Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Madam_X wrote: »
    Majority of women look better with subtly applied, natural looking make-up - nothing controversial there. When guys say they prefer women wearing no make-up, they mean the above. The whole point of well applied make-up is to look as if you're not wearing any or wearing very little.

Not his guy. I prefer no make up, as in actually no make up. I do accept that it can improve some women, but the trick is to find one who you think looks well without. It makes life so much better when you don't have to wait hours for the missus to get ready every time you leave the house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Not his guy. I prefer no make up, as in actually no make up. I do accept that it can improve some women, but the trick is to find one who you think looks well without. It makes life so much better when you don't have to wait hours for the missus to get ready every time you leave the house!

Did you go out with a drag queen?? lol only joking. I think its a cliche about women spending hours on makeup. I spend an hour all in getting ready for a night out and that includes shower/hair and probable glass of wine :D One thing that I do find silly is women who constantly touch up their makeup when they are out, going off to the bathroom every half hour to put on more lippy (that will just get left on the pint glass anyway lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Girls with a rake of slap think this is really beautiful. As for the orange tan? Crikey, are they short sighted or something? They look like caricatures :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

kidneyfan wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion is that Ricky Gervais is an unfunny twat.

How could anyone not find this funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Oh the naivety of the "Some women look better without make-up" line. Keep telling yourselves that. And yeh sure, you'd consider spots, blemishes, broken capillaries, dark circles, pastiness SO much more attractive than that skin with just a light spreading of a skin-matching foundation that merely evens things out. Your open-mindedness, I'm not convinced by - or else you don't fully understand how properly applied, minimalist make-up works.

What do you mean by make-up? Eye make-up unquestionably makes nice eyes look even nicer. It doesn't take long to put it on with practice either. Lipstick doesn't suit every woman for sure, foundation should only be skin-matching and light - none of that heavy chocolate/orange muck, garish eyeshadows look clownish. But all the right stuff simply makes women look better - and saying it doesn't just reeks of thinking you know about a subject, which you haven't an iota about.

I'm sure some women look as good without make-up, but "better"? Kidding yourselves. Better with less make-up maybe. And in the case of natural beauties, make-up just makes them look even more stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Mardy Bum wrote: »

How could anyone not find this funny.

The Office and Extras were brilliant, Ricky Gervais is excellent in my opinion. The only show on the same level is Arrested Development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

Oh the naivety of the "Some women look better without make-up" line. Keep telling yourselves that. And yeh sure, you'd consider spots, blemishes, broken capillaries, dark circles, pastiness SO much more attractive than that skin with just a light spreading of a skin-matching foundation that merely evens things out. Your open-mindedness, I'm not convinced by - or else you don't fully understand how properly applied, minimalist make-up works.

What do you mean by make-up? Eye make-up unquestionably makes nice eyes look even nicer. It doesn't take long to put it on with practice either. Lipstick doesn't suit every woman for sure, foundation should only be skin-matching and light - none of that heavy chocolate/orange muck, garish eyeshadows look clownish. But all the right stuff simply makes women look better - and saying it doesn't just reeks of thinking you know about a subject, which you haven't an iota about.

I'm sure some women look as good without make-up, but "better"? Kidding yourselves. Better with less make-up maybe. And in the case of natural beauties, make-up just makes them look even more stunning.

I take your point about covering blemishes, but it makes me sad to see teenage girls and young women in make-up, when - unless they have spots from hormones, and not all of them do - their skin is the softest and peachiest it will ever be.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Did you go out with a drag queen?? lol only joking. I think its a cliche about women spending hours on makeup. I spend an hour all in getting ready for a night out and that includes shower/hair and probable glass of wine :D One thing that I do find silly is women who constantly touch up their makeup when they are out, going off to the bathroom every half hour to put on more lippy (that will just get left on the pint glass anyway lol)

An ex of mine used to take at least an hour before she would leave the house, double sometimes treble that if we we're going somewhere nice - it was ridiculous. I've only gone for ones who don't wear makeup, or at least wear it rarely ever since! Lifes just too short to wait around like that again.:)
    Oh the naivety of the "Some women look better without make-up" line..

You are aware that people can have different tastes? I very much prefer my girfriend without makeup, she'd wear it on the odd ocassion like weddings and so on - but makeup only ever looks like makeup, no matter how much you kid yourself about it looking natural!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

An ex of mine used to take at least an hour before she would leave the house, double sometimes treble that if we we're going somewhere nice - it was ridiculous. I've only gone for ones who don't wear makeup, or at least wear it rarely ever since! Lifes just too short to wait around like that again.:)

So if you're due out for 19:30 tell her 18:30. That's what I've always done and it's always worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

starlings wrote: »

I take your point about covering blemishes, but it makes me sad to see teenage girls and young women in make-up, when - unless they have spots from hormones, and not all of them do - their skin is the softest and peachiest it will ever be.

The problem is more I think that many girls and young women don't know how to apply make up properly, and then more women apply cheap, greasy make up that can exacerbate and even cause even more skin problems than it covers up.

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    So if you're due out for 19:30 tell her 18:30. That's what I've always done and it's always worked.

I done that, but it's still waiting. Plus we couldn't just get up in the morning and leave the house, or decide on a whim to go out. It always had to be shower, hair and makeup, absolute minimum of an hour - it was just torture tbh. Has to be some sort of deep seated insecurity if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

MugMugs wrote: »

ha I used to do that with an ex, forever late

You are aware that people can have different tastes? I very much prefer my girfriend without makeup, she'd wear it on the odd ocassion like weddings and so on - but makeup only ever looks like makeup, no matter how much you kid yourself about it looking natural!
    Not if it's so well applied as to look natural.

I don't actually wear foundation - I'm lucky I've clear skin. And I don't wear lipstick or colourful eyeshadow. But I wear eye make-up, and it definitely makes me look better. Takes minutes to apply - not insecurity, just liking looking my best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Mine takes 10 mins to apply, max. You just got unlucky picking someone taking hours, if they genuinely did
    Good eyeliner does improve anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I agree that well-applied make-up can enhance someone's appearance. Not so much that they're unrecognizable (that would be the ones who don't apply it so well), but eyeliner, for example, can really emphasise how beautiful a girl's eyes are. That said, there are plenty of women who are beautiful without make-up, and I do know a couple of girls who genuinely rarely ever wear make-up, and they still look great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

And I know a lot of women who rarely wear make up that have faces like a bag of spanners.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

bluewolf wrote: »
    Mine takes 10 mins to apply, max.

That's cos you're naturally hot. Stop boasting. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,269 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Mine takes 10 mins to apply, max. You just got unlucky picking someone taking hours, if they genuinely did

With Homer Simpson's makeup gun?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Who's max?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I think people who are caked in orange makeup look ridiculous as well but not everybody is skilled in the makeup department. I rarely, if ever, wear makeup when going to college or work cos I just couldn't be arsed getting up earlier than I need to to apply makeup. But when I'm meeting friends, going out for drinks, going clubbing I always wear makeup. This ranges from something light, that only takes a little while, to spending ages doing eye make up cos I suck at it. It's like anything else in life, some people are good at applying make up, some aren't.

I also laugh at the "Women look much better with no makeup" arguement :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

People drink coffee because they like the taste and the sensation it gives when you're tired/hungover. Not because it's cool in America. FFS. Why can't some people accept that just because they don't like something, doesn't mean others are "pretending" to like it?
    Oh the naivety of the "Some women look better without make-up" line. Keep telling yourselves that.

Your opinions are even unpopular with one another.

I don't actually wear foundation - I'm lucky I've clear skin. And I don't wear lipstick or colourful eyeshadow. But I wear eye make-up, and it definitely makes me look better. Takes minutes to apply - not insecurity, just liking looking my best.

but that is in the eye of the beholder, no? not Mrs Mirror Mirror on the Wall.

Fair enough you feel you look better with your make-up routine, but if others hold the (unpopular) opinion that you don't, or "women" don't, you won't convince them.

There's a difference between "Women look better without make-up" as if it's an objective fact and "I think my partner looks better without make-up."

But yeh, I'm sure some people genuinely hold the opinion that a woman with a muffin-top and wearing hot pants and a tank top looks "better" than the same woman wearing a flattering outfit.
    but that is in the eye of the beholder, no? not Mrs Mirror Mirror on the Wall.
    Nope. It's in the amount of positive male (and female) attention I get when I have eyeliner/mascara/small bit of eyeshadow on (and absolutely no other make-up) compared to when I don't. The "eye of the beholder" stuff is denial.
    Fair enough you feel you look better with your make-up routine, but if others hold the (unpopular) opinion that you don't, or "women" don't, you won't convince them.
    Well the former might be a rare occurrence (yes, maybe someone with an unusual outlook thinks I look better without make-up) but anyone who says "women" across the board look better without make-up obviously knows they're being disingenuous.

There's a difference between "Women look better without make-up" as if it's an objective fact and "I think my partner looks better without make-up."

But yeh, I'm sure some people genuinely hold the opinion that a woman with a muffin-top and wearing hot pants and a tank top looks "better" than the same woman wearing a flattering outfit.

Mmm... :o

I kid, I kid! :D

No, genuinely, the best example of this is my wife asking me does she look well, and she does, but she looks even better when she makes an effort to dress up a bit and do her hair and make up.

It's the same with anyone, it's not some deep seated insecurity, it's just about making an effort to look your best, and when you look your best, you feel your best and you feel that much more confident in yourself.

see now I hold the opinion that I'm back in the girls' toilets at school, and the pretty princesses are going to shriek with laughter as soon as l leave the room with my bare freckledy face and unmanageable hair.

see now I hold the opinion that I'm back in the girls' toilets at school, and the pretty princesses are going to shriek with laughter as soon as l leave the room with my bare freckledy face and unmanageable hair.
    But that's not what I'm saying at all. Merely saying make-up usually makes a woman look better doesn't automatically mean she's a fecking state without it; it just makes her look better. I've no issue whatsoever with people thinking I look pasty and plain when I've no make-up on.

I certainly wasn't one of the pretty princesses when I was a kid btw.

Yes but now you're of an age where you can do something about your freckledy face and unmanageable hair?

I mean, children can be cruel (and even some adults never got past the cruel child stage), but just as most children mature into adults, so too should people who were teased as children back then.

I'm not the same child who went to school with the àrse missing out of my trousers showing off my paisley underpants and my uniform shirt missing half the buttons. I can laugh at it now but back then, Jesus! :pac:

There's a Maury "geek to chic" show in there somewhere! :pac:

Yup. I sometimes get my eyelashes and eyebrows tinted just so that some days I can go without makeup and still have a bit of definition. God hates me - he gave me blonde eyebrows :(

But that's not what I'm saying at all. Merely saying make-up usually makes a woman look better doesn't automatically mean she's a fecking state without it; it just makes her look better. I've no issue whatsoever with people thinking I look pasty and plain when I've no make-up on.

I certainly wasn't one of the pretty princesses when I was a kid btw.

Me either. I was a really scaldy kid - big red face, no hair til I was 4, sticky out ears and always "too tall for my age". I'm not surprised my Mum had PND - if I had a child who looked like that I'd be depressed too :D (sorry PND joke bad taste I know)

• Advertisement

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Yes but now you're of an age where you can do something about your freckledy face and unmanageable hair?

I mean, children can be cruel (and even some adults never got past the cruel child stage), but just as most children mature into adults, so too should people who were teased as children back then.

I'm not the same child who went to school with the àrse missing out of my trousers showing off my paisley underpants and my uniform shirt missing half the buttons. I can laugh at it now but back then, Jesus! :pac:

There's a Maury "geek to chic" show in there somewhere! :pac:

There is nothing wrong with my freckledy face, nor my curly hair that is still sometimes difficult to keep tidy.

There never was anything wrong with them, but thanks for the sympathy and positive encouragement. :o

What I was getting at is that when the girls would bang on and on about make-up and insist I use it to cover my freckles, or try to fix my hair into a style I didn't want, I would politely decline, hoping they would leave me alone and not laugh behind my back, while silently developing my Unpopular Opinion that they were quite an unimaginative bunch of twáts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement