Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Unpopular opinion: women look better without make up.

^^JOke. Fner fner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

kupus wrote: »
    That would be me, (I am the disingenuous one I was called at one stage) but my mind is not for turning, I still think it.... Maybe its the confidence that a woman portrays without any make up makes me think that they are more alluring. More natural.
    or
    Maybe its because Ive lived in ex war torn areas were putting food on your plate was more important than vanity powder on your face.
    And interestingly there is a big diff between women in late 20's 30's & 40's who lived through the bad times and the young un's 25 & under who just cake themselves up like Kim Kardashian.

Women in the first bracket didnt have money to spend on cosmetics, beer, wine and junk food and other non essentials and never got into the habit of it whereas..

Women in the second bracket have the money now and are spending their hard earned wages on beauty treatments, bags, sunglasses, and shoes, yet cannot afford to put decent food on the table.

If women feel the need to wear make up to feel confident, who am I to say no. Its your body do with it as you please.

My makeup costs me about ten euro a month. It's hard to work out 'cause I buy it at different times and there are always gifts/swaps etc but we are not all running around with wax strips hanging off us and three inches of fake bake screaming about how we have broken a nail :rolleyes: Most women I know simply wear a little bit of makeup to accentuate and make the most of what they have. They certainly dont hang around girls bathrooms b1tching about other women who dont wear makeup (left that behind 12 years ago thank God). Live and let live :)

Oh and my cooking is nutritious and amazing ;) If I am home late, my OH will be on the sofa starving, waiting for me to cook her a good meal :pac:

Madam_X wrote: »
    Then so do clothes. It's grand to make statements like the above, but obviously you're going to fancy plenty of women wearing light make-up, thus rendering the statement fairly meaningless.

I'd go so far as to respectfully suggest that the poster has met women wearing subtle makeup and not realised it lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

OldNotWIse wrote: »

I'd go so far as to respectfully suggest that the poster has met women wearing subtle makeup and not realised it lol :D

God help her if she ever met the Kayan women of Burma where longer necks are considered more attractive.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayan_people_(Burma)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Czarcasm wrote: »
    God help her if she ever met the Kayan women of Burma where longer necks are considered more attractive.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayan_people_(Burma)
    I remember in school one of our teachers told us that the rings were applied to women over a number of years to lengthen the neck but also to weaken the muscle, and if they were adulterous the rings were removed and the neck would collapse paralyzing them. I never did find out if that was a myth or if there was some truth to it.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I remember in school one of our teachers told us that the rings were applied to women over a number of years to lengthen the neck but also to weaken the muscle, and if they were adulterous the rings were removed and the neck would collapse paralyzing them. I never did find out if that was a myth or if there was some truth to it.

I can't find the link to the National Geographic article where I read about them as it was in the magazine about 20 years ago when I first read about them, but this might answer your curiosity:
    For the Kayan women, the coils confer them a tribal identity, associated with beauty. In fact, the coils ensure that Kayan women will marry only inside their own tribe. The rings, once on, are seldom removed, as it is a somewhat lengthy procedure. Many thought that unfaithful women got, as a punishment, their coils removed, which led to their suffocation because their neck broke, but this is nonsense. Many women removed the coils when they felt it as obsolete or for medical examinations.

Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Giraffe-Women-of-the-Neck-Rings-37412.shtml

It was more or less to point out the fact that we're all getting a bit worked up here about women wearing a bit of face paint, a custom that has been acknowledged in every society and culture in the world since time immemorial, but there are far more aesthetic extremes in certain cultures that would be far more worthy of getting worked up about.

In the western world we all get worked up about the baby feet binding in China (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_binding) because it doesn't sit right with our cultural norms, yet we think nothing of the practice of having our bodies carved up and having plastics inserted or chemical peels and lipo to enhance our bodies in the pursuit of perfection and to make ourselves more attractive.

I would think that a young girl putting on a bit of face paint should be the least of our concerns tbh.

Had to laugh at another posters suggestion that women in their 30's and 40's even use less make up than those girls under 25 when my own mother has a "beauty regime" that would put Cleopatra to shame, and yet she still has a face like a walnut, that's not even to mention the millions of middle aged women in the western world who would put the likes of Jackie Stallone and Joan Rivers to shame with the amount of slap they put on their artificially enhanced visages! :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In the western world we all get worked up about the baby feet binding in China (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_binding) because it doesn't sit right with our cultural norms, yet we think nothing of the practice of having our bodies carved up and having plastics inserted or chemical peels and lipo to enhance our bodies in the pursuit of perfection and to make ourselves more attractive.
    Yep and we do fairly odd things ourselves. Go out of a night and try to see what the parade of women teetering on heels, wearing next to nothing in sub zero temps would look like to a passing alien. Very odd, I'd imagine.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep and we do fairly odd things ourselves. Go out of a night and try to see what the parade of women teetering on heels, wearing next to nothing in sub zero temps would look like to a passing alien. Very odd, I'd imagine.

Nothing wrong with a good pair of heels, get a comfy pair that don't hurt and you're grand

but I agree with the wearing next to nothing thing, honestly don't understand how some women do it :eek:

Quazzie wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Ah, why did you have to go and mention heels. We'll be talking about that now for the next 15 pages…

Ah, why did you have to go and mention heels.
    Well the implication there being that wearing heels is inherently odd, or a somewhat stupid thing to do, akin to wearing skimpy clothes in winter. it's not the case, if you're wearing a decent pair that are good and comfy.
    We'll be talking about that now for the next 15 pages…

...and that's a bad thing? :)

yet we think nothing of the practice of having our bodies carved up and having plastics inserted or chemical peels and lipo to enhance our bodies in the pursuit of perfection and to make ourselves more attractive.

I don't we've reached the point where we think nothing of it yet though. It still shocks the hell out of me. Most women don't do these things - it's not standard practice like foot binding was in China and I'd say it's still the preserve of those with a fair bit of money.

Won't hear me complaining! :p

Links234 wrote: »

Nothing wrong with a good pair of heels, get a comfy pair that don't hurt and you're grand

but I agree with the wearing next to nothing thing, honestly don't understand how some women do it :eek:

It's because Links they feel confident and attractive in clothes that they feel flatter their figure, and this can be an over-riding decision in looks vs comfort.

Some women are as comfortable in a pair of killer heels as they are in reeboks, there's an art to walking in heels that tottering girls haven't learned, but when they do, christ there's not much sexier than a girl who can carry off a micro mini skirt and a pair of six inch louboutins! :D

It's because Links they feel confident and attractive in clothes that they feel flatter their figure, and this can be an over-riding decision in looks vs comfort.

Oh I do get that, I just don't get how they can put up with the cold sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Fashion & Appearance Seriously, we only rambled on about sport for not even 3 pages.

Nothing is so boring as talking about make up and clothes this much

Anyone else just tempted to keep talking about heels just to annoy 1ZRed? :p Is that a popular or unpopular opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

This is why I couldn't handle having a girlfriend. I grew up without any brothers and I've done my time when it comes to this shíte! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'll break the impasse.

'Vaginasthatlooklikecthulhu.com' celebrated female diversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Anyone else just tempted to keep talking about heels just to annoy 1ZRed? :p Is that a popular or unpopular opinion?

Take it to the George.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

may or may not be unpopular, but I hate the George. can't stand the place and wouldn't go there if you payed me. in fact, I pretty much can't stand any gay bars, they're all so tacky and the music sucks >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

may or may not be unpopular, but I hate the George. can't stand the place and wouldn't go there if you payed me. in fact, I pretty much can't stand any gay bars, they're all so tacky and the music sucks >_<

They're okay once in a while. Music in most bars sucks. In fact popular music sucks in general.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I agree :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    They're okay once in a while. Music in most bars sucks. In fact popular music sucks in general.

Not such an unpopular opinion there, plus it's too loud to ask someone for the shift. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Unpopular opinion:
    Cloud Atlas the film is better than Cloud Atlas the book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭sorsha

Unpopular opinion:
    Cloud Atlas the film is better than Cloud Atlas the book.

They are both disaster! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Who in their right mind would like Irish trad music? It's just a sequence of jarring musical notes that add up to a big steaming pile of ****e. Whenever I think of trad, I think of a gombeen who's thicker than Tom from Father Ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

They make me wonder: why is it assumed that all gay adults have the musical taste of a 12-year-old girl?

I said to my friend why bother going to them if they're so sh1t but as he says, its not as easy to meet fellas elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Madam_X wrote: »
    They make me wonder: why is it assumed that all gay adults have the musical taste of a 12-year-old girl?

I said to my friend why bother going to them if they're so sh1t but as he says, its not as easy to meet fellas elsewhere.

To be fair most popular 'straight' clubs play more or less the same music as The George. You'll have nights where the George goes more OTT and plays more tacky stereotypical 'gay' tunes, but places like Coppers play popular chart music, Britney Spears and cheesy old pop tunes as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I'm not sure you would have preferred its previous incarnation, before they opened it up. It was a bit grim and had earned the name "Jurassic Park" before the much needed makeover :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement