Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Zorbas

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Whoa I hate this work ethic rubbish. Greece is always cited as a case for the catholic lack of work ethic even though greeks are mostly greek orhodox. Iceland is a protestent country and they were the first to default and also went mad with credit in boom times.

Perfectionists (of any nationality) generally have a strong work ethic. They are driven to succeed and will persist at tasks until they reach their idea of success. Problem is that they sometimes get caught up in working hard at something but spinning their wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Whoa I hate this work ethic rubbish. Greece is always cited as a case for the catholic lack of work ethic even though greeks are mostly greek orhodox. Iceland is a protestent country and they were the first to default and also went mad with credit in boom times.

Most of Southern Germany is Catholic . As is a lot of Switzerland and almost all of Austria. If people want to talk about work ethics they should look at the immense number of chavs in their own favorite locations. If they want to discuss going mad on credit there are plenty of Protestant dominated countries to point the finger at - the awful state of the UK economy is one to look at. When people make such narrow minded judgements they are frequently only looking back over a few headlines during their own lifetimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

psychward wrote: »
    If they want to discuss going mad on credit there are plenty of Protestant dominated countries to point the finger at - the awful state of the UK economy is one to look at.

The UK is a Protestant dominated country :confused: Dude it's not 1930 anymore !

The new "work ethic" champions are Eastern European and that is why they are so sought after by employers. Problem is that the work ethich comes at a price i.e. acceptance of lower wages and conditions drives down the wages which employers can get away and threatens the hard earned maximum working hours etc.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    The UK is a Protestant dominated country :confused: Dude it's not 1930 anymore !

AFAIK unelected Protestant Archbishops get to sit in the House of Lords. Only a Protestant can be head of state. For good or ill Protestant Christianity forms the foundational legacy of most of their present day legal system. And not too long ago - not even the 1930's but the 1990's you had a Protestant hegemony in the 6 counties in everything regarding jobs in the police force/ public sector and in the handing out of council housing etc. Then there is the insanely cruel sectarianism and anti-Catholicism between the likes of Rangers and Celtic. While they have gone down a multicultural politically correct nanny state route in many ways, the British aristocracy and those in power mostly still have strong connections to the Protestant past. However that's all beside the point as I wasn't constructing an argument to mercilessly stereotype any set or grouping of human beings. Instead I was responding to an absurd notion with a refutation written in a style which highlights why that notion is absurd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

While everyone is entitled to be here not everyone is supposed to and should not be made feel guilty if they don't want to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Sisko wrote: »
    While everyone is entitled to be here not everyone is supposed to and should not be made feel guilty if they don't want to be.

Good point.

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Protestantism would have benefited ireland more than Catholicism.

How/Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Certain useless junkie skanger antisocial males should be sterilised

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Zorbas wrote: »
    The new "work ethic" champions are Eastern European and that is why they are so sought after by employers. Problem is that the work ethich comes at a price i.e. acceptance of lower wages and conditions drives down the wages which employers can get away and threatens the hard earned maximum working hours etc.

Yes, but they dont have a different work ethic to anyone else in this country. The difference is the money they make here is worth multiples more back in their home nation so they are just better motivated. They have useless apes too just like the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Ryan Tubridy is actually a good radio and tv presenter, ok he gets a big salary but who wouldn't jump at a job offer like that. Definitely better than Gaybo and Pat kenny :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Ryan Tubridy is actually a good radio and tv presenter, ok he gets a big salary but who wouldn't jump at a job offer like that. Definitely better than Gaybo and Pat kenny :)

Security

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Agreed for the most part although I don't think it should be up to the mother...

Then who else? of course it should be the mother's choice, she's the one carrying the child after all. Now that's not to say I don't believe the father shouldn't have an say also of course if he so wishes.

I don't understand who else you think should make that decision for a woman-the woman's doctor?? her family?? the State??? I'm confused.
    there is no contribution to society there, only a drain (economically and socially). I realise this sounds awful and I'm not coming across very well but it's just something that I've always thought about.

It could be seen as quite a ...dispassionate viewpoint but that doesn't make it untrue. They are a drain economically and socially, but that wouldn't be my reason why I would choose to abort such a child. I would do it for the reasons I've already given.

SheFiend wrote: »
    Let the child choose, instead. If she wants dolls, let her have dolls. If she wants a toy gun, or a mechanno set, let her have it.

I agree (well not really about 'war' toys like toy guns-I'd favour a ban on the sale of them actually as they have...or had when I was there... in Sweden) but about children being able to choose the toys they want regardless of gender.

I had toy cars and plastic carpenter tools when I was a little girl because I saw my Dad doing work around the house sawing wood and building a shed so I wanted be like him and my parents saw nothing wrong in allowing me to have them.

I also had dolls, a doll's pram, and other "girlie" toys. It doesn't matter to a child what gender the toy is aimed at as long as they enjoy playing with it, and neither should it to parents.
    SheFiend wrote: »
    Just don't impose the mammy kit on the child. It does happen. I know one little tombboy toddler who loves playing with her brother but mammy wants her to be a little pretty princess so she can't play outside cuz she'll mess her designer clothes. Shed much rather be climbing trees and playing football than sitting inside and looking pretty. .

Sad and wrong to try to mold a child into a little mini-me, they'll only resent the parents for it. And I HATE with a burning passion all that little pink princess sh1te mothers impose on their daughters.

It gives totally the wrong message to girls-that their primary value should be in being looking pretty and dainty. No wonder girls are getting eating disorders at a younger and younger age.
    Engendering children and their clothing toys etc. (girls AND boys) is limiting to their creativity and opportunities as they grow up. It stifles potential and inquiry.
    In the same vein, if girls are given a message that engineering or car mechanics for example is only for boys and traditional female jobs like nursing or childcare worker are not something for boys then we will continue to limit the potential of both sexes.

We should let them dress in whatever way makes them comfortable and lets them run around and climb trees and get muddy and dirty as much as boys do. Girls clothing you'll notice are designed not for utility as boys clothes are, they're not as well made or durable as boys clothing and they seem to be mainly designed and made just to make a girl look pretty (and often sexualised) using flimsy material.

To hell with that I say. Mothers should cop on and start to critically assess the way they're being manipulated by clothing, toys and marketing corporations like Disney, Hello Kitty, Barbie, the mainstream media and the big chain stores whose only interest is in selling more product and instilling consumer and corporate values and market loyalties in the next generation as grooming them to be unthinking corporate clones as young as possible.

Sadly critical thinking and independent thinking skills seems to be sadly lacking among many Irish parents who just go with the flow like sheep as to how to dress their children, what toys they buy for them and what gender appropriate interests should be encouraged in them.

Oh hey, look at that, I just wrote another unpopular opinion :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Samantha Mumba

token101 wrote: »
    I don't accept that argument, not from an Irish citizen. As an Irish adult living in a generous benefits system with subsidised education you have choices. Ireland and much of Western Europe are about as close to fully inclusive and equal societies as is possible.

The statistics don't bear that out.
    Ireland is actually one of the most unequal societies as regards income levels and access to educational opportunities for all levels of society in Europe.

Scandinavian countries for example are much more equal with far less poverty, greater access for poor and working class kids into third level education and life long learning programs because of their social model, Govt. investment in education and re-distribution of taxes.
    I lived there and experienced it for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DannyKing

I'm sure some, if not all, have been mentioned before, but anyway:

- I'm pro-choice
    - Take Me Out is perfectly worthy television fodder
    - The Bernard Shaw is a horrible, horrible spot
    - Nirvana were overrated, especially Kurt Cobain
    - Yves Saint Laurent's Touche Eclat is useless
    - Morrissey is the world's worst lyricist
    - Bruno Mars comes close behind Morrissey

I agree on the most part except the bit about the Bernard shaw. I love that place.

the Beatles are the most over rated band to exist.
    Eddie Grant is far superior to bob marley.
    All drugs should be decriminalised.
    Marijuana should be legalised and regulated and profits/taxes used for rehabilitation/addiction centres.
    I dont want to go to australia.
    Music in the charts is worthless tripe 99% of the time.
    My music is better than yours : )
    I dont like shameless. Its ****e.
    Irish food i.e. stew, shepards pie, cabbage and bacon is disgusting. (I call it Famine food) Who wouldnt prefer a lasagne or quesidilla?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DannyKing

Oh, and there's no such thing as god. schools and the church should be totally seperated and independent of one another. A persons religious belief should be determined after they are able to speak/think for themselves and not when they are 6 months old.

JMSE wrote: »
    Yes, but they dont have a different work ethic to anyone else in this country. The difference is the money they make here is worth multiples more back in their home nation so they are just better motivated. They have useless apes too just like the rest of us.

Thing is, some employers I know do think Eastern Europeans have a special work ethic and for certain back room work businesses EE's are given preference over others.
    Perception is everything and it does'nt have to be correct to take hold. Have nothing against Eastern Europeans or anyone else but just airing what is perhaps a widely held view amongst employers at this time.

Zorbas wrote: »
    Thing is, some employers I know do think Eastern Europeans have a special work ethic

In reality they think foreign nationals have a smaller chance of complaining or protesting against crappy working conditions maybe this lack of confidence helped by less than fluent English or understanding of how things work here and employers might also think they probably wont join a union either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Greentopia wrote: »
    Then who else? of course it should be the mother's choice, she's the one carrying the child after all. Now that's not to say I don't believe the father shouldn't have an say also of course if he so wishes.

I don't understand who else you think should make that decision for a woman-the woman's doctor?? her family?? the State??? I'm confused.

It could be seen as quite a ...dispassionate viewpoint but that doesn't make it untrue. They are a drain economically and socially, but that wouldn't be my reason why I would choose to abort such a child. I would do it for the reasons I've already given.

In the context of the woman wanting to give birth to a severely disabled child. I don't think it should be her choice and should be just automatically terminated as standard practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

i dont see why so much hate is generated against justin bieber and jedward. i fail to see the difference between them and any other gombeen currently in the charts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

few cans? wrote: »
    i dont see why so much hate is generated against justin bieber and jedward. i fail to see the difference between them and any other gombeen currently in the charts

I don't care much for Justin Bieber. He's not forced upon at all here in Ireland it seems so I can easily ignore him, but Jedward?? They're annoying ****s! We see on a regular basis. Remember these ad's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Oh god... what is this. My unpopular opinion for the day: I hate Jedward

In the context of the woman wanting to give birth to a severely disabled child. I don't think it should be her choice and should be just automatically terminated as standard practice.

So the decision should be taken away from the woman and they should be foreced to have terminations regardless of whether they want to keep the child or not??

I hope you're not suggesting a Nazi style eugenics program to stop "undesirables" breeding??

DannyKing wrote: »
    Oh, and there's no such thing as god. schools and the church should be totally seperated and independent of one another. A persons religious belief should be determined after they are able to speak/think for themselves and not when they are 6 months old.

Nothing unpopular about that for me, I agree fully ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Grimebox wrote: »
    I don't care much for Justin Bieber. He's not forced upon at all here in Ireland it seems so I can easily ignore him, but Jedward?? They're annoying ****s! We see on a regular basis. Remember these ad's?

Nice user name you have, all the same...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Greentopia wrote: »
    So the decision should be taken away from the woman and they should be foreced to have terminations regardless of whether they want to keep the child or not??

I hope you're not suggesting a Nazi style eugenics program to stop "undesirables" breeding??

I've had to rewrite this post a couple of times but there's no way of making this sound any better.

That is what I feel should happen yes. (Why would anybody want to keep a badly badly disabled child though?)

Nobody benefits from that arrangement except perhaps a selfish woman who wants a baby no matter what and be damned the awful life it will have to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Nobody benefits from that arrangement except perhaps a selfish woman who wants a baby no matter what and be damned the awful life it will have to live.

I doubt many people would seriously argue that the act of choosing to give birth to a disabled child is selfish.

It would be controversial enough to argue that such a decision would be misguided but selfish ??????

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

A lot of society's problems are caused by the offspring of "single mothers" - i.e. lower working class women that have children purely to sponge off the State.

My solution is to offer this type of woman a grant to have a hysterectomy.

Give them what they want - Cash for their wombs.

Purge their uteri and you'll purge a significant amount of future crime.

I've suggested this "down the pub" and it's not a popular opinion to put it mildly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement