Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Are you suggesting that only non caucasions have ever been oppressed or enslaved?

Nope. I'm suggesting that all racism should be challenged, regardless of colour or creed. And that the increasing claims that it isn't are bobbins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

All sport is needless ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

1ZRed wrote: »
    It's a joke tbh, and the people who lazily follow it like sheep are no better.
    I wouldn't take people's interest in a sport as an indicator of their intelligence, especially just because the sport is gaining in popularity.

Hmm.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Ush1 wrote: »
    Hmm.....

In fairness that can be very true. How many people avidly supported Man U just because everyone else did while not knowing a thing about soccer a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,239 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Grand, but care to elaborate?

I took soccer as an example to show it's not so infallible or the penical of mainstream sport in ways of skill -if the OP decided to use it to show it above a "dumb sport" like rugby.
    OK, will do.
    Alright I'd say you're trolling, you'd have to be unless you can't see how ironic your post is if you can't explain yourself without the content of your post sounding 'dumb' itself.

Do you know anything about rugby? There's a huge amount of skill involved, more than you'd realise - that takes into account having to think quick on your feet and having to adapt to the situation constantly. Not to mention the sheer amount of physical strength and endurance, and also speed, you need on the field.
    Soccer requires those skills too.
    By that factor is that why you think it's something dumb people like ever more increasingly, because the men are built strong and therefore must be more 'thick' than say another sportsmen?
    You can be an idiot and have all the above skills. Would you call Jonah Lomu or David Campese intelligent? Doesn't mean they're all idiots either.
    What sport would you regard as being more intellectual? Football?
    Looks like you just want to have a go at football. No better than the way yer man had a go at rugby.
    I'd argue there's far more skill and dignity involved in rugby than football. That game is dull with many arrogant, self obsessed players that dive over anything just to get ahead. It's a joke tbh, and the people who lazily follow it like sheep are no better.
    Where do I start. More skill in rugby? That's debatable, I would say it depends on the position, but in general football requires more skill.
    Many arrogant self obsessed players in rugby. Diving is a problem in football, people do it to gain an advantage for their team. Rugby has plenty of cheating going on in it too. Not unusual to see a rubgy match and each team has kicked 15-20 points in penos. No "dignity" in either. You'll see punches and stamps a lot more in rugby. Not much dignity in that either.
    Funnily enough just by watching interviews over the years many football players come across as morons far more frequently than rugby players do.
    Do you really think that's because rugby requires a higher intelligence of player, or something to do with the schools system in ireland? Go to australia or NZ and tell me if the rugby players are "morons" or not.
    When rugby is professional for a few more years, and it's not played mainly by people from private schools, you'll see a difference.
    And besides, I wouldn't take people's interest in a sport as an indicator of their intelligence,
    You just called football fans "sheep".
    especially just because the sport is gaining in popularity. All sport fluctuates in popularity over time. It's nothing to look into and overanalyse.
    It's simple as this, irish club rugby is popular because we're successful. Same with any sport or club in the world.
    Btw, I play rugby myself. I don't think it's hindered my intelligence too much because of it.
    I've played both. I've an interest in both. Both sports have pros and cons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Wow, debates about sports are just as interesting as debates about make-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

In fairness that can be very true. How many people avidly supported Man U just because everyone else did while not knowing a thing about soccer a few years ago?

Well in fairness Izzy I do see the point of people saying that rugby has enjoyed an increase in popularity amongst people who haven't a clue how to play it, due in part I think to "celebrity" players like O' Driscoll and O' Connell.

I interviewed Tony Ward for the school newspaper about 20 odd years ago and he was the nicest chap you could meet, pure gentleman. I honestly couldn't say the same of players nowadays like Stringer and Flannery who have themselves convinced that the world revolves around them, due largely in part to the way rugby has become as much a corporate sport as soccer, much less about passion and love for the game than about how much money they can make from the game.

A typical example of this, in both soccer and rugby, are attendance figures at club matches as opposed to when the national teams are playing, or even provincial teams like Munster and Leinster.

I get a pain in my face meeting people who have either the red or blue jersey on who haven't a bulls notion about the game and wouldn't be seen at a Young Munster or Old Belvedere match, yet think they have a personal affiliation with the more well known players at provincial or national level.

The same of course applies to soccer- You'll see people spend €70 and €80 on a Man. United or Pool jersey but you'd never see them spend €20 on a ticket to go to an FAI game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,239 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wow, debates about sports are just as interesting as debates about make-up.

Hopefully we can get a debate going about pensions. They're always interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Madam_X wrote: »
    Yeh it's like the "Fake tan just looks like fake tan" thing - no it doesn't if it's applied properly and lightly and it's a good quality brand and a shade that's suited to the skin; then it looks like she's not wearing fake tan but has a natural glow.
    I couldn't be arsed using fake tan for my pale bod but friends of mine who are self conscious about their paleness are brilliant at making it look like they just caught a bit of sun.

I'm the same - I'm so pale I think it's better to embrace it and play it up rather than try to change it. I actually wear quite pale foundation (I know a lot of women who will buy one that is 1 or 2 shades above their own tone) to really accentuate my paleness. Then use a reddish lip stain to contrast and natural but defining eye makeup. Getting all excited now thinking about going out the weekend lol :D

I have a feeling this is gonna annoy the posters who are weary of the makeup chit chat - sorry guys! :(

Edit: tan horror story - Mam and her friend decided to go all out one year with fake tan before a trip to spain. First day there, using the outdoor shower before getting into the pool...water starts to turn brown...bah ha haaaaaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 29 debaser13

Cienciano wrote: »
    You were doing well till your silly football rant.
    exactly where was he doing well?? His calling me a troll for having an opinion. Or his exhaustive list of the skills in rugby? (Wouldn't u agree that thinking on ur feet and adapting are the same thing:D).
    And the football thing is just a defensive lashing out, i'd ignore it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I was just confused at you saying the people who follow soccer are sheep and then in the next paragraph saying you don't take what sport people follow as a sign of their intellect.

Alright I'll say this first before I start, I'm not throwing down on soccer it's more addressing the "soccer is king of everything and rugby is for the dimwits" mentality I hear. As I said, I've met plenty of examples who'd contradict that statement and that's all I'm saying.

That guy made a comment that liking rugby was akin to when Homer and Bart were basing each others' heads in with pots or something similarly "dumb" to him.

And I've played both myself, to start off I mainly played soccer for years and enjoyed it a lot, I'm not biased in that sense, but I find professional soccer dull in comparison to rugby - personal opinion.

Both have different skill sets but imo, there's been more demanded of me in ways of skill and overall body/fitness in rugby than soccer. On that front we'll have to agree to disagree.

So I'm not taking an indepth shot at soccer, just that lazy stereotype of rugby has me pulling some punches at soccer alright, I've played both for years I've nothing against them.

I don't want a prolonged debate on this, it's ruining steak and blow job day for me and I have to buy steak! :D

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I get a pain in my face meeting people who have either the red or blue jersey on who haven't a bulls notion about the game and wouldn't be seen at a Young Munster or Old Belvedere match, yet think they have a personal affiliation with the more well known players at provincial or national level.

Why does this bother you? Is it because they haven't put in the prerequisite amount of time to be true fans? It's like sneering at somebody wearing a Metallica t-shirt because they don't know the names of all the b-sides the band have written and haven't bought any Megadeth or Anthrax albums. Why concern yourself with other people's reasons for wearing a jersey or going to a particular match?

Why does this bother you? Is it because they haven't put in the prerequisite amount of time to be true fans? It's like sneering at somebody wearing a Metallica t-shirt because they don't know the names of all the b-sides the band have written and haven't bought any Megadeth or Anthrax albums. Why concern yourself with other people's reasons for wearing a jersey or going to a particular match?

That's not really a valid comparison at all nugget tbh, but we'll run with it anyway to make things easier.

A more valid comparison would be if you had said take a person who says they love metal, yet in conversation could only name Ozzy Osborne as an example of a great metal musician, and the only reason they'll have heard of Ozzy Osborne is because of his high publicity profile, not because of his music.

The same with these people that claim to love the game of rugby, yet in conversation know nothing of the rules of the game, the history of the game, and only know the names of a few higher profile players.

I'm far from the elitist you were getting at, but when I'm sitting in Clohessys bar in Limerick or the Croke Park hotel in Dublin and some numpty is giving it welly about how can I claim to support rugby when I won't even wear a jersey, it does get tiresome having to explain to them I'm from Leinster, I live in Munster, and I've never owned nor worn a provincial jersey, because for me it's never been about which team you support, but rather for your love of the game itself.

This also applies to metal music- it's not about which band you think are "better", it's about your passion for the musical genre.

ps. @OldNotWise (to save me making a separate post):

You should consider giving Nicola Roberts range of dainty doll make up a try, specifically designed for Casper-like complexions:

http://www.everythingforredheads.co.uk/information/full-dainty-doll-make-up-range-now-available/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Unpopular opinion?

I wish weekend activities didn't always have to involve getting wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Unpopular opinion?

Guys who know too much about makeup aren't real men :pac:

Skinny jeans really, really don't look good.

Got a package there of jeans I got online and I don't know if it's a really small fit or I made a mistake and ordered skinny instead, but they're currently around my anckles as I've given up trying to take them off for the minute and I'm sitting on my bed.

While I was wearing them my calves and tighs were uncomfortable and ready to burst out of them, when I sat down they came down to my crack, and in a mirror I looked like a dumbass considering I'm a broad guy and they made my legs look much smaller considering they were so tight, not to mention more feminine.

I hate them. This was my first proper experience with them and I hope it's the last. They look terrible. End of.

I'm not a fatty either if ye're thinking that's the reason why they're a disaster on me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

You can beat an egg, but you can't beat a w@nk.

smash wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion?

Guys who know too much about makeup aren't real men :pac:

Walked myself into that one :D

As it happens coincidentally I know fannyadams about makeup, I just know women that do.

My own personal opinion on make up is that it should only ever be used to complement a girls natural beauty, not conceal it.

Though I do have a foxy haired Casper like friend who does the whole fake'n'bake, lays on foundation with a trowel and eyeliner overshadowed by eye shadow, looks like a completely different person but still looks hot as fcuk! Exceptions to the rule and all that jazz :pac:

Czarcasm wrote: »
    That's not really a valid comparison at all nugget tbh, but we'll run with it anyway to make things easier.

A more valid comparison would be if you had said take a person who says they love metal, yet in conversation could only name Ozzy Osborne as an example of a great metal musician, and the only reason they'll have heard of Ozzy Osborne is because of his high publicity profile, not because of his music.

The same with these people that claim to love the game of rugby, yet in conversation know nothing of the rules of the game, the history of the game, and only know the names of a few higher profile players.

I'm far from the elitist you were getting at, but when I'm sitting in Clohessys bar in Limerick or the Croke Park hotel in Dublin and some numpty is giving it welly about how can I claim to support rugby when I won't even wear a jersey, it does get tiresome having to explain to them I'm from Leinster, I live in Munster, and I've never owned nor worn a provincial jersey, because for me it's never been about which team you support, but rather for your love of the game itself.

This also applies to metal music- it's not about which band you think are "better", it's about your passion for the musical genre.

Tbf though, being a casual fan of the sport over the last 10-15 years, I've heard a lot of complaining coming from expert rugby fans, bemoaning the influx of fairweather fans which is always going to be a by-product of success. I understand there being some frustration when being confronted by some spoofer trying to big up how much they love the game but not everyone that isn't a dyed in the wool fan acts like that. I'll hold my hands up and say that all in the years of watching the sport I've only watched provisional and international games, attended a handful of minor matches and I do have a Leinster top (given to me, not bought). Does the fact that I haven't gone to an Old Belvedere match mean I'm not allowed to enjoy provincial or international games because I haven't shown the appropriate dedication to the sport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,128 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Ian Dempsey is one of the luckiest men alive, who brings absolutely nothing to the table when it comes to presenting a radio show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

That Ginger Hector lad, is a talentless loud annoying bogman. He should be shovelling sh!t in a stables back in Navan, and not be annoying the nation on his stupid radio show.

Rahoo Rahoo Rahoo.

Gobsh!t.

Does the fact that I haven't gone to an Old Belvedere match mean I'm not allowed to enjoy provincial or international games because I haven't shown the appropriate dedication to the sport?

By all means enjoy it nugget, but I'm talking about the collars up, canterbury top and decks types who would enjoy it even more if they actually knew the first thing about it as opposed to just knowing the first names of the more high profile players.

It doesn't really help when they start a conversation with you and you assume they must know something about the game, and then they look at you as if YOU'RE the one looking down your nose at them when in fact you thought you were going to get some good conversation about the game, not just the fashion the players are wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,165 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

MJ23 wrote: »
    That Ginger Hector lad, is a talentless loud annoying bogman. He should be shovelling sh!t in a stables back in Navan, and not be annoying the nation on his stupid radio show.

Rahoo Rahoo Rahoo.

Gobsh!t.

I think you missed the word "unpopular" !:)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Madam_X wrote: »
    Yeh it's like the "Fake tan just looks like fake tan" thing - no it doesn't if it's applied properly and lightly and it's a good quality brand and a shade that's suited to the skin; then it looks like she's not wearing fake tan but has a natural glow.
    I couldn't be arsed using fake tan for my pale bod but friends of mine who are self conscious about their paleness are brilliant at making it look like they just caught a bit of sun.
    So many women though don't apply it properly. For ladies day at the races in Galway loads of women go all out and you see them walking around the square with lovely dresses and hairdo's and it's all ruined by their streaky legs. I've also worked in accommodation and the amount of sheets that get ruined because of fake tan is unreal. How much of the stuff are people applying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

To the beauty forum with you lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

I think the make-up opinions should be shared in the ladies toilets with women who are deemed in need of them.

That would be properly unpopular, and hilarious, so you go girls!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

FGR wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion?

I've been a pretty heavy boozer in the past, and still go on the odd weekend session, but have generally taken a step back these days. I still have friends whose be all and end all is getting completely f*cked up every weekend. Even if we're doing an activity, such as going to a game, or heading to some outdoor show, or has happened before, climbing a mountain, excess alcohol is involved at one stage or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,165 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

FGR wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion?

Eh... they don't?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭sorsha

My opinion would be that Ireland is a country man land and you lack a bit of culture and good manners. :pac:

kill me now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement