Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Strict observance of any religion is incompatible with Irish society

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

+ one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

billybudd wrote: »
    I am shocked, i thought you had style.

:eek:

Morrissey is the kig of lyrics.

Most lyrical person to ever record music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Britain's chav culture is a result of the failed miners' strike in the 1980s.

Nolanger wrote: »
    Britain's chav culture is a result of the failed miners' strike in the 1980s.

Interesting hypothesis. Any evidence to back it up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Wherever it is possible to tell in advance, children with severe mental or physical disabilities shouldn't be born.

That's genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Wherever it is possible to tell in advance, children with severe mental or physical disabilities shouldn't be born.

That's genuine.

Shouldn't? Well I would agree only in so far as if the mother knew that the foetus she was carrying was going to be born so severely disabled that it had no possibility of having any quality of life, if it faced a lifetime of pain and suffering because of a disability or medical condition. But it should be up to the mother to decide that having gotten advice from her doctor.

If I was pregnant in that situation I would certainly want to know that so that I make plans to terminate the pregnancy, as I don't think it would be fair on me or the child to bring them into the world.

But then I think abortion should be freely available in this country anyway. Ooh, another controversial opinion. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

Greentopia wrote: »
    But then I think abortion should be freely available in this country anyway. Ooh, another controversial opinion. :pac:

+1, this was on my list too. I wonder how controversial it is though? I'd say a lot more people are pro choice today than used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,047 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

+1, this was on my list too. I wonder how controversial it is though? I'd say a lot more people are pro choice today than used to be.

dont underestimate the conservative grey vote....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

No doubt but also-what retalivily said.

• Advertisement

Greentopia wrote: »
    Shouldn't? Well I would agree only in so far as if the mother knew that the foetus she was carrying was going to be born so severely disabled that it had no possibility of having any quality of life, if it faced a lifetime of pain and suffering because of a disability or medical condition. But it should be up to the mother to decide that having gotten advice from her doctor.

If I was pregnant in that situation I would certainly want to know that so that I make plans to terminate the pregnancy, as I don't think it would be fair on me or the child to bring them into the world.

Agreed for the most part although I don't think it should be up to the mother...there is no contribution to society there, only a drain (economically and socially). I realise this sounds awful and I'm not coming across very well but it's just something that I've always thought about.
    What's the point of them living? They are in constant pain, have no understanding of the world and it just seems pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Zorbas

Agreed for the most part although I don't think it should be up to the mother...there is no contribution to society there, only a drain (economically and socially). I realise this sounds awful and I'm not coming across very well but it's just something that I've always thought about.
    What's the point of them living? They are in constant pain, have no understanding of the world and it just seems pointless.

Because Evangelicals believe they are born "a child of wrath" - should they be sectioned off until they are made safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Most politicians are psychopaths.

Zorbas wrote: »
    Because Evangelicals believe they are born "a child of wrath" - should they be sectioned off until they are made safe?

Umm, no. If you read my post you'll find that I think they should be aborted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I wrote a blog about the cancellation of RAG Week in Galway this year and have been getting hate messages from students ever since. It warms my heart.

http://thecityfathers.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/galway-rag-week-2012/

You deserve hate messages.

WTF is this:

"It’s not enough that you already belong to the most pampered in our society, other than the ****in’ lecturers themselves of course! But you have to get a week to tear the hole out of this city!? Why don’t you crawl back up into your mothers nasty, disease ridden cooch and die you *****."

I don't think you can call this article an unpopular opinion when its just a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Grimebox wrote: »
    You deserve hate messages.

WTF is this:

"It’s not enough that you already belong to the most pampered in our society, other than the ****in’ lecturers themselves of course! But you have to get a week to tear the hole out of this city!? Why don’t you crawl back up into your mothers nasty, disease ridden cooch and die you *****."

I don't think you can call this article an unpopular opinion when its just a troll.

Fair enough. I'll delete the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I wrote a blog about the cancellation of RAG Week in Galway this year and have been getting hate messages from students ever since. It warms my heart.

I still can't believe people are defending rag week.
    It's one thing to let off a little steam, but for lots of people rag week is a time when they just don't feel safe or comfortable in the city centre.
    Like with the hilarious practice of students pretending to punch people last year.

Towards the end of the Celtic Tiger era, I heard of a drunk girl crying into her phone in a shop. It turned out she was upset and giving out to her mother because her friend's mother had given her €1,000 spending money for rag week, and her own mother had the cheek not to do the same.

The whole thing is just a sad indication of how much more immature a lot (not all) young people in this country are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

"Scumbags" are fundamentally the same as most people and their behaviour is mostly due to their circumstances (though this doesn't absolve them of blame for their action) and not being inherently bad people.

Life is about choices and personal responsibility

It might be the easy choice to fall in with the wrong crowd and quit school early to live off welfare and robbing but just because you're from a rough area still makes it's your decision and your choice.

If you end up in a life of crime it was you who put you there

I've no time for sob stories about coming from a poor area and a council estate. Some of the most successful people in the country came from such areas

And some of the biggest scumbags in the country came from wealthy backgrounds

It's all about personal decisions

This isn't the nineteenth century and we're hardly talking about stealing bread to feed your starving family here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

"Scumbags" are fundamentally the same as most people and their behaviour is mostly due to their circumstances (though this doesn't absolve them of blame for their action) and not being inherently bad people.

While there are some very intelligent, articulate and probably good-looking people on here producing many interesting discussions, the level of debate here can be atrocious at times and consist of people with ill-informed opinions, often based solely on personal prejudice, they have no intention of examining let alone changing.

I don't accept that argument, not from an Irish citizen. As an Irish adult living in a generous benefits system with subsidised education you have choices. Ireland and much of Western Europe are about as close to fully inclusive and equal societies as is possible.

It's a debate. Not a lecture. Maybe they feel you should examine your view and change it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Life is about choices and personal responsibility

It might be the easy choice to fall in with the wrong crowd and quit school early to live off welfare and robbing but just because you're from a rough area still makes it's your decision and your choice.

If you end up in a life of crime it was you who put you there

I've no time for sob stories about coming from a poor area and a council estate. Some of the most successful people in the country came from such areas

And some of the biggest scumbags in the country came from wealthy backgrounds

It's all about personal decisions

This isn't the nineteenth century and we're hardly talking about stealing bread to feed your starving family here

I admit that "mostly due to circumstances" is a bit strong and would probably change it to "partly due to circumstances."

But environment is still a big factor. If you grow up in an environment where drug addiction is a norm and violence is seen as a legitimate method of dealing with problems, it's hard to get out of that mindset. That doesn't excuse any criminal from a disadvantaged background as personal responsibility is a more important factor. But I still think it's not the only factor, and we should be looking to remove such disadvantage as well as punishing criminals, and instead of looking down on "scumbags."

I also agree that a great deal of scumbags (which I define as someone who deliberately engages in aggressive anti-social behaviour against others) come from privileged backgrounds, and I think that in those cases environment is also a factor. Being led to believe that you're better than others because of your wealth and social position can lead to a massive ego and disregard of other people.
    Originally posted by token101
    I don't accept that argument, not from an Irish citizen. As an Irish adult living in a generous benefits system with subsidised education you have choices. Ireland and much of Western Europe are about as close to fully inclusive and equal societies as is possible.

It's a debate. Not a lecture. Maybe they feel you should examine your view and change it?

Benefits are there to help people and for many people they do, but as I said above, there are many negative factors affecting people from disadvantaged backgrounds which work against them progressing in society. It doesn't excuse anti-social behaviour and not making the most of oneself, but it does make the latter more difficult.

I know often people don't like my views and think I should change them. See the thread on the case about the guy running over the burglar where I've been going against the grain of general opinion.

But I know that everything I post has some reasoning and logic behind it, and I'm happy to discuss thing reasonably with people who disagree with me.
    I do hate though, when people don't argue in a reasonable way and don't address the points in my post, either arguing against extreme positions no-one's actually promoting, refusing to acknowledge evidence which contradicts their assumptions, or just failing to respond to direct questions, which I've noticed a bit lately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Student unions are a pile of w@nk and the current practice of most (all ?) state funded third level institutions making membership of the students union a condition of enrolment for full time students should be made illegal.

Indeed.

Token half-arsed observance seems to be where its at,

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Student unions are a pile of w@nk and the current practice of most (all ?) state funded third level institutions making membership of the students union a condition of enrolment for full time students should be made illegal.

+1 to this. Never got anything from the SU except the one time I wanted to defer and got incorrect information from them. After waiting 1.5 hours to see the Education Officer and him turning up then with pillow creases down his face. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Mike 1972 wrote: »

another +1

The students union has only ever taken money from me. I emailed one of them about an issue and a year later there is still no response. A few of the SU members in UCD are current or closet ex FF supporters anyway therefore in no way representative of me or the majority of the country unless the current crop of students are really really stupid when it comes to election time.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Interesting hypothesis. Any evidence to back it up?
    Collapse of union power, state wins, workers divided and set against each other, generations trained in one job put out of work with no other skills, small town deprivation, long-term reliance on welfare, working spirit killed off.
    Is that enough?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Protestantism would have benefited ireland more than Catholicism.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Certainly with the recent economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You saying we don't have a work ethic? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

And I could wear anything I liked on my John Thomas, I could wear a French Tickler if I wanted.

I would go with neither.

• Advertisement

Nolanger wrote: »
    Certainly with the recent economy.

Whoa I hate this work ethic rubbish. Greece is always cited as a case for the catholic lack of work ethic even though greeks are mostly greek orhodox. Iceland is a protestent country and they were the first to default and also went mad with credit in boom times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement