Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Militant atheist types, they scrape their little hooves and blame all society's problems on religion, specifically the CC. The Irish kind are usually Baptised and confirmed, full made members who can never truly leave. LMAO....:pac:

If it wasn't for the CC they'd still be picking spuds out of a field, you think the Free State could have afforded to have ran an independent education system. First in the family to go to college, turn full on Leftie :D

Remind me, who ran the Magdalene Laundries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I think Brad Pitt is really ugly. Even when he was young he was a minger but he looks even worse now. I wouldn't touch that with a ten-foot bargepole. I'm female btw.
    I don't think he's ugly, he's undeniably a handsome man. He's just ridiculously conventionally good looking.

Ryan Reynolds is the same. They're just so boring to look at. There's nothing special or different about them. There's plenty of guys who have a feature or two that aren't perfect and should dent their attractiveness, but actually really works for them. I think those lads are much better looking and interesting than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Some people are objectively good-looking. When people who don't personally fancy them (which is obviously fair enough) call them "ugly" it seems really resentful or something. I don't fancy George Clooney or Tom Selleck but they are obviously good-looking men.
    sabat wrote: »
    The internet was a lot better before working class people started using it.
    You mean stupid people? Not all stupid people are working-class, and not all smart people are middle-class!
    I think David Icke is right about pretty much everything.
    Anyone could say that about anything. I could say I think someone is right when they say the grass is blue. It doesn't change how wrong they'd be though.
    Militant atheist types, they scrape their little hooves and blame all society's problems on religion, specifically the CC. The Irish kind are usually Baptised and confirmed, full made members who can never truly leave. LMAO....:pac:

If it wasn't for the CC they'd still be picking spuds out of a field, you think the Free State could have afforded to have ran an independent education system. First in the family to go to college, turn full on Leftie :D
    Not an unpopular opinion. Sitting duck at this stage. I agree "militant atheists" are an intolerant pain in the ass, but the "Militant atheists are as bad as religious fundamentalists" (overall, nah they're not whatsoever) thing is a tired cliché by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

TV has a long long way to go to surpass film and the people who argue to the contrary are either A) Watching all the wrong movies or B) Ignorantly prejudging and attempting to criticize what they have not seen. For every good series that's made a year there's dozens of equal if not superior films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

e_e wrote: »
    TV has a long long way to go to surpass film and the people who argue to the contrary are either A) Watching all the wrong movies or B) Ignorantly prejudging and attempting to criticize what they have not seen. For every good series that's made a year there's dozens of equal if not superior films.

Name a good film in the last year. Name a recent film that's better than True Detective or Fargo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Sibhsoo

MJ23 wrote: »
    Name a good film in the last year. Name a recent film that's better than True Detective or Fargo.

The raid 2. QED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Macs are great computers and you get what you pay for

12 Years a Slave
    Aint Them Bodies Saints
    All Is Lost
    Before Midnight
    Blue Is the Warmest Color
    Blue Ruin
    Boyhood
    Camille Claudel 1915
    Computer Chess
    The Congress
    The Dirties
    Frank
    Fruitvale Station
    The Golden Dream
    The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Gravity
    Heli
    Her
    Ida
    Inside Llewyn Davis
    The Lego Movie
    Like Father Like Son
    Locke
    The Lunchbox
    The Missing Picture
    Mistaken For Strangers
    Only Lovers Left Alive
    The Past
    Prisoners
    The Raid 2
    Short Term 12
    Starred Up
    A Story of Yonosuke
    Tim's Vermeer
    A Touch of Sin
    Under the Skin
    Upstream Color
    We Are the Best!
    The Wind Rises

I mean I could go on.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Her.....

I was with you, up to that one! :D

Ok, I know film choices are entirely subjecive, but the film critics raved about this one, and I was genuinely looking forward to it myself, but after having watched it, I was left so, so bitterly disappointed that it was utter tripe.

That's probably an unpopular opinion regarding that specific film though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yep.

"Outrage"

"john dies at the end".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

True Detective might well be one of the best shows I've ever seen, but that wouldn't mean that TV as a whole outdoes movies as a whole on quality. What with Hannibal, Game of Thrones, etc, there's definitely some incredible TV being made, and I don't think people doubt that, it's just that shows of that quality can be a bit few and far between. The likes of Breaking Bad, Band of Brothers and The Sopranos show what TV is capable of, but I'd agree with e_e that it still has a way to go before surpassing the movie industry as a whole

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I was with you, up to that one! :D

Ok, I know film choices are entirely subjecive, but the film critics raved about this one, and I was genuinely looking forward to it myself, but after having watched it, I was left so, so bitterly disappointed that it was utter tripe.

That's probably an unpopular opinion regarding that specific film though.
    I was half expecting somebody to stumble across a film they didn't like and use it to dismiss the list as a whole. At least you're not doing that and am admitting that it's all subjective. ;)

To put it into context though: Her would probably not even make my top 30 of the films I've seen this year even though I liked it very much.

Magaggie wrote: »
    Some people are objectively good-looking. When people who don't personally fancy them (which is obviously fair enough) call them "ugly" it seems really resentful or something. I don't fancy George Clooney or Tom Selleck but they are obviously good-looking men.

I pretty much agree but I honestly think Rihanna is nowhere near good-looking. Her forehead looks like it was generated the same way Mr. Sparkle's was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

karaokeman wrote: »
    Sure, the law might be in place but that doesn't make it justified. 95% of people I know agree that people on the Autistic spectrum should be granted those rights assuming they have proven themselves capable of all duties associated with possessing those assets.

The law isn't in place at the moment, it's a bill. And it's not a blanket removal/ban on rights for those with ASD and/or intellectual disability, it's measures for those who, for whatever reason, lack mental capacity to make specific decisions. It's far less restrictive than the current ward of court system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I think Brad Pitt is really ugly. Even when he was young he was a minger but he looks even worse now. I wouldn't touch that with a ten-foot bargepole. I'm female btw.

Me too. He's actually totally pock faced without makeup too.

There's something a bit...cheap...about Shania Twain

The really loud announcement on dublin buses shouting "ramp being lowered, ramp being lowered!!!" and the manic siren is totally uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

12 years a slave is overhyped dribble. I never been as bored in the cinema. Over 2 hours of white guilt being used as a bait for the Oscars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Upstream Color

Ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

Jester252 wrote: »
    12 years a slave is overhyped dribble. I never been as bored in the cinema. Over 2 hours of white guilt being used as a bait for the Oscars.
    It's a true story though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I pretty much agree but I honestly think Rihanna is nowhere near good-looking. Her forehead looks like it was generated the same way Mr. Sparkle's was.

I'd generate my mister sparkles on her forehead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Two completely different mediums. Both have their upsides and downsides and people have their own reasons for which they prefer - some might enjoy the succinctness and artistic expression of cinema, others enjoy the continuing evolution of a television series and the depth of character development that allows. Arguing over which one is better is a bit of a nonsense tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

No Frances Ha. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

I think we should have low quality high density subsidised shoebox accommodation towers available to live in. You should be able to buy a 5 x 5 m dwelling cube / w4nk cave for a ridiculously low price. Yes it will be low quality and you'll be surrounded by all sorts. But its that or the current system that owns the individuals life until they can pay off a mortgage.
    You can buy a sht, cheap car. Why not the same for accommodation, 40 grand should buy you a cube with lockable door, a water tap, a socket, and a hole

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

It's a true story though...

based on a true story I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Frances' life was like a cool, hipster version of my life. Which is really sad for me considering they went to pains to show her life being kinda crap.

That Paris scene though, that'd totally be me.

Two completely different mediums. Both have their upsides and downsides and people have their own reasons for which they prefer - some might enjoy the succinctness and artistic expression of cinema, others enjoy the continuing evolution of a television series and the depth of character development that allows. Arguing over which one is better is a bit of a nonsense tbh.
    Completely agree and that's part of the reason why I roll my eyes every time people talk about TV overtaking movies.
    Good call, liked that film a lot but didn't come to my head right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

12 Years a Slave
    Mistaken For Strangers

I find it hard to take you seriously saying this. The National are the most boring band ever - music for people who find Coldplay a bit too uptempo and exciting. The only possible reason I can see that they became fashionable and critically acclaimed is an elaborate hipster plot to ironically make the blandest band in the world seem cool and popular.

Guess what: I don't even particularly like The National. It goes to show that a good documentary can be made about a subject you have no interest in.

It's more about the lead singer's brother than the band too.

Also trying to justify your dislike of something by saying "it's for people who..." is kind of immature and obnoxious, just saying. I take your word on The National though because I find 'em a little bland too which I guess is an unpopular opinion in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

http://www.google.com/search?site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&ei=UbHWU8PNL5CA7QbXlIGIBw&q=Yotel&oq=Yotel&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.3..0l5.3923.4687.0.5477.6.5.0.1.1.0.208.350.0j1j1.2.0....0...1c.1.49.mobile-gws-hp..3.3.426.1.uQGWxSSEGY0&rlz=1Y1XIUG_enIE547IE548
    I think we should have low quality high density subsidised shoebox accommodation towers available to live in. You should be able to buy a 5 x 5 m dwelling cube / w4nk cave for a ridiculously low price. Yes it will be low quality and you'll be surrounded by all sorts. But its that or the current system that owns the individuals life until they can pay off a mortgage.
    You can buy a sht, cheap car. Why not the same for accommodation, 40 grand should buy you a cube with lockable door, a water tap, a socket, and a hole

Something like the hotel cubicles in Amsterdam and London airports be grand.

www.yotel.com

Disappointingly not a mobile friendly site but check here for pictures....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'd agree, but size isn't what determines the price of a place to live, it's more to do with location. Wasn't there some tiny little ****box going for something ridiculous in dublin recently that was in the news? People might take the idea of building your 5x5m dwelling cube and still charge a couple of hundred thousand for 'em.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement