Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Madam_X wrote: »
    There's a difference between "Women look better without make-up" as if it's an objective fact and "I think my partner looks better without make-up."

But yeh, I'm sure some people genuinely hold the opinion that a woman with a muffin-top and wearing hot pants and a tank top looks "better" than the same woman wearing a flattering outfit.

Why bring in these points that have nothing to do with make-up other than to try and bump your observation from opinion/perceived wisdom to indisputable fact?

There are many people who appreciate a natural face. It's only a societal norm that really says otherwise. Why, by the same token, do men not look better with make-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

Judging by this thread this is an unpopular opinion - talking at length about makeup is f*cking boring

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Why bring in these points that have nothing to do with make-up other than to try and bump your observation from opinion/perceived wisdom to indisputable fact?

There are many people who appreciate a natural face. It's only a societal norm that really says otherwise. Why, by the same token, do men not look better with make-up?

Make-up goes back to the stone ages in fairness, many primitive cultures used it to beautify themselves, including men, but more men then would've used it to put fear in their prey or their enemies in war as opposed to beautifying themselves.

Even today you'll see cultures like the aborigines, amazonian tribes, hell even the army still use make up camouflage, and I hardly need mention the amount of men carrying concealer in one pocket and a chapstick in the other these days!

Not MY kind of thing personally, but there you go! :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is that some chapstick in your pocket?
    No, it's my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

starlings wrote: »
    I do that with perfume - I suppose I'm just not that visually-oriented, and it's just as subjective. :)

Oh yeah, smell is an amazing power. I actually sometimes can recall memories or places in time more vividly just by smelling something. The memory is often stronger than a visual or verbal reminder! I think the associations remain forever.

Have you noticed how a perfume can smell differently on different people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Judging by the make-up discussion on the last few pages, this seems to be an unpopular opinion:
    Eye make-up looks terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Jesus, enough with the make up already. Quick, somebody say something about St. Patrick's day or Jewish people or how fingers are weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

or how fingers are weird.

should we have feet instead of hands? 'cos that might be even weirder. and think of all the shoes we'd have to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Links234 wrote: »
    should we have feet instead of hands? 'cos that might be even weirder. and think of all the shoes we'd have to have.

I'd say 90% of women are already fully suited,
    Praying for the day to come...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

no, I do not have too many shoes! >_< and that's an unpopular opinion if I ever heard one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 debaser13

unpopular opinion..........i think the recent jump in the popularity of rugby is a symptom of the dumbing down of society???? Oh it feels good to share that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

debaser13 wrote: »
    unpopular opinion..........i think the recent jump in the popularity of rugby is a symptom of the dumbing down of society???? Oh it feels good to share that!!

You can't beat a good ironic username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Oh if ever there was an example of the dumbing down of society it's this comment right here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Are you suggesting that only non caucasions have ever been oppressed or enslaved?
    Well not usually FOR being white, although it can happen - e.g. in Zimbabwe. But I don't think it's true that it's not challenged.

There are many people who appreciate a natural face. It's only a societal norm that really says otherwise.
    I realise I come across as dismissive, but I just found the "expertise" by guys, who in fairness usually don't know much about make-up, to be disingenuous.
    Depends on what angle you think I'm coming from too. I do not think it's impossible for anyone to find a woman very attractive without any make-up; of course it can be the case. I can see how that would add to her attractiveness too as it's fairly refreshing. If a woman is happy enough with how she looks that she can go bare-faced at all times (extremely rare) well that kind of confidence and inner contentment can only be attractive. I think a small bit of well applied make-up would only make her look better and accentuate her best features, but I can understand a loving partner still preferring her not to wear make-up and let her natural beauty show (as well as not having to wait for her to put her face on :pac:).

But saying "Women look better without make-up" is very different to the above. Lots don't (including me) and I used the analogy you pointed out, because I think it's apt - i.e. saying make-up usually makes a woman look better is no different IMO to saying flattering clothes make her look better, or brushing her hair. It's pretty basic stuff. Often too, what appears bare-faced and very natural looking is actually a small bit of make-up.

There's the OTT crud shovelled on and there's bare-faced and a wide valley in between - some seem to think it can only be one or the other, or that all women who wear make-up (i.e. most of us) are shallow and vain, which is just daft, even if it's true in some cases. But across the board, you might as well say women who do their hair and wear well fitting clothes are shallow and vain. The ideal for lots of guys is a woman who looks good no matter what, without make-up (and that's understandable to a degree) but it's not reality most of the time, and they're kidding themselves to think they'd never go for a woman wearing make-up and always for a woman who never ever does (even if that is the ideal). I don't doubt that the latter can happen, but not in the majority of cases.
    matthew8 wrote: »
    Judging by the make-up discussion on the last few pages, this seems to be an unpopular opinion:
    Eye make-up looks terrible.
    Yes, I'm sure you'd say that about the eye make-up of a woman you find attractive. ;)
    It depends on the eye make-up. Clown/panda eyes don't look great usually, but more subtly applied make-up nearly always looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

kidneyfan wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion is that Ricky Gervais is an unfunny twat.

Far more unpopular on boards to say you find him funny.

Ricky Gervais is funny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭Cereal Number

A 26 year old crony shouldnt be allowed to run for election, even if i wanna make love to her mouth

mod:
    banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

I am sofa king glad the 'Irish-American' bloke did not get the popehood. It would have made life even more unbearable, surrounded by religion-addled, attention-seeking, reflected glory hunting minnows. Worse than folk vvanking over Barack 1/64th Irish Obama from Moneygall.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 debaser13

1ZRed wrote: »
    Oh if ever there was an example of the dumbing down of society it's this comment right here
    Dont get me wrong 1z theres nothing wrong with enjoying something dumb.........storage wars....
    And i really admire the spirit that rugby is played in,
    but remember that simpsons when homer and bart put pots on there heads and ran into each other repeatedly.........

Dont get me wrong 1z theres nothing wrong with enjoying something dumb.........storage wars....
    And i really admire the spirit that rugby is played in,
    but remember that simpsons when homer and bart put pots on there heads and ran into each other repeatedly.........

Alright I'd say you're trolling, you'd have to be unless you can't see how ironic your post is if you can't explain yourself without the content of your post sounding 'dumb' itself.

Do you know anything about rugby? There's a huge amount of skill involved, more than you'd realise - that takes into account having to think quick on your feet and having to adapt to the situation constantly. Not to mention the sheer amount of physical strength and endurance, and also speed, you need on the field.

By that factor is that why you think it's something dumb people like ever more increasingly, because the men are built strong and therefore must be more 'thick' than say another sportsmen?

What sport would you regard as being more intellectual? Football?

I'd argue there's far more skill and dignity involved in rugby than football. That game is dull with many arrogant, self obsessed players that dive over anything just to get ahead. It's a joke tbh, and the people who lazily follow it like sheep are no better.

Funnily enough just by watching interviews over the years many football players come across as morons far more frequently than rugby players do.

And besides, I wouldn't take people's interest in a sport as an indicator of their intelligence, especially just because the sport is gaining in popularity. All sport fluctuates in popularity over time. It's nothing to look into and overanalyse.

Btw, I play rugby myself. I don't think it's hindered my intelligence too much because of it.

Izzy making a serious post? I need to lie down! Too early for this :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

1ZRed wrote: »
    Alright I'd say you're trolling, you'd have to be unless you can't see how ironic your post is if you can't explain yourself without the content of your post sounding 'dumb' itself.

Do you know anything about rugby? There's a huge amount of skill involved, more than you'd realise - that takes into account having to think quick on your feet and having to adapt to the situation constantly. Not to mention the sheer amount of physical strength and endurance, and also speed, you need on the field.

By that factor is that why you think it's something dumb people like ever more increasingly, because the men are built strong and therefore must be more 'thick' than say another sportsmen?

What sport would you regard as being more intellectual? Football?

I'd argue there's far more skill and dignity involved in rugby than football. That game is dull with many arrogant, self obsessed players that dive over anything just to get ahead. It's a joke tbh, and the people who lazily follow it like sheep are no better.

Funnily enough just by watching interviews over the years many football players come across as morons far more frequently than rugby players do.

And besides, I wouldn't take people's interest in a sport as an indicator of their intelligence, especially just because the sport is gaining in popularity. All sport fluctuates in popularity over time. It's nothing to look into and overanalyse.

Btw, I play rugby myself. I don't think it's hindered my intelligence too much because of it.
    You were doing well till your silly football rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,896 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is that some chapstick in your pocket?
    No, it's my own.
    I scrolled down around 3 or 4 posts before I got that and then had to scroll back up to thank it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Madam_X wrote: »
    Well not usually FOR being white, although it can happen - e.g. in Zimbabwe. But I don't think it's true that it's not challenged.

I realise I come across as dismissive, but I just found the "expertise" by guys, who in fairness usually don't know much about make-up, to be disingenuous.
    Depends on what angle you think I'm coming from too. I do not think it's impossible for anyone to find a woman very attractive without any make-up; of course it can be the case. I can see how that would add to her attractiveness too as it's fairly refreshing. If a woman is happy enough with how she looks that she can go bare-faced at all times (extremely rare) well that kind of confidence and inner contentment can only be attractive. I think a small bit of well applied make-up would only make her look better and accentuate her best features, but I can understand a loving partner still preferring her not to wear make-up and let her natural beauty show (as well as not having to wait for her to put her face on :pac:).

But saying "Women look better without make-up" is very different to the above. Lots don't (including me) and I used the analogy you pointed out, because I think it's apt - i.e. saying make-up usually makes a woman look better is no different IMO to saying flattering clothes make her look better, or brushing her hair. It's pretty basic stuff. Often too, what appears bare-faced and very natural looking is actually a small bit of make-up.

There's the OTT crud shovelled on and there's bare-faced and a wide valley in between - some seem to think it can only be one or the other, or that all women who wear make-up (i.e. most of us) are shallow and vain, which is just daft, even if it's true in some cases. But across the board, you might as well say women who do their hair and wear well fitting clothes are shallow and vain. The ideal for lots of guys is a woman who looks good no matter what, without make-up (and that's understandable to a degree) but it's not reality most of the time, and they're kidding themselves to think they'd never go for a woman wearing make-up and always for a woman who never ever does (even if that is the ideal). I don't doubt that the latter can happen, but not in the majority of cases.

Yes, I'm sure you'd say that about the eye make-up of a woman you find attractive. ;)
    It depends on the eye make-up. Clown/panda eyes don't look great usually, but more subtly applied make-up nearly always looks great.

I think a lot of people are just thinking of fake bake and tan lines and blue eyeliner and whore lipstick when someone says "makeup"

I reeeeealy want to put up a before and after pic!!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Soccer is a sheep sport. Supporting United or some other British team because their mates do the same. People sit there and watch a boring match that often ends up 0-0. 90 minutes of a waste of time. Also, Soccer is shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are just thinking of fake bake and tan lines and blue eyeliner and whore lipstick when someone says "makeup"

I reeeeealy want to put up a before and after pic!!!! :(
    Yeh it's like the "Fake tan just looks like fake tan" thing - no it doesn't if it's applied properly and lightly and it's a good quality brand and a shade that's suited to the skin; then it looks like she's not wearing fake tan but has a natural glow.
    I couldn't be arsed using fake tan for my pale bod but friends of mine who are self conscious about their paleness are brilliant at making it look like they just caught a bit of sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Hah, soccer did that years ago. And GAA is for people who drink only Guinness and eat only chips with ketchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Bogball is a terrible sport, born out of bitterness. Its main function is to prevent Irish athletes competing internationally in meaningful team sports.

Confab wrote: »
    Hah, soccer did that years ago. And GAA is for people who drink only Guinness and eat only chips with ketchup.

Feck! The above is me to a tee, I'm a guinness drinker who will eat only chips with ketchup and puts only ketchup on my chips, none of that salt and vinegar nonsense that leaves you holding a soggy bag! :D

In saying that though I love rugby and hurling/camogie, can't hack gaelic football at all, I'd have about as much interest in it as I would soccer, though I'd sooner watch the Italian Serie A and Spanish La Liga games than the English Premiership games.

European soccer always seemed to me like putting on a display of skills, flair and teamwork that you just don't see in English soccer because English players (and even foreign players when they transfer in) are so wrapped up in themselves and playing tactics and talking money than they are in playing what SHOULD be a display of what is often referred to as "the beautiful game".

Cienciano wrote: »
    You were doing well till your silly football rant.

Grand, but care to elaborate?

I took soccer as an example to show it's not so infallible or the pinnacle of mainstream sport in ways of skill -if the OP decided to use it to show it above a "dumb sport" like rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Confab wrote: »

And GAA is for people who drink only Guinness and eat only chips with ketchup.

that actually sounds like a lad I know

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement