Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

starlings wrote: »

There is nothing wrong with my freckledy face, nor my curly hair that is still sometimes difficult to keep tidy.

There never was anything wrong with them, but thanks for the sympathy and positive encouragement. :o

I'm sorry starlings, I'm not best known for my complimentary nature, just ask my wife! Yes her bum DOES look big in certain dresses, but I LIKE a big bum! It's just not the answer she wants to hear :o
    What I was getting at is that when the girls would bang on and on about make-up and insist I use it to cover my freckles, or try to fix my hair into a style I didn't want, I would politely decline, hoping they would leave me alone and not laugh behind my back,

I prefer when people talk behind my back tbh, if they can't say it to my face it's not worth listening to and even less worth getting stressed about.

while silently developing my Unpopular Opinion that they were quite an unimaginative bunch of twáts.

Bit of reverse snobbery there though starlings in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I'm sorry starlings, I'm not best known for my complimentary nature, just ask my wife! Yes her bum DOES look big in certain dresses, but I LIKE a big bum! It's just not the answer she wants to hear :o

I prefer when people talk behind my back tbh, if they can't say it to my face it's not worth listening to and even less worth getting stressed about.

Bit of reverse snobbery there though starlings in fairness.

It's kind of reverse snobbery, but not exactly, because I still baffle some women who really like make-up and hair-styling, and they seem to almost feel sorry for me. Like I think you did, a bit :pac: and then it gets a bit lady-doth-protest-too-much, when all I'd like is not to be judged on my looks alone, or for anyone to judge my looks at all. (To my face anyway; like you I don't care otherwise.)

But I stand by thinking the arbiters of grooming are unimaginative, since some people, even some men on this thread, do like a more natural look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Holy Moley, women really know how to go on and on and on about make up…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

It's kind of reverse snobbery, but not exactly, because I still baffle some women who really like make-up and hair-styling, and they seem to almost feel sorry for me. Like I think you did, a bit :pac: and then it gets a bit lady-doth-protest-too-much, when all I'd like is not to be judged on my looks alone, or for anyone to judge my looks at all. (To my face anyway; like you I don't care otherwise.)

But I stand by thinking the arbiters of grooming are unimaginative, since some people, even some men on this thread, do like a more natural look.

I think we should all live and let live :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

There is nothing wrong with my freckledy face, nor my curly hair that is still sometimes difficult to keep tidy.

There never was anything wrong with them
    No arguments there.
    all I'd like is not to be judged on my looks alone, or for anyone to judge my looks at all. (To my face anyway; like you I don't care otherwise.)
    Of course. But is saying a bit of make-up makes people look nicer again really the same as the above? If someone said to me she was unhappy with how she looks specifically, I'd say to her to emphasise the bits of her that she's happy with, e.g. if her eyes, then mascara will bring them out more; her lips - a bit of lip-liner. It's to enhance, not to change. And I wouldn't be thinking it would change her life or anything, but might give her a small boost. If a woman does not wish to wear make-up though, I'm not saying there's anything remotely wrong with that.
    I didn't seek approval from the "boy-mad" crowd either - I had extremely pale skin and jet black hair with streaks of red in it and wore only what I wanted and a style of make-up that was purely what I liked, not what was deemed fashionable.
    Grooming and being imaginative are not mutually exclusive, unless you can be a bit more specific. Just because people on this thread say they prefer a more natural look doesn't mean they're ruling out grooming.

All I was saying was "Women look better without make-up" is not a correct thing to say in so so many cases - it doesn't mean they always look terrible without it but not "better" without it, given how it smooths out blemishes and brightens up a complexion. I was not saying every woman should wear make-up though.

• Advertisement

case of my sensitive skin and a few split ends here I think, Madam_X. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Jazzmaster

Mardy Bum wrote: »

How could anyone not find this funny.

Gervais is an unfunny twat 99% of the time but, credit where credit's due, that's a feckin funny clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Madam_X wrote: »
    Takes minutes to apply - not insecurity, just liking looking my best.

I didn't mean your insecurity - i meant my ex. Anyone who can not bear to be seen as they really are, even just in passing by complete strangers and needs an hour long ritual to leave their house has an issue or two if you ask me!
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Mine takes 10 mins to apply, max. You just got unlucky picking someone taking hours, if they genuinely did
    Good eyeliner does improve anything!

Oh she definitely did. I still see her around quite regularly and by the looks of things she hasn't changed (we lived together 10 or 12 years ago)
    Madam_X wrote: »
    but anyone who says "women" across the board look better without make-up obviously knows they're being disingenuous.

I don't think women across the board look better without makeup, i just have an extreme preference for the ones who do! Some, quite obviously need all the help they can get.
    What I was getting at is that when the girls would bang on and on about make-up and insist I use it to cover my freckles, or try to fix my hair into a style I didn't want,

I think freckles are sexy! Why people plaster over them with greasy shít is a mystery to me. I know one girl who goes out looking like a wax work model of herself, all to hide her freckles - which to my mind are her nicest feature.

I'll try and word this as delicately as possible because there's a line between an unpopular opinion and what could be construed as an offensive one, so here goes:

There's too much of an emphasis or exposure, a disproportionate amount really, of overtly and outrageously effeminate gay men on television nowadays. It's like a persona they put on to play up to a stereotype!

Examples include Louis Spence, Carson Kressley (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy), Jack McFarland (Will and Grace), and, well, any gay man that appeared in Sex and the City!

I watched Alan Carr the other night who interviewed Rylan Clark (an X Factor contestant who played up to the overtly camp gay stereotype on the X Factor), and the difference between how he played up on the show (who will ever forget his reaction when Nicole Sherzinger told him he was through, comedy gold! :D), and how he came across on Alan Carr was like night and day! He still played the somewhat "ditzy Essex" stereotype, but he was far more subdued and could actually talk normally without going all nasal and high pitched like he'd caught his balls in a vice grip!

At least Gok Wan is somewhat tolerable given he can still appreciate "a decent set of bangers!" :D

I didn't mean your insecurity - i meant my ex. Anyone who can not bear to be seen as they really are, even just in passing by complete strangers and needs an hour long ritual to leave their house has an issue or two if you ask me!.

I agree. I often go without makeup at weekends/evenings taking the dog out to the park etc . But I love putting on makeup and just feeling 100% beautiful :D

• Advertisement

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I agree. I often go without makeup at weekends/evenings taking the dog out to the park etc . But I love putting on makeup and just feeling 100% beautiful :D

Ain't no harm in that!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

But not all Independent Group papers are lazy journalism are they?
    Most of it is yes

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm not really convinced that a lot of people who identify as gay are 100% so.

I'm not convinced that a lot of people who identify as hetero are 100% so

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

That guy in the wheelchair should have been refused at that nightclub if he was in any way an insurance risk, I'd have done the same myself and I think it's far more of an outrage that a guy got sacked for doing what he must have thought at the time was the correct procedure. He was placed in a tough spot and got ****ed over by the willingness of people to jump on any passing bandwagon for some moral outrage at nothing. Much like the guy who got restrained in the Sydney Mardi Gras parades for being an aggressive little scumbag.

I'm not convinced that a lot of people who identify as hetero are 100% so

I would agree with that too :o

token101 wrote: »
    That guy in the wheelchair should have been refused at that nightclub if he was in any way an insurance risk, I'd have done the same myself and I think it's far more of an outrage that a guy got sacked for doing what he must have thought at the time was the correct procedure. He was placed in a tough spot and got ****ed over by the willingness of people to jump on any passing bandwagon for some moral outrage at nothing. Much like the guy who got restrained in the Sydney Mardi Gras parades for being an aggressive little scumbag.

I'm guessing my unpopular opinion is that I don't really give two sh¡ts about what happened on the night at this stage and considering there's already been a thread locked on it, there's no need to break up this fascinating conversation on make up with more of the same.

I would agree with that too :o

But do you 100% agree?

But do you 100% agree?

Yup :D
    No...

Wait...
    Damn... ;)

Racism is only challeneged when it affects...certain ethnicities :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Racism is only challeneged when it affects...certain ethnicities :(

A myth put about by that well known oppressed and enslaved ethnicity, the caucasian :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting that only non caucasions have ever been oppressed or enslaved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

The Beatles - Don't like them, whats up with them anyway ??

I have only met one other person in my life that agrees with me.

I find their songs annoying tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

the_monkey wrote: »
    The Beatles - Don't like them, whats up with them anyway ??

I have only met one other person in my life that agrees with me.

I find their songs annoying tbh..

Are you more a fan of The Monkeys instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

thunderdog wrote: »
    Are you more a fan of The Monkeys instead?

:) got me ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

There should be a televised pope olympics to find the winner every time one of them dies or resigns.

I'm completely unmoved by art. OK its not really an opinion, more of an admission.

1ZRed wrote: »
    There should be a televised pope olympics to find the winner every time one of them dies or resigns.

I just got a woeful mental image of old men in dresses lining up in the Vatican yard to play leap frog with each other, totally forgetting to do the leap when they take a run at the old guy bent over in front of them-

"oops, seems I made a cardinal error and managed to bury the bishop, tee hee".

*shudders* :(

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I just got a woeful mental image of old men in dresses lining up in the Vatican yard to play leap frog with each other, totally forgetting to do the leap when they take a run at the old guy bent over in front of them-

"oops, seems I made a cardinal error and managed to bury the bishop, tee hee".

*shudders* :(

Well, at the minute they've all locked themselves into a room for an undecided amount of time, so it's up to your imagination to fill in the blanks :pac:

I'm sure there'll be plenty of filling being done alright :P

I do that with perfume - I suppose I'm just not that visually-oriented, and it's just as subjective. :)

• Advertisement

Things in the country are very low. I often find myself hunching over to do stuff like buttering/cutting things on tables and counters. I'm not even that particularly tall either so it must be a bitch for taller guys again.

The average height for men in this country is 5'10, so why does it seem like everything is designed for the old average of 5'8?

It just would make sense for things to adjust to the population who are just getting taller by the generation, similar to what holland are doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement