Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

starlings wrote: »
    I think the make-up opinions should be shared in the ladies toilets with women who are deemed in need of them.

That would be properly unpopular, and hilarious, so you go girls!
    Nobody said anything catty, apart from the above...

If I think I need make-up to look nicer, than that is surely the opposite to vain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

Madam_X wrote: »
    Nobody said anything catty, apart from the above...

If I think I need make-up to look nicer, than that is surely the opposite to vain?

it's the opposite to unpopular.

it's the opposite to unpopular.
    Yeh fair enough, but you're guilty of being just as narrowminded if you think all women who like wearing make-up and think it makes women look even nicer are all shallow, vacuous bitches who have a good laugh at women who don't. I don't bother wearing it most of the time, so it would be rich of me to judge others who don't.

Yeh fair enough, but you're guilty of being just as narrowminded if you think all women who like wearing make-up and think it makes women look even nicer are all shallow, vacuous bitches who have a good laugh at women who don't. I don't bother wearing it most of the time, so it would be rich of me to judge others who don't.

If I remember right, this started when someone posted that they thought women looked better without make-up, and then all sort of finer points were brought up about virtually invisible make-up.

I thought this thread was for the childish joy of posting an unpopular opinion, without being reined in the populace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

sorsha wrote: »
    My opinion would be that Ireland is a country man land and you lack a bit of culture and good manners. :pac:

kill me now

But then you'd never find out that we're not all uncouths that make immature sweeping statements, clearly displaying our lack of manners, let alone our inexperience and intolerance of a culture besides our own.

There's unpopular opinion, and then there's just throwing nonsense out there and fishing for a reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

If I remember right, this started when someone posted that they thought women looked better without make-up, and then all sort of finer points were brought up about virtually invisible make-up

That would be me, (I am the disingenuous one I was called at one stage) but my mind is not for turning, I still think it.... Maybe its the confidence that a woman portrays without any make up makes me think that they are more alluring. More natural.
    or
    Maybe its because Ive lived in ex war torn areas were putting food on your plate was more important than vanity powder on your face.
    And interestingly there is a big diff between women in late 20's 30's & 40's who lived through the bad times and the young un's 25 & under who just cake themselves up like Kim Kardashian.

Women in the first bracket didnt have money to spend on cosmetics, beer, wine and junk food and other non essentials and never got into the habit of it whereas..

Women in the second bracket have the money now and are spending their hard earned wages on beauty treatments, bags, sunglasses, and shoes, yet cannot afford to put decent food on the table.

If women feel the need to wear make up to feel confident, who am I to say no. Its your body do with it as you please.

The women in their late 20s, 30s (who lived through what bad times?) and 40s still wear make-up, just less of it and applied well, and not like a clown the way a lot of the younger ones you mention do (it has become popular in recent years all right for "daywear" make-up to be extremely OTT).

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with how this woman looks wearing no make-up: http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/celebrities_without_makeup_28.jpg

But do you genuinely think she looks "better" in the above pic than she does here? http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjA3MTkwOTMyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzU1MDI2Mg@@._V1._SY314_CR15,0,214,314_.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭sorsha

Czarcasm wrote: »
    But then you'd never find out that we're not all uncouths that make immature sweeping statements, clearly displaying our lack of manners, let alone our inexperience and intolerance of a culture besides our own.

There's unpopular opinion, and then there's just throwing nonsense out there and fishing for a reaction.

No its what I see around. Small town mentality. Many many nosy, gossip people who think staying in a hotel for a weekend to drink is a "high life" is sometimes boring to see around all the time. No offence but this is how 80% of people are here.

The women in their late 20s, 30s (who lived through what bad times?) and 40s still wear make-up, just applied well, and not like a clown the way a lot of the younger ones you mention do.
    Yes some of them do, a lot of them dont. I cant give a percentage cos then Im talking out of my a##.

So Im just going to say a lot dont wear it.
    what bad times?
    war

She is a celebrity she eats a stick of celery for dinner then says shes full.
    Bad eating habits.

kupus wrote: »

That would be me, (I am the disingenuous one I was called at one stage) but my mind is not for turning, I still think it.... Maybe its the confidence that a woman portrays without any make up makes me think that they are more alluring. More natural.
    or
    Maybe its because Ive lived in ex war torn areas were putting food on your plate was more important than vanity powder on your face.
    And interestingly there is a big diff between women in late 20's 30's & 40's who lived through the bad times and the young un's 25 & under who just cake themselves up like Kim Kardashian.

Women in the first bracket didnt have money to spend on cosmetics, beer, wine and junk food and other non essentials and never got into the habit of it whereas..

Women in the second bracket have the money now and are spending their hard earned wages on beauty treatments, bags, sunglasses, and shoes, yet cannot afford to put decent food on the table.

If women feel the need to wear make up to feel confident, who am I to say no. Its your body do with it as you please.

Never mind a pinch, I'm going to need a whole salt mine and a shovel to throw it over my shoulder for that post!

Honestly I'm not even sure where to start! :pac:

• Advertisement

war
    Oh sorry, thought you meant in Ireland.
    Bad eating habits.
    That's not answering my question. And in fairness, you don't know what her diet is. You said yourself the women in the war-torn area you're familiar with often don't have enough to eat, so if that's the logic you're using, wouldn't their poor diet have an adverse effect on their skin also?

There's a difference too between wearing a bit of make-up and spending a fortune on beauty treatments, handbags, shoes etc.

Yes some of them do, a lot of them dont. I cant give a percentage cos then Im talking out of my a##.

So Im just going to say a lot dont wear it.

war

Bad eating habits.

right, forgive me for hopping sides, but even if I don't see eye to eye with Madam_X, I have to tell you you this, lipstick can mean so much to women after a war; the return to a sense of self. When Belsen was liberated, the women got hold of lipstick and, though it seemed a ridiculous provision, the British army were amazed at how they seized the chance to be colourful and individual again.

First link I could find: http://www.internationalorange.com/blog/the-lipstick-effect/

sorsha wrote: »

No its what I see around. Small town mentality. Many many nosy, gossip people who think staying in a hotel for a weekend to drink is a "high life" is sometimes boring to see around all the time. No offence but this is how 80% of people are here.

No offence at all taken, but I would suggest you need to get out more, or get out of town more! I mean, for some, the idea of a weekend away IS the high life, but not if you're doing it 80% of the time I agree, but I genuinely don't think even 20% of the people in your small town are spending 80% of their time gossiping and being nosy, people have better things to do and are more interested in their own lives. So the question then re your opinion has to be "What have you done at the weekend you'd consider worthy of being interesting enough to talk about?".

If you haven't done anything but spent your whole weekend observing what other people are doing, then the problem really isn't what THEY'RE doing, it's what you're NOT doing ;)

Never mind a pinch, I'm going to need a whole salt mine and a shovel to throw it over my shoulder for that post!
    Honestly I'm not even sure where to start! :pac:
    :rolleyes:
    Oh sorry, thought you meant in Ireland.

That's not answering my question. And in fairness, you don't know what her diet is.
    it dosent take a quant to deduce what celebs eat. Its pretty well documented. And as I said before a lot of the celebs are nothing special to me.
    You said yourself the women in the wartorn area you're familiar with often don't have enough to eat, so if that's the logic you're using, wouldn't their poor diet have an effect also?
    Land is fertile, they had basic food, Often the case was one person working was feeding a whole family or even families. I never said they dont have enough to eat. I said they spent their money on food instead of non essentials. People there are still in tune with the land and grows lots of stuff that can be eaten fresh from the tree/vine/ground

There's a difference too between wearing a bit of make-up and spending a fortune on beauty treatments, handbags, shoes etc.
    So something like loreal coverup or whatever its called doesnt cost a lot of money?

Lots of make-up is very reasonably priced - it doesn't have to be the real fancy stuff like L'Oreal (which isn't even the most expensive). A Rimmel foundation would cost €8.

You're still just guessing on that woman's diet in fairness. Whether you care about celebs or not isn't the point (she's a has-been anyway) - it's just a picture of a woman with make-up and the same woman without make-up and I asked whether you honestly thought she looked better in the no make-up pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Ah jaysus lads. Some people like women who wear make-up and some don't. Some women wear make-up and some don't. We get it. Move on!

Lots of make-up is very reasonably priced - it doesn't have to be the real fancy stuff like L'Oreal (which isn't even the most expensive). A Rimmel foundation would cost €8.

You're still just guessing on that woman's diet in fairness.

Ok put it like this a bag of rice or pasta to feed a family of 6 or a rimmel foundation that would cost 8 euro.

as for her diet, come on youre clutching at straws here

And yes she does look better in the first pic,( I cant open it by the way, but I know its AS.)

:rolleyes:

Feck it I'm having one of those "can't sleep, won't sleep" nights so I might as well entertain your quite frankly IMO ridiculous assertions-

or

And in those war torn areas I'm sure there were still plenty of women whose thinking was polar opposite to your own, dare I say it their priority being to attract a man who would be willing to provide her with the means to put food on her plate.

I'd hardly call it interesting that there were women in my grandmothers age, the era of black and white motion pictures, first world war, Kim K of their day, who were quite fond of laying on the rouge and eyeliner with a trowel, women like Greta Garbo and the original "It Girl" Clara Bow.

I don't know if it's your efforts in a war torn country have colored your perspective or what, but women in the first world war era could well give women nowadays a run for their money. They indulged just as hard as women nowadays do. Absolutely no difference whatsoever.

They can afford to put decent food on the table, they just choose not to, as is their perogative, but that's still no different to the way women were back in the 1920's. As I already mentioned- they liked to party just as hard, and I really don't think Kim K will be going hungry through financial mismanagement any time soon, the very same as her 1920's equivalent back then.

I'd be more inclined to think independent minded women will do what they want and spend their money on what they want, regardless of your opinion, whether unpopular or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭CollardGreens

I love to spend money on cosmetics, hair spray, beer, vodka and other non essentials. I also waste paper products, water and toss plastic in the garbage and never recycle.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

I have no allegiance to any particular brand of tea bag.
    Lyons, Barrys, Own Brand,
    Frankly all taste the same to me :)
    Tea is tea,
    Just like vegetables are vegetables.
    I don't understand how you can justify price difference between a 30c orange and a 99c orange...

• Advertisement

Just like vegetables are vegetables.

Collard Greens taste nothing like carrots or eggplant! ;)

Collard Greens taste nothing like carrots or eggplant! ;)

Within reason and given the odd, blatant exceptions... :P

Not sure if it's done in Ireland since I've never been there, but in the US (at least the southern part) we put vinegar on the collard greens and turnip greens, makes them even more Mmmm better.

I'm afraid can only speak on my own behalf when I say I've never had the pleasure... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

To all those makeup posters... I'll quote one of my favourite sayings...

"Muck and paint, make a woman what she ain't"

everlast75 wrote: »
    To all those makeup posters... I'll quote one of my favourite sayings...

"Muck and paint, make a woman what she ain't"
    Then so do clothes. It's grand to make statements like the above, but obviously you're going to fancy plenty of women wearing light make-up, thus rendering the statement fairly meaningless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

By all means enjoy it nugget, but I'm talking about the collars up, canterbury top and decks types who would enjoy it even more if they actually knew the first thing about it as opposed to just knowing the first names of the more high profile players.

It doesn't really help when they start a conversation with you and you assume they must know something about the game, and then they look at you as if YOU'RE the one looking down your nose at them when in fact you thought you were going to get some good conversation about the game, not just the fashion the players are wearing.

Tbf, anyone with a popped collar on their polo shirt is usually a penis.

Then so do clothes. It's grand to make statements like the above, but obviously you're going to fancy plenty of women wearing light make-up, thus rendering the statement fairly meaningless.

The statement was simply to bring some levity to a thread which was generally lighthearted and easy going until it developed into a fundamental debate on the issue :)

I completely disagree with the statement being meaningless - but I ain't getting roped into talking about makeup ad nauseum - nice try though ;)

Not trying to rope you in, just saying it's hypocritical to judge make-up as fake when you'd fancy women who wear a small bit of it to smooth their complexion and brighten their eyes.
    There's nothing fake about dressing yourself up a bit - it's merely looking your best, which most people do, and they aren't fake.

• Advertisement

Okay, I'll make one reply to your point - then that's it :)

The point of the saying is clearly nothing got to do with women who put on a small bit etc etc. It's more about women who would have to cake it on because they need to. Otherwise it would read "muck and paint covers minor imperfections that most if not all people have"...

Clearly, that's not as catchy :D

That is all.

Anyhoo...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement