-a-half mile Grade One and I'd say that the 2m5f of the Ryanair looks to be his trip."

"I would hope he would run mid-February and then go to Cheltenham."

Cheers johner - no sign of any word since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 limestone lad

steps to freedom wins wins wins wins

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

steps to freedom wins wins wins wins

Robbie Power seems fairly confident of his chances on this one. I dont think it has the form in the book, which is not to say the horse is not improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Have to say I am against Steps to Freedom. Jumping hasn't been good enough so far and the form of that Cheltenham race is absolutely awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 limestone lad

r power been tipping this guy up since before even winning at track in november, trainer will have him spot on at festival, hers always run well there, similar patient build up been giving as that when cork all star won champ bumper.

What in the mother of jaysus has ****ing happened Minsks price:

http://www.attheraces.com/article.aspx?hlid=522768&lid=&raceid=&title=Minsk+set+fair+for+hurdling+bow&ref=atrPA+Racing+Feed&nav=&sub=&day=Mon

Best price 7/1.

Wouldn't ****ing mind but just went in to back him and B365 were 13/2 :mad:
    after all the chatter I have once again missed the price.

I've got a few good book at home huckle Ann and Barry go to the farm and busy at Maths 3 if you want to start again?

Anyone see balder success today, any opinions?

LOL. :D Busy At Maths? How in the name of jehova did you remember that old daisy? Me thinks you are too young for boards..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

What in the mother of jaysus has ****ing happened Minsks price:

http://www.attheraces.com/article.aspx?hlid=522768&lid=&raceid=&title=Minsk+set+fair+for+hurdling+bow&ref=atrPA+Racing+Feed&nav=&sub=&day=Mon

Best price 7/1.

Wouldn't ****ing mind but just went in to back him and B365 were 13/2 :mad:
    after all the chatter I have once again missed the price.

I think Sadler's Risk will beat him and Sadler is my main bet in Cheltenham this year

Edit: Providing they both run this week on Saturday I think its a great double and hopefully some nice bookie will give us a good double price ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Anybody see brindisi breeze on Saturday looked very impressive, Alan king looks set the have a few winners at Cheltenham this year balder success looked very good also , Vendor in the Fred winter 9-2 wont last , His best chance of the festival from the horses mouth:)

d-gal wrote: »
    I think Sadler's Risk will beat him and Sadler is my main bet in Cheltenham this year

Edit: Providing they both run this week on Saturday I think its a great double and hopefully some nice bookie will give us a good double price ;)

Hope it goes well for ya smile.gif

Are you not concerned by the yards form? Wishful Thinking, Menorah look out of sorts and Fingal Bay wasn't as imperious last time out as he was previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Hope it goes well for ya smile.gif

Are you not concerned by the yards form? Wishful Thinking, Menorah look out of sorts and Fingal Bay wasn't as imperious last time out as he was previously.

I wouldn't be too concerned. Fingal was given a bad ride the last time and the likes of color squadron was awful unlucky not to beat montbazon last week after he fell 2 out coasting. Wouldn't back fingal yet as he won't run on very good ground. If there is soft in the description he will win no bother. The hill is made for horses like him.
    Very concerned about Wishfull thinking since he seems to be working well at home but can't transfer it to the racecourse.

Advertisement