Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

It's a true story though...

So? Doesn't change the fact that the film makers just wanted to produce Oscar bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I think we should have low quality high density subsidised shoebox accommodation towers available to live in. You should be able to buy a 5 x 5 m dwelling cube / w4nk cave for a ridiculously low price. Yes it will be low quality and you'll be surrounded by all sorts. But its that or the current system that owns the individuals life until they can pay off a mortgage.
    You can buy a sht, cheap car. Why not the same for accommodation, 40 grand should buy you a cube with lockable door, a water tap, a socket, and a hole

Not a bad premise to use as a starting point TDM....there are even tentative sectoral moves in that direction....

http://zigguratstudents.ie/

http://zigguratstudents.ie/pricing/
    Accommodation type Rent per week

Classic rooms €180 SOLD OUT
    Classic upper floor rooms €191 - €199 SOLD OUT
    Top floor rooms €217.50 From January 2015
    Superior rooms €230 Last Few Remaining
    Penthouse (Coming Soon) €265

The only aspect to this which I find hard to comprehend is why the Montrose Hotel was left lying idle for SO long,whilst the need for this type of venture was being screamed from the minarets :confused:

This type of venture really should be explored,improved and promoted as it considerably lessens the negative aura which surrounds much of the current Irish Residential Rental market ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Jester252 wrote: »
    12 years a slave is overhyped dribble. I never been as bored in the cinema. Over 2 hours of white guilt being used as a bait for the Oscars.
    "Guilt"? Strange thing to say. I don't feel guilty about it just because I'm white. Depicting a difficult time in history isn't done to invoke guilt, it's standard fodder for a film.
    Jester252 wrote: »
    So? Doesn't change the fact that the film makers just wanted to produce Oscar bait.
    Could be said about absolutely any epic/true story film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Kanye West is some kind of heroic figure
    Wrestling's an art form and the height of drama
    Peter Kay was once really really good and still could be with the right project
    Catch 22's a tedious pile of trash
    There's a lot of positives to smoking (I don't smoke)
    Refuse collection is severely underpriced
    Southland Tales is pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Magaggie wrote: »
    "Guilt"? Strange thing to say. I don't feel guilty about it just because I'm white. Depicting a difficult time in history isn't done to invoke guilt, it's standard fodder for a film.
    Agreed the white guilt argument makes no sense whatsoever. In fact it says more about the person saying it than it does the film that they have to turn it into a "N....not all white people!" game. It's not even remotely what the film is about either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

George Carlin was just about a fairly average comedian.
    Atheists fanboys and hipsters jerk off at the mere mention of his his name.

Blah blah carlin blah nietzche blah blah dawkins w4nk w4nk w4nk god im elite and intellectual.

Breaking Bad just wasn't that good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Our technology got bigger, but people's personal dreams got smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

e_e wrote: »
    Agreed the white guilt argument makes no sense whatsoever. In fact it says more about the person saying it than it does the film that they have to turn it into a "N....not all white people!" game. It's not even remotely what the film is about either.

I completely don't get the "white guilt" argument either. It's just a beautifully made film about the true story of a man who endured incredible hardship and came out the other side. It's an exceptional story precisely because there are few who would have survived a similar fate, which is why it was probably considered a good option to be made into a film. Furthermore, it's probably the best film made about slavery to date. It actually treats the topic with the emotional weight it deserves. I didn't get any white guilt off it at all and anyone who does probably should think about why they feel that way. What are they expecting filmmakers to do? Just shy away from topics about slavery for fear of upsetting sensitive white people who can't take a historical drama? Gimme a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I think feminism is a joke in the developed world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

A lot of positives? Name one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

The Dagda wrote: »
    A lot of positives? Name one?

If you get stressed, you have something that can make you feel better instantly. What do non-smokers use? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    If you get stressed, you have something that can make you feel better instantly. What do non-smokers use? :pac:
    Beer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

They use the ability to deal with stress without it being compounded by the added stress of nicotine withdrawal.

Links234 wrote: »
    Beer

Smokers have that too. In fact, the synergistic effect of drinking and smoking at the same time will really relieve the stress :o:o

You guys are so easy to wind up. Maybe you should use some of your natural abiity to deal with stress to calm down.

I dont smoke :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Smoking damages your health. There is nothing more stressful than ill/poor health.

Damaging your health is not a positive of smoking. Go again...

The Dagda wrote: »
    Smoking damages your health. There is nothing more stressful than ill/poor health.

Damaging your health is not a positive of smoking. Go again...

Shan't :pac:

(I thought we were talking about instant gratification)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I use stuff like painting, listening to music and reading. Far better than smoking, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Kanye West is some kind of heroic figure
    Wrestling's an art form and the height of drama
    Peter Kay was once really really good and still could be with the right project
    Catch 22's a tedious pile of trash
    Refuse collection is severely underpriced
    Southland Tales is pretty good

No way. It's possibly the funniest novel I've ever read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Been off the ciggys a month now and never felt better :) All you need to do is replace a habit with another habit (preferably a good one) and watch the stress faint into the distance :)

Suas11 wrote: »
    I use stuff like painting, listening to music and reading. Far better than smoking, I think.

Indeed, I bring my easel to the pub :P

Only joking, I agree with you :) I actually get physical withdrawal if I dont have music. If I dont listen to it for a while I get fidgety and cranky.

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    Been off the ciggys a month now and never felt better :) All you need to do is replace a habit with another habit (preferably a good one) and watch the stress faint into the distance :)

True. I gave up drink a few weeks ago as I've exams soon and I feel amazing. I was expecting the usual - sleeping better, waking better, improved mental capacity etc but I wasn't expecting to be in a better mood. Some people in work actually asked, "are you ok, you're smiling an awful lot" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

In the Irish context - the words "cool" and "brilliant" are now to be treated as pure hyperbole, such as describing kids school lunch foodstuffs as the "cool" food to have. Yeah.. . :confused::rolleyes:

IrishAlice wrote: »
    The song "Let it Go" from Frozen is not that good.

I cannot understand the hype over that song at all. I never saw Frozen, and when I heard everyone go on about a song called 'Let It Go', I thought it might have been this one by Foxes, which is actually rather good so I said "fair enough".

Then I realised it was a different song, listened to it and was massively underwhelmed.

Music. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I cannot understand the hype over that song at all. I never saw Frozen, and when I heard everyone go on about a song called 'Let It Go', I thought it might have been this one by Foxes, which is actually rather good so I said "fair enough".

Then I realised it was a different song, listened to it and was massively underwhelmed.

Frozen the movie is..kinda rubbish tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

krudler wrote: »
    Frozen the movie is..kinda rubbish tbh.

You are talking thru your hoop friendo. As animated kids movies go, its a classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

e_e wrote: »
    Music. :)

All yee have to do is whip out that karaoke machine!:p

• Advertisement

gugleguy wrote: »
    All yee have to do is whip out that karaoke machine!:p
    You are familiar with the wonderful invention that is the mp3 player? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement